BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-10-01 10:04 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN

Originally posted by dprocket Chris nice race and report (and thanks once again for feeding my desire for a new bike). Now it's time to jump on trainer road and start the off season. That sounds like a fun event. Tom, I hate the one leg drills! That's probably the reason I should do them more often!
Doooooooo it, Dooooooooo it, Doooooooooo it . . .

I got my P2 3 weeks before my last Oly and it is night and day compared to my road bike (with clip-on aero bars) - which I love.  The aero position feels more natural and for the same RPE speed is up by a significant amount.  Doooooooo it . . .

2013-10-01 10:24 AM
in reply to: TTom

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback and encouragement!

John,
The only thing I have on my schedule right now is a local 5k the first weekend in December. I'm going to take the month of October off for the most part and then start some pre-season base building for next year in November.

dp,
I have to agree with Tom on the bike. I knew it would make a difference, but I never imagined how much. Night and Day!
2013-10-01 11:29 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Here's my gameplan (I think...it's always changing ha ha) on the bike.

I think I'm going to go get a Retul fitting done in the next couple of weeks. These are expensive, but this will answer the all-important fit question. I've been looking at Felt, Trek, Giant etc but since I don't know what fits best I'm kind of shooting blanks. If I've going for a signficant upgrade, I want it to be optimal. I'll keep you all posted. The wife is now on board with the plan : ).

2013-10-01 11:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Oh, and I'm holding out possibility that the Retul fitting may help me be in optimal position on my bike, and so maybe be able to be faster on my bike and get more mileage out of it while I'm shopping for the carbon mega bike at the mega steal price.
2013-10-01 3:42 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
You might look around for deals soon as they just had the big bike show in Vegas where new models are introduced. I know that Cervelo dealers have been authorized to discount the previous models by 10%, so other manufacturers may be doing similar things. Think of it as an early Christmas present. That worked for me and the amount I saved bought pedals, water cages, etc.
2013-10-03 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I raced the Vineman 70.3 this year and it has a great bike course through the wine region of Napa/Sonoma Valleys.  Prior to the race I rode the course 3 times, and decided I'd ride it again yesterday.  Since we've had some discussion on acquiring a tribike, thought I'd do a non-scientific comparison.  All my previous rides were on my road bike but yesterday I got to ride it on my P2 for the first time.  The course is a loop with the outbound leg all rollers ending in a hill with a really sweet downhill and the return leg 2/3 flat and 1/3 rollers with one significant hill.  I was interested in how I would approach the course on the tribike vs the road bike.  Now I wasn't racing it and I was riding solo so it isn't a full apples to apples comparison, but some things did stand out. 

1) Riding the rollers.  On my road bike I was constantly having to switch back from the aero bars to the horns as you are shifting all the time.  On the tribike I did the all the rollers in aero having the ability to shift without changing position.  That was nice!

2) Big downhills.  Actually was faster on the road bike.  Why?  I think it's because I've not ridden hills on the tribike much and am not yet comfortable with 40+mph on the aero bars.  I was on the bullhorns and not really tucked, but still managed 39.7 mph, so with some position tweaking 40+ won't be hard and if I can get comfortable in aero at the higher speeds, well that would have to be on a closed course I think.

3) Climbing the bigger hills.  The one hill of note on the Vineman course is Chalk Hill, 220 foot climb over 3/4 of a mile.  On all my rides on the road bike, I had to go to my lowest gear and make the climb out of the saddle.  Yesterday on the tribike, it was the lowest gear but I never had to get off the saddle, making the entire climb seated and not feeling totally gassed.  Bike geometry?  Don't know but will definitely have to go find some more hills to understand and to figure out the downhill side as well.

4) Overall.  I felt much stronger at the end of the ride.  Thought it was just because I wasn't racing it or pushing it as I did during training, but my average speed was 1 mph faster than any training ride and 0.5 mph faster than the race time.  I looked at the HR data and found my average was z2.9, so not really pushing it.

As I said earlier, there were a lot of variables that make a true comparison difficult, but thought I'd share this as just an interesting data point.

2013-10-03 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Tom - that info IS interesting. I don't know quite what it means, other than that it means I need a new bike. : )

Just kidding.

The main thing that surprises me is that you were able to climb better on the tri bike. I would have thought that the roadie would have been the advantage there.
2013-10-03 3:10 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

I was surprised as well.  When I started the hill I planned to stay seated as long as I could, and was surprised when I rounded the curve and saw the top.  Thought it might be gearing as I have a compact crank on my tribike, so checked out the ratio.  Turns out the 39-27 on my road bike has a ratio of 1.4, and the 34-25 on my P2 has a ratio of 1.4, so that's not it.  I'm going to have to find some more hills to figure out what this all means.  I've got a good one near home here I'll give a go:

palomares

Was thinking of getting a 11-28 for the tribike for hillier terrain, but think some I need to do the additional hill work first to see if I really need it.  There is another hill climb that is really brutal that I can choose to test out as well - 45 minutes of easiest possible gear.  I've done it on my road bike a few times but may have to take the P2 out there.  The downhill is kinda technical though, so need to wait until I feel more comfortable on the downhills at speed on the P2.

