BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-05-11 6:35 AM
in reply to: #4724810

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Open
Samantha -- good luck with the training this weekend. Is this peak build weekend for you? That is some big volume of S/B/R. Awesome job on the 5k swim!

2013-05-11 12:03 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago, Illinois
We are staying with some friends in Nashville and I thought about going for a bike ride but decided to just go for a run instead. 4.7 miles now off to downtown to check everything out. Happy Saturday everyone!
2013-05-11 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

I want back in to Steve's group!  I was hesitating for a little while- not because I didn't want to be in the group - but I wasn't sure of my tri plans and didn't want to be deadweight.  But a friend texted me last night that she signed up for her first tri (Yay!!!!) and now I can't get it out of my head.

NAME:  Pink Socks & Pam

FAMILY/DESCRIPTION:  happily married to another BT’er (KWDreamun), 51 years old, 15 y.o. son who loves baseball and is horribly embarrassed by his mother running around in tights and a sports bra, systems analyst, running for 3 years, newbie to biking, love swimming but not with anyone else swimming on top of me or too near me.  

STORY:  Pink Socks is my way of remembering why I began running.  I watched my son’s middle school cross country team wear pink socks in memory of the coach’s wife.  When coach asked the kids and parents to participate in a breast cancer marathon, HM, or marathon relay, in Brenda’s memory, I internally scoffed because I couldn’t do that.  But it went into my sub-con and soon I decided to walk the half.  I adopted the alter ego of Pink and began training. I later began running and when I finished the HM, I was hooked!  Three years later, I’m happier and healthier.  I didn’t realize that I had been depressed for some time; I was one of those women that lost me while working and raising a family.  Now I’m back to being me.

I felt like a poser when I began training.  Now I almost think of myself as a runner but never want to be a “purist” like I still occasionally encounter.  I am not fast and I will walk (or crawl) or whenever.  I've completed 11 HM, 4 marathons, 2 ultras, 1 DU, and 2 sprint tris.

CURRENT TRAINING:   I train 8 - 10 hours a week and a couple of hours are strength since I've recently been diagnosed with osterposis (spelling?).  I need lots of work on biking but finally moved to clipless pedals.  I have panic issues with swimming.  I need the running for mental health and I'm trying to get my base back up after having PF issues.

2013 RACES:   10K next weekend and possibly a sprint tri in July.  Plan to work towards a 10K PR in Fall and move back up to HM marathon training.

GOALS :  No matter what, I want to focus on health and fun.  I don’t see myself on any podiums and, since AG is dependent on others, I don’t focus on it.  The only person I see as my competition is myself – and sometimes the clock.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a lot to learn.  I love this group and I'm excited about getting to know the new people.  I love that we can come here and panic, brag, cry, beg for help, happy dance, or just express ourselves around people that are striving for the same things.

2013-05-11 12:47 PM

New user

Thanks for the welcomes! I am glad to hear not to compare myself with others, because so far you guys are amazing in what you have accomplished!

I feel like I am starting over because of my hip surgery, and it is good to see so many of you have bounced back from injuries. I was very upset bc my surgeon told me bf the surgery that he was sure I could run marathons again, and then when I went in for the post-op, he said I should cap it at 10k. Needless to say, my surgeon is not an athlete, and I found that very upsetting. My running peaked at 6 miles a month or so ago, and then this week I have been getting hip pain, so it is back down again. I LOVE to run, I like the bike and swim, but it's just not the same for me. Family committments have made it hard to get any biking in, but I am hoping to pick that up again soon. And the swimming, well, I just need to drag myself to the pool or start going back to masters.

So that is why this group will be good for me. I tend to get jazzed up like the rest of you just talking about the next race and training. And like someone already said, no one else really gets it.

Julie 

2013-05-11 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4736688

New user

Yes, I am from Texas, too.

Julie

2013-05-11 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Good afternoon everyone.  I'm happy to report that I got my diet figured out with work today.  Two egg meals will do the trick.  After work, I went to do some swimming.  I did 4x125@10 and 1x150 to end the session.  The swim went pretty well...my tempo trainer is set so slow that I really feel like I need to glide ALOT to stay at the pace but its keeping me focused on slow/easy/fast mantra.  Now that I've extended to 125 consecutive without having to kick hard, I'll be working up to 150, etc until I get up to 5K like Samantha!  Thats all I've got for now.  Nice to see the old group coming back and some new faces joining too!

