BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2013-05-17 12:44 AM
in reply to: #4728022

User image

Regular
Albury, Australia
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN

Thanks for the welcome. Freezing my but off here, the snow is about 40 mins from us (and if you know Australia, there are very few places it snows). 

Been doing a little running (working on technique, so I don't break down again) and a bit of time on the wind trainer. 

Hope your all well

2013-05-17 2:11 PM
in reply to: stephsprint

I would love to join this group if possible. I am a beginner in every way. I turned 50 in December and decided it was time to get in shape and enjoy my golden years in top condition. I was an athlete through college and then let life take over instead of me taking control of my life. I am 50 pounds overweight and looking forward to getting in shape. Tri's have always intrigued me so now is the time to get started. I have actually signed up for a sprint tri in October. I am excited and nervous at the same time. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
2013-05-19 1:03 PM
in reply to: golfgirl88

User image

New user

Burlington
Hi,

My name is AJ, and if you still have room in your group, I would love to join. If there is room, I will post my story in a bit
2013-05-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: Seraphinus

User image

Hi All.

Started the couch to Sprint programme today - well got to start somewhere.

Everyone had a good weekend and training well?

2013-05-20 8:07 PM
in reply to: andrew.robbins

User image

New user

Burlington
I hope you have room for one more. I would gladly like to join. Here is my story.

Name: username =Seraphina; first name = AJ

Story: Right now, I am currently in school studying Network Engineering and Security. I am off for the summer months. In the past, before going to college, I was cyclist. I used to do road races and because of this, I have a huge aerobic system (just waiting to be used again?). The reason I only did cycling and not running, is because of the fact I have RSD in my feet. So when I start running now, it is going to be really slow – and running will not be my strongest point. Swimming, I am mildly decent at. Just need time to do it and practice. Back when I was a cyclist, I would training an average of 60kms+ daily and on weekends double the distance. During my time at my first college, I stopped cycling and sadly gained a little too much weight. Mission now, is to absolve it!

Family Status: Currently I live with my boyfriend and our two pythons. Going into this endeavour, I have to support of my brother and my wonderful boyfriend.

Current Training: Hopefully at the end of the summer, I would like to do a sprint or Oly. It all depends on how training goes, and how my feet are doing. I sadly, do not have a training partner - I just train alone - usually at odd hours of the day.

Weight loss: I am 5'4 3/4” (approx. 167cm) in height. All the weight I gained over the past 5 years I would like to eventually lose – which is approximately 50-60lbs. In the process of doing this, I would like to increase my anaerobic system and develop more muscles and tone the ones I have.

Hobbies: math, biology, chess, playing with my pythons, photography, and snowboarding with my brother
2013-05-21 10:26 PM
in reply to: Seraphina

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Absolutely!

welcome!

2013-05-21 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
You'll have to tell me how that works. I think it's been shown to be pretty good for beginners, and those who've laid off for a while.

Like me.
2013-05-21 10:29 PM
in reply to: golfgirl88

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
October is perfect. I just turned 49 and I have another 20lbs to lose.

I've found myself on a contract job in Omaha, with my Mom in the hospital in Minnesota... so I haven't been home to Atlanta (formerly Miami) in 3 weeks. No exercise and bad food.

I need to snap