2013-10-07 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Hey Jon we never heard a report on the half mary a few weeks ago? How did it go? do you execute your game plan?
2013-10-09 9:33 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by dprocket

Hey Jon we never heard a report on the half mary a few weeks ago? How did it go? do you execute your game plan?

Oh yeah! It went okay. Originally (back in March), my goal was to try to run between 1:54-1:59 for the race, but that all went out the window
by July when I dropped my run plan for the 1/2 and focused on sprint tris all season with my long run being 5-6 miles. I only did 2 runs
greater than 6 miles all summer, one 8 and one 10, a couple weeks before race. I was thinking about not even doing it as I was so under trained,
and that's when I posted here asking for advice. So, my revised goal for the run was to keep average pace under 10 min/mile and finish better than 2:10. Kind of embarrassing to even admit that as a goal, but there it is!

It was kind of nice to actually just do a running race instead of a tri! After 6 sprints this season, I was so used to the logistical process of
getting packed up and setting up transitions, etc. it was nice just to put on shoes and have nothing else to do! So, started out slow as planned
and it was pretty easy, not really pushing at all, running like 9:50 or something. Lots of long hills with no real relief for the first 4-5 miles. Nothing
major, just pace killers, but I kept moving pretty consistently. I was just enjoying myself amongst thousands of runners and not caring too much
about time, which was actually very nice and pleasant. Around mile 9 I realized I wasn't even going to break 2:10 if I didn't get my butt in gear,
so I decided that at mile 10 I would just run the last 5k as if it were a 5k after swim/bike on tired legs and just go as fast as I could. My last
3 miles were my fastest splits- 9:25, 9:19, 9:16 and finished in 2:09:41, just making my goal. I was pleased to negative split it and finish strong.

Anyhow, again, kind of embarrassing to be so slow, but that's where I am for long distances right now. My plan is to beat that open 1/2 time
during my HIM in June. I have a 9 month run plan that I think will get me there. We'll see!

John
2013-10-09 9:56 AM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Good job on reaching your goal, especially the negative split and pushing those last 2 miles to achieve what you set out to do. I'm sure by next June you will be crushing that pace.

As for me, I just received my invite to 2014 Age Group Nationals. I would love to go just for the big race experience even though I know I will get crushed (even with significant improvement over the next year.) I know Jesse did this race this year, but anybody else have any thoughts on this? It's a long way from Georgia but eh I figure you only live once, and who knows I may never qualify again.

2013-10-09 10:56 AM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by Dominion

Good job on reaching your goal, especially the negative split and pushing those last 2 miles to achieve what you set out to do. I'm sure by next June you will be crushing that pace.

As for me, I just received my invite to 2014 Age Group Nationals. I would love to go just for the big race experience even though I know I will get crushed (even with significant improvement over the next year.) I know Jesse did this race this year, but anybody else have any thoughts on this? It's a long way from Georgia but eh I figure you only live once, and who knows I may never qualify again.

Congratulations! You should definitely do it. That would be a rush no matter where you placed. Plus it's much more impressive to say "I raced in the 2014 Age Group Nationals" than to say "I qualified for them, but didn't go". When you're old and rocking on a porch thinking back on your life, the only things you'll regret are the things you didn't do! Trite, but true nonetheless.
2013-10-09 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
John, were about in the same boat as far as speed goes. The only difference is that I'm that slow while training! Ha.

I'm focusing almost exclusively on running for a bit for a couple of half marathon events. I'm preparing for one just before Thanksgiving and then will kick into gear on a 20-week HIM plan to do in April.

Chris...I agree that you should go to AG Nationals. If I qualified, I would. It already sounds like you've done some travelling for triathlons before and I've heard nothing but good things about that event. Do it!

On another note, I had a Retul bike fit on Monday evening and learned alot. I learned I have a pretty tall stack and a shorter reach. This gives me a very good idea of what frames work and what do not. I was looking at a giant trinity a while back and I know now that would have been a BAD bike for me.

We'll see what happens. I've had an unexpected water/flood disaster happen in my house so suddenly I'm dealing with cleanup crews, insurance adjusters and contractors. Kind of hard to think about spending the money on a bike right now, although I know it's prime time. We'll see what happens.
2013-10-09 6:31 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

John, sound like you planned the race and raced to plan!  Congrats on meeting your goal and on getting the negative split.  Now that you've got that 'negative split feeling' and know you can pull it off, you can use it in future race plans too.  I always like I've run a good race if I feel like I finished strong, and the negative split is one way to get there.

