General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real brick = PR for my run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-08 7:33 AM

User image

Regular
Levittown, PA
Subject: First real brick = PR for my run

So I have messed around at the gym after getting off of the spin bike and getting on the treadmill and the results have been pretty good.  Legs feel relatively good and I set my run to about 10min miles just to take it easy and get the feeling of running coming off of the bike.  Well, yesterday I went over to the location of my Sprint Tri that is happening in a few weeks and decided to do my first real brick by doing the bike course and then the run course.  Bike went awesome, I stayed on the big ring for about 90% of the ride and crushed the time I was hoping for.  I wanted to finish the 10 mile bike in about 40 mins and ended up doing it in just over 35 mins.  To add to that, I threw the bike in the van and headed out for the run.  I know people say you will probably run faster off of the bike then you usually do........... WOW are they right.  After about 1/4 mile I tried to guess my pace and I was thinking about 9:30 to 9:45 ish, I hit the button on my Nike+ app............... 8:02 pace.   HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!  I didn't even feel like I was moving.  I decided to try and back it down a bit, I didn't want to go nuts on this run.  I checked my pace at the 1 mile mark and it said 8:14.  Jeeeez, I was still moving.  Since I felt great and still had a lot left in the tank I decided to keep that pace.  I finished the 3 mile run with a new PR of 24:52 for 3 miles.  What a great feeling.

I still don't want to get overly excited about my times in practice as I have no idea how I will feel on race day, but when starting this journey towards my first tri, my only goal was to finish.  After several months of hard work I am now starting to get the feeling that I not only want to finish, but I want to crush the time that I have set in my head.   Still have to remain humble, but doing the bike and run course prior to the race really gave me some super confidence.   

Edited by spiderjunior 2013-04-08 7:34 AM

2013-04-08 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4690931

User image

Regular
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: First real brick = PR for my run
CONGRATS!!!   I've done lots of bricks and I have an affinity for running off the bike.  All depends on the person.  But I find that is one of the my strengths.  As slow as I am, I lose less than others running off the bike.
2013-04-09 5:20 AM
in reply to: #4690931

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: First real brick = PR for my run
This is my experience as well. My 10K PR is actually in a tri. I think it has to do with running cadence... my cadence is a little higher when I get off the bike than in a freestanding run
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First real brick = PR for my run Rss Feed