General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aquathlon training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-22 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: aquathlon training

Curious if anyone out there has done training focused on an aquathlon. Normally I do one or two early in the season, adding more swimming following a fall run focus for a December HM, then pick up the biking in the spring. This year my favorite race, a 1500m swim/10 km run, was picked up by a new sponsor and rescheduled from mid-March for June 1. It's going to be the last race of my spring/early summer tri season, so I'm considering it an A race. I won't have any serious tris in the summer; might do a local sprint or Oly in late July for fun but training will be casual at best owing to travel/family committments. Not even sure there will be any doable tris in the fall--definitely nothing over an Oly.

I have a good swim, bike and run base but not a lot of speedwork for run owing to an early season injury; swim training has been going well. I'm more concerned about the run. Focused a lot on improving bike power and speed (a big weakness for me) since January. Should I back off the bike (drop speedwork, long ride, or both?) to put in more quality and quantity on the run, or keep on with tri training as usual? Use an Oly plan and do the latter weeks but just the swim and run?  Any thoughts?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » aquathlon training Rss Feed