2013-05-11 6:15 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Julie I was basically out for 6 months related to a knee issue.  I had an operation about a month ago and things are looking better, but ya not pain-free yet.  That said 45 mile bike ride on the trainer was long... that's just not right.  Oh well, I should be able to get in 12 hours again this week.  Shoulder is so-so for the swimming, but I am balancing breaststroke and freestyle to vary the area that is affected. 

The weather has finally gotten warmer low 80s F today. Took the family on an explore afterwards in some cliffs and such hiking.  At the last trackmeet my sons got a 4:53 mile and 5:17 mile (older and younger).  Should have started this stuff when I was young 8). 

2013-05-11 6:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Fast, Fast kids Steve!  Let them know they are becoming famous on BT!
2013-05-11 7:25 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

NAME:  Carol (aka Squirt)

FAMILY/DESCRIPTION:  I'm about to turn 47, and have been happily married for 25 years to my best friend in life.  We have 4 dogs and 1 very tolerant cat.  My father-in-law is 94, and figures promintently in our lives as we see him through all that comes with being 94.  Getting old is not for sissies!  I'm a CPA, working as a bookkeeper, mostly from home, but at clients' offices some of the time. This makes for a very flexible/fluid schedule, allowing me to train at off peak times, which is really nice.  

STORY:  I've been running on and off for about 7 years.  At first not so seriously, and then in 2010/2011 I found BT, and with the support of this great mentor group, I realized I could actually improve on that and take on some new challenges.  For tri's, I've done 7 sprints and 3 olys.  For running, 7 HM's, 2 full Mary's, and 22 others (5K, 10K, 15K, etc.).  I'm not particularly gifted or fast, and finally got in under 2 hours in a couple of HM's in 2012, so there is hope!  I have Type 1 diabetes, and that presents some additional challenges.  But the way I look at it, we all have challenges of one kind or another.  I'm also more of a "smell the roses" type than most triathletes.  I tend to stop to pet dogs, talk to neighbors, or just admire the scenery.    

CURRENT TRAINING:  My second full marathon at the end of Feb 2013 was very disappointing.  Felt like I trained reasonably well, and was really hoping for a faster time.  Instead, I wound up with a small stress fracture, and a large confidence fracture.  I have yet to regain my running mojo, and running is the thing I gravitate towards.  I'm still getting out to do something most days and keep my log current here on BT, but I'm not on any official training schedule. I've been cycling more socially, and just letting myself rest and recover, both mentally and physically.   

2013 RACES:   I am currently not signed up for any races.  Did 11 races in 2011 and 11 in 2012 and 4 so far this year.  Starting to feel like I might be approaching ready to commit to something, but not quite there yet. 

GOALS:  See above.  Have a long awaited vacation coming up and that is my lone goal at the moment.  I will decide on something in terms of triathlons after that.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I haven't weighed in lately, but based on the way my clothes fit, I would bet I'm 10 lbs up from my ideal racing weight.  After the marathon, I kept eating like I was still running a lot.  So I would like to lose those those 10 lbs over the next few months.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I will be an active part of the group whether I am at a high point or a low point.  I trust Steve's advice after having been part of this group for a couple of years, and have actually started to listen.  I need and appreciate the push from the other members of the group, and hope I can give back some too.

2013-05-11 7:57 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
4:53 mile is insane. Your kids are gazelles, Steve.
2013-05-11 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran

Julie - Welcome to the group. Having anyone join our group is awesome, but if you're Carol's friend all the better.

Mike - This is not my peak build week. I still have two more build weeks with a recovery week in between.

Anthony - Enjoy Nashville and send me a cool accent while your there

Mitch - Thanks! Love hearing about the distances you are running now. What a nice relief to be nearing the completely healed zone.

Steve - your kids are amazingly fast! And, btw, today I was thinking about your comment that I might have a faster IM than you. At first I thought "ya, maybe", but now I'll be surprised if you don't pull yourself all together and have a killer race at Tahoe. Guess we will see. Anyone wanna place bets....hahahahah.

Carol - you are a good mentee because you have so much to offer and stick with the group whether you are up or down. I like that about you and want to be more like that.

