General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using trainerroad during IM training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-10 8:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Subject: Using trainerroad during IM training

Hey all.  I've got 2 more weeks on Jorge's power program on TR and I'm very happy with the workouts and results.    Currently I've been doing 4 rides a wk, the three Jorge prescribed rides (M,W,F) and a "long" ride (which hasn't been that long, but will now that the weather is turning) on saturdays.  

My question: As I finish the plan, I would like to continue riding 4 times a week up to IMLOU this August.  3 rides on the trainer M,W,F and my long ride on Saturday.  Those of you that use TR do you have any recommendations of which workouts to do for the 3 rides on the trainer M,W,F?  I'm thinking of doing something like this - M: Threshold Intervals W: Threshold/VO2 intervals F: Sweet spot intervals.  The logic being the tougher load workouts earlier in the week and the sweet spot ride setting me up for long ride on sat and long run on sun.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

2013-04-12 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4695624

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
Subject: RE: Using trainerroad during IM training
I haven't used TR in awhile because I hate the trainer, but 2-3 of their workouts a week plus one long ride outside on the weekend would be a home run.  Which workouts or plan?  I dunno.  Shoot Nate an email through their website and I bet he has something already loaded that is perfect.
2013-04-12 2:11 PM

Veteran
Tennessee
I would be curious as to what Nate says.
2013-04-15 1:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Anyone have an email for Nate?
2013-04-15 1:41 PM

User image

Master
I have Chad's who is the "head coach" at TR.
2013-04-15 8:20 PM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA
I posted it to their FB page.  Hopefully someone will come by and help out.  

2013-04-16 7:39 AM

Master
Northern IL
japewang - 2013-04-10 8:37 PM

Hey all.  I've got 2 more weeks on Jorge's power program on TR and I'm very happy with the workouts and results.    Currently I've been doing 4 rides a wk, the three Jorge prescribed rides (M,W,F) and a "long" ride (which hasn't been that long, but will now that the weather is turning) on saturdays.  

My question: As I finish the plan, I would like to continue riding 4 times a week up to IMLOU this August.  3 rides on the trainer M,W,F and my long ride on Saturday.  Those of you that use TR do you have any recommendations of which workouts to do for the 3 rides on the trainer M,W,F?  I'm thinking of doing something like this - M: Threshold Intervals W: Threshold/VO2 intervals F: Sweet spot intervals.  The logic being the tougher load workouts earlier in the week and the sweet spot ride setting me up for long ride on sat and long run on sun.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

How well do you recover from the higher intensity workouts? Something I see is that while sweet spot tends to be lower intensity than the other two, the volume goes up considerably for it to be effective. The training load from those rides tends to be higher and not sure that would be so good if you're planning a long ride the next day.

What I've done in the past is M: 2 x 20, Tu: Sweet Spot or shorter Low Z4 intervals, Th: VO2 intervals or 1 x 20, Sat: long ride. I think I would have been ok if I'd moved the Tu & Th workouts to Wed & Fr, but I could recover well enough from the VO2 if I kept the overall workout short. I could run hard on Friday. Hence the question on your ability to recover from them. Not the same day, but by the next day.

Edited by brigby1 2013-04-16 7:40 AM
2013-04-16 7:41 AM

Hey Japewang,

Most of the current plans at TR are day on/day off intervals during the week with 1-2 weekend intervals and/or long rides, so you could easily take one of the Build I plans, Int or Adv, and rearrange things a little bit.

Choose one based on your weekly hours, and gradually determine if the stress is something from which you can adequately recover each week since 3 days of intervals is rigorous to say the least. Some riders can tolerate this, others overreach too far when adding that 3rd workout - if this describes you, make the 3rd workout a recovery ride and sprinkle some short, random intervals into your long weekend ride. 

So you could use the Int Build I plan and simply do the intervals M/W/F instead of T/Th/S and then shift the long ride to Saturday. Similarly, for the Adv Build I just omit the Wednesday workout (or better yet, do a short recovery ride, you'll benefit vastly), shift the rest of the workouts to your selected days, and then make the Saturday workout a non-intervals day since you'll be coming off of a Friday workout and I don't think Sunday would be sufficient recovery coming off of back-to-back interval workouts (your following week/s would pay the price).

You're planning a lot of time on the bike in addition to your swimming & running workouts, and while I admire your ambition I just want to preach responsive training, i.e. go hard on the days you feel up to the task and back off a bit (or entirely) on the days you feel flat (terrible), and don't hesitate to alter your training plan if things aren't headed the direction you want.

Best of luck!

2013-04-16 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4702237

Veteran
Tennessee
[email protected] - 2013-04-16 7:41 AM

Hey Japewang,

Most of the current plans at TR are day on/day off intervals during the week with 1-2 weekend intervals and/or long rides, so you could easily take one of the Build I plans, Int or Adv, and rearrange things a little bit.

Choose one based on your weekly hours, and gradually determine if the stress is something from which you can adequately recover each week since 3 days of intervals is rigorous to say the least. Some riders can tolerate this, others overreach too far when adding that 3rd workout - if this describes you, make the 3rd workout a recovery ride and sprinkle some short, random intervals into your long weekend ride. 

So you could use the Int Build I plan and simply do the intervals M/W/F instead of T/Th/S and then shift the long ride to Saturday. Similarly, for the Adv Build I just omit the Wednesday workout (or better yet, do a short recovery ride, you'll benefit vastly), shift the rest of the workouts to your selected days, and then make the Saturday workout a non-intervals day since you'll be coming off of a Friday workout and I don't think Sunday would be sufficient recovery coming off of back-to-back interval workouts (your following week/s would pay the price).

