BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-09-17 5:16 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Not fast enough
I hear you Beth! I am going through similiar although I have the luxuary of some time to decide on IM Texas and get the money together. I just don't have 600 bucks to throw away for one thing, and am not sure if I want to commit to training for a full at this point. I think for me the money issue is the bigger issue right now. I know that I could do two halfs and a couple other races here for the cost of entering just one IM race. I am torn, I want to but then again I don't.

2013-09-18 11:22 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Hi guys! I'm sorry I've been MIA but I finally updated my logs and posted a race report for a last minute sprint tri I did on Sunday. Long story short it went really well! It was what will likely be my last race as an Athena (165+ lbs) but I managed to get 2nd in the Athena Under 39 age group! Woo hoo! I didn't know that and certainly wasn't expecting an award so I didn't stick around but now I've got a nice shiny something coming my way. Again, sorry to disappear. I'm catching up reading all of your posts and am so proud of everyone for having such a successful summer of personal growth and positive or learning experiences!

(T4S 6.jpg)

(T4S 11.jpg)

(T4S 9.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
T4S 6.jpg (69KB - 31 downloads)
T4S 11.jpg (66KB - 23 downloads)
T4S 9.jpg (139KB - 23 downloads)
2013-09-18 11:25 AM
in reply to: Rnay225

User image

Veteran
Louisville
And for shameless promotion, here's the blog I wrote about the race

http://rnay225.blogspot.com/2013/09/tri-for-sight-race-recap.html
2013-09-18 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Rnay225

Hi guys! I'm sorry I've been MIA but I finally updated my logs and posted a race report for a last minute sprint tri I did on Sunday. Long story short it went really well! It was what will likely be my last race as an Athena (165+ lbs) but I managed to get 2nd in the Athena Under 39 age group! Woo hoo! I didn't know that and certainly wasn't expecting an award so I didn't stick around but now I've got a nice shiny something coming my way. Again, sorry to disappear. I'm catching up reading all of your posts and am so proud of everyone for having such a successful summer of personal growth and positive or learning experiences!

You looked really good out there! And great job on the new metal as well,! And we are glad to have you back.
2013-09-19 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great Pics and congrats on the new hardware!!
2013-09-20 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Pace Increase
My fastest training run has been about a 14:20 pace. My last 5K was 8/31 and I ran a 13:55.

Today, my training run was a 13:48 pace! At first it felt hard but then ok. I am definitely improving.

2013-09-20 3:48 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: swim improvement
I am so proud of myself. I was so inconsistent in my swimming, I made no progress really. I swam once a week and sometimes I would add a second swim but never consistently. My summer swimming wasn't consistent, even though I was suppose to be following my "swim zero to one mile program".

Since starting this "Run, Bike, Swim Challenge" on the challenge forum this month, I have swam 3x a week. If I am late for swim class or my swim group, I go anyway instead of rolling over in bed like I use to.
The improvement in my swim and endurance this month is so noticeable I could kick myself for not sticking with it last year.

I am looking forward to what my progress will be by the end of the month. What you can accomplish when you are consistent!

Todd had asked us to join a challenge this summer but I did not. Now that I have, it is such a motivation. It's run team vs swim team vs bike team. We are all gunning for first place. As long as I meet or exceed my goal, I will consider myself a winner.
2013-09-20 4:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: swim improvement
Great Job on all fronts. I also find it funny how something as simple as a challenge or group can really make a difference. I know for me the challenges just align common people with common goals, which is really nice. Now think if you had joined a challenge back then Again, great job!!!!!!
2013-09-20 5:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Great Job on all fronts. I also find it funny how something as simple as a challenge or group can really make a difference. I know for me the challenges just align common people with common goals, which is really nice. Now think if you had joined a challenge back then Again, great job!!!!!!

I know, I could just kick myself. However, I think I'm a little more focusef now too.
2013-09-20 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Do you consider swimming 1650 yards a mile?
I know that's what Olympic and International competition uses.
However, 1 mile in yards is 1760, so most pools round to 1800 or 72 lengths.

For your workouts, do you base it on a pool mile of 1650 yards or an actual mile of 1760 or the rounded 1800 yards?
2013-09-21 8:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I consider 1800 yards as a mile when I swim.

2013-09-22 9:00 PM

Most in the swim community consider 1650 (33 laps of a 25-yard pool) to be a mile, though as you say it's really more like 35+.
I guess they figure if you can do 1650, you can do the rest. Sort of like a gimme in golf.
2013-09-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: RZ0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ya, I use 1800 because in my eyes the overage covers the distance benefit I may or may not get each time I come off the wall.
2013-09-24 6:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Got a really slow 30 minute swim in. I am already super slow snail pace but this morning a snail could have swam faster.
I was tired and should have taken a rest day but today is when my swim group meets. I hate to flake.

Yesterday, I went to a 5:30 am 1 hour spin but left at 45 minute mark , hopped down the hall to the last 30 minutes of boot camp when she does her strength/core work. Then at 6pm, I had my 10K training class. My son had a lacrosse game so I shortened my run to 2 miles. It was short BUT I ran full speed, 30 seconds faster per mile than my 5K I did in August. Yes, I am slow right now, so a 13.25 pace is fast for me. My runs have been a good 1 min/mile slower.

I need a rest day, its been 2 weeks since my last full rest day because my schedule had to be changed as my husband travels.
Leaving work early today, come home and rest, no workouts the rest of the day so I can be rested for my run (am) and swim (pm) tomorrow.
2013-09-24 7:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Got a really slow 30 minute swim in. I am already super slow snail pace but this morning a snail could have swam faster.
I was tired and should have taken a rest day but today is when my swim group meets. I hate to flake.