I got back into the pool today with my dislocated/fractured ring finger buddy taped to the middle finger, but after about 500 yards could tell it was not going to work.  It was beginning to get painful from the bending back during the pull.  There was a guy in the next lane who I chat with occasionally, and he was using swim paddles and told me to try them as they would allow the pressure to be spread across the paddle, not directly on the finger.  I tried them and they seemed to work pretty well.  They were the Finis Agility paddles which are not designed to increase strength, but rather to ensure you have a good entry and early pull.  As such, they don't have a lot of additional drag compared to your hand, but enough I could feel it after swimming about 400 more.  Went to the Finis store (Yup, corporate headquarters is located nearby and they have a retail outlet there!) and they fitted me to the medium, not the large I had used in the morning.  Hope it works out so I can swim!

Another first today was my first run after bruising my heel in the Oly about 3 weeks ago.  Kept it short (3.5 miles) and kept in the aerobic zone so pace of about 8:44/mi.  No pain during the run and will see what the next 24 hours bring.  Hoping for the best.

2013-10-10 4:54 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

NAME: Ba Moon / Ana

STORY: History in athletics growing up - have lived an unhealthy lifestyle for too long. Enjoy weights, dabbled in crossfit. Always wanted to compete in Olympic distance Triathlon.

FAMILY STATUS: Single, no pets, no children

CURRENT TRAINING: Cycle min 20Km 5 days per week / weight training 4 days per week

THIS YEAR'S RACES:Nil - never competed

2013/2014 RACES: Tri series: Jan 19th Mini sprint (300m swim / 10km cycle / 2km run) working towards April 06th Sprint 750m swim/ 20km cycle / 5km run.

WEIGHTLOSS: transitioninig to 90% Raw vegan from vegetarian just started a week ago moving to 80/10/10 Raw diet- need to lose at least 15kg in the next 6 months. I believe this is achievable.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm chasing a goal: To complete the Sprint in April, not looking for short cuts just inteligent ways to meet my goals. I will listen to feedback!

-----
2013-10-10 7:37 AM
in reply to: Ba Moon

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Welcome Ana! This is a good, supportive group.

What are you currently doing for training? Do you have a plan to get from today to your first sprint in January?

Ask any questions you have, Jesse is very smart and helpful and there is also a lot of "group knowledge" here. Personally,
I started triathlons this year and completed 6 sprint-tris this season, but others here have a lot more experience.

John

2013-10-11 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Welcome to the group, Ana! Look forward to hearing more from you and hopefully we can help you achieve your goals!

If you're already cycling 20KM 5 times per week, you should have no problems on the bike. Have you done any swimming?
2013-10-11 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Ana, welcome aboard!  Looks like you've got the most important component, a strong desire to get this done.  Don't be shy in asking questions, we're all here to help.  But watch out, once you do one of these things call triathlon, you could get hookedWink
2013-10-11 1:26 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Hey Ana, I just saw this posting over on Tri Talk "Plant Powered Triathlete (Vegan)" and thought you might be interested:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=489436&posts=14&page=1

In that thread someone mentions that there have been quite a few threads on this in the "Nutritional Café" forum as well.  I imagine there is some discovery to be done to make sure one who is an athlete gets the proper nutritional balance, especially protein, when moving to a vegan lifestyle.  Gotta make sure your muscles are getting what they need to get stronger and stay healthy.

2013-10-11 5:10 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Well I figured I'd jump back in the fray here.

Welcome to the group Ana as the others have said feel free to jump in at any time with questions. The past parts of this thread and chock-full of stuff so feel free to browse.

Chris, I'd definitely say sign up for AGN. If you've never done a 2500+ person race its definitely unique experience plus its cool to say I placed x overall/in the age group against some of the best in the country. Plus, the course is fast. The swim course is in a little inlet from the lake that's super spectator friendly with a bridge that goes over part of the swim course. The bike course is pretty fast as well. A pretty long climb up on a bridge, but otherwise very little pitch in the course. Then the run course is both scenic and spectacularly flat. Actually the last 2 miles are pitched just slightly downhill so you can let it out as you hit the turnaround towards the finish. I prefer this course over 2 years ago just because I think the course should be fast at AGN, but that's my preference. Just a spectacular venue overall and USAT has gotten their stuff together to throw a great show. I'll be registering in the next month I imagine as I also got my qualification e-mail from when I raced Midwest Regionals.

We drove 3 days to get to Burlington Vermont 2 years ago and 3 days back. I think it's probably a matter of do you really want to go barring any weird happenings preventing you.

