General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Allow myself to introduce....(ahem) myself. Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-08 2:04 PM

User image

Regular
So Cal.
Subject: Allow myself to introduce....(ahem) myself.

Hello.

I am a long time lurker (borderline stalker, really).  This is my first post to any website ever, but since this sport and particularly this website are singularly responsible for my recent rescue back from the brink of workaholism, alcoholism and a once inevitable decline into a middle aged, bloated, Hitchcockian silhouette, I think I owe it to everyone to at least warn you that I am out there......

In all seriousness, I'm not dangerous.  It's just that this triathlon thing came along and ate me whole.  I don't think of much other than my first race.  I make protracted detours during the workday to window shop for gear.  I'm at risk of losing my job for misuse of company internet resources.....  Is there a support group or therapy out there for such a thing?  (my significant other would like to know..)

I am currently sitting , perplexed, by the sidelines as the angels and devils of my concious furiously bludgeon each other in a debate over whether or not to sign up for an XTERRA event in August as my first race.  I have all of the reluctance of any first timer over this.  Advice anyone?  Is an XTERRA a reasonable first event?  Are they generally receptive to ultra-extreme novices like me?

Sorry for the diatribe, thanks for listening,

Bill

2006-07-08 2:15 PM
in reply to: #476650

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Allow myself to introduce....(ahem) myself.

You've got issues!  Welcome to a site full of people with the same issues. 

You've happened upon a web site containing bike, run, swim, information, and gear addicts.  So run (but make sure you proper cushining in your shoes) if you want to escape.   

BT is an excellent resource.  Use the log function and make friends who you can "inspire" and who "inspire" you.  Support is key. 

As far as the XTERRA goes, that is an extreme event.  I'd encourage you to try a local sprint tri first (mountain bikes on the road are okay) but if you can complete and enjoy an XTERRA race, go for it!  I just don't want to see you discouraged.

Welcome to BT!  Enjoy.  Tri hard, rest harder! 

2006-07-09 9:00 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Dude, this is the place to be. And you fit in perfectly

I understand how you and how much you want to start competing. If you think you can do the XTEERA do it. Of course I am of the kind of person that says the more races the better But take a close look at the race, especially the bike profile and if you think you can do it. I say go for it.

If you have a chance, then go take a look a Tri in person, just to get a felling for it, it will be day well spend. Best of luck to you.

2006-07-09 6:04 PM

New user

Wow you sound like a future triathlon publication feature writer...
2006-07-13 11:21 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
christian rope - 2006-07-08 2:04 PM

In all seriousness, I'm not dangerous. It's just that this triathlon thing came along and ate me whole. I don't think of much other than my first race. I make protracted detours during the workday to window shop for gear. I'm at risk of losing my job for misuse of company internet resources..... Is there a support group or therapy out there for such a thing? (my significant other would like to know..)

Sounds familiar.  One year ago Saturday I participated in an Olympic distance relay where I did the swim.  I was mostly a slacker before that and had a horrible swim at the race.  However, I was completely hooked and started running only a couple of days after.  I never thought I'd enjoy running but I think its my favorite of the three sports now.  

As far as the support group, well, you're here.  Its called BT.  Of course, nobody here's going to help you quit.  In fact, we'll all egg you on to do an Ironman.

Welcome aboard BT, Bill.  I hope you find Triathlon and BT to be as wonderful and fulfilling as I have.  Just remember that the beauty of a life well lived comes with just a hint of balance.    

Cheers!

Tom 

2006-07-14 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

Welcome to BT, Bill!!!!

Xterra IS an extreme event... If you think you can do it, go for it...however, I would also encourage you to do a local tri first, to get an idea of the race dynamics.  When is Xterra?

2006-07-14 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
So Cal.

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the advice.

The race I'm thinking about is at Snow Valley in Running Springs, Southern California.  From what I can tell, it's chort for an XTERRA event.  1000 yd swim, 11 mi. bike, 4 mi. run.

Although everyone's advice is well heard, devil may still make me do it.........

2006-07-14 3:12 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Hmmm...maybe that's not the one I was thinking of.....not sure?
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Allow myself to introduce....(ahem) myself. Rss Feed