BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-07 8:14 AM
in reply to: #4728982

, Alabama
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Hi,This sounds like the perfect group for me and I would love to join.User name: nms / name NoreenStory: I am 53 and have no sporting background whatsoever. I did try running a few years ago to help with depression, I did the cluck to 5k program and then got an injury after my first race. I had an X-ray and the doctor told me I had osteoarthritis in my hips, would need a hip replacement within five years and should never run again. I listened to him to about two years then got itchy to get back to it. I had been watching triathlons on tv and always said to myself if I was young I would love to do that, maybe in another life. Then somehow I discovered it was not all about ironman distance there was this thing called sprint distance. I decided to investigate. I reasoned that two of the disciplines were low impact and if I trained for the running mostly on a treadmill with only one run outside each week my hips would get by. I would rather have a few years of doing what I want than more of sitting around carefully preserving my body. So I joined a local tri club. I have now learnt to swim freestyle, before this I could swim but only breaststroke. I still run on my own as I am not up to their distances or speed yet. I cycle on my own as I am still learning there having bought a bike in February and not having cycled since I was about 12. Current Training: I take one rest day a week and try to run, cycle and swim three times a week. I try not to run two days in a row. This week so far I have not trained as I am fighting off a chest infection. It is not too bad but I have my first sprint event on Saturday and am hoping if I rest until tomorrow or Thursday the antibiotics will do their job so I can take part.Family status; married to a very supportive non athlete husband, I have four sons, three of whom are adults and have moved out onto their own lives and a fourteen year old who is still at home.This years races: I did a try a tri event last week. 400m swim, 13k bike and 3.5k run. I thought it would be a good one to start with to get used to the whole thing. My times were 9.37swim which included the run out to transition. I messed up in T1 spending time trying to get a cycling jersey on a wet body in the pouring rain and wasted a few minutes total T1 time 3.29 Cycle was 31.58. T2 1.02 Run 20.20. I came 24/33 females.I have four other sprints I have entered this season, all 750 swim, 20k cycle and 5k run. Next one, this Saturday is a pool swim, the two after that are open water and finally another pool one in September.I did a 5k for the stroke association in March. Finishing time around 34 mins, yes slow but I am getting there.I have also entered a 10k on 24 May. Yes I know my hips may not thank me but I want to do it and am working on the basis that I have built the supporting muscles up sufficiently that I won't suffer.Weight loss: that would be nice! I could do with losing 7-10 lbs.What I hope to get from this group: camaraderie with fellow beginners, advice and support from the mentor and to share my experiences and listen to the experiences of others to help us all grow as triathletes and enjoy our new found sport.

Edited by NMS 2013-05-07 9:11 AM

2013-05-07 8:16 AM
in reply to: #4725832

, Alabama
Sorry I tried to edit my post and put it into paragraph format but it didn't work!
2013-05-07 8:37 AM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

I am happy to see that this group is attracting members and the conversation is starting to pick up!

I made it to the YMCA after work yesterday and was able to get in a quick weight lifting session before my fiance showed up for our beginners yoga class. I don't think I want to hit the weights before yoga again... my arms were like jelly which makes downward facing dog a chore. I fully intend to do yoga 2 or 3 times per week as I definitely have some flexibility and balance issues.

I had run yesterday morning so I decided not to this morning, in the interest of starting off slowly. I didn't want to "waste" the morning so I decided to wake up my finance at 6:45 for a morning walk. She was a trooper and we ended up walking 2.35 miles. I like to include her in my exercising whenever I can. She doesn't have the same motivation to train as I do and that's OK. Maybe my journey will inspire her.

Tonight is my "beginners cycling" class at the YMCA. I am excited and scared. I am heading to a local sporting goods store to pick up some bike shorts and a water bottle. I want to try and make my first cycling experience as enjoyable as possible. I plan to put forth a decent effort but make sure not to push it too far in the beginning.

On a different note my finace and I have registered to volunteer at the Lake Placid Iron Man. We will be in the timing tent, printing race results for the finishers. I am very excited to see the atmosphere on a IM event first hand. We plan to make a fun weekend of it up in Lake Placid. She has family who owns a cabin about an hour and thirty minutes south of LP, so we won't have to pay for a place to stay.

I think I am going to register for my 1st Tri today. A sprint distance (750m/12.4mi/5k) up at Hunter Mountain. Once I do that I can officially say that I am training for a Triathlon!

