Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Furniture shopping thinking of sofa with a chaise - anyone? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2013-04-29 9:05 AM

User image

Bronze member
Subject: Furniture shopping thinking of sofa with a chaise - anyone?

Our kids are growing and we need new furniture. They are 5 & 7 and still both like to snuggle up next to me for story time. We don't squeeze into the recliner together very comfortably anymore. We have hired a local designer because my husband is color blind and well, I think all of this is boring and confusing. Her picks for us were all sofas with a chaise on one side. She has a thing against recliners and has not planned any for our living space.

I'm just not sold on the chaise idea. I'm afraid I will get sick of it sticking out into the room all the time. It's not like you can put it away or move it somewhere else but maybe I just don't know any better because I've never had one. I'm leaning towards a sofa with recliners on either end and my husband wants a recliner on one end and chaise on the other! Our room is kind of small so we can't do a whole lot here. But then I think why did I hire someone if I'm not going to listen to what she says.

I'd love some feedback if you've got any!

2013-04-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4718693

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Furniture shopping thinking of sofa with a chaise - anyone?

We have a sectional that works for us.....it's 3 sided and the chaise goes in so it doesn't look awakward or take up space.

I works in our space though....sectionals don't work everywhere.

2013-04-29 9:42 AM

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river
trigal38 - 2013-04-29 10:05 AM

Our kids are growing and we need new furniture. They are 5 & 7 and still both like to snuggle up next to me for story time. We don't squeeze into the recliner together very comfortably anymore. We have hired a local designer because my husband is color blind and well, I think all of this is boring and confusing. Her picks for us were all sofas with a chaise on one side. She has a thing against recliners and has not planned any for our living space.

I'm just not sold on the chaise idea. I'm afraid I will get sick of it sticking out into the room all the time. It's not like you can put it away or move it somewhere else but maybe I just don't know any better because I've never had one. I'm leaning towards a sofa with recliners on either end and my husband wants a recliner on one end and chaise on the other! Our room is kind of small so we can't do a whole lot here. But then I think why did I hire someone if I'm not going to listen to what she says.

I'd love some feedback if you've got any!

I have one and love it and it has two recliners, one on the end and the middle.  We opted for that over the hide-a-bed.   Our room is small and it fits really well in the corner with the chaise along the wall.  It makes better use of the 'dead' space under the window.  

2013-04-29 9:47 AM

User image

Bronze member
Appreciate the input so far! Thanks!
2013-04-29 9:47 AM

User image

Bronze member
Chris do you know what brand your sofa is?
2013-04-29 9:56 AM

User image

Pro

A "chair and a half" and an ottoman.  My wife just bought a new sofa with the "chair and a half".  It's smaller than a love seat, but bigger than a standard chair and then there is an oversized ottoman that can be easily moved.  My wife is always snuggled on it with one of our kids......and they love to crash on it alone.

This isn't the chair we have, but I did a quick search on "chair and a half" and this is similar.

http://www.homeclick.com/advantage-furniture-9447-231-chair-and-a-half-in-showcase-oak-madison-chutey-pillows/p-584476.aspx?srccode=cii_18492716&cpncode=30-166098692-2&chnl=cse&ven=bing&kw=9447-231

2013-04-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4718809

User image

Master

trigal38 - 2013-04-29 10:47 AM Chris do you know what brand your sofa is?

Its been a few years since we bought it so I dont know of the top of my head.  I will find out when I go home tonight.

2013-04-29 10:09 AM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
if it fits in the room they are awesome - especially for the scenario you are talking about!  recliners remind me of grandparents
2013-04-29 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4718836

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-04-30 7:18 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
trigal38 - 2013-04-29 9:05 AM

But then I think why did I hire someone if I'm not going to listen to what she says.

I'm a male engineer, so hardly qualified to answer any questions about home décor, but...I would ask whether the designer you hired has listened to you?  You already said it is a small space, and even if a Chaise is her favorite piece to work with, it may not be at all appropriate for your living arrangements. 

Can you test out the placement of the chaise before committing to the purchase?  If you are limited on space, opt for smaller pieces (so a smaller couch, and smaller chairs or the more modern look compared to the old, overstuffed styles). 

I'd also suggest leather, as it's much easier to keep clean with kids. 

2013-04-30 7:57 AM

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
I will let you know what I think about my chaise as soon as my Rhodesian Ridgeback decides to call somewhere else his spot of choice.  

2013-04-30 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4720345

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I have one from Room & Board, they have a ton of styles.  I really like it, but it's pretty much lined up to the TV and it's my spot.   I only have to share the living room with my husband, so our needs are different.

Some observations:

1. I find guests tend to avoid it.  It required putting your feet on the furniture and even though I have put a throw across it, they avoid it.  So, I always have to sit on the chaise.  This is awkward when there's someone in the seat adjacent.
  2. HOWEVER, I can separate it from the couch and, at an angle, can be sort of like a bench.  I have done this, although it's only marginally more successful in a pinch.  Make sure if you get a sectional of any kind that the sides aren't terrible looking (or have weird things that stick out) if you need to separate.
  3. Don't pick one with a cushion that isn't symmetrical.  I think the design of this sort of couch begs for an unsymmetrical cushion.  I can't flip it and it will get dirty/faded more quickly.
  4. It limits orientation of furniture, due to walkways, etc. 
2013-04-30 5:03 PM
in reply to: #4720289

Bronze member
McFuzz - 2013-04-30 7:18 AM
trigal38 - 2013-04-29 9:05 AM

But then I think why did I hire someone if I'm not going to listen to what she says.