So apparently one can do the same ride on a different day and have an entirely different experience. My ride route today was the same as last weekend. Last weekend I had an awesome ride; today's ride was brutal! I actually averaged 15.46mph, which I'm glad for. But my saddle soreness was the worst it has ever been. It didn't matter how many times I repositioned myself it would hurt like crazy within minutes. Plus my neck was killing me more than usual too. I think the 5k swim probably wore me down. I also don't think I took in enough calories (long story and I know what to do next time). Plus it was 85-88 degrees; hottest day so far. I did it though, I rode 100 miles! I also went for a short run/walk, which ended up being a funny story. I intentionally planned to miss a short run this week and I sure thought I did. Turns out I didn't miss one, so I got all my runs in this week. Unbelievable! And my legs ended up pretty sunburned...oops.

Tomorrow is another long day. For the mommy's in our group I hope you are well celebrated by your families tomorrow! Happy Mother's Day!

2013-05-12 1:11 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Samantha, you will be ready for CDA, and you know I don't say that unless I believe it. If you go swim 1:40 (+40-50 min in the bank), bike 15.5 mph ( 7:10 ish or a total of 8:50+ transitions call it 9 hours)  leaves 8 hours for the run or an 18:15 mpm pace for the run where you can probably walk 15-16 mpm pace.  Lets say you jog the first half at 11 mpm that allows you a 25 mpm for the second half.  You've got this.

IM Tahoe has the fun thing that it starts at 6000 feet above sea level and then the bike has a 1000 foot climb that you hit twice... before you get to the run.  Remember as it gets warmer bring more water and 300-350 calories per hour on the bike.  I'll mark your time as my time to beat for Tahoe 8).  Game on! 

2013-05-12 1:11 AM
in reply to: #4738309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

Hi Everyone!  Well it's been quite a week.  Glad I logged-on and got into the group! Its filling up quickly.  Welcome everyone, both new and returning.  Lots of names I remember and some I think Ive just seen on other threads/forums (Pinksocks!). 

Ive had a great training week. (s-3650 b-71 r-23) Didnt think I would be able to get any workout in today (SEE BELOW) but thrilled with a 7+mi run.

ok I am exhaling.  I watched my nephews Thursday & Friday.  Both were sick..vomiting & well... the other end.  Both in diapers and having blowouts etc.  Stomache viras.  Poor things.  Poor me.  Then in the wee hours of the morning my son started.  Then my daughter.  ALL.  DAY.  LONG. TODAY.    I never knew that a child could vomit THAT much & THAT often.  OH my gracious.   Now my husband is feeling "queezy.  Thanking God they are all sleeping (for now).  I've washed 4 loads of clothes, sheets, & towels and now understand the worth of "Sanitary" mode on the washer. 

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers! Have a wonderful Sunday!   

Anyone have races this month?  Im ready to cheer someone on! 

2013-05-12 5:09 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Whoa - that is just awful! Hoping your hubby & you don't get whatever this bug is.

Happy Mothers day to all the Moms out there!

My day started with a run in the rain which I had to bail on after a mile. The hammy thing came back with a vengeance and just would not loosen up. Every step was a painful one, and trying to push through wasn't working and I was thinking it was likely doing more harm than good. Will likely just bag things for today since its mom's day, and the kids & I have plenty to do for Mom today.

2013-05-12 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles

Wow Elena!  Hang in there...  That is horrible.

Mike D - Watch that Hammy!  Have you tried ART or something similar?  Smart move to bag the day and let your body heal.

Happy Mothers day to all the Mommy's.  Everyday should be mothers day!

I did a quick 2.5 mile recovery run this morn before the girls get up.  VERY sore from  the beach workout yesterday.  Looking forward to another good week  of training.  Hopefully I'll get in the water a bit more and I WILL get out on my bike.  I think I'm almost ready to sign  up for an Olympic.  There is a few spots left in the Nautica Malibu Triathlon.  It's a lot of fun, Televised on NBC etc... Lots of famous people to stare at.  Flat course...

Have a great and healthy day!

2013-05-12 1:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

Elena, so happy to have you here!!!!  You always make me smile.  But child, I'm so sorry that your mother's day is with a houseful of sick.  My son used to love to hear stories about himself and all of his sick stories started out with "It was the middle of the night and Dad was out of town...."  Goodness I remember those days.  Hope all feels better soon.