2013-05-07 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4730804

User image

Extreme Veteran

NMS - 2013-05-07 8:14 AM Hi,This sounds like the perfect group for me and I would love to join.User name: nms / name NoreenStory: I am 53 and have no sporting background whatsoever. I did try running a few years ago to help with depression, I did the cluck to 5k program and then got an injury after my first race. I had an X-ray and the doctor told me I had osteoarthritis in my hips, would need a hip replacement within five years and should never run again. I listened to him to about two years then got itchy to get back to it. I had been watching triathlons on tv and always said to myself if I was young I would love to do that, maybe in another life. Then somehow I discovered it was not all about ironman distance there was this thing called sprint distance. I decided to investigate. I reasoned that two of the disciplines were low impact and if I trained for the running mostly on a treadmill with only one run outside each week my hips would get by. I would rather have a few years of doing what I want than more of sitting around carefully preserving my body. So I joined a local tri club. I have now learnt to swim freestyle, before this I could swim but only breaststroke. I still run on my own as I am not up to their distances or speed yet. I cycle on my own as I am still learning there having bought a bike in February and not having cycled since I was about 12. Current Training: I take one rest day a week and try to run, cycle and swim three times a week. I try not to run two days in a row. This week so far I have not trained as I am fighting off a chest infection. It is not too bad but I have my first sprint event on Saturday and am hoping if I rest until tomorrow or Thursday the antibiotics will do their job so I can take part.Family status; married to a very supportive non athlete husband, I have four sons, three of whom are adults and have moved out onto their own lives and a fourteen year old who is still at home.This years races: I did a try a tri event last week. 400m swim, 13k bike and 3.5k run. I thought it would be a good one to start with to get used to the whole thing. My times were 9.30 swim which included the run out to transition. I messed up in T1 spending time trying to get a cycling jersey on a wet body in the pouring rain and wasted three minutes. Cycle was 35.58. T2 1.58. Run 20.20. I came 24/33 females.I have four other sprints I have entered this season, all 750 swim, 20k cycle and 5k run. Next one, this Saturday is a pool swim, the two after that are open water and finally another pool one in September.I did a 5k for the stroke association in March. Finishing time around 34 mins, yes slow but I am getting there.I have also entered a 10k on 24 May. Yes I know my hips may not thank me but I want to do it and am working on the basis that I have built the supporting muscles up sufficiently that I won't suffer.Weight loss: that would be nice! I could do with losing 7-10 lbs.What I hope to get from this group: camaraderie with fellow beginners, advice and support from the mentor and to share my experiences and listen to the experiences of others to help us all grow as triathletes and enjoy our new found sport.

Welcome Noreen, you have already accomplished several things including your first sprint, but more importantly not letting yourself become a couch potato.  You seem to have a good hold of your physical condition and are the only one (along w/ doctor) who can know when to put your foot on the gas and when to take it off.  Don't forget that there are training options that may decrease the stress to your hip for running purposes, aqua jogging and the eliptical to name a few.  I'm sure you know this but some sprints and longer distance tri's even have, duathlons were you just swim and bike.  I tell you this just to let you know that even if the hip is bothering you run wise, you can still be active and particpate in events.  I really like your attitude towards things and believe that you will be great for the group.  Also, don't worry about your time in this group, PR's (personal records) will be celebrated, but our accomplishments will not be measured in time or what place we finish.Smile

2013-05-07 8:56 AM

, Alabama
Thank you. I have uploaded some of my training into a training log now. It is a bit haphazard as I don't always remember to use my garmin, which is a new thing for me having been a recent present from my husband. I also haven't recorded properly my treadmill runs or swims but will do so from now on. I am looking forward to hearing how everyone else is getting along, and if they have become totally addicted like I have!

Edited by NMS 2013-05-07 8:56 AM
2013-05-07 9:06 AM
in reply to: #4730847

User image

Extreme Veteran
MJSolt - 2013-05-07 8:37 AM

I am happy to see that this group is attracting members and the conversation is starting to pick up!

I made it to the YMCA after work yesterday and was able to get in a quick weight lifting session before my fiance showed up for our beginners yoga class. I don't think I want to hit the weights before yoga again... my arms were like jelly which makes downward facing dog a chore. I fully intend to do yoga 2 or 3 times per week as I definitely have some flexibility and balance issues.

I had run yesterday morning so I decided not to this morning, in the interest of starting off slowly. I didn't want to "waste" the morning so I decided to wake up my finance at 6:45 for a morning walk. She was a trooper and we ended up walking 2.35 miles. I like to include her in my exercising whenever I can. She doesn't have the same motivation to train as I do and that's OK. Maybe my journey will inspire her.

