General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice--two races in two weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-06 6:40 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: Advice--two races in two weeks

Okay, I realize for some of you this is normal, but for me it isn't. Owing to relative poverty (by triathlete standards) and isolation, I normally race only 4-6 times a year. Somehow I have wound up in two tris a week apart. (The date on the second one was changed, and I didn't look carefully before I registered.) The first is an "international distance" (1800m swim, 62 km bike, 12 km run); the second a standard sprint. By far most of my training since December has focused on the first race. It's the first major tri in Vietnam and includes some pro athletes including (believe it or not) Chris Lieto and Macca!Cool It's a very big deal for our tiny, tiny tri community.

Any advice for getting through this? For the first race, I've arranged to take the day off work and hang out at the beach/pool for about half of Monday before heading back, and am thinking some easy swimming would help recovery. I'll be at work (read, on my feet, crazy busy all day) Tuesday through Thursday, and then traveling to Singapore Friday (local holiday) for the sprint tri on Sunday. Should I do ANY swim/run during that time? (I probably won't even unpack my bike, so road and trainer riding is out.) Or just try to rest up? WWBTD?

2013-04-06 8:59 AM
in reply to: #4689156

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Advice--two races in two weeks
I've had years when I've done as many as 40 or so races. I never had a race that left me so depleted that I couldn't function within a couple of days. Not quite the same but once I had a solid PR in a marathon and only 6 days later won the overall in a sprint duathlon.So I would take a rest day after the first race, then train as normal. It looks like you've been doing sufficient volume to support this.
2013-04-06 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4689156

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Advice--two races in two weeks
The good news is the second race is just a sprint. Prepare fully for the Int. distance race and you'll rock the sprint. Take a full day off, then do a swim/ lite run the next day, good bike the next and so on....I've got a sprint the week after a 70.3 this year. You're in great shape you'll be fine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice--two races in two weeks Rss Feed