BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-08-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Middle Tennessee
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!

2013-08-27 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by shadow67 Race report is up! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-edit.asp?raceid=239...

So this is a must, must read.

Shad is an IRONMAN!

2013-08-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OMG!! Awesome race report!! 

I could not get to report though the link above, I just clicked on Shad's picture and then 'Go to race Log'

2013-08-27 6:26 PM

User image

New user
Hi Melanie, fortunately our house's location is a little bit elevated so the flood waters only reached 6 inches before it subsided.
2013-08-28 7:50 AM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Cloudy, drizzle day here in DC area.  

I decided to stop by the "Hump Day Coffee Club" this morning on my way to work.  Basically a bunch of bike commuters stopping at a little coffee shop to chat.  My first time there.  It was nice to meet some folks I see periodically on the trail.  I will try to do this every week from now on.  I am known as the "Bucket Lady" because of my bucket panniers.

FYI - I will be AWOL through Tuesday or so.  Heading out of town for a very long weekend.

2013-08-28 7:52 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by oldSAP Hi Melanie, fortunately our house's location is a little bit elevated so the flood waters only reached 6 inches before it subsided.

That is good to hear.  Does this happen routinely in hurricane season?

2013-08-28 6:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Originally posted by hoffsquared

That is good to hear.  Does this happen routinely in hurricane season?

this usually happens every 4 years or so. i've experienced it 4x already here, i've been living in this town for 17 years now. one time i had to bring out my 10 wheeler dump truck to pickup stranded people along the highway since it's the only vehicle high enough to pass through the flood waters. and it was around midnight then.

been training indoors again for 3 days now, still raining throughout much of the day here. hopefully the sun will come out today, i'll be joining a fun run this coming saturday. 10k uphill

below is the invitational poster. it means taking care of the community, health and environment.

Edited by oldSAP 2013-08-28 6:29 PM

(1011594_10200352294029589_2059659007_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
1011594_10200352294029589_2059659007_n.jpg (49KB - 19 downloads)
2013-09-01 9:04 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

I hope everyone is having a fantastic Labor Day weekend, sure is nice to have the 3-day weekend after the first day of school!  (At least for those of us in the U.S.).  As per usual, I have picked up my first cold of the school year, still in the scratchy throat phase but it is definitely coming on, don't think it's going to quickly go away, grrrrr.  Messes up my swim plans for the week, although now that I am not on an immumosupressant, maybe it won't take so long to get over it.

Did a nice LONG bike (for me) yesterday, 45 miles, which I knew I wasn't trained for but was kind of shamed into doing.  Really felt like I was out for a Sunday ride the last 15 or so, just kept pedaling, forward motion, and it was slow.  Also had some cramping which is kinda new for me.  Only took in water, although we stopped at a convenience store and I had a small Gatorade, and some Shot Bloks, probably needed some more nutrition.  Had the tables turned on me for sure when my 2 friends were doing the waiting on ME instead of vice versa.  And I don't LIKE being the one being waited on... motivation to keep biking!!  We were on the road by 7 a.m. and were able to beat the worst of the heat, I think it was 89 when we finished, but got up to 102-103 yesterday afternoon.  Hubby and I went out to Chuy's for lunch, awesome TexMex food!!!!  And stopped at one of our favorite bike stores and we both picked up aero water bottles and cages.... I've had an Arundel for awhile and my 2nd water bottle has cracked??!!  WTH??  They didn't have any replacement bottles there, so I went ahead and just replaced the cage AND bottle with a Profile Design and hope the bottle holds up better. 

sdf

2013-09-03 9:33 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Expert
BRAVA, SHAD!!! You are an IRONMAN, and should be hugely proud of yourself!!