Tonight is my "beginners cycling" class at the YMCA. I am excited and scared. I am heading to a local sporting goods store to pick up some bike shorts and a water bottle. I want to try and make my first cycling experience as enjoyable as possible. I plan to put forth a decent effort but make sure not to push it too far in the beginning.

On a different note my finace and I have registered to volunteer at the Lake Placid Iron Man. We will be in the timing tent, printing race results for the finishers. I am very excited to see the atmosphere on a IM event first hand. We plan to make a fun weekend of it up in Lake Placid. She has family who owns a cabin about an hour and thirty minutes south of LP, so we won't have to pay for a place to stay.

I think I am going to register for my 1st Tri today. A sprint distance (750m/12.4mi/5k) up at Hunter Mountain. Once I do that I can officially say that I am training for a Triathlon!

Reading about your Yoga class reminded me for the first time I ever did Yoga.  It was a portion of the P-90X training and while I was doing it I thought what a joke, no weights, minimal activity, bendy bendy, downward dog, until I woke up in the morning.  I could not believe that I was sore in places I did not even know that I had muscles.  I don't do it but a few times a month but know how much it helps with flexiblity and balance.

Nice job on the Lake Placid Volunteer.  You will learn a lot by just watching and are giving back at the same time.

Beginner Cycling (again way to take advantage of options you have) - it is good that you are going to get yourself a pair of bike shorts, but unless you buy both you will have to make a decision.  Do you get Cycling Shorts or Tri Shorts?  What's the difference, the padding.  Cycling shorts have a much thicker padding then tri shorts.  If you can only buy one I would suggest the Cycling Shorts becuase they will help you acclimate to the saddle time and prevent some of the pains you have to endure when you first start riding on a regular bases.  The down side to them if used in a shorter distance tri is that most do not find them comfortable to run in and the thick padding soaks up alot of water during the swim (wet diaper).  You will likely use the cycling shorts way more often for training than the Tri Shorts especially at the start.

Sign up for first try? Why not!Cool  If you feel that you will be ready to complete the distances there is no reason not to. It will give you that goal to work towards, help to keep you motivated, and like I have said several times, already it doesn't have to be about the time on the clock.  First one should be about, Fun, Expericence, and the Memory. 

2013-05-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4730915

User image

Rensselaer, New York
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 10:06 AM

Reading about your Yoga class reminded me for the first time I ever did Yoga.  It was a portion of the P-90X training and while I was doing it I thought what a joke, no weights, minimal activity, bendy bendy, downward dog, until I woke up in the morning.  I could not believe that I was sore in places I did not even know that I had muscles.  I don't do it but a few times a month but know how much it helps with flexiblity and balance.

Nice job on the Lake Placid Volunteer.  You will learn a lot by just watching and are giving back at the same time.

Beginner Cycling (again way to take advantage of options you have) - it is good that you are going to get yourself a pair of bike shorts, but unless you buy both you will have to make a decision.  Do you get Cycling Shorts or Tri Shorts?  What's the difference, the padding.  Cycling shorts have a much thicker padding then tri shorts.  If you can only buy one I would suggest the Cycling Shorts becuase they will help you acclimate to the saddle time and prevent some of the pains you have to endure when you first start riding on a regular bases.  The down side to them if used in a shorter distance tri is that most do not find them comfortable to run in and the thick padding soaks up alot of water during the swim (wet diaper).  You will likely use the cycling shorts way more often for training than the Tri Shorts especially at the start.

Sign up for first try? Why not!Cool  If you feel that you will be ready to complete the distances there is no reason not to. It will give you that goal to work towards, help to keep you motivated, and like I have said several times, already it doesn't have to be about the time on the clock.  First one should be about, Fun, Expericence, and the Memory. 

The bike shorts I was looking at were lightly padded. I was taking a look at the bikes in the cycling studio at the Y and they seem to be fairly well padded. I know hat won't be the case on my road bike when I get around to buying one. I am hoping that the lightly padded shorts, along with the padded seat will help me acclimate slowly this way I can get some tri shorts this summer (when I get my bike) and go from there.

I remember the P90X Yoga... it was like an hour and forty five minutes long! I did it once and that was it for me. My shoulders are a bit sore today. It was a beginners yoga class so it was fairly easy. They only offer that class once per week so I may have to suck it up and go to the regular yoga class. We'll see. 

