BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-12-27 9:28 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
Hey there group! We made it to the flip side of Christmas . Now onward towards the new year!

Carl, your new plan looks great...should set you up for a really nice season! Steve nailed it with the Type A and Type B classifications. It is very good for me to be around you and other Type A's because you dare to dream big.

Jared, you have a fun year with your little girl ahead, and the tri/bike/run season will be icing on the cake. The Boondocks 63 mile bike ride especially looks intriguing!

Jay, hope you have fun with the family at Disney! Memories to be made for sure. Ahh...yes, the Arizona time explains it. Good going on the gear, and I like your wife's approach of not obsessing over the scale, but on overall fitness.

Steve, welcome to the big city pool! Doubly crowded due to the holidays for other local (school) pools if it's anything like here. Now that was some serious power shopping! We were nervously awaiting the UPS truck for some of our gifts, and thankfully they arrived on Sunday.

Mike, are you feeling better?

Pam, you really know how to celebrate Christmas Eve....giving the dog a bath ! Hope you are feeling better and can get that long run in.

Mitzi, how are you sliding into the New Year?

Only 25 miles to go on the bike to make my OCD year-end bike goal. Swim yards goal is already in the bag, and good thing since the local pools are closed until 1/6/14. Time to set some goals for 2014.

We are attending a new year's eve party this year hosted by some British friends. So we will be ringing in the new year at 6:00 pm, which is midnight in GB. I love this because I have trouble making it to midnight, and we won't have to be out driving amongst as many of the late night crazies. Yes, I know...I sound old don't I?

2013-12-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carl, sounds like a much safer plan 8). You should be able to enjoy each race that way.
2013-12-27 12:11 PM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Carl, sounds like a much safer plan 8). You should be able to enjoy each race that way.
2013-12-27 12:19 PM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Steve,
Quick question. I have posted my schedule for 2014. I found several training plans for HIM like the 20 weeks here at BT. However, If I did a 20 week program starting next week that would get me into may, my first triathlon. My A race is in August 16 which is the HIM. What would be your training strategy be at 8 months till A race?
2013-12-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pearland,Tx
Originally posted by Baowolf

Been thinking a lot... if you did the 2 half marathons, you would recover fast enough to build the run for the IM, you also have time to build your bike from where you are now. I don't know enough about your swim to know if you can build that in time. So bottom line is that if you do a mary it probably toasts your IM, if you do 1 or 2 half mary's you may be able to do the IM in April, but it will be somewhat tight. You could also do a long run of 17 this week 10 next then half, half, 8, 13, 15 and be good to go for run training, but you need to probably add a 4th day to you run training for an IM even if it is only a 4 mile run. Then you will have to get the bike and swim back in there so .... 2 bike 2 swim 4 run/week until after the 2nd half mary then 3 swim 3 bike 4 run or some such into an actual IM plan. Your bike could build 75, 85, 95, 60 105, 110, 65, 115, 60 40 race. Run would be 2nd half mary, 8, 13, 15, 16, 9, 17, 18, 10, 18, 12, 8 race, and swim not sure where you are that will be the killer, longs of 2500, 2800, 3100, 3400, 2600, 3800, 4200, 2800, 4600, 3500, 2500 race... or some such. It is really really tight, but if you are good with 16 ish hour IM and your body tollerates that you could do it (getting in the other workouts to support the longs. Even 1 mary though will trash that completely. You also probalby cant "race" the half marys, but you can hard jog them, lite run. Oh well that's the best I got. You are going to have to decide what is most important and how close you want to get to the sun with those wax wings. Alternatively you could do a half in April and a full IM 2 to 4 months later when you will be solid for it this year or again wait until next year and do your mary this year.

Wow Steve!!! I should be paying you for thie plan above. i already made changes on my race plan to half iron on April 27 and no more Mary's next year. One important thing I am also concerned is my swim I have been way behind on my swim because of the cold weather . I can seem to get the confidence in the pool alone. My last Half Iron and Oly is pure open water only, with the full scheduled on September 20 i have plenty of lake time during the summer .I am very paranoid in not finishing after the trend of DNS my first Oly and DNF my first Half Iron.... If you can give me advice how should I plan 8 months till race day Sept.20 with a half Iron on April 27 ill follow it by heart.... Thanks again

Edited by strykergt 2013-12-27 5:21 PM
2013-12-27 5:25 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
8 months to HIM, I would go 1-2 months at base building, then do the HIM 20 week plan, then repeat the last two build cycles until your race, trying to get faster at your 10+mile runs, 40+mile bikes, etc

For swimming you are going to want to get in 3+ 3000 yard swims for the half and 3+ 5000 yard swims for the IM, building 300 yards per week long on the swim. Do open water when you can, sighting takes practice.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-12-27 5:28 PM

2013-12-28 4:25 PM

User image

Is there any base plan that you would suggest for the next 2 months
2013-12-28 5:55 PM

User image

Pearland,Tx
Steve

After learning that a Mary is like a wrench thrown in an IM training machine. How about Olympics and Sprints ? How can it affect a HIM or IM training. I remember my last Oly had me out for 4 days...

