General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip labrum tear Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-18 1:27 PM

Subject: Hip labrum tear

Hello - I came across this site while searching for answers, and was hoping that maybe someone can enlighten me a bit on my situation -

I'm 44, relatively active (swimming, kayaking, diving, biking) but nothing that really puts "stress" on my hip joints (I don't run).  About 10 years ago I started to experience popping and snapping in my left hip and would get slight pain in the deep groin area.  Over the years it went from a mile annoyance to me having a limp from favoring that leg.  If I have my weight on my left leg and shift weight, it will snap, loudly and cause pain.  Sitting for long periods of time (I do office work) causes it to ache.  I finally went to an ortho doc two years ago and he said I had snapping hip syndrome, where the tendon snaps over the joint.  He prescribed a cortisone injection (which he did in his office and when he pulled out that six inch needle I almost passed out) and some PT.  I got a little relief for a few months, but the pain started coming back.  He sent me for a dye injected MRI which proved inconclusive.  He wanted to do more cortisone shots and I decided to stop seeing that doc. 

Last year I tore my shoulder and my husband suggested another ortho doc who fixed my shoulder perfectly.  I went to see him this past January about the hip since it was acting up again, catching and popping and hurting alot.  He said the xray showed very slight arthritis and he wanted to refer me to another ortho who specialized in hip arthoscopy in case that is what I need.  He said that very few doctors do scopes on the hip joint, and the one he was referring me to is very good. 

I went to see him last month and he wanted to start with a cortisone injection and PT (said my core muscles are weak and need to be strengthened no matter what), and then we will re-evaluate in 3 months.  I had the injection Monday under xray guidance (they couldn't believe that first doctor had given me one in his office).

I do feel relief from the pain right now, although the hip is still "snapping" - just not with the intensity of pain I was feeling.  I shifted my weight in the elevator this morning and there was an audible pop that people heard and looked at me funny.  The hip does feel sort of "loose" when it does that, almost like it "slips" for a second or two. 

So my question is this - should it still be snapping and popping after an injection if it's snapping hip syndrome?  I thought that involved the tendon being inflamed and the cortisone was suppose to reduce that.  Or could this be a small tear that is catching in there?  Would I be feeling pain right now with the injection? 

I start PT next Monday. 

Thanks for any advice

2013-04-30 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4705893

Subject: RE: Hip labrum tear
sounds like all the classic symptoms of FAI/labral tear. I had mine repaired in late 2011 but have had a tough recovery - other issues and snags kept popping up.

The cortisone will help, but if its torn it will not heal.

Mention anterior femoral glide to your PT and see what he/she thinks. I worked on correcting that and the snapping got a better (although my psoas still snaps internally when I try and do open chain type activities like kicking a ball).

I hope you have a "simple" injury, hip stuff can be quite complicated. I havent raced in 4 years...
2013-05-01 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4705893

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Hip labrum tear
It very well still is snapping and popping even after an injection.  I would submit that after 10 years of trouble it deserves looking into a little more closely with an MRI.  Could be snapping hip, a labral injury or FAI or all of the above. I cannot fault someone for a conservative approach however.  Why not call your current doc and ask for an MRI while you are doing PT.  It will give you more info (although I will caution you it is NOT 100% accurate in the hip.....more like 60% positive predictive value) but it will give you some more data. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip labrum tear Rss Feed