Also...

Dear Michael Solt,
Thank you! You are now registered for the HITS Triathlon Series - Hunter Mountain, NY 2013 - HITS Sprint Triathlon. Please check the event's website for updates.

There you will find course maps, things to do in the area and a listing of our lodging partners who have great rooms at affordable rates for athletes competing in the HITS Triathlon Series.

We look forward to seeing you, good luck and much success with your training.

Best,

HITS Triathlon Series

2013-05-07 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4730983

User image

Extreme Veteran

Also...

Dear Michael Solt,
Thank you! You are now registered for the HITS Triathlon Series - Hunter Mountain, NY 2013 - HITS Sprint Triathlon. Please check the event's website for updates.

There you will find course maps, things to do in the area and a listing of our lodging partners who have great rooms at affordable rates for athletes competing in the HITS Triathlon Series.

Best,

HITS Triathlon Series

Congratulations Michael,

Now you are Training for a TriathlonCool!

2013-05-07 2:25 PM

User image

Hey all!!

Found BT a couple weeks ago while trolling the net for some tri info. I have never competed in a tri and am hoping to spend the rest of this season training for a half marathon I am running in October with the intent of triathlons next season.

I have been running pretty steady for the last year and started up with biking this spring. Right now its the swimming that killing me (granted I have only been to the pool a few times.) Hard to cope with the idea that I can easily complete 15 mile training rides and 7-10 mile runs - however a 100m in the pool might as well be an ironman in endurance in itself.

I am going to up my swimming to hopefully a few times a week and am going to go to my first adult swim lesson tomorrow night. I sure hope getting up to speed in the water is not going to take as long as getting from the couch to 5k.

Anyway! Thats my story...no event on the radar yet, likely not until next season (or at least until I can swim 750m respectfully.)

Jason
2013-05-07 3:07 PM

, Alabama

Hi Jason,

I am not sure how much experience you have with the swimming but as you mention you are starting lessons I thought I would share a few tips that have helped me over the past few months with getting to grips with it.

Push your chest into the water so you feel as though you are swimming slightly downhill - this will cause your legs to come up in the water and therefore there will be less drag and you will use a lot less energy to get to the end of the pool. :-)

I find breathing every second stroke instead of every third (bilateral) makes it easier as I get more oxygen in.  Also try just to turn your head to breathe rather than lift it as this causes your legs to go down again.  Slow down!  If you are trying to go fast you are wasting energy.  Long smooth slow strokes are more effective and you will actually go faster.  I also found that if I slowed down enough I found a pace at which I could keep going for ages - this took a few weeks but I found it eventually.  I went from not being able to swim a length without being totally exhausted to now being able to swim continuously for two miles (in the pool), this was accomplished in a few weeks. It is surprising how quickly it builds up once you get your technique right. I also found a nose clip a great help as part of my problem was water going up my nose and causing me to panic / choke / cough etc.

I hope you find some of these useful, I know they helped me.  I am now looking forward to my next challenge which is open water swimming!  Good luck with your lessons I hope it all comes together for you!

2013-05-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4731717

User image

Extreme Veteran

Usulsuspct - 2013-05-07 2:25 PM Hey all!! Found BT a couple weeks ago while trolling the net for some tri info. I have never competed in a tri and am hoping to spend the rest of this season training for a half marathon I am running in October with the intent of triathlons next season. I have been running pretty steady for the last year and started up with biking this spring. Right now its the swimming that killing me (granted I have only been to the pool a few times.) Hard to cope with the idea that I can easily complete 15 mile training rides and 7-10 mile runs - however a 100m in the pool might as well be an ironman in endurance in itself. I am going to up my swimming to hopefully a few times a week and am going to go to my first adult swim lesson tomorrow night. I sure hope getting up to speed in the water is not going to take as long as getting from the couch to 5k. Anyway! Thats my story...no event on the radar yet, likely not until next season (or at least until I can swim 750m respectfully.) Jason

Welcome to the group Jason,

Your run experience and training will carry you much further in this sport than you may believe.  Do not stress over the swim, within a month of regular swim sessions you will notice quit a difference in the distances you can swim.  This increase will likely be much greater when you add in the swim classes becuase they will catch any major and most minor swim flaws you have.  Think of swimming in a little different terms,  you are a runner and have been for a while, but you are training to run a Half Marathon, why because you need to.  For some reason most people, and I was one, believe that there is a difference in the pool and that they should just hop in and swim a mile.  You also did not hop on a bike as a kid and go for a century ride.  I promise you it will come and probably come quicker than the increases you have felt when you started running.  Heck you will likely be at or near the 750 mark a month or two from now by taking lessons and swimming 3x a week.  You might even find yourself signing up for your first sprint tri in a few months.   