I don't want yo waste money on registration if it may impair me.

Thanks

2013-12-28 7:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Baowolf
I am not a coach, not your coach and you don't have to listen to me. I stated one way you could do your schedule, but I would put money on that it would be kinda sucky. I don't always listen to people who give me advice, so you can experiment with what your body can take or go more conservative. My goal is to take care of folks in here so that if they do something kinda risky they at least know that it was risky so they can decide whether they want to take that risk or not. My feelings wont be hurt if you hit all 3 races. So all decisions are up to you. There will be no I told you so, just advice on how to recover if you do get a pulled muscle or what not. I have been there. I have even gone against what I knew was a bad idea and often, ya it was a bad idea. ….. It is the jump to the Mary and the IM that is really big, it isn't twice as hard it is 4x as hard. So peace in whatever you decide, the gang will cheer you on either way and be here for ya when you get back.

Steve, I love the statements above. I love how you caution us but then still completely accept us when we do things that we shouldn’t do. And you also very nicely prod us when we need it. Your advice has been a huge benefit to me.

Did anyone notice that someone abducted our Jay during his absence and put in an imposter? Jay’s last post was thoughtful and wise {hence my theory that he was abducted.} Love you Jay and I hope you know that I’m just kidding you. Hope you and your family have fun at Disney. I definitely concur with your wife that it’s better to be strong than to be small. Smart lady.

Carol, I did a little more than just give my dog a bath on Christmas Eve but I know it sounds like that was my highlight. But gave him a bath early afternoon, had some downtime with a good book, had some friends visit for a little while, took my elderly neighbor his gifts, and then attended the Christmas service which is my favorite part of Christmas. Glad that things went well for you with all of your visitors. Love the British New Year’s celebration!!!!!

Ok, is it Karl or Carl? You are confusing me switching the spelling. Sounds like you have a really good plan now with the HM then the HIM and then the IM. It’s gonna be fun to travel along the journey with you.

Jared, so nice to have you back!!!!!! Christmas was even more fun with the princess, wasn’t it? It’s gonna be even better next year. Love your schedule. And I know that Steve will answer but when I’m trying to do base building, I always look at what I have done for the last month or two and then look at the schedule that I plan to start at x date. Then I cobble together a safe plan to get me from current status to the new plan by considering multiple things – how often will I be working out, do I need to add extra sessions in something, can I do it all with a 2 to 3 week build and a step back week and not exceed 10% increase per week, etc. It takes me a really, really long time but I plan it all out in a spreadsheet and then really try to stick to it.

I’m officially tapering!!!!! Yay, Hallelujah! Today’s 3 hour run was not stellar. I was hoping for 18 miles, would settle for 17 miles, and only got 16.5 miles. Stomach issues almost took me out but I managed to complete the 3 hours. I’m hoping that the slowness was caused by the 5 mile race pace on Thursday night and 8 mile race pace last night – and the Chinese food last night that didn’t sit too well.

I must confess that I feel slightly underprepared for the 26.2 mile distance. I feel like I could do very well if the race was 15 to 20 miles. I’m not sure what my final 10 miles will be like tho. Oh well, I’ve made my number one goal as Have Fun! One of my mary’s (three weeks after another mary) , the wheels fell off at mile 18 and I stomped the rest of the way in. A friend saw me at mile 20 and she said, ‘Yea, you didn’t look like you were loving life.” My goal is not let anyone say that about me again in a race. Even if I don’t get a PR, I’m still getting to enter these races when others don’t get the chance.

Quick question. Because of the surgery and the treatment, I haven't done intervals in 4 weeks. Last one was mile intervals 4x. Could I do some now and if so, 800s or mile and how many? I would only do them once a week so that means I can only get 3 more sessions in.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-12-28 7:53 PM
2013-12-29 6:31 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Originally posted by Pink Socks

Did anyone notice that someone abducted our Jay during his absence and put in an imposter? Jay’s last post was thoughtful and wise {hence my theory that he was abducted.} Love you Jay and I hope you know that I’m just kidding you. Hope you and your family have fun at Disney. I definitely concur with your wife that it’s better to be strong than to be small. Smart lady.