Finally updated my logs after a crazy first week of classes (which I seem to have survived), along with the usual onslaught of the 7 Body Gremlins of IM Tapering: Achy, Cranky, Grumpy, B*tchy, Twitchy, Twingey, and Just Plain Tired. Fortunately, they seem to be easing their torments ever so slightly at this point...which is good because I have to get up early tomorrow to pack the car and start the 17-hour, 2-day drive to Montreal for the race on Saturday! (Gulp-- WHO thought this IM thing was a good idea again???) Still, I'll get to see my family (some on the way, and everyone on race day itself) and some friends, which should be fun. Part of me is petrified, and part is rather Zen about it all-- the usual combo, really.

Told my classes today why I would be missing class on Thursday, and they were utterly adorable: one group actually applauded, bless them! Guess I'd better go earn that finisher's medal to show them when I get back, huh?

Will be taking the iPad with me, so will update whenever possible. Hope you're all having amazing weeks!

Alex
2013-09-04 6:32 AM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

New user
i miss the food i had in the US when we went there last year for a vacation. slabs of ribs, beef brisket, chilis, mexican food, **drool** what i don't get is why the chicken meat there are so bland. without sauce, there no taste at all.

as for my being a newbie clipless pedal rider, i don't think i'm quite there yet because i only had 2 "almost fell down in slow motion while people are looking on" accidents so far.
2013-09-04 7:45 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Good luck this weekend Alex!

Charlie --- great job on going clipless.  You are a fast learner if you haven't taken a tumble yet.

I am very rested up after doing absolutely no training for 6 days in a row.  I was busy but no swimming, biking, running, or other exercise.

Sunday is Nation's Tri.  Big, big race in terms of the number of people.  I will have to rack my bike on Saturday and get to my secret parking spot early on Sunday.  I am a bit concerned that they have changed the bike course from on big loop to two loops.  I see lots of potential for accidents.  It was already a crowded course.  But it does look like they are having the speedsters (M 30-34, M 35-39) go first so they will be off the course by the time most everyone else starts.

2013-09-04 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Alex- Ironman this weekend! How exciting!!! Will be cheering for you!

Melanie- Another race? You go girl!! 

Charlie- good job with the pedals!

I am FINALLY getting a little excited about my race (one month away) but have been feeling crazy health wise lately. Friday I felt bad (headache/achy) all day, after work was fine wen to ball game, got up Saturday had a great ride, felt good all day Saturday, Woke up Sunday feeling horrible, pounding headache etc. felt bad 1/2 day then OK. Felt fine all day Monday than like crap again Tuesday and today... What the heck is going on???? I need to be working out consistently but my body is not cooperating :/ this is a rest week according to my plan but starting next week i need to hit it.

2013-09-04 8:17 AM
in reply to: Evergreen

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
and Hilde! Sounds like you had a great weekend and ride with your friends, you did not look so slow to me. I want to try and plan a 40 miler for sometime late in October.
2013-09-04 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
Missouri

Race report is up for the mud run that I volunteered at/ran this past weekend - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=499967&posts=1&page=1.  Had a great time both running and volunteering. 

Question for the group - how hard is it to change bar tape?  Mine is starting to slip around and it's got a small tear on one side so I'd like to change it out before my race at the end of the month.  Is it easy enough to do myself or should I let the LBS do it?  I've been trying to look at it and I'm not sure how to get it around my brakes?  Has anyone done it themselves?

Shad - I'm a little late but Congrats on becoming an Ironman! 

And good luck to those racing this weekend!

2013-09-04 6:30 PM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by soccermom15

Race report is up for the mud run that I volunteered at/ran this past weekend - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=499967&posts=1&page=1.  Had a great time both running and volunteering. 

Question for the group - how hard is it to change bar tape?  Mine is starting to slip around and it's got a small tear on one side so I'd like to change it out before my race at the end of the month.  Is it easy enough to do myself or should I let the LBS do it?  I've been trying to look at it and I'm not sure how to get it around my brakes?  Has anyone done it themselves?

Shad - I'm a little late but Congrats on becoming an Ironman! 