Julie, any friend of Carol's is going to be well received here.  So sorry about the surgery and now the doc saying different things.  Recover and then see if you can find a different doctor that will help you get where you need to be.  I just changed my doctors because the old ones just didn't understand.

Mitzi, a bodybuilder?  And you have the mantra, "No Pain, No Gain."  You and Jay are going to get along beautifully.  My hubby is just like that too.  Welcome to our group.

Friday evening I went running during son's baseball practice.  Started feeling a little bad at mile 1.5 and by mile 3, I knew it wasn't normal.  Expected it to go away but I'm still feeling bad - not totally sick but def not 100%.  We went to early church and then I decided I was going to go out for a run.  Almost turned around before mile 1 but decided that I didn't feel good when I wasn't running so might as well keep going.  Gutted it out and made my 6 miles although it was 15 - 20 min slower than it should have been.  But then I realized, 3 years ago when I was training for the first time, I would have been ecstatic with today's performance; it would have been a banner day.  So, like Steve said last week, now we are doing things that a little while ago, we never would have dreamed that we could accomplish.

Odd thing is, I'm finally feeling better.  I think that I felt so bad during the 6 miles that now it just feels good to have stopped.

Happy Mother's Day to our mothers and Happy Weekend to everyone else.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-05-12 1:58 PM

2013-05-12 3:36 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

I hope the stomach thing doesn't take out the parents.  We had our kids get the stomach thing during a 13 hour car ride last year.  It was horrible.  I asked my wife when we got home whether just burning the car was an option. 

Take care and get healthy, workouts do not trump illness. 

Here is my run build so far:

Distance  Pace

3  12:46 mpm

4  10:53

5   9:26

6   10:12

7   9:12

Trend is positive, but oh my sooo out of shape.  20 weeks to IM Tahoe.

2013-05-12 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
NAME: Mitzi (would actually like to change the musclemomma thing, just doesn't feel like me anymore)

FAMILY/DESCRIPTION: I'm 53 and married to a very supportive husband. Have a 15 yr old son and 14 yr old daughter. Spent most of the last 15 years home with them. They are great kids, very healthy and athletic and want them to be proud of me.

STORY: Have the typical athletic high school/college background - mine was gymnastics, weights, some running. Stayed a little active on and off. Spent the last 8 years or so really into body building. Being middle aged and female I got tired of the minimal results and decided it was time to get healthy and do some endurance work. Really didn't know much about biking, couldn't really swim and being heavy made me not want to run - so triathlon training it was. Did two sprints five years ago and just survived them. Fantasy's of doing an IM at 50, but didn't come to much. Stayed in my comfort zone of lifting. I've been on BT on and off for a few years now. Love it.

CURRENT TRAINING: Spent a month getting ready to start my sprint training plan April 1. Really kicked a** wanting to transform my body into something leaner and healthier. When my plan said run 25 mins I wanted to be able to run 25 mins - and I did! Second week I was running 30 mins., pushing the speed. Some days I felt like Rocky running up those stairs. Then the pain came - foot, knees, hips. Got a lot of advice to slow down which I really hated! Just didn't feel like I had to start at couch potato level. Fortunately I think the sneaks were a big part of the problem, got sucked into the minimalist fad. Fitted with a new pair of appropriate sneaks, pain is falling away. Still have to fight the urge to go farther or faster. Am doing a plan from here - 3x S/B/R per week and into the forth week am really getting into the routine and only missed on swim last week.

2013 RACES: I am signed up for a sprint June 23 and my first oly Aug. 25.

GOALS: To be a solid MOP triathlete.

WEIGHTLOSS: Had kids latter in life and only worked part-time. I was not very good at being home and I ate a lot! At 5'1" I hit an all time high of 198 - which even on a muscular frame was very fat. Cut out junk food and dropped 30 lbs. and have been stuck there. I'm 53 and in menopause, my body will do what it will do, I'm staying focused on training and healthy eating. Haven't lost weight, it's all good - the laws of physics tell me I can't keep doing what I'm doing and not lose weight so I'm just doing what I've got to do.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I love to get online and check in with everyone and am open to getting feedback. Will give it if I have any to give - feel pretty new at this, but do read an awful lot and love to share that info.