You know, this quote got me thinking.....I've been through a lot this past year and our little group has been there for almost all of it. You helped me through my first surgery, life's ups and downs, and all things in between. To steal a little bit of Pam's thunder in her last post, I really appreciate the fact that the group is supportive and non judgemental. We may not agree with someones choices (I've experienced that a few times this year!) but the rebuttals are thought out and not attacking; that's very hard to find these days! I send a heartfelt thank you to everyone in this group; I assure you you've done a lot more for me than I've done for you!

As 2014 approaches, I hope that the group returns in force. We haven't seen much of Elena, Jim, Jared, Mitch, Samantha, and Mike lately. (not that I should be talking about not being around!!!) I found our old friend Anthony the other day; he has decided to try out a 2nd mentorship group. My plans are still up in the air for 2014. I have a good idea of what I want to do but finances are a little tight right now. I joined some of you that experienced heating issues in December; I had to purchase a new boiler.....not a cheap endevour. That will force me to wait until tax returns before I sign up for any races; that should explain why I stated I'll register when I'm ready! God willing; 2014 will be a healthy year for me and I can have a good race year. My only priority for the first 3 months is the same as last year; run the NBHM for the charity that's near and dear to my heart. I enjoyed volunteering last year but I prefer to compete!!

Yes Pam, someone did abduct me....this is a reflective Jay. It does happen from time to time!
2013-12-29 9:37 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
@I Hear Ya jay

It took me a while to choose a group, what drawn to this group is how you guys/gals followed and kept track of Steve's Epic IMLT accomplishment. I told myself this guy have some good following of mentorees. This is my first time to have fellow Texan ,Carol in the same group. All the Texans are spread all over from the diff Mentors group from the Elite jocks( i avoid) to the mere middle age parent (me),even coaches , some of them i see on races.I even have an opportunity to join the Power Group, but seems to be they have a competitive nature there. 2/3 of my choice to join a group of mentorees, it is like a community here .

I cant wait until the group goes live.

@Pam
its Carl sorry for the confusion, i wish i can be fast like you.

Enjoy the last of the Holidays eveyone Happy New Year to All!!!

Edited by strykergt 2013-12-29 9:40 AM

2013-12-29 9:45 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
At this point I probably wouldn't do any speedwork in your training. Just hit your distances, do as much as tempo runs, but just get to the starting line healthy and ready to go

For base HIM training I like to get to something like Run 4 6 4 10, Swim 1500, 1500, 2000 and bike 25 25 40 weekly. Have add a little speed to w of the workouts temp, or repeats once you get up to the distances from where you are at. This may mean that you merge into your 20 week Him training plan at week 8 or whatever and then build from there then repeat the last 2 cycles of build. That sets you up for a strong HIM.

A sprint or an Oly won't dent your IM training too much, you can hit them along the way. They will take 2-4 days out of your training, but if you treat it like a recovery week you are good to go the following week. A marathon is more like a 4 to 5 week impact on your legs for running, so it is a much bigger impact (taper, and recovery). You actually bounce back faster from a HIM than a Mary becaues of the beating your legs take. So an Oly is like a Half mary, you can do one and be good to go a week later. With 8 months there is pleanty of time to hit some shorter races and get your transitions down.

And Jay, everyone is valuable here. It is kind of like family, no one person is more important than another. We can all learn from the good and maybe not so good choices people make and with the dignitey they show in just getting back up. I don't corner the market in good choices, as a group we support what we know collectivley, but we are not going to say "you can't date that girl." We might say, um go out on a few more dates before proposing..... (gals feel free to reverse that one).

For anyone going to a different mentor gorup to get a different perspective there is no problem with that, just pop back in and let us know how you are doing once every comple months or before a HIM or IM so we can stalk... er track you on race day. Some may want to do 2 mentor groups, a primary and then touch base here if you want a second opinion or just some support or to check in on how folks here are doing. Always an open door to anyone from prior groups in whatever capacity it will be helpful for you. At this point Carol could run her own group if she wanted to, but we like to keep her to ourselves.

I have a cold here which is a bummer, so skipping a few days of workouts and trying to get 12 hours of disturbed sleep as I can. It is frustrating, but will all work out. New group is not live yet, but probably will be the first week in January. Survive the Holidays and then join me for a no chochlate for an entire month from January 7 to February 7........ if you are up for it. I know I will need to, too much food just lying around...

