BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-08-31 12:42 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN
Jackie, its good to hear from you . I'm happy you are doing well and congratulations on the new job.

2013-08-31 4:28 PM
in reply to: JBacarella

User image

Master
Originally posted by JBacarella

Mitch, I wish you could make it up for the HIM, too. It is a fun race and great location, I think that Scott is going to race it this year. His Dad lives on the bike course, so it is easy for him to come up and race.

It's on my bucket list. Hopefully next year.
2013-08-31 4:29 PM
in reply to: jackiep

User image

Master
Originally posted by jackiep

I've missed you all.

Quick update:
After marathon in Feb, I have concentrated on speed and strength on bike. Sep 16 I can register for Boston! Then I'll add running back and drop the bike.

Went back to full-time work (thank you Gabe for the vibes) and I love my job. Selling my condo and buying a house, so moving in about 3 weeks. I will be closer to Town Lake and the running groups, which will be great for marathon training.

Jim, congrats on your Oly podium and enjoy your HIM this weekend!
Gabe, you are a machine. Congrats on the Vineman PR!
Joe, I love the finisher picture with your girls. May I use that on my Facebook?
Mitch, stay out of the DOO DOO.

To all the new people that I haven't met, you are amazing. First races, podium finishes, overcoming injuries and obstacles. Congratulations to you.

Jackie - good to hear from you and thanks for reaching out through Strava. I love the ease by which Strava keeps us fitness folks connected.
2013-09-03 8:22 PM
in reply to: trisuppo

User image

Expert
It must be my HIM week. It started with a flat at the end of my ride on Monday. I ordered a new tire on-line then panicked because I thought I ordered the wrong size. I had forgotten to sign up my daughter, because she was not sure if she was going to play volleyball when I signed up. The race web site would not allow sign up for the event, so I feared I missed to cut off. I threw my back out Friday changing the receptacle in my son's room.
All of these issues have been resolved, except I'm still waiting for my tire. But it seems like anything to increase pre-race stress.
2013-09-04 6:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Madrid
hahaha.... it always seems that these type of things only happen to one(self) and not to others....thanks! And good luck in your race!

Edited by Juancho 2013-09-04 6:00 AM
2013-09-04 8:33 AM

User image

Master

It must be my HIM week. It started with a flat at the end of my ride on Monday. I ordered a new tire on-line then panicked because I thought I ordered the wrong size. I had forgotten to sign up my daughter, because she was not sure if she was going to play volleyball when I signed up. The race web site would not allow sign up for the event, so I feared I missed to cut off. I threw my back out Friday changing the receptacle in my son's room.
All of these issues have been resolved, except I'm still waiting for my tire. But it seems like anything to increase pre-race stress.

Jim - you'll do great! All the challenges will be behind you by the time you toe the starting line! Clear sailing from there on out.

2013-09-04 12:18 PM

User image

Expert
So today I decided to swim at lunch, the lake was glass flat and I even saw a mink playing on the break wall. It all seemed perfect. Until 20 minutes into the swim a Cormorant decided to land next to me. There is nothing like looking up and seeing a big black pterodactyl swooping down on you while you are in the water. I screamed like an 8 year old girl in a haunted house, I might have wet myself too (not really sure). Thank God all of my neighbors are gone or they might have called the Coast Guard.
I do see all of this craziness as good luck. Getting the bad out before the race, or purging evil spirits.
2013-09-04 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Jackie, it is great to hear from you again and I'm so glad that everything is going great in your life!  A new job that you love, a new home in an ideal location for training, a BQ, not much else you can ask for right now!

Jim, I'm positive all those quirks you are experiencing mean that you will do great in your HIM, best of luck amigo!

I'm also competing in a HIM this Saturday, the Ironmaya HIM in the Pacific Coast of Guatemala.  The past two years it has been melting hot, so we will see how it goes this year.

Anyone else racing this weekend/month? 

Cheers!

2013-09-04 9:04 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Gabe- Good luck this weekend. Hopefully the weather Gods will be with you.
2013-09-05 9:46 AM

User image

Master

Gabe- Good luck this weekend. Hopefully the weather Gods will be with you.

I'll wish our cool weather to your locale, gabe. High of 68F here today. Broke out the long sleeve tech shirt for my am run. Good luck on your HIM!
2013-09-05 1:54 PM

User image

Expert
No kidding 64 F and a 20 mph wind straight out of the North Today. The forecast for Saturday is 58 and wet in the morning and 81 and sunny midday. Its a triathlete's nightmare forecast.

2013-09-06 8:11 AM

User image

Master
My 11 year old had her best ever run last night. Hoping its a bit of a breakthrough for her on the "endurance running" curve. She loves sprinting and she is fast over short distances. We've told her she can run track but she's too young to pick one sport over another and therefore she needs to run cross country too. Plus, I think the year long consistency in running will help no matter what she does.

So, she's been dealing with lots of side stitches as she began running regularly. Basicaly thinking she needs to learn to breathe better. We started out at 1.5 mile runs and have been moving up from there (2.5 miles earlier in the week). Following a 5K beginner plan. Last night's run was a 2 mile run and for the first time she did the entire run without stopping. Usually she would need to stop due to a side stitch or because her legs were tired. Had a nice 10:04 pace. Gave her a lot of confidence.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/371212577
2013-09-06 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by trisuppo

My 11 year old had her best ever run last night. Hoping its a bit of a breakthrough for her on the "endurance running" curve. She loves sprinting and she is fast over short distances. We've told her she can run track but she's too young to pick one sport over another and therefore she needs to run cross country too. Plus, I think the year long consistency in running will help no matter what she does.