Jason again, welcome to the group.

2013-05-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4731823

User image

Extreme Veteran
NMS - 2013-05-07 3:07 PM

Hi Jason,

I am not sure how much experience you have with the swimming but as you mention you are starting lessons I thought I would share a few tips that have helped me over the past few months with getting to grips with it.

Push your chest into the water so you feel as though you are swimming slightly downhill - this will cause your legs to come up in the water and therefore there will be less drag and you will use a lot less energy to get to the end of the pool. :-)

I find breathing every second stroke instead of every third (bilateral) makes it easier as I get more oxygen in.  Also try just to turn your head to breathe rather than lift it as this causes your legs to go down again.  Slow down!  If you are trying to go fast you are wasting energy.  Long smooth slow strokes are more effective and you will actually go faster.  I also found that if I slowed down enough I found a pace at which I could keep going for ages - this took a few weeks but I found it eventually.  I went from not being able to swim a length without being totally exhausted to now being able to swim continuously for two miles (in the pool), this was accomplished in a few weeks. It is surprising how quickly it builds up once you get your technique right. I also found a nose clip a great help as part of my problem was water going up my nose and causing me to panic / choke / cough etc.

I hope you find some of these useful, I know they helped me.  I am now looking forward to my next challenge which is open water swimming!  Good luck with your lessons I hope it all comes together for you!

Fellow Turtles,

I was going to post this when we were full but Noreen stepped up and got the ball rolling, so here it is.

When a member of the group post a question / comment, I encourage anyone who feels they have information to offer to do so.  I am by no means the be all, end all of triathlon (not even close).  My daughter's teacher told me something that I found very interesting in reference to this topic.  (Please bear with me for a minute)  We were talking about my daughter and her behavior / performance in his math class.  He told me that she would interupt in class and offer her opinion on how a math equation or problem could be solved.  He said that he shut her down several times until one day her called her out on it and told her to tell the class her thoughts.  He said that what she said made sense, and more importantly worked without flaws.  He then told that some of the other kids that were having problems with working it his way, tried hers and it worked.  I say this not to brag on my daughter (maybe a little) but to instead remind everyone in the group that everyone learns in different ways.  The the person asking the question will have several options to chose from and will do so.  I do however ask that no one call out anyones ideas / tips as wrong or crazy, if you don't like it don't use it.  I will only say something if I know it to be dangerous or a violation of the rules or forum rules per BT, which I really don't see happening.

2013-05-07 5:06 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Morning all,

Wow, so much has happened while I've been asleep!

Todd, thanks for such a warm welcomeSmile. Hopefully I'll remember 5km is 3 miles and the distances will make sense to me. I'm sort-of following a set half marathon plan from the Sydney marathon site, but with adjustments for strength training and a swim. Basically one long run, one short run and one speed session each week, but I overdid last week's first ever speed session (I was having fun!) and am now nursing bilateral hamstring strains so I'll stick to the slow work for a while longer. The other 3 days are 2 at the gym and 1 in the pool. Yes, it will be my first half marathon, if I can make the distance.

Noreen, your story is amazing! It's inspiring you've managed all that after the doc said no more running. The body is a wonderful thing, I always marvel at just what it can do given a bit of time and perseverance. I feel like I'm still conditioning mine to cope with running, I've walked a lot all my life but it's taking some time to develop the running muscles. I'll get there with time!

Hi Jason, and welcome! I'll add a +1 to everything Noreen said about swimming. Swim downhill, and keep your head in the water, just turn to breathe. I imagine a big spike like a narwhal's tusk sticking out of the top of my head and piercing the water for me to pass, and I try to keep it in the water pointing forwards (maybe a strange image but it works for me...Embarassed). I found a lot of useful stuff in the Total Immersion websites and YouTube videos, it helped me rebalance and streamline. 

Sounds like we've got a fine group coming together. I've added all of you to my friends list on my training log, hopefully I've done it right and you can see  it. It'd be nice to work out how to put photos on (I believe it's possible), I'll have a play around with it. Good luck with your workouts, everyone!Laughing

2013-05-07 5:16 PM
in reply to: #4730983

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
MJSolt - 2013-05-08 12:29 AM
Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 10:06 AM

Also...

