General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot discomfort. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-09 6:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Foot discomfort.
Alright. Yesterday when I woke up and started walking I felt like there was a bump on the bottom of my left foot. It's on/between ball of my big left toe and the joint area it seems. It doesn't really hurt so far. Physically there is no bump there. I don't see a bump or can't feel one when I feel the area. The area doesn't appear to be swelled up either. This morning it pretty much feels the same. Maybe a tad better I guess. I had my long run Sunday afternoon and didn't feel anything until I woke up yesterday afternoon after working all Sunday night.

I plan on trying to run tonight. Anyone got a clue what's going on here?

2013-04-10 11:22 PM
in reply to: #4692645

User image

Concord, CA
Subject: RE: Foot discomfort.
Sounds like metatarsalgia, and only rest will heal the condition. Mine started a couple of years ago, 2 months prior to Vineman. Had the pebble feeling at the met head of my second toe. Mine was attributed to the second toe being longer than the big toe. Saw the podiatrist and he said I need to take it easy on the mileage or it will get worse. Well, he wasn't wrong . I pushed through the pain with Motrin, ice, and massaging the area with a small super ball and I ended up walking about 1/3 of the marathon. Had surgery scheduled three months after the race, and with rest the pain and pebble feeling went away. Surgery canceled. So now I'm training for Ironman Coeur d'Alene and I just ran the Santa Cruz 1/2 marathon and halfway through, that old familiar feeling started to come back. Been painful since. Will I stop training, no. Will I avoid speed drills, yes. Will I finish the race, yes. Will I go sub 12, TBD. Good luck.Mike
2013-04-13 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4692645

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Foot discomfort.

Thanks for the advice.  I had the feeling almost gone the other day and did some speed skills drills as my workout plans call for.(Training for IMWI this year)  It flared up after I was done.  It is not really painful just annoying/weird feeling.  If I really push down on it I get some pain/discomfort.  Tomorrow I have my long run planned.  1:30-2 hours.  Think I will adjust my route so I am running on crushed pavement instead of blacktop/cement.  Maybe that will help ease my pains.  Most of my runs (90%) are all done on hard surfaces.  Thinking if I eliminate some of that maybe it will help ease this ball feeling away.

I definately can't afford to be laid up and have surgery!.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Foot discomfort. Rss Feed