General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-04 10:58 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle.

So BTer's, what is your method?  I'm a "bigger" guy at 6'-3" 185 lbs, but this shouldn't really matter.  I need a saddle that doesn't suck.  For those of you that finally figured out what saddle worked for you, how did you go about it?  No offense to those of you who "just got lucky"....I have already tried that technique for the past 4 + years and I'm too impatient.  Yes, I have had a bike fit by a reputable fitter and yes everything else is comfortable.

Someone must have a bigger brain on here than I do.  Help a brother out.  No sarcastic remarks from Pauley required.

THANKS!

2013-04-04 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4686605

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas
Subject: RE: Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle.

Many bike shops have testing saddles that can be used for a while to determine what works best.  My former LBS had a set of Selle and a set of Cobb saddles.  I ended up with a Cobb that has worked well  - I'm an inch taller and 20lbs heavier than you.

Good luck.

2013-04-04 11:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle.

Go to your LBS and see if they have Demo saddles. If not find one that does and then try everyone of the saddles they have even if you find one you like keep trying them ALL or just get the one you like and call it a day...

I must have rode ten different models even a few "womens" models on a recommendation... 

Not about the Brain its about the Bum and NOT the Peter Sagan Bum....

Edited by 1_Mad_Madone 2013-04-04 11:19 AM
2013-04-04 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Queen Creek, AZ

Trial and error. 

On the road bike, I suffered through 2 saddles until I found my 3rd one was working without the same ill effects as the first 2.

On the tri bike, I used the Fizik Tri Arione (I think) for a year until it, well, didn't work anymore.  I researched the saddles out there, tried all sorts on the loaner program (about 4) and ended up with the ISM Prologue.  It has it's own challenges growing into it, but all the other problems associated with those others were gone.  After several hundred miles of using it, it is the one.  Angels sing, things are happy, and flowers sprout from the cracks in the asphalt as I go by.

So, I guess for me, it was reading other people's input (which is pretty inconsistent and I don't put too much stock in it), researching construction, materials, manufacturer's claims, manufacturer's history and ideas, and then trying them out longer than just 2 rides or a week.  I tried them out for quite a few rides...good luck!

2013-04-04 11:41 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Specialized dealers will have an "assometer" that accurately measures the distance between your sit bones.  You can then make an educated decision about the width of saddle you need.  If you still have the old saddles-take them with you.  They all had something in common; you didn't like them.  Why?  Length, shape, cushioning?  Try to avoid buying another saddle that's got the same features as your old ones.  Good Luck!  I'm in the process of replacing a great saddle myself.
2013-04-04 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4686679

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

jeffnboise - 2013-04-04 12:41 PM Specialized dealers will have an "assometer" that accurately measures the distance between your sit bones.  You can then make an educated decision about the width of saddle you need.  If you still have the old saddles-take them with you.  They all had something in common; you didn't like them.  Why?  Length, shape, cushioning?  Try to avoid buying another saddle that's got the same features as your old ones.  Good Luck!  I'm in the process of replacing a great saddle myself.

Ah...very good idea.  I actually haven't thought of bringing all the other saddles in that didn't work.  Unfortunately I only have the most recent.  Sold all the others back on eBay, etc.  I will do my best to find a Specialized dealer with this assometer.  I'm real psyched about that.  I wish I could tell you the reason I don't like them.  It's just an overall pressure thing.  After 35 miles or so, I just start getting this pressure that I can't pinpoint.  It's the whole saddle I think.  The first 1.5 - 2 hours are okay, then things just start to ache.  Not friction...just ache.

2013-04-04 11:53 AM
in reply to: #4686704

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
jgerbodegrant - 2013-04-04 10:50 AM

jeffnboise - 2013-04-04 12:41 PM Specialized dealers will have an "assometer" that accurately measures the distance between your sit bones.  You can then make an educated decision about the width of saddle you need.  If you still have the old saddles-take them with you.  They all had something in common; you didn't like them.  Why?  Length, shape, cushioning?  Try to avoid buying another saddle that's got the same features as your old ones.  Good Luck!  I'm in the process of replacing a great saddle myself.

Ah...very good idea.  I actually haven't thought of bringing all the other saddles in that didn't work.  Unfortunately I only have the most recent.  Sold all the others back on eBay, etc.  I will do my best to find a Specialized dealer with this assometer.  I'm real psyched about that.  I wish I could tell you the reason I don't like them.  It's just an overall pressure thing.  After 35 miles or so, I just start getting this pressure that I can't pinpoint.  It's the whole saddle I think.  The first 1.5 - 2 hours are okay, then things just start to ache.  Not friction...just ache.

You said you've had a proper bike fit, but when someone comes into my shop and has zero success on multiple saddles-I start looking at a bike fit issue. 

2013-04-04 12:27 PM

User image

Oh my - assometer. Perfect word choice. Lol.

2013-04-04 1:57 PM
in reply to: #4686709

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
jeffnboise - 2013-04-04 12:53 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2013-04-04 10:50 AM

You said you've had a proper bike fit, but when someone comes into my shop and has zero success on multiple saddles-I start looking at a bike fit issue. 

Oh definitely....talked to my bike fitter.  They are doing an evaluation for me....and they just got this sweet action.  Worth a try if you ask me!

2013-04-04 11:00 PM
in reply to: #4686679

User image

Davenport, IA

jeffnboise - 2013-04-04 11:41 AM Specialized dealers will have an "assometer" that accurately measures the distance between your sit bones.  You can then make an educated decision about the width of saddle you need.  If you still have the old saddles-take them with you.  They all had something in common; you didn't like them.  Why?  Length, shape, cushioning?  Try to avoid buying another saddle that's got the same features as your old ones.  Good Luck!  I'm in the process of replacing a great saddle myself.

Unfortunately the assometer doesn't help with tri saddles.  Unless you're sitting up so upright that you're on your sitbones.  That's why Specialized just designed the new saddle that's meant to support your pelvic bones forward of your sitbones.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Saddle fit. I need a comprehensive system to find the right saddle. Rss Feed