Dear Michael Solt,

Best,

HITS Triathlon Series

Nice one! You're committed now!LaughingLaughing

2013-05-07 6:12 PM

User image

Rensselaer, New York

First Spin Class

Sweat

Ouch

Will I ever walk right again?

Ouch

Gonna go stretch

2013-05-07 8:36 PM
in reply to: #4732175

User image

Extreme Veteran
MJSolt - 2013-05-07 6:12 PM

First Spin Class

Sweat

Ouch

Will I ever walk right again?

Ouch

Gonna go stretch

LaughingMichael, this cracked me up.Tongue out  Let's do a first timers spin class test.  Did you look around to see who, if anyone, was struggling like you?  I remember looking around and seeing people that appeared out of shape that were killing it, and I was just wondering when the heck it was gonna end.  It's funny though because when you finish and cool off you kind of want more. Wink  Almost forgot the other test question. Did you feel a little funny walking in with bike shorts on?  Great Job Man

2013-05-07 9:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville

Room for one more?

NAME: Rnay225/Rennay (pronounced like Renee)

STORY: I'm a 25 year old second time college student. I did my first and only sprint tri last summer and have kept up and improved my SBR all winter even though I'm still pretty slow. I'm planning to do more sprints this year with the first being on May 18th which I'm super nervous about since it'll be my first time in a wetsuit. I originally planned to do my first oly this year but started graduate school in January and got too overwhelmed with everything to add in more intense training. I'm now switching programs and starting the path of becoming a Registered Dietitian and moving from Louisville, KY to the Dallas, TX area at the end of the summer and couldn't be happier! I'm not sure what started me in triathlons other than wanting to try something new. I used to run and did a full marathon in 2010 before quitting altogether for 2 years and gaining 60+ lbs so once I started working out again I decided I wanted to one day do an IM so went to the beginning and started with a sprint.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married but in a long term relationship. No kids. 2 cats and 1 dog who runs with me from time to time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running all winter and just capped off my winter races with a HM on April 27th. I haven't been swimming as much as I should but I've been riding on the trainer and in spinning classes and lots of running. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Again, I've done lots of running races since January (2 10-milers, 2 HMs, a 10K and a couple of 5Ks). I'm planning to do a sprint on May 18th and another in June. Not sure about the rest of the summer yet though.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half and am down 50 ish pounds. I set goals in 10 lb increments and have 25 lbs left to my overall goal weight. I'm really into food and nutrition and that's really the way weight is lost in my opinion.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: I'm just hoping to find a place where I can talk about tris with people who won't get annoyed and with people who can get it. I also just want to feel more connected to the triathlon community and be more comfortable with my race times and performance regardless of how slow they are.

2013-05-07 10:24 PM

User image

New user

Colorado

I would love to join your group if there is room!

NAME: KaraSchmitz

STORY: Hello All!  I signed up for my very first tri (sprint) today...about 15 seconds ago, and I am terrified yet exhilarated at the same time.  I have been a long time runner, usually finishing middle of the pack, so that was a big draw to this group.  I am not fast but I am fierce Smile.  

Because of my experience the run is no big deal, but the swim is a different story as I have never been a particularly strong swimmer.  I found a place that will do open water lessons that I hope will prepare me mentally as well as physically. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am recently married.  Our first anniversary will actually be the week before the race.  We have 2 spoiled dogs that shed, bark, and drool, but we love them all the same. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Of course I am running.  I am currently training for a half marathon in June, but I have not yet added biking or swimming components.  I have been upping my weight training the past few weeks to develop more strength in my upper body and quads.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have not completed any races this year yet, but am signed up for two half marathons in June and one marathon in October, in addition to my tri on August 24th.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have that last nagging 5 lbs or so that I would like to lose, but I mostly need to tone up.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP:  MOTIVATION, MOTIVATION, and ACCOUNTABILITY.  I tend to let life get in the way of my training, and I know that I have more potential than my race results show.  Also, my husband is rather against this, mainly due to the swim, so having support and encouragement from others that may be dealing with discouraging voices would be great.

Also, I have no idea where to start, what gear I need, how the transition between legs occurs....and a host of other details, so I look forward to benefiting from the knowledge of the group so I can be as prepared and confident as possible on race day.

So excited!