I'm a male engineer, so hardly qualified to answer any questions about home décor, but...I would ask whether the designer you hired has listened to you?  You already said it is a small space, and even if a Chaise is her favorite piece to work with, it may not be at all appropriate for your living arrangements. 

Can you test out the placement of the chaise before committing to the purchase?  If you are limited on space, opt for smaller pieces (so a smaller couch, and smaller chairs or the more modern look compared to the old, overstuffed styles). 

I'd also suggest leather, as it's much easier to keep clean with kids. 

That is what we have now, leather and a smaller couch with a recliner and a chair. No one sits in the chair, one person lays across the whole couch and at least 2 of us try to squeeze into the recliner.

What she picked out fits the measurements of our space and makes sense to solve those issues, but no rearranging. It fits one way but that way would be the most appropriate - facing the television. I'm just concerned, like I said, that the end of the chaise sticking out all the time will eventually get on my nerves.

2013-04-30 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4720345

Bronze member

cardenas1 - 2013-04-30 7:57 AM I will let you know what I think about my chaise as soon as my Rhodesian Ridgeback decides to call somewhere else his spot of choice.  

Ha ha ha ha, I am not footing the bill for a really nice doggie bed. My puppy got himself kicked out the house about a month ago though so this should not be an issue!

2013-04-30 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4720510

Bronze member
BikerGrrrl - 2013-04-30 9:27 AM

I have one from Room & Board, they have a ton of styles.  I really like it, but it's pretty much lined up to the TV and it's my spot.   I only have to share the living room with my husband, so our needs are different.

Some observations:

1. I find guests tend to avoid it.  It required putting your feet on the furniture and even though I have put a throw across it, they avoid it.  So, I always have to sit on the chaise.  This is awkward when there's someone in the seat adjacent.
  2. HOWEVER, I can separate it from the couch and, at an angle, can be sort of like a bench.  I have done this, although it's only marginally more successful in a pinch.  Make sure if you get a sectional of any kind that the sides aren't terrible looking (or have weird things that stick out) if you need to separate.
  3. Don't pick one with a cushion that isn't symmetrical.  I think the design of this sort of couch begs for an unsymmetrical cushion.  I can't flip it and it will get dirty/faded more quickly.
  4. It limits orientation of furniture, due to walkways, etc. 

This is very helpful. I was worried about where visitors would feel comfortable sitting although we don't have grown up visitors all that often. The way she has designed the room we would have the sectional, one other chair and a couple of small ottomans.

I have emailed her with our concerns but so far had no reply. We have already paid for half of her fee upfront so we better be getting some service!

2013-04-30 5:22 PM

Veteran
Irvine, California
I love my sofa with the chaise.  Can't imagine ever going back to regular couch. 

2013-05-01 7:03 AM

New user

102 N Laura St, Jacksonville, FL 32202
Hey "trigal" your post seems like you are a frankly speaking person  I really appreciated your post   , as depicted about your husband     but I think I can suggest you something good that would really help you like a few years back when I bought a new furniture in my home with a beautiful chair and a sweet center table with it!!
2013-05-01 7:21 AM

Regular
The Sipp

Ha, I am buying a new couch also! I have been looking for a couple months. I have a sectional now with 4 recliners in it and I want to switch to one with a 'chaise'.

I think I am going to order one from this place.

http://www.opulentitems.com/sectional-with-chaise.html

2013-05-01 5:53 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
I have a sectional that has a chaise on end and I LOVE IT.   I HATE recliners.   Seriously.  I know lots of people.....usually MALE people, love them.  Why not take the kids to a store and try one out.  You could get a nice sectional with a recliner on one end for your hubby.   I am currently in an apt with a rather small living area and only have the sectional, on which I can comfortably seat 5 adults
2013-05-01 6:50 PM
in reply to: #4723149

Expert

Socks - 2013-05-01 6:53 PM I have a sectional that has a chaise on end and I LOVE IT.   I HATE recliners.   Seriously.  I know lots of people.....usually MALE people, love them.  Why not take the kids to a store and try one out.  You could get a nice sectional with a recliner on one end for your hubby.   I am currently in an apt with a rather small living area and only have the sectional, on which I can comfortably seat 5 adults

Me too!!!

2013-05-02 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4723199

Bronze member
KateTri1 - 2013-05-01 6:50 PM

Socks - 2013-05-01 6:53 PM I have a sectional that has a chaise on end and I LOVE IT.   I HATE recliners.   Seriously.  I know lots of people.....usually MALE people, love them.  Why not take the kids to a store and try one out.  You could get a nice sectional with a recliner on one end for your hubby.   I am currently in an apt with a rather small living area and only have the sectional, on which I can comfortably seat 5 adults

Me too!!!

This is just what we did last night and we have decided on a sectional with a chaise on one end and a recliner on the other. I don't love the style of it, arms are a little too large for my taste but the rest of the family loved it and it was very comfy! I think furniture shopping is completely boring and I would have to drive 2.5 hours to the city to look at more stuff when I would rather be riding my bike so I think I will just be satisfied and we will just go with this Wink.

No wonder we have lived here 6 years and the house is not finished.

2013-05-02 8:57 AM

Master

I couldnt find the brand name of mine.  We got it at a Bob's Furniture about six or seven years ago. I looked online for a pic or to see what they had and they dont have it anymore.  But it looks like you found one and your family likes it.  

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Furniture shopping thinking of sofa with a chaise - anyone? Rss Feed