BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2013-09-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: melanfi

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN
Melissa awesome anniversary present! I would love to get a mountain bike. Although I just got a tri bike this year I think I will probably have to wait another year or two before I can get another bike.

Ken good luck on the 10k. I love 10k's it is one of my favorite running events.

Don glad to hear the blister is doing better!

2013-09-15 3:30 PM
in reply to: EKH

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
ARRRGGGGHHHH!!! Yesterday I went for a 4mi run and when I was done I had to take my daughter to the softball field to catch the bus for a tournament. As I was getting in the car I wrenched my back. I almost cancelled my ride this morning but still ended up going for a 2 hour ride but I stayed out of aero and rode the horns the entire time. I probably should have skipped the ride this morning but I really don't think the ride hurt it any worse than it was. But my back still hurts pretty bad. It is a struggle to bend over. I've been icing, put on a tiger balm patch and then wrapped my back in an ace bandage. I'm scheduled to do a 30min run in the morning but I think I'm going to skip it. Any suggestions on helping my back?
2013-09-15 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
wow... Emile.....
I hate it when that happens.... just an ordinary action can sometimes result in that kind of back pain....
I would take it easy on the run tomorrow morning, no need to aggravate the issue.... maybe just sleep in and use it as a rest day.....I'm sure your body can use it.

alternate heat and ice, take some anti inflammatory and easy gentle stretches.... rest, you know the drill.

2013-09-16 7:37 AM
in reply to: tmoons

User image

Veteran
Oh no!! Sorry to hear about your back, Emile!

I totally agree with Terry on treating that. You're tapering, so I would consider skipping today's run and resting your back.
2013-09-16 3:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Ok, so I'm mostly caught up on all the threads. Just wanted you all to know, I'm still alive and kicking, just a little too busy to keep up with the thread, but I pop in from time to time and try to read a good handful of posts.

Great job on the races, and not so great to read about the new injuries, or nagging pains, or pains just while running a half marathon, etc. :-) and :-(

On the racing circuit my teammate and I won our last Adventure race held on the first weekend of September. So yeah!

I've resigned myself to running more in order to be able to do the Market to Market relay next month without worrying about the need for crutches the next day. I think I ran more than 12 miles last week for the first time in a long time - I even ran 6 miles non-stop. Tallied it up. Turns out I ran 17 miles last week. I'll stay at that mileage for the next several weeks give or take a couple miles.

As a result of doing boot camp, increasing running, and still continuing to bike, I haven't swam for several weeks. I have, however, picked up some cyclocross. My first race will be on my 40th birthday next week. :-)

If you don't know what cyclocross is, just enter it on youtube and watch a video or 2 or 3. :-)

Edited by crissy_jo 2013-09-16 6:59 PM
2013-09-16 6:22 PM

User image

New user
Emile, how is the back? I hope much better. If not, have you ever considered going to a chiropractor that does ART (Active Release Therapy?) I had it done before my Tri back in June and have gone back a few times since. It is super helpful to work out those muscles that get overworked during training or just "wrenched" as you so aptly put. It is similar to a massage in a slight way, but more of the stretching and pressure, rather than massage. I highly recommend it.

I have just been doing basic workouts every morning. Life is busy and I am enjoying getting in regular runs, spin class and strength training. Might sign up for a trail race called Beer and Bagel trail run. However, don't hold me to it. I am not sure I have the date available.

Don awesome job on your Beast of the Bay! That is great!

Melissa, great job on your race! I don't run with a garmin either and sometimes I totally feel like my run is going better than I think and then when I finish I realize I didn't do so well. Oh well. Glad to hear you didn't continue to have quad pain.

Keep up the good work everyone!

2013-09-16 7:03 PM
in reply to: themomma03

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Denise - I am signed up for Beer & Bagel. I have ran it the last 3 years a guy from work and I race each other there. He won the 1st year, but I got him on the last 2. Tough race, but fun with a good post race shin dig. If it works into your schedule & you sign up, maybe I'll see you there.

Emile - I second what Denise says on the ART.
2013-09-16 7:05 PM
in reply to: Landmammal

User image

Lincoln, Nebraska
Originally posted by Landmammal

On Sunday I'm running in a pretty big 10k in Omaha... it usually has about 4,000ish runners and its my first time to do it. I'm "tapering" for it sort of... front loaded this week's miles by moving my long run to today from Sunday. Excited to see what I'll be able to do on somewhat fresh legs because I feel like the training has gone well. Another cool thing is I get to run with the "elite" (they have to use this word loosely when I'm included) wave. Hoping that by trying to keep up with them, I can pull out a tad bit faster time than I would otherwise.

Just read this post. How did the race go? Can't wait to hear all about your running with the elites! How awesome is that?!
2013-09-18 12:42 PM
in reply to: crissy_jo

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Crissy Great job on winning your last adventure race! Cyclocross looks very cool! I wish I had a cyclocross bike I think it would be a lot of fun. I've heard it will really improve your bike handling skills too. Happy early Birthday.

Denise any race called Beer & Bagel trail run has to be good. I think it would be impossible to have a race with the word Beer in it that wasn't an awesome event.

Ken how did the race go? Enquiring minds want to know.

Ken, Melissa, Crissy, Denise thanks for all of the tips re: my back. My back is doing better. I took off Monday and Tuesday and kept a lot of heat on it. I ran an easy 30min this morning and I plan on breaking out the wetsuit and going for a short swim this evening.

Several of you asked about a link to follow me on the race. Here it is. http://ultramaxsports.com/timing/2013/13_Redman/13_rm_resultsindex....