John, good job on sticking it out for the half. You always want a personal best time, but it doesn't always happen that way. I think there's something to be said about keeping it together to get it done despite not keeping on time for what you want. It's mentally more tough to keep pushing when you know you won't make it than to dig when you know you're going to have a good time so props to you.

If anybody has their base plans they want to share and work out as a group feel free to share I'm back in the thread now. I've been stacked with extra stuff taking up my time the last few weeks as I've been driving a lot farther for my swim workouts with my new coach (45-50 minutes vs 5 from before) so you can imagine how that kind of time will put you behind.

2013-10-12 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Hey TTom...can you tell me about the deal you got on your P2?

The job that did my fitting is offering me a deal on a 2012 P2 with Dura Ace buld.

This is basically the build: http://www.nytro.com/buy/cervelo-p2-duraace-triathlon-tt-bike/

i think the Dura Ace components are nice...what did you get?

2013-10-12 11:19 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

David, that looks like a really nice build.  My P2 is an Ultegra build, my Trek roadbike is a Dura Ace build.  I love my P2, but if I could have gotten it in a Dura Ace, I would have done so as it is a true step up.  The shifting is much smoother; that's the biggest difference I find between the two.  The deal I got was $2,350 and was happy with that.  I would say that if you can get the P2 Dura Ace for anything close to that, definitely go for it.

2013-10-13 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Jesse,
Thanks for the insight. I've pretty much made up my mind to go. Financially its doable, time off from work is doable. School starts early around here, so wife (teacher) and kids will be back in school by August 9th so it won't be a family trip. Only issue is finding someone to go with me as it's unreasonable to expect anyone to commit to the trip10 months out. Could do it myself but it's nice to have someone to share the driving and just help out with all the logistics regarding the race.
2013-10-13 11:09 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area
Got my invitation to the AG Nationals today much to my surprise. Never even thought I'd be in that group. Unfortunately it will be just a month after I do my first IM distance race, so won't be in any condition( I don't think) to make a decent showing, so I'm going to have to pass on it. Hope I get another chance in the future.
2013-10-14 1:27 PM

User image

Regular
SF Bay area

Did I mention how much it sucks to get back into the pool after being out for a measly 3-4 weeks?  A lot.  I cannot believe how quickly swimming fitness degrades.  I'm only hoping the recovery period is as rapid!

So Jesse, training over the next X months . . .   I'm going long next year, with my A race being the Vineman full on July 26.  For race training plans I'm considering the BT 20 week HR based program or alternatively the 12 week training program offered by the Vineman organizers and written by Dave LaTourette.  I used the Vineman plan (also 12 weeks) for my half and was really pleased with it, it fit into my lifestyle from a training standpoint, and I beat what I thought would be my best possible time by 19 minutes, so although it seems like a short training plan, it merits consideration.  If I go that way the pre-training plan training plan will have to build to a slightly higher level.  Unfortunately you don't get the whole plan in advance, it comes to you in installments as you progress, so it is tough to compare to other plans (I do have the 70.3 plan in its entirety that I could send if you want to see how it looked).  That all being said, I do like the way the BT plan integrates into both your training log and onto my Outlook calendar, so a few considerations.  For the time being, I'm going to assume a 20 week plan so that I can focus on the winter training.

If I count back the weeks, I need to get my butt into a plan starting next week.  I am looking at loosely following the BT Winter Maint/Prep - 7 to 10 Hours - 20 Week plan.  For the bike part, I think I'm going to do the TrainerRoad Intermediate Base II plan followed by the Intermediate Build I plan, doing 2-3 TR sessions each week and add in a 2-3 hour long ride.  I've been really happy with the progress I've seen working with TR, and it gives me good structure to do workouts I would otherwise not do.  For the swims, I've got to admit I'm not a real fan of drills, so I'll modify those workouts to add in 50/100/200/400 intervals to make up the distance when it calls for a lot of drill time (question: Why do so many plans incorporate long kicking drills when in a tri kicking is really not a key part of the focus in the swim?).

As of today I'm on track for the bike in terms of being able to follow the program I outlined above, for the run should be OK.  Ihad to take 3 weeks off with a bruised heel, but was able to do a 5-miler last week keeping HR in the aerobic zone and keeping my pace under 9:00/mile (sort of a benchmark).  The swim I'm a bit behind as you may have guessed from my opening line, but it'll be recoverable.  I'm already finding I'm having to tell myself this is offseason and the key part of the workouts will be form-related and building aerobic capacity - not pushing to hit peak training time results for each workout.  This could actually be one of the most important parts of the winter training as I struggle with dialing things down when racing to ensure I've got gas in the tank for the latter parts of the race.  Ought to be interesting, no?

OK, open to thoughts, guidance, wtf are you thinking, etc.  Time to let the fun begin!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16