And good luck to those racing this weekend!

Bar tape is not to hard to change. Lots of really good videos on YouTube.
2013-09-04 7:35 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Expert
Hello from Southwestern Ontario, everyone! First leg of the trip went super-smoothly: a drive that normally takes 9+ hours took me under 8 today-- not much traffic on the roads, and I got to drive straight up to an official's booth at the border (!). Hope that's a sign for how the whole weekend will go... Day 2 is the drive to Montreal tomorrow, then packet pick-up and course talk Friday, then IM#2 for me on Saturday. (Eeek!) Shad asked if you guys could track me at all-- the answer is yes, through the sportstats.ca website: as soon as I know my race # I'll pass it along. (I requested the number I had last year...lucky #13-- long story, but true-- so we'll see if they could oblige. Stay tuned!) In the meantime, hope everyone's weeks go well and loud cheering for everyone racing this weekend-- GO BEASTIES!!

2013-09-05 6:16 AM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Some big races this weekend for the beasties!!  Of course Alex is doing her 2nd Ironman, Melanie is doing Nation's Tri and Michelle (arquillo) is doing her first 70.3, and Dee (jackflash) is doing a sprint too!!  Safe travels and great race wishes to all the BEASTS!!!

Janet, yes it is pretty easy to install bar tape... I watched a YouTube video before I did it the first time, and now I do it all the time.  It's probably easier on aero bars than road bars, but it's not hard.

Still nursing this cold, but it is on its way out.  I have another long bike scheduled for early Sunday morning, one with lots of hills (well Texas sized hills, one thing that is NOT bigger in Texas, ha ha!).  If I don't get a run in tomorrow, than for sure on Saturday and then hope to be back in full training mode by Monday.  I have a tri next weekend, it was a free entry run by the Army, but not sure I'm gonna go.  Then again I could just treat it as a training day, right?

Yesterday I had a rheumatology appointment to see if there is ANYTHING I can take that will help keep the eye crap disease at bay and not aggravate any melanoma.  Not an ideal scenario for sure, but I expected to walk out with no help and was actually surprised that the doc really wants to find something that will help!  He's starting me on Celebrex, the least caustic possibility and we'll go from there.  Now it's just wait and see.  Spent an hour with the doc and then another 2 hours getting labs drawn and waiting on the pharmacy at the Army hospital... yeah you sure do have to wait a lot, but the trade off is 100% free meds, so it's worth it.

So this is a 4-day week, AND I had yesterday afternoon off and I'm still grinching that it's only Thursday??!! 

2013-09-05 9:24 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Middle Tennessee
Will definitely be tracking you this weekend Alex! Leave it all out on the course, race BEASTLY, and have FUN!!!

Edited by shadow67 2013-09-05 9:25 AM
2013-09-05 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Did not realize we had so many racers this weekend!!

Good Luck to everyone and Go Beastes Go!!!

2013-09-06 7:41 PM

User image

Expert
All righty, gang-- biked a couple of rounds of the bike course, ran a bit to make sure all was in working order, picked up the race packet, repacked everything... Back and forth between WTF and Zen all day-- a bit nausea-inducing, really. But I'm number 13, in case anyone wants to see how I'm doing. Gonna be sociable with my sis and friends for a while, then try to get some sleep...
2013-09-07 7:47 AM
in reply to: wrkinprogress

User image

Middle Tennessee
Can anyone find Alex on the sportstats.ca website???? I searched by bib number and name and I can't find her. GRRRRR

2013-09-07 7:50 AM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Found her! She came out of the water in 1:46!
2013-09-07 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
Go Alex Go!!! Sending thoughts you way!!! Smile
2013-09-07 5:51 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Alex is off the bike and on the run course!! She has over 7 hours to finish the run. GO ALEX GO!!!!
2013-09-08 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Looks like she did great... finished in 14 hours and something, plenty of time to spare!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29