They said it will start working race morning.
2013-09-18 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Went out for a 1000yard ows with my wetsuit this afternoon. Was hoping for a nice easy swim but the weather had other ideas for me. Wind was blowing hard and it was a battle the entire time fighting the huge waves. It was really difficult to sight had to stop and tread water to see of waves several times. I sure hope race morning isn't like this afternoon.
2013-09-18 8:16 PM

User image

The 10k went well.... A little slower time than I was hoping for but it was a really hilly course. I have another one in about two weeks to help me decide a good goal time for Chicago.

A nice thing is that after the four mile mark nobody passed me and I passed 105 people.

A funny thing happened at about mile five..... I was passing a guy and he goes "oh no u don't" and started to literally sprint. I thought he was joking around so I laughed at him. I think he might have thought his sprint was a "tactic" because when I caught up and passed him about a minute later he said "ok u can f@@@@in have it". Not in a light hearted tone either. He surged in the last half mile or so but I made sure I finished we'll ahead of him. He immediately went towards the parking lot after the race. I think I ruined his Sunday morning but he made the event memorable for me!

They ended up not having an elite corral and everyone 50 minute and under was in one group at the front. I was disappointed a little by that and didnt enjoy weaving around folks in the first mile because I misjudged where to line up.

2013-09-19 9:11 AM

User image

Veteran

Yes, beer and bagels sounds perfect to me!

Thanks for the link Emile! I'll be stalking, no wait ... tracking you!

Oh my gosh, Ken, that story cracked me up! Poor guy - but seriously, if anything, he should have thanked you for motivating him to run really hard! That is awesome to be able to pass so many people in the second half of a 10k. Wow, 105!

I'm on for a 5 mile tempo run today. This Saturday is 18.
2013-09-19 6:32 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Ken sounds like you finished strong! Great story about the guy getting upset.

Melissa good luck on your long run this weekend. What marathon are you training for?

I got up this morning and ran 15min and after work did 20min on the trainer. Just trying to keep the legs loose. Tomorrow I plan on heading out around 1pm to head to OKC and check in.
2013-09-19 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Emile, I'm training for NYC marathon on November 3rd. It's starting to feel very real - only 6 weeks out. Good luck this weekend!!

Crissy, that's great that you have a cyclocross race planned on your birthday! Fun! What kind of a bike do you use for that event - more of a road bike or a mountain bike? I bet you have excellent handling skills to be able to do that.
2013-09-19 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Melissa NYC Marathon wow! I must have missed you posting about running NYC. I'm very jealous I would love to run NYC someday. I'm already looking foward to reading your race report.
2013-09-21 8:54 AM

User image

New user
Anyone else tried to track Emile today? I keep getting sent to the same stupid website, and then it takes me to the one I previously was on. Bummer.

2013-09-21 9:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Looks like he had a 45 minute swim and 3.39 minut T1 time. ...The bike split had not been posted yet
2013-09-21 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Go Emile!

I just got on and found him by clicking on results by gender then searching for "Emile". That seemed to work. It looks like they are slowly getting the bike splits up there... maybe it just takes a while.

My 18 miler was pretty good - well, very good, really, but just slow. I ran the first 8 miles with a girl who also does run/walk, but at a slower pace. She didn't have a timer with her, so we stuck together until the 8 mile water stop. From there to about mile 12, I put in a little tempo portion, considerably faster than what I had done before. After that, so the next 6 miles, I ran with another friend who is so fun to talk to. I just now remembered that I did my 18 miler with her last year... must go send her a message on Facebook to remind her of that run. Last year, it was the first time either of us had ever run that far in our lives, so a milestone!

2013-09-21 12:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Emile - 2:55:312 on the bike at 19.1 mph (rocking it!!) and a quick 2:42 in T2.....
2013-09-21 12:55 PM

User image

New user
Yes, was finally able to see where I needed to go to see the live results. Looks like Emile is doing well! Yeah! Amazing bike time!
2013-09-21 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Time was 5:35:xx. At mile 30 I had a bad spill on my bike ended up with good road rash on elbow and hip and a flat tire. I probably lost 10-12 min due to crash when I get home I will look at garmin to see actual time lost. It was a struggle the rest of the day but still PR'd! I will do a full race report with pics later. Right now I'm drinking a huge cold one waiting on food. Thanks guys for all of the support!

2013-09-21 7:05 PM

User image

New user
Emile, Great job, and time and PR with a road crash! I am glad you are ok. Enjoy the cold one and rest a bit tomorrow. Look forward to your race report. Proud of you!
2013-09-22 3:23 AM

User image

Emile... great job! Very happy for you!
2013-09-22 6:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale
Great job Emile........ hard work and dedication pays off..... you are the man...
2013-09-22 7:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Congratulations on an excellent race, despite the crash!! Sorry to hear about that - and certainly disappointing to lose time, but it sounds like you still rocked it. Did your back give you any trouble? I'm looking forward to your race report.

Crissy, I took your advice and watched some youtube videos on cyclocross. Some of the races look fun and challenging, others kind of look a little bit hellish, with all the mud and crashes. I think I need to go watch one in real life.

I am resting today. Yesterday was almost a sick day for the rest of the afternoon and evening after my long run. I wonder if it was nutrition or hydration related. When I got home, I had a Gu Brew recovery smoothie, showered and rested for about 30 min. When I got up, I ate a bagel and tomato, and continued on with my day. As the afternoon went on, my head really started to hurt, and by evening, it was a full-blown headache that I had to take an aleve for. This morning, I feel much better, but I'm still wondering what was up with that massive headache? I was not drinking any water for the rest of the day because I did have about 70 oz. of electrolyte drink during the run. I thought that was plenty, but maybe I just needed more H2O, maybe that was it.

Edited by melanfi 2013-09-22 8:33 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 25