General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to workout or not to workout, that is the question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-10 9:37 AM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas
Subject: to workout or not to workout, that is the question

i have a duathlon on sunday.  5k, 19M bike, 5k.  i have been feeling pretty tired all week.  eyes are grainy and tired.  should i do my normal workouts today - friday, or just rest? 

today my normal workout would be to swim at lunch for 40 minutes and run after work for 30 minutes.  Because it's the week before a race, i would just do these at an easy pace.

tomorrow would be on the trainer for an hour.  around 16-17mph

friday i was just going to lift weights instead of swim/run

would it be better for me to just rest?

2013-04-10 9:48 AM
in reply to: #4694566

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: to workout or not to workout, that is the question

I would dial things down a notch - maybe even take today off and get some needed rest (if that is lacking).  But I wouldn't take all the time off till the weekend.  If you do that you'll likely be very flat come race day - you need to keep up a certain level of activity going into a race. 

My suggestion, would be to still do the trainer ride tommorrow, but maybe lower the overall effort of the ride, but throw in 5x2min of intensity (determine the effort level on how you feel), and then ride the rest in a mix of comfortable/hard state, but I would not overdo it.  I personally wouldn't do weights on the Friday, and would choose to run.  Again, let your energy levels dictate the pace and distance, and I would again throw some short 1min intervals at race pace just to remind the legs what they'll be doing on the weekend.

2013-04-10 10:10 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS

I'd second the notion that you should still do some kind of activity before your race, but the effort level should decrease if you're feeling lagged/heavy muscles/ fatigue. There's no magic bullet here, but like was suggested above I would probably mix in some very short race effort sets into your workouts and leave the other bits to be a pretty aerobic effort (not a slug, but not breathing hard either). 

As for the particular efforts you want to mix in will just depend on your training schedule lately. The best general advice I could give on that is make sure the interval is not going to be exhausting by any means despite your effort at that race pace. So as suggested above if that 2 minute interval is for whatever reason too difficult then just dial it down to 1:30, it's about keeping those muscles cycling through the proper pace and cadence you're going to race at, not progressing fitness. 

I'd also second skipping the weights for Friday, but possibly doing a shorter session of your swim and run if that's what you typically do. As one of my coaches put it to me, keep the same number of "touches" (activity types and frequency) the same as usual, but lower intensity.

You didn't mention what your Saturday workout schedule typically dictates for the week? 

2013-04-10 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
jjupiter100 - 2013-04-10 10:37 AM

i have a duathlon on sunday.  5k, 19M bike, 5k.  i have been feeling pretty tired all week.  eyes are grainy and tired.  should i do my normal workouts today - friday, or just rest? 

today my normal workout would be to swim at lunch for 40 minutes and run after work for 30 minutes.  Because it's the week before a race, i would just do these at an easy pace.

tomorrow would be on the trainer for an hour.  around 16-17mph

friday i was just going to lift weights instead of swim/run

would it be better for me to just rest?

Why would you lift weights 2 days before a race?

2013-04-10 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran

I think I would take today off and make sure to get some quality rest/sleep tonight. Tomorrow, spin on the bike, maybe with a few faster efforts.

Friday I would run and/or swim - pretty easy. Stay loose. 

No weights! You don't need to be breaking down muscle like that.

2013-04-10 12:37 PM

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas

weights were going to be light.  i try and lift about once every two weeks while i'm in tri season.  i figured that would be better than making my legs more tired.

i skipped the swimming for lunch today.  i will just take it easy on the bike.

i felt quite a bit better after eating lunch today too.  that could be part of it.  i've been trying to dial the food back a bit lately.  maybe i'm not eating enough/often enough.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to workout or not to workout, that is the question Rss Feed