General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a HIM during First IM Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-07 4:43 AM

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Subject: Doing a HIM during First IM Training

I am seriously contemplating doing the Beach 2 Battleship as my first 140.6.  I am a pretty experienced triathlete and I did the Miami Man HIM last November and really enjoyed it. I think I'm ready to have my first IM experience and I'll have the time to train in the upcoming months.

I live in VA so I am thinking of doing the Patriot Half on the 7th of September as a midpoint check for my IM training.  The HIM would be Sept 7 and the IM would be 8 weeks later on October 26th.

I've read various articles etc that encourage doing a HIM while training for an IM and would like thoughts from those who have tried that approach.  I think the timing of these two events would work if I am going to do a HIM in the middle of training.  

Thanks!

2013-04-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4689828

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Doing a HIM during First IM Training
Nothing wrong with this idea or the timing of the races, as long as your training plan has the race built into it. My opinion is the concept of incorporating the HIM into the plan is probably more important (as both a test and a confidence builder) for people with less experience at the IM distance. You do get a confidence boost when you finish the HIM thinking you had a lot more to give!
2013-04-07 9:14 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
8 weeks out is perfect timing!!!
2013-04-07 10:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I don't know that it is that important.  For me, it was actually a confidence de-booster.  I had an awful HIM 8 weeks from my IM that actually shook my confidence and made me question how I could finish an IM.  My previous HIM had gone perfectly.

The arguments for it include practicing race day nutrition and pacing, as well as to break up the monotony of training, among others.  But on the other hand, if your training plan calls for a mini taper and recovery for the HIM, you will actually lose valuable training time just eight weeks from your A race.  Nutrition and pacing can and should be practiced during your long rides and runs.

So I don't think it's necessary but you won't be wrong for doing it either.  Just look at why you are doing it and what the value you are trying to get from it.

Best of luck, it is an amazing experience!

2013-04-08 3:15 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I did one - I liked the race simulation and getting the additional OWS in a race (I am a nervous swimmer).  It was even nice to practice aid stations on the bike which can be tricky to navigate.  It was a hot race in comparison to my IM and I did take a few off days around it but tried not to race too hard knowing that I would need to get back into training right away.  It didn't seem to have a negative impact on the rest of my training. It worked out to be a great confidence boost - I had a great IM. 

Plus, it's nice to race - training for IM is a bit of a grind in my mind and having a few races planned helps to break it up a bit and remember how much I enjoy the sport.

2013-04-08 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

I have a HIM planned during my IM training as well....more like 12 weeks away, but I think your plan should work ok.

Since your HIM is closer your IM, I would think the trick is to get all the long rides & runs in, according to plan.  I find the taper, race, and recovery does interfere with training, but you really can't bypass these stages of racing.

2013-04-08 4:23 PM

User image

Loves Park
I would reccomend it. Its not quite the same but you get to dial in your nutrition a little bit and get your body ready to go for a long time. Just make sure to give your body some extra time to recover. Last year I did a half two months before a full and tried to do a 115 mile bike the next weekend. My body was not quite ready and I only made it about 80 before I was done.
2013-04-08 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
MA

It depends...

Are you a seasoned athlete that recovers well?

Will it bring more stress or joy to your life?

If you are injured or injury prone, racing 8 weeks out from IM may not be a good idea.

If you are older, it may take longer to taper and recover.

If you have been an endurance athlete for many years you will likely recover faster and if newer athlete you may take longer to recover and put a 3-4 week hole into your IM training.

To many factors to say yes or no without more facts.

2013-04-09 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I should say that while my pre-IM HIM sucked, I DID learn a ton from it and did not repeat those same mistakes (nutrition/hydration) in my IM.  It was a tough lesson to learn, but learned nonetheless.
2013-04-09 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4693305

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Do it, or not. I don't think a HIM as part of the training plan is necessarily bad but I also think you can easily skip it. You have already done an HIM so you know about nutrition etc and how you feel going very long. However, the step from an HIM to an IM is significant so I don't really think it will help with confidence (are you really going to be more confident knowing you can do a HIM now? You already know that...). Personally I think you will get more from an extra killer bike ride or long brick or something that will help you feel really lousy so that you can see how your body reacts to being on the go for a long time. I also dont think the extra OWS experience will really be of much benefit (does one extra swim help?). I think it opens you to injury because most people push harder in a race, even if they say they won't. Plus it is expensive. So if you wanna do it, do it. I dont think it is necessary at all though. Good luck at B2B if you decide to do it. Its a wonderful race!

2013-04-12 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
I did a HIM during my IM training.  In fact it was in my training plan ("Be Ironfit").  If I recall it was about 8-10 weeks before the IM.

2013-04-14 6:54 AM

New user

Arlington, Virginia
Thanks to everyone for thoughts and advice.  I will seriously consider it but will also make sure it is firmly in my training plan and that I plan time to recover if I do it.  Thankfully I'll have a little time to decide...since it isn't an IM brand event I don't have to plan my life a year out .  I know that last year when I was training up for my HIM, I had one more int'l distance planned as a training session, but I had a kick race at the Nation's Tri and decided to coast to the HIM on the good feelings from the Nation's Tri rather than risk a bad race closer to my headline event.  I'll take all of your suggestions into account as I make up my mind...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Doing a HIM during First IM Training Rss Feed