It will take me some time to get to know you all, looking forward to it.
2013-05-12 7:57 PM

New user

Hamilton, AL

Hi, Steve! I’d love to join the group, if possible! Here’s some background:

NAME: Joe

STORY: I’m 31 years old and have been running for a few years. I’m an absolute newbie at triathlon, and I’m pumped to be starting! I ran purely for fitness for a couple years and caught the competitive bug last summer. Over the last 9-10 months I pushed myself fairly hard at run training and I’ve paid for it—two immobilizing cases of ITBS in that time period. My last case came upon me last weekend and pushed me to make the decision to take time off from running to recover fully. Because I couldn’t stand the idea of losing fitness, I made the decision to begin multi-sport training. So, I’m about 10 days into my commitment to train for a triathlon, and I’ve never done bike or swim training. Because of my injury I’m going to lay off from running for as long as full recovery takes. I plan to focus on swimming and biking (for now I only have a stationary bike), and can potentially replace run training with mild elliptical exercise.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 7 years and have 3 girls ages 6, 4, and 2. Family life is a blast!

CURRENT TRAINING: Recently stopped 6-day-a-week run training due to a rockin’ case of ITBS.

GOALS: Ultimate goal is to discover my full potential for the sports of triathlon and running. Short-term goal is to get my fitness level to the place to race several triathlons over the next year or so (while remaining injury free).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Would love to do a sprint at some point this year.

WEIGHTLOSS: I’m a pretty skinny guy—would actually like to gain some weight. I’m 6’1” and 150 lbs.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am wide open to advice and correction. I love collaboration. I’m excited about group and mentor interaction for direction on training, gear, racing, injury prevention, etc. Steve, I love your emphasis on base building, of obvious importance to me in my newbie status!

Thanks for considering me for being part of the group! I welcome any and all input and advice. Right off the bat, I'd love some direction on the best training plan to follow. Thanks in advance!

Edited by JoeReeser 2013-05-12 7:59 PM
2013-05-12 9:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Hi all,
I jump right in and ask for advice:
I backtracked quite a bit with my running. April 1 I jumped into running, 25-30 mins straight and my knee said no. Had to rest it.
Got advice on BT to start with walking, maybe run 2 mins/walk 3min. Too cautious for me.
Started with running 3min/walking 2, 4-8 times (depending on whether it was a short, med or long run day). Last fri. did 5 x 4m run/2m walk. Most of the pain is gone.
I've got a plan that tells me distance and time. I can use this method to get in the distances, but I want to be ready to run the sprint 6 weeks from now.

Do I just keep adding a min to my run (next week 5m run/2m walk; then 6m run/2 walk). I want to just run 10-15 mins and see what happens.
A little worried that I'll hurt something, more scared that I won't be ready in 6 weeks.

Got a book on swimming and it actually helped. Went from no real swimming to 950 yds/session. Longest straight has been 250 yds. Again, glad for the progress, but scared I won't be ready.

Bike - I've been a wuss and only done a stationary bike. Brought my bike to the shop for a tune up. It's getting warm enough to ride outside, but am intimidated by all the hills around here.

Looking forward to giving it my all this week. I'm going for 3workouts each sport.

Mitzi
2013-05-12 11:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

Mitzi tell me more about the knee pain.  What started it, how much time did you rest it before starting back, any medical procedures done on it, etc.?  That being said I usually take about 2 weeks of just walking, then 4 min walk 1 min jog, for 3 runs, 3/2 for 3 runs, 2/3 for 3 runs, 1/4 for 3 runs then try for straight jog on the flat low intensity, then build from there.  I will walk as much as 4 miles x4 and then up to  7 miles for a long depending on what your long was prior to the injury, how long you were off of running etc.  Side note I am not a medical doctor nor a coach and don't know anything about your knee injury, so this is just a general guideline for minor injuries which usually take 6 ish weeks to be back gtg.  At any pain you need to stop running and walk the rest of your workout.  The rule is not more than 10 percent to your long run with no less than 50% of your miles support miles (not long run miles).  I hope that is helpful, proceed with caution.  If you have not been running for a long time, start with walking 2 miles and move on up 3... 4... etc.

Oh and still room for more all are in for the group.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-05-12 11:50 PM

2013-05-13 12:56 AM
in reply to: #4739199

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hollister, CA

HI Joe & Mitzi. 