So, she's been dealing with lots of side stitches as she began running regularly. Basicaly thinking she needs to learn to breathe better. We started out at 1.5 mile runs and have been moving up from there (2.5 miles earlier in the week). Following a 5K beginner plan. Last night's run was a 2 mile run and for the first time she did the entire run without stopping. Usually she would need to stop due to a side stitch or because her legs were tired. Had a nice 10:04 pace. Gave her a lot of confidence.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/371212577

Congratulations. Its so much fun when they start having these breakthroughs and really start to love the sport.
2013-09-07 12:00 PM

User image

Master

No kidding 64 F and a 20 mph wind straight out of the North Today. The forecast for Saturday is 58 and wet in the morning and 81 and sunny midday. Its a triathlete's nightmare forecast.

Hope the weather held for you. Looking at radar and as of now not pretty....
2013-09-08 7:27 AM

User image

Expert

It didn't . It began raining during the swim, and the first part of the bike. It made the bike a little slower, because the roads were slick. I couldn't be as aggressive on the hills as I normally would. Overall it was a good race. Scott (GoBlueDDS) ran it this year. It was fun to have him there. I will do the report later today.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-09-08 7:27 AM
2013-09-08 9:05 AM

User image

Master

It didn't . It began raining during the swim, and the first part of the bike. It made the bike a little slower, because the roads were slick. I couldn't be as aggressive on the hills as I normally would. Overall it was a good race. Scott (GoBlueDDS) ran it this year. It was fun to have him there. I will do the report later today.

Sorry the weather didnt cooperate. I feel for you! Can't wait to read your report. Glad that Scott was able to race as well.

Putting it out there for you two. What do you think of signing up for the Black Bear tour on the Au Sable for next year? We could "race" it together?
http://www.blackbearbicycletour.com/

Edited by trisuppo 2013-09-08 10:58 AM

2013-09-08 12:09 PM

User image

Expert

Sorry the weather didnt cooperate. I feel for you! Can't wait to read your report. Glad that Scott was able to race as well.

Putting it out there for you two. What do you think of signing up for the Black Bear tour on the Au Sable for next year? We could "race" it together?

I have wanted to do the Black Bear for years! Every year I seem to make an excuse to miss it. Which is crazy, especially since the finish is 15 miles from my house.
2013-09-08 2:31 PM

User image

Master

I have wanted to do the Black Bear for years! Every year I seem to make an excuse to miss it. Which is crazy, especially since the finish is 15 miles from my house.

I figured as much after looking at the map. Think early registration will end in April 2014.
2013-09-08 4:03 PM

User image

Expert
2013-09-08 10:16 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Congratulations Jim on your HIM race, a good time and great effort, especially considering the conditions your had!

Mitch, congratulations to your and your daughter on her breakthrough run, nothing like a proud dad!

I was able to finish my HIM on Saturday with a new PR of 5:20, but really struggled at the end due to really hot weather.  My swim split was good at 35 min (best swim ever) along with my bike split 2:34 (best bike ever) and then I melted in the run when it got really hot, humid and sunny and ran the 1/2 marathon in 2:07 (probably went to fast on the bike).  Still happy that I was able to improve by 8 minutes my previous PR from the Vineman tri 6 weeks ago.

As a funny reflection during the race, as I was struggling through the run and trying not to walk at the end, I could not help and think that I was having a hard time getting through a half Ironman race and I had a full Ironman (Cozumel) still to go in only 11 weeks...

I will post a race report later.

BTW, I recently did a video summary of my first Ironman experience if anyone is interested in watching http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IENdXJtdd9A

2013-09-09 7:46 AM

User image

Expert
Gabe- Good job this weekend on your HIM. I liked you video. Looking forward to your race report.

Edited by JBacarella 2013-09-09 7:46 AM

2013-09-13 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Guatemala

Originally posted by JBacarella Race report is posted. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Jim, nice report and race, despite the tough weather conditions.  It's nice when we get better at racing with age Wink

Enclosed is also my RR - Even though it was a tough race, I was still able to come in 2nd in my age group (40-49)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=500596#

2013-09-13 4:05 PM
in reply to: sirgab

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Great race Gabe and I enjoyed the report.
2013-09-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
Sunday I will be pacing my wife in the Philly Rock n Roll half marathon. I am going to ham and egg it on really three weeks of run training. Goal is to get my wife in under 2:00 - which should be doable. Looking forward to the race as it very well may be my last for a long while.

Thursday I will see orthopedic surgeon and I am quite scares. The diagnosis is calcaneal (heel) spur with achilles insertion. In other words, there is a bone spur in my heel that rub where the achilles attaches to the heel. The options here are bad and worse. The spur needs to be removed or it will eventually compromise the tendon. How that done is scary and could involve detaching the achilles and chiseling out the spur. If we go that route, the recovery period is likely one year. On top of that, it is my right heel so I won't be able to drive, which creates lots of personal/work issues.

Let's hope for the best.
2013-09-13 8:53 PM
in reply to: JoePetto

User image

Master
Originally posted by JoePetto

Sunday I will be pacing my wife in the Philly Rock n Roll half marathon. I am going to ham and egg it on really three weeks of run training. Goal is to get my wife in under 2:00 - which should be doable. Looking forward to the race as it very well may be my last for a long while.

Thursday I will see orthopedic surgeon and I am quite scares. The diagnosis is calcaneal (heel) spur with achilles insertion. In other words, there is a bone spur in my heel that rub where the achilles attaches to the heel. The options here are bad and worse. The spur needs to be removed or it will eventually compromise the tendon. How that done is scary and could involve detaching the achilles and chiseling out the spur. If we go that route, the recovery period is likely one year. On top of that, it is my right heel so I won't be able to drive, which creates lots of personal/work issues.

Let's hope for the best.

Joe wishing you the best. You will be in my thoughts.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (5th season) - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 21