General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI vs swim speed secrets Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-09 10:13 AM

User image

Regular
Texas
Subject: TI vs swim speed secrets

I am new to triathlon (about to run my 3rd race this weekend). Of the 3 sports, swimming is the one that I have the most experience with throughout my life, but I'm still nowhere near "good" at it.

When I started training my friend gave me the TI book. I used it for my first race, and did ok. The more I used the TI method though, the more I felt like I could be more efficient and go faster. That lead me to Taormina’s Swim Speed Secrets.

I liked the book, and have been using it since January. I am faster, I will say that. But I am still a wreck in the pool trying to get this technique down. I also have started to have some swimmer's shoulder/tendinitis flare up at times. I am not ready to ditch this method yet, I just wanted to know if anyone else has struggled this way switching over.

I need to say that I have not put a lot of volume in just yet. The longest I have swam using this is a mile, and I have only done that once. Could this just be something that will improve with volume (as most things do)? I am more concerned with the tendinitis than anything.

Thanks for the help!

2013-04-09 10:50 AM
in reply to: #4692991

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Subject: RE: TI vs swim speed secrets
AFter having read/watched and studied both, i think both can be helpful to the new swimmer/triathlete. I don't think it has to be one OR the other. TI has some good basic concepts that are helpful to understand with regard to body position. SSS really focuses on importance of the PULL - generating power. Yes, you need good body position, but SSS focuses on the pull. She is not an advocate of OVERgliding or the thought that body position alone will get you there. I take both concepts and they have both helped me- it does not have to be one or the other.
2013-04-09 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran

Well, maybe we can decide which one's better:  Windows or Mac in the process

Actually, there are a lot of threads discussing this very thing with a long back and forth between AdventureBear and Yanti - those two give very good background on each approach and I think it boils down to which one will suit you best.  I'll try to find the link.

I've gravitated toward the SSS and have had very good success (from 2:00/100 yards to 1:45), but a lot of it is probably just spending more time in the pool.

More experienced ones will be along in a moment, but this set of videos can also serve as a good resource:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi5R65Isxw

Good luck,

twomarks

2013-04-09 10:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I would stay away from overgliding.  Yes, you are conserving energy.  My thought is if you are gliding, you are not propelling. 
2013-04-09 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

I think it's less about one being better than the other and more about each one serving different purposes. TI helps adults feel comfortable in the water. Adult swim lessons for lack of a better term. They focus on aspects of ease and comfort, and barely touch on the specifics of power and speed. SSS is more about how to become a faster swimmer for those who are already swimmers. Some of the information will counter each other, and that's not a big deal. Certain details you focus on to get comfortable lose their value once you graduate from comfortable to fast. It's that grey area that usually sparks most of the debates around here. So I would say that if TI got you across the pool and SSS made you faster, then you're on the right path.

2013-04-09 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4693110

User image

Regular
Texas
twomarks - 2013-04-09 10:54 AM

Well, maybe we can decide which one's better:  Windows or Mac in the process

Actually, there are a lot of threads discussing this very thing with a long back and forth between AdventureBear and Yanti - those two give very good background on each approach and I think it boils down to which one will suit you best.  I'll try to find the link.

I've gravitated toward the SSS and have had very good success (from 2:00/100 yards to 1:45), but a lot of it is probably just spending more time in the pool.

More experienced ones will be along in a moment, but this set of videos can also serve as a good resource:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fi5R65Isxw

Good luck,

twomarks

I've officially spent half the day watching these videos. Great help, thanks.

Thanks for the advice everyone, it's what I needed to hear. I guess I just wanted some reassurance for what I was doing.

2013-04-09 7:30 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Good advice here. The main issue is that for most folks there is only so much you can learn when self-coached from books. When you stop improving (or even before) get some private instruction or coaching.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TI vs swim speed secrets Rss Feed