You're planning a lot of time on the bike in addition to your swimming & running workouts, and while I admire your ambition I just want to preach responsive training, i.e. go hard on the days you feel up to the task and back off a bit (or entirely) on the days you feel flat (terrible), and don't hesitate to alter your training plan if things aren't headed the direction you want.

Best of luck!

Since more and more BT members are using trainer road, any chance in the future there will be tri specific training plans. At the very least a HIM and IM. Alot of us like to be told exactly what to do. I tell everyone I know that cycles about trainer road.

2013-04-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4702233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
brigby1 - 2013-04-16 7:39 AM

How well do you recover from the higher intensity workouts? Something I see is that while sweet spot tends to be lower intensity than the other two, the volume goes up considerably for it to be effective. The training load from those rides tends to be higher and not sure that would be so good if you're planning a long ride the next day.

What I've done in the past is M: 2 x 20, Tu: Sweet Spot or shorter Low Z4 intervals, Th: VO2 intervals or 1 x 20, Sat: long ride. I think I would have been ok if I'd moved the Tu & Th workouts to Wed & Fr, but I could recover well enough from the VO2 if I kept the overall workout short. I could run hard on Friday. Hence the question on your ability to recover from them. Not the same day, but by the next day.

Thanks for the feedback and the idea.  I'm actually doing the plan I stated right now, but my long rides are not long at all right now.  Doing Jorge's plan on MWF with a 2-2.5 hour ride on Sat.  So far so good in the recovery dept. 

2013-04-16 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4702237

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
[email protected] - 2013-04-16 7:41 AM

Hey Japewang,

Best of luck!

Thanks a bundle for the advice Chad.  I actually was looking at doing exactly one of what you recommended with the build plans.  Will be mindful of watching the recovery.  I would echo the sentiments of others that some tri specific plans that are mindful of bike and run for HIM or IM would be a great value add to the TR product.  Keep up the good work and thanks for providing a great training tool.

2013-04-16 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4702989

Master
Northern IL
japewang - 2013-04-16 3:01 PM

Thanks for the feedback and the idea.  I'm actually doing the plan I stated right now, but my long rides are not long at all right now.  Doing Jorge's plan on MWF with a 2-2.5 hour ride on Sat.  So far so good in the recovery dept. 

Do know that this was still rather challenging. What I did to help balance things out was make sure to hit the 2 x 20 and the hard Thursday workout up where I was supposed to, as those are very targeted workouts towards specific intensity levels. I varied the intensity and volume of the other days, pushing what I could but still be able to make targets on the Mon & Thurs workouts. The Tues & Sat rides were more for generating lots of aerobic stress, so there is more freedom on what can be done there.

2013-04-16 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4703239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
brigby1 - 2013-04-16 6:36 PM
japewang - 2013-04-16 3:01 PM

Do know that this was still rather challenging. What I did to help balance things out was make sure to hit the 2 x 20 and the hard Thursday workout up where I was supposed to, as those are very targeted workouts towards specific intensity levels. I varied the intensity and volume of the other days, pushing what I could but still be able to make targets on the Mon & Thurs workouts. The Tues & Sat rides were more for generating lots of aerobic stress, so there is more freedom on what can be done there.

Good call.  Sounds like I'll need to use some trial and error to see how I recover from my intervals as my long rides/runs on the weekend get longer.  Then I can think of juggling the weekday workouts around.

2013-04-16 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4703259

Master
Northern IL
I'm not quite sure what all you have for measuring the workouts, but since you're on trainer road, you'll at least have virtual power on the trainer. What can really help there is the TSS, or Training Stress Score. This can assist in telling the physiological cost (or size) of a workout. The higher level intervals will generate a lot of points fast, but because they're high intensity, you can't do as much. So the cost may not be as high in TSS overall. Trying to do anything the same day after them will still really suck, but a day or two out recovery should be more similar to an easier intensity ride that generated similar TSS. So for those non-specific days, watch this number more and see what it does for you. Whether you get into Z4 or Z5 at all on these days is up to you, but the goal is generating more stress. Riding at various intensities within that will help develop you more and will help make you a more knowledgable and skilled rider. And it's just more interesting to do.
2013-04-17 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member

Question...given this is an IM plan, how much value are those supra-threshold/VO2max/Z5 workouts? 

I could see doing them occasionally, but not as part of a regular weekly training schedule for an IM.  Sounds like a lot of recovery cost for limited (if any) benefit.

2013-04-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4703624

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova

Mike,

Actually what I've read online in articles in research is quite the opposite.  That high intensity intervals during the week coupled with your long ride serves to raise FTP and allow you to hold a higher watt output in your endurance/tempo area where you need to race the bike leg in order to bike faster and have "fresh" legs for the run.

2013-04-19 7:58 AM
in reply to: #4704129

Master
Northern IL

Table 2 over here might help to see benefits of various intensities. Try to look at it more as improving overall bike fitness, especially in an aerobic sense. Some aspects of performance are trained for more effectively by spending some time working at the harder effort levels. It's not so much going hard to get used to going at that level, but in promoting a response of some part of development. The chart shows that the lower zones (like 2) does push on some aspects, but only very little. With those aspects, it takes a LOT of training to promote a response there. Especially as one improves, the volume of training needed to keep on improving can become astronomical. By working at the higher intensity here and there, one can generate a much bigger response more quickly so those areas do not become limitations.

The chart does have a lot of things, probably more than most want (or need) to remember. It should be fine to simplify it down to threshold work, VO2 work, and lots of basic aerobic work. I do, and it's much easier to work with. Do know that the harder intensity work is still very much aerobic, so that's where the variability on the other workouts in an earlier response of mine came from.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Using trainerroad during IM training Rss Feed