General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chlorine kills me! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-30 3:11 PM

New user
Subject: chlorine kills me!
Hey,

Anyone have any trouble with chlorine? I am in training for my first tri and am doing 90% of the swimming in open water. I did a swim at a pool to check for distances and drills, but chlorine kills me! I have a skin condition that hasn't appeared in maybe a year and after one swim it flared up, also in the past when I have swum I noticed I got cold sores a lot. Anyone find anything that works against this? I wouldn't mind doing another couple pool swims to do drills and stuff.

Thanks.....Kirsten

2004-06-30 3:17 PM
in reply to: #34629

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: chlorine kills me!

"Take the pain...!"  - Tom Berringer, platoon

Either accept the skin condition and pool swimm sparingly, go to the doctor or swim only in the lake.  Other than showering immediatly after swimming in the pool, I don't think your going to find many alternatives, even after the doctor....

Good luck!

Edited by tmwelshy 2004-06-30 3:17 PM
2004-06-30 3:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-30 4:37 PM

Elite
New City, New York
Kirsten,
As to cold sores, a daily dose of Lysine is a good preventative. I don't take it daily but as soon as i feel the "tingle" i OD on them. Lysine combined with Abreva (again at the first sign) have really helped minimize the pain and duration ( in fact sometimes they don't even come out).

A fellow sufferer,
Mark
2004-06-30 9:21 PM

I have a little different situation; but the chlorine is the problem also.
I am just starting my swimming training and this is a big problem for me.
Yesterday I tried swimming without goggles but had to keep my eyes shut most of the time because the chlorine burned them.

Today was the first day swimming in the pool with goggles but there is still some water that gets to my eyes. After 5 minutes, they are burning. After 20 minutes, they are really painful and all red.

1) Is there anyway to make the goggles stop leaking ?

2) Maybe I need new goggles. What goggles leak the least ?

I am using a set of Ironman goggles with a big black rubber ring around the plastic lens which asks as the sealing gasket.
2004-06-30 9:28 PM
in reply to: #34712

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2004-07-02 12:09 AM
in reply to: #34712

Elite
Bay Area, CA
You probably need new goggles.

Which ones fit the best really depend on your eyesocket shape. For example, Aquaseal work well for a lot of people I know, but for me they leak.

Best fit test for goggles - In the store place the goggles on your face without the strap going over your head. Push the goggles gently onto your face and then let go. You DON'T want to press hard, just gently to seat the goggle.
Do they stay on? Can you feel the seal between your skin and the goggle?

If you can't, try another brand. Right now I've got Nike Remora and they are perfect for me.

As someone else said, look for a silicon seal as the foam will always start leaking eventually and usually right in the middle of your race.
Shellee in CA
2004-07-02 12:17 AM

Thank you ca dreamer and lara sd. Your input is good, especially since there is no one I can readily ask about this.

I swam today with the same goggles and tried tightening the headband and shortening the nosebridge. They did not leak but they were so tight they hurt. When I looked in the mirror afterwards in the locker room, there were red circles around my eyes where the goggles had been.

I will try and find another pair using the fit test ca dreamer suggested.
2004-07-02 1:29 AM
in reply to: #34937

Elite
Bay Area, CA
What you just described are the classic signs that your goggles are worn out and you need a new pair. Or, that this specific pair of goggles don't really fit well with your eye socket shape.

I usually need a new pair of goggles about once a year, just FYI.
Shellee in CA
2004-07-02 8:06 AM

Veteran
Northern IL
And remember to rinse your goggles after every swim in cold water and let them dry out. Otherwise you could encourage bacteria growth on the goggles and it allows the goggles to have an extended life.

Mike
2004-07-02 3:53 PM

Thanks for the input again. I just ordered these Seal XP goggles for $20 + $5 S/H. They look like very small diving masks without including your nose.

http://www.trisports.com/sexpgoclti.html

$25 is nothing if it will keep my eyes from burning like they did that one day.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » chlorine kills me! Rss Feed