Carl, go back and look at Samantha's IM at the end of June, there is a lot of important info there with pacing and such. She reallly nailed her pacing and nutritoin for her first IM and came in 45 ish min ahead of schedule with a negative split to her IM marathon.

Edited by Baowolf 2013-12-29 10:01 PM
2013-12-29 11:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Lots of warm fuzzies back at you all. Glad to be back and catching up with everyone's posts.
My eating is spiraling out of control, but am hitting the gym for some fitness classes, weights, stationary biking and jog/walk intervals. This is my year and with all the info and support in this group it's going to be a good one.

Did get a freestyle snorkel for Christmas, will I have the guts to wear it? I'm wearing it around the house just to freak out the kids. I've promised them I wouldn't wear it at a local pool where their friends might see me!

Warm wishes for everyone - have a wonderful and safe New Years Eve!! I'll be supervising a party of 35 14 year old kids. How did I ever agree to that? What we won't do to make our kids happy.

Mitzi
2013-12-30 7:58 PM
in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
@Jay, so glad that you knew what I meant about the post of a gentler Jay. I knew that you had a rough year and you seem to learn as much from Steve as I did.

@Steve, love what you said and us being free to join other groups; demonstration of the proverb, "If you love something, set it free...." Although I've been set free, I'm coming back to you next year because you have helped me far too much.

@Mitzi, you are crazy!!! And also a great mom! Best of luck to you on the chaperoning.

Was scheduled to run tonight but some of the PF symptoms are arising. They could be those phantom pains that always seem to crop up during taper but since I dealt with this last year, I'm not taking chances. Stretches, massages, and then the rolling of the prickly ball under my feet. The prickly ball is so weird; after multiple rolls, my whole foot starts itching. I'm taking this as a sign that it's stimulating different nerves. ???

Happy New Year Everyone!!!!!! Can't wait to see what everyone accomplishes in 2014.
2013-12-31 9:00 AM

User image

Hey Guys Happy New years eve! I have been in and out these past few months! However, I would have never been able to complete this years triathlon season "my first"!!! If wasnt for the support that I have had in this group. Thank you all for letting me join our community, and I am looking forward to what this year has ahead of us!!!
@steve Sounds great! So I just need to work toward hitting those numbers before I start my 20 week him training! I am pumped Early mornings here I come!!!

God bless all of yal and Happy New Year!!!!
2013-12-31 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Happy soon to be New Year! I agree with all of your sentiments about what this group has meant. This was my 3rd year here, and I plan on sticking around . I'm in a far different "place" in terms of goals and motivations than I was in the beginning, but this group has allowed me the freedom to grow in my own way. As Carl said, it's nice to not feel like I have to be ultra-competitive to fit in, but also to be encouraged to aim higher than I would on my own. I am inspired and motivated in different ways by each of your journeys -- the way you approach training, racing and life. I love that we can come here in our triumphant times, but more importantly during the times when we feel knocked to the ground by life, injury, burnout, or whatever the case may be. Encouragement and advice is given freely. Judging each other is simply not part of the dynamic here. Steve, I so appreciate you setting that tone consistently, and I'm grateful to each of you in this group. Bring on 2014!

Edited by squirt 2013-12-31 10:31 AM

2013-12-31 6:21 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Wow you guys are all great. Happy New Year. We will get er done in the new year.... whatever that means to you.

Got in my first workout in 4 days because of this cold, stirred up a bunch of stuff in my lungs. Oh well. Hopefully I am on the mend. At least it is offseason with no race soon. And for fun lets post those numbers 2013 is in the bank.

2013 totals (Had about 4 months off because of the knee)
Swim: 90h 20m 04s - 202974 Yd
Bike: 245h 20m 27s - 4245.15 Mi
Run: 172h 39m 43s - 1055.43 Mi

Edited by Baowolf 2013-12-31 6:23 PM
2013-12-31 9:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Happy New Year everyone! This group has been through a lot this year! Looking forward to see whats next!

Be safe and have a great new year!
2014-01-01 1:42 AM

User image

Pearland,Tx
First OF All Happy New Year everyone!!!!

First inquiry of the year. I need suggestions how to be warmer even with a wetsuit on. I am looking into the 50s swimming in OWS. any suggestions?
I am looking into a first layer before a my wetsuit anyone ever tried this? i am already using booties and and a thick neoprene cap.