2013-05-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #4730729

Hunting Triathlete - 2013-05-07 7:14 AM
ibr80 - 2013-05-06 11:02 PM

NAME: ibr80/ Isaac

STORY: Im 33 years old and about 9 months ago I hit an all time low after reaching an all time high. I 

was about 315 pounds, and that pretty big considering Im 5'8. I cant exactly point out what clicked but 

some of the factors that motivated me to loose weight were some health issue's like constant palpitations, terrible espisodes of heartburn that would often feel like heart attack symptoms, terrible plantar facia problems to the point were I could barely walk for the first hour or so after waking up, and of course the single most important reason was my family. Im currently at 187 pounds and I feel like a new person. I wanted different ways of working out and I started to go to the gym, play soccer on weekends, basketball oscacionally, purchased Bowflex dumbells setup with bench for the house, P90X and most recently and my main sport of choice is cycling !! I went to a friend of mine who I knew was riding and asked him for advice. I purchased a hybrid bike ( 2013 Cannondale Bad Boy 5 ) only to sell it and change it for a Specialized Roubaix carbon road bike after a month and Im in cycling heaven. I just completed my very first adventure this past Sunday by completing the 40 mile New York 5 Boro Bike Tour in just about 2 hours and now Im thirsty for more adventures, thus the reason why Im here posting this. I have always admired triathlon competitors and it was always a dream of mine to some day do one no matter how small or insignificant. I have my eye on the Staten Island Triathlon ( 400M Swim, 12 Mile Bike, 5K Run ) but as insignificant as it may seam to many of you, it seams like a dream to me even though I believe I can finnish it. Im weakness would be Running but Im sure I can train hard enough to do 5K. 

FAMILY STATUS: married / 1 Child  ( 6 years old

CURRENT TRAINING:    3-6 workouts a week. Weight Training 3 times a week, Bike 3 times a week ( about 80 miles per week ), Running 2-3 times a week 1-2 miles.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2013 New York 5 Boro Bike Tour

WEIGHTLOSS:  Looking to reach a nice healthy and fit 170-175 pounds, maybe even 165 if my body

dictates.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Encouragement, Sensitivity, Motivation, friends and Knowledge.

Welcome Issac, you have an inspirational story and should be proud of yourself.  First off let me say that no goal in this group will be viewed as insignificant.  Second, that is a nice ride and time with an average near 20, which would set you up well for the cycling portion.  Third, don't worry that much about the run because you can always walk it if you have to.  No, it might not be what you want, but unlike swimming your not going to drown.Wink When is the Staten Island Tri, because if your cycling is at the point it is, and you are not worried about the swim, then you should be good to sign up and give it a go.  Like I said as long as the other two are fine, you could always walk if it came to that, and there will be others doing the same, trust me.  Again Welcome

The triathlon is August 12th this year, so we have time to get my cardio on for running. Currently I manage a mile in under 9:30 and I would be very happy if I could keep that for the 3 miles.

2013-05-07 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4732408

User image

New user

Colorado
I just went through my second degree as well, and I will start grad school in August.  What program are you in?
2013-05-07 10:30 PM
in reply to: #4732408

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rnay225 - 2013-05-07 9:40 PM

Room for one more?

NAME: Rnay225/Rennay (pronounced like Renee)

STORY: I'm a 25 year old second time college student. I did my first and only sprint tri last summer and have kept up and improved my SBR all winter even though I'm still pretty slow. I'm planning to do more sprints this year with the first being on May 18th which I'm super nervous about since it'll be my first time in a wetsuit. I originally planned to do my first oly this year but started graduate school in January and got too overwhelmed with everything to add in more intense training. I'm now switching programs and starting the path of becoming a Registered Dietitian and moving from Louisville, KY to the Dallas, TX area at the end of the summer and couldn't be happier! I'm not sure what started me in triathlons other than wanting to try something new. I used to run and did a full marathon in 2010 before quitting altogether for 2 years and gaining 60+ lbs so once I started working out again I decided I wanted to one day do an IM so went to the beginning and started with a sprint.

FAMILY STATUS: Not married but in a long term relationship. No kids. 2 cats and 1 dog who runs with me from time to time.

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been running all winter and just capped off my winter races with a HM on April 27th. I haven't been swimming as much as I should but I've been riding on the trainer and in spinning classes and lots of running. 