My kids:  Wow.  Still not outta the woods. This stomach virus is a doozy. They both managed to take in about a 1/2 cup of chicken w stars this evening and it stayed down! Everything prior to that... um NOT.  Only 2 loads in Sanitary setting today.  I say thats progress.  Dr says keep hydrated, broth, bananas, steamed rice w carrots, and saltines.  Eating is something they do not want to do but we keep encouraging them to take in just a little bit throughout the day. Hoping tomorrow is better.   Thx for the well wishes.

Bike Question: The past few rides Ive noticed my elbows are locked while in the drops.  At about mi 10 of 15mi today, I went to scratch my nose.  It was actually painful because my elbows had been locked and tight.  So then I became aware of how stiff my upper body was--locked elbows, shoulders definitely not relaxed, neck tight.  I have a road bike w a proper fit.  Its when i am down in the drops -the curve of the drops that I realize this has been happening.  So do I just need to be aware of my posture while riding and adjust periodically along the ride until it becomes habit? Could it be fit? What should my body look like while on the bike? In the drops?   I did not have this locked-elbow issue last season at all.  I would however get sore back or neck after a race.

Edited by EV3110 2013-05-13 1:01 AM
2013-05-13 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Big swim set today  - 3200 yards in under an hour. I'm beat, but taking a nap at my desk would likely be something frowned upon

turns out 2 other folks in my masters swim class are doing the HIM I'm in next month. And our old swim instructor as well. Will be fun to see everyone there on race date, and see if our swim sessions are working as well as we hope.

Leg feeling 100% better today, and I will likely go for a short run tonight as I'll miss tomorrows Scheduled run due to a day trip to NYC.  This weekend will be a 60 mile ride, and hopefully some solid runs. The HIM is only 4 1/2 weeks away, so I'm getting a bit freaked out my the awful run training I've had. I see walking in my future.

2013-05-13 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Thanks Steve, no worries, I know this is all peer support.

Beginning of April after jumping into running thought I broke my foot - even had it checked out and I never go to a doctor. Just sore. Back of right knee hurt, now added left side of that knee. Still not right, but not incapacitating. In addition to running noticed back of knee started hurting after the stationary bike. I've lowered the seat figuring I was overextending.

Did nothing for a week. Walked week. Can't believe how the time passed, in a bad way - the race is getting closer. Have been working my way back with walk/run 2x3 for a week (3 runs), 2x4 (2 runs) wanting to go for 2x5 after todays run.
At this rate I don't know if I'll be able to run a 5k straight through.

So no major injuries, just some bad pain which is going away. Also threw out my new minimalist sneakers - evil. I'm sure they were the cause of all my troubles, my body should not have reacted like that to running. I had been walking a jogging for weeks to get in shape for my tri training. Got myself an overpriced pair of supportive sneakers - they are like running on a cloud.

Samantha - you are my role model!

Eve - so sorry about the kids. I know days like that are so long, but the years go by so fast. I can't believe my boy is 15 and talking about college.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-05-13 7:59 AM
2013-05-13 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas

Good morning!  So glad to see some new and familiar faces in this group!

Elena, love your perespectives and so glad to see you in the group.  Ugh, so sorry the stomach flu has come to your house!  Sounds like you have avoided it so far, and I hope that continues!  I'm no expert on the bike stuff, but was just wondering if you take some breaks from the drops and/or do some intentional upper body relaxation periodically?  I don't think I ride in the drops quite as much as you, but every now and then, just try to really shrug my shoulders, and sort of flap my elbows (don't laugh too hard...I'm sure I look sillier than normal doing this).

Julie, wow, not so nice of the doc to spring the 10K limit on you like that.  Tough enough just coming back from the surgery/injury, both mentally and physically.  I know what you mean about running being the favorite, and when that is gone or limited, things just don't feel "right".  But at least it's getting to be good cycling weather, and swimming sounds more appealing now that it's warming up too.

Been doing more riding lately than anything.  Hubby & I are doing a 30 mile road rally this coming Saturday, and it will be his longest ride to date.  I've been...ahem...training him...as much as any wife can train a husband that is.  We led church group bike ride on Saturday morning, and then I (mostly) ran 5 miles yesterday morning in some seriously beautiful weather.  We will be going to Vancover soon for our 25th wedding anniversary, so I've decided my short term goal is a private 10K around the sea wall and Stanley Park.  After that, I'll figure out some new goals. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68