Let me know

Thanks

Edited by strykergt 2014-01-01 1:44 AM
2014-01-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: strykergt

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
My knowledge is limited but my best guess would be spandex pants and a spandex (Under Armor) long sleeve shirt. Those will help a little with warmth and prevent you from being inflexible for the swim.
2014-01-01 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Happy New Year to all of you Precious people! We spent a quiet New Years here where son went to party (which meant no wine for me because of the 12:30 pickup). Hubby and I re-watched "The Last Mile" which is a documentary about running. Love it! I think it's about $13 on Amazon. Going to make sure to re-watch again right before mary to get in the proper mindset.

What New Year traditions do ya'll have? In the South, we have black-eye peas (for luck) and greens (for money.) And I don't know if this just from my grandmother but you are suppose to do major cleaning on New Years Day because she said it would wash someone out of your life. So I'm being safe and won't wash clothes until tomorrow. We have just eaten our peas and greens and now are setttling in to watch UGA. Got a little run in this morn in the rain.

December's totals
Run: 23h 53m - 130.4 Mi
Strength: 3h 51m

2013 totals
Swim: 6h 00m - 5906 Yd
Bike: 21h 30m - 283.8 Mi
Run: 227h 23m 24s - 1221.4 Mi
Strength: 81h 11m
Race Volunteering: 20h 30m

Just thought I'd share this because it was funny to me. I've been doing planks and crunches all year and wanted to have at least one plank minute a day and at least 500 crunches a week. Planks were over 400. Crunches I knew what I needed to get for this month and then didn't monitor them afterwards. Normally I'm so anal that I like for things to be even. But I got 26,200 crunches when I totaled them. I laughed because I consider anything that begins with 26.2 normal now.

Edited by Pink Socks 2014-01-01 12:19 PM

2014-01-01 2:46 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
First workout of the year 15 mile bike TT average pace 23.41 mph up 2 mph in the last 2 months... now to go run.

Cold swim = neopreme cap, full wetsuit, neopreem socks and gloves.... if that is not enough... drysuit. It should be nough for 50. But you may want to wait for 55F is much warmer.
2014-01-02 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Happy New Year! Hope we get a shiny new mentor group thread soon.

Nice bike speed increase, Steve. Sounds like your focus on intensity is already paying off.

Sorry Carl, my only input on swimming in cold water that I don't do it and opt for the pool. Local swim coach hosted a "polar bear plunge" at our local lake over the weekend, so obviously some people don't share my views on that .

Pam, nice totals, and glad I'm not the only one with OCD tendencies w/ regard to the numbers.

We may be in trouble for 2013 based on southern tradition. Had great northern beans instead of black eyed peas. I started to draw black dots on them with a sharpie, but Kerry vetoed that idea. Had spinach instead of greens. Finished our house purge/organize project...oops, the no cleaning thing is news to me. As we were finishing up the clean/purge, I accidentally dropped an Elvis figurine and broke the head into lots of pieces. Not sure what that means.

I'll play the 2013 totals game:

Swim: 41h 10m 40s - 115574.89 Yd -- hope to be more consistent about swimming in 2014...had some long breaks in there.

Bike: 142h 51m 12s - 2013.55 Mi --- dang, this rounds up to 2014....to heck with rounding up!

• Run: 112h 35m 29s - 612.72 Mi -- Many of these miles were in Jan/Feb, then nagging injuries and exhaustion put a cramp in things
    2014-01-02 10:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    , Connecticut
    Hope you all had great New Years Eve's (?)
    My daughters party was crazy - too many kids, they kept turning out the lights and dancing to very loud music. When we weren't checking on them we hung out in the kitchen. They had to come upstairs for food and into the kitchen for drinks.
    Next year it's going to be about us and friends.

Have been doing well with going to the gym and am up to 2mins jog/2mins walking on treadmill x 5, and doing spin classes. Have ordered some books on strength training for endurance athletes - less weights more work with body.

Want to change my BT name. Friends gave me musclemomma years ago when we did Body for Life together - a body building program for weightloss. It's not me anymore. I'm not focused on muscles and weights isolating muscles. I also don't want to be defined by parental status. Just don't know what it will be.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2014-01-02 11:01 PM
    2014-01-03 8:40 AM
    in reply to: MuscleMomma

User image

Expert
    Grapevine, Texas
    Mitzi, great job on the running/walk intervals! And even better on surviving your daughter's party. Now that is an endurance event! Funny you should mention "Body for Life". We never did the body for life challenge, but the Eating for Life cookbook is still one of our favorites. Nice balance to be found in many of the recipes, and not too complicated. I'm aiming to even out and slightly reduce my carb intake to see if I can improve my blood sugar fluctuations, so will likely be pulling recipes from that book. Sorry, I don't know much about changing names on BT, but can understand your desire to realign it to match where you are now.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68