General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - I'm jumping in Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-28 9:56 PM

User image

Subject: Hello - I'm jumping in

Ok, so I've always thought about doing a triathlon and have finally decided to get started.  I'm 38 years old in the greater Seattle, WA area.  I'm 'one of those people' that decided last week and am going to try my first spirt on June 2nd  I am already very athletic (my current main sports are BJJ/Judo, biking, running and endurance body weight exercises/training).

To be honest I 'know' that I can do the biking and running portions; but I am very concerned about the swimming portion.  I'm not being delusional, I have biked > 20mi and ran > 6mi back to back previously. I've never mixed swimming in with that thou.  

BUT I am NOT a swimmer.  I 'known how to swim' and I snorkel 'on vacations' (but that's in salt water, with fins).  In fresh water/pool I sink like a rock, and waste a ton of energy.  I already have a wet suit (from snorkeling) and plan to use it on event day  

I've been reading the articles in the beginner section and have a swim plan that I just started today (yes 5wks until the event lol).  I'm nervous about over training, so the training guides have been very helpful.  I exercise a lot as is, so I already have the time to train in my daily life.  I just (think) I need to reorganize things to slowly increase my swimming.

I'll also be using my mountain bike (with slicks) for the biking portion.  But I did buy good running shoes (I think, used runnersworld.com and picked the Adidas Response Trail 18 based on their online shoe selector).  I normally just do road work in my cross trainers.

Anyway, the beginners articles said to post an introduction so I am doing so.  I registered and started using the training log (online and iPhone app) too.  Very excited about my upcoming first spirt.  My goal is just to finish.  That's it.  MAYBE work up to olympic 'someday.' I exercise for fun, and to push myself.  I like that feeling of working out 'really hard' and then going just a bit beyond that (but without hurting yourself).  I really enjoy approaching everything in a scientific and research based method.  So I'm excited to keep reading all the articles, reviewing old posts and learning more about training methodologies.

Glad to a new member here.  

THanks in advance 

2013-04-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4718311

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Hello - I'm jumping in

Sounds like you have a plan of attack...so now have FUN!  You will find that triathlons are a great sport and an awesome community!  Good luck!!

2013-05-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #4718311

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: Hello - I'm jumping in

Welcome to BT.  I see you are doing the Issaquah Tri.  That should be a lot of fun.  There will be some BT folks there.

Keep working on your swim.  Looks like you are really improving.  You'll be amazed how much you will improve with just sticking to it.  Good luck.

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hello - I'm jumping in Rss Feed