THIS YEAR'S RACES: Again, I've done lots of running races since January (2 10-milers, 2 HMs, a 10K and a couple of 5Ks). I'm planning to do a sprint on May 18th and another in June. Not sure about the rest of the summer yet though.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have been trying to lose weight for about a year and a half and am down 50 ish pounds. I set goals in 10 lb increments and have 25 lbs left to my overall goal weight. I'm really into food and nutrition and that's really the way weight is lost in my opinion.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: I'm just hoping to find a place where I can talk about tris with people who won't get annoyed and with people who can get it. I also just want to feel more connected to the triathlon community and be more comfortable with my race times and performance regardless of how slow they are.

Rennay, welcome to the group.

Let me tell you first off that you are more than welcome and I along with the others in this group will make sure you know that.  Trust me there will be no issue with speed in reference to you or anyone else.  We will all work together to accomplish our goals, whether we run like rabbits or the mighty green turtle.  We will have fun, stay active, and support each other.  I can also tell you that there is a huge triathlon community in Dallas as well as the surrounding area.

Welcome again, Rennay

2013-05-07 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4732464

User image

Extreme Veteran
KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-07 10:24 PM

I would love to join your group if there is room!

NAME: KaraSchmitz

STORY: Hello All!  I signed up for my very first tri (sprint) today...about 15 seconds ago, and I am terrified yet exhilarated at the same time.  I have been a long time runner, usually finishing middle of the pack, so that was a big draw to this group.  I am not fast but I am fierce Smile.  

Because of my experience the run is no big deal, but the swim is a different story as I have never been a particularly strong swimmer.  I found a place that will do open water lessons that I hope will prepare me mentally as well as physically. 

FAMILY STATUS: I am recently married.  Our first anniversary will actually be the week before the race.  We have 2 spoiled dogs that shed, bark, and drool, but we love them all the same. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Of course I am running.  I am currently training for a half marathon in June, but I have not yet added biking or swimming components.  I have been upping my weight training the past few weeks to develop more strength in my upper body and quads.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I have not completed any races this year yet, but am signed up for two half marathons in June and one marathon in October, in addition to my tri on August 24th.

WEIGHTLOSS: I have that last nagging 5 lbs or so that I would like to lose, but I mostly need to tone up.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP:  MOTIVATION, MOTIVATION, and ACCOUNTABILITY.  I tend to let life get in the way of my training, and I know that I have more potential than my race results show.  Also, my husband is rather against this, mainly due to the swim, so having support and encouragement from others that may be dealing with discouraging voices would be great.

Also, I have no idea where to start, what gear I need, how the transition between legs occurs....and a host of other details, so I look forward to benefiting from the knowledge of the group so I can be as prepared and confident as possible on race day.

So excited!

Kara, first off welcome to the group.  Second, Congrats on taking the leap and signing up for your first sprint try. Cool As I have posted previously the biggest thing to help with the swim is to swim.  Swim classes if available are the best way to go, but they give you the tools you still have to drive the machine.  We will get you ready for your first tri and I encourage you to stop giving much weight to your times especially your first triathlon time.  Your first needs to be about the journey.  Don't let your husband get you down, it could be that he's worried about your safety, is afraid you will change, may wonder what is bringing this on, or he may be afraid that you will try to get him involved.  I can tell you that I have a way that supports as far as going to the races, but does not understand and would never consider doing a tri, which is fine.  I just had to get her to understand that I enjoy it and learned to set workouts so they don't affect the family much.  Your question about the transition and things I will answer and address shortly becuase the group will likely be closed in the next day or so, and we will kick things off then.

Welcome Again, Kara

2013-05-07 10:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Issac if your run is at that point now, you should not have a problem maintaining that, but I believe better come August.
2013-05-08 5:03 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Hi Kara and Rennay, it's great to hear your stories. I would love to have that much running experience under my belt, I'm really only just starting out with the run...It will come with time, I hope. I'm actually feeling pretty frustrated with my own running this evening, I've been nursing hamstring/quadriceps pain for some time (a few weeks if I really am honest with myself) and it doesn't seem to be improving much. Up a bit, down a bit...this evening I had a minor stumble on the stairs and had terrible shooting pain in both thighs. NOOOOOO!!!! I'm going to face up to the need for some time off to rest. It's my own silly fault for doing too much, too soon. Hopefully I'll be good enough to swim soon so at least I can try and maintain some fitness, but it's so frustrating! Dammit I hate injury!Edited to try and re-insert paragraphs

Edited by Taringa 2013-05-08 5:08 AM
2013-05-08 5:11 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Hmm, I can't put the paragraph spacing in. I've posted this from my tablet and it won't paragraph, does anyone know how to fix the problem? I'm sorry, most of my posts are going to look pretty messy and be hard to read....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45