Yesterday, I went to a 5:30 am 1 hour spin but left at 45 minute mark , hopped down the hall to the last 30 minutes of boot camp when she does her strength/core work. Then at 6pm, I had my 10K training class. My son had a lacrosse game so I shortened my run to 2 miles. It was short BUT I ran full speed, 30 seconds faster per mile than my 5K I did in August. Yes, I am slow right now, so a 13.25 pace is fast for me. My runs have been a good 1 min/mile slower.

I need a rest day, its been 2 weeks since my last full rest day because my schedule had to be changed as my husband travels.
Leaving work early today, come home and rest, no workouts the rest of the day so I can be rested for my run (am) and swim (pm) tomorrow.

Rest days are so important as I'm sure you are seeing. It gives your body a chance to recover from five to six days of training. But on the other side of the coin I understand where you are coming from in not taking rest days. But it's definitely needed in any training program. speaking from experience here, by pushing your self post your bodies warning you set yourself up for illness or injury. Then your body will force you into a rest. And from the sound of it your body is giving you those warnings with the slower swims.

Hang in there and take a day or two off. I think you'll be amazed how much better you'll be able to train when you return to training. Oh yeah, congrats on the increased speed on your run!!! Seeing gains is a wonderful motivator.

Beth
2013-09-26 12:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

For September, I challenged myself to swim 580 minutes and 3x a week. I don't think I am going to reach my goal of 580 minutes of swimming. I will be at 75% by month end. I based my goal being able to swim 40 minutes when I swim on my own but I can only get in 30 minutes at a time.

Even though I may not get my goal of total minutes, I will reach my goal of swimming 3x a week. I have not been this consistent in swimming 3x a week before, I mean ever. For me, I made progress. I can see and feel the difference in my swim.

2013-09-27 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Running getting better
I have been running faster on my shorter runs, around 13:28-13:50 pace. But my long runs were still at 15 min/mile pace. This past Sunday, I was feeling under the weather and felt really slow but somehow ran a 14:17 pace.
Today even though I felt like I was dragging along and felt slow, I ran the same 14:17 pace.

I am improving since my long and slow runs are at 14:17 instead of 15:00 min pace.

I remember when I started in March at around 19min pace.
2013-09-28 6:01 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Running getting better

It's great to keep on reading everyone's stories, even after the "official" end of the group thread. Lovey, it seems you really have been powering along in the past few months, and the gains you've made are inspiring! It just goes to show what consistency can do. Hooray for the slow and steady Turtles!

Rennay, congratulations on the race result and you look like you're having a blast in those photos.

Beth, sounds like you're having more fun with it again now too. It's fantastic to see everyone's enjoying their training, after all, that's why we're all here.

As for me-well, my season is really just starting here. The days are getting longer so we can get out in the mornings and train, the  weather is warming up. I've entered a sprint tri on the 20th of October, and I'm really looking forward to it. I joined the local triathlon club about a month ago, and the extra motivation and push from training with a group of people has been really noticeable. I'm hoping to stretch my fitness out to maybe attempting an oly distance tri by the end of the season, and who knows, maybe a HIM next year... (keep on dreamin'!)

2013-10-01 6:42 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: swim calories burned
For those who wear a hrm during swimming, how many calories do you burn on average for a 39 minute or an hour swim?
How much do you burn per 109 yards?
How much does it differ when it's a easy, moderate or hard swim?
2013-10-01 3:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: swim calories burned
Originally posted by Lovey

For those who wear a hrm during swimming, how many calories do you burn on average for a 39 minute or an hour swim?
How much do you burn per 109 yards?
How much does it differ when it's a easy, moderate or hard swim?

I can only tell you that I tried one time and it did not work well for me. Since I'm a guy I had on no shirt and the monitor kept sliding down my chest. I tightened it up but it still slide down as I pushed off the wall and the water hit it. Your a lady with a top on so it may work for you.
2013-10-02 6:06 PM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I forgot you Aussies are backwards down there and got really confused for a second reading about an October tri. Although I think they're still racing in Miami and Texas...anyway, BIG news! I finally bit the bullet and registered for my first HIM today! Raleigh here I come!

(IRONMAN.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IRONMAN.jpg (168KB - 24 downloads)

2013-10-03 7:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I forgot you Aussies are backwards down there and got really confused for a second reading about an October tri. Although I think they're still racing in Miami and Texas...anyway, BIG news! I finally bit the bullet and registered for my first HIM today! Raleigh here I come!

It's out there now All I can say is the countdown has started, you have 241 days left to train. Now get out there and swim / bike / run your butt of. Seriously though congratulations, now get to work.
2013-10-03 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran

That's great!!! Now you can train like mad and when race day comes enjoy the ride and the fitness your training has given you.
2013-10-03 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Trying new things
After spending three days last week being sick I've been back at it but also taking it easy. Yesterday I tried a new hill course, Court St hill is one of those that just seems to go on forever. While it's not the near vertical climb like Market St is was a challenge. But I'm happy to say that I crushed it!!!!! Kept my speed low and my turnover high and climbed. Now to work on greater speed getting up that hill.

Beth
2013-10-03 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: strength training
For strength training I started body pump (for now).
Its a group workout using barbells, weight plates, and dumbbells. It's an hour and the last 15 minutes is usually core work like crunshes, planks, etc.

Anyone do bodypump?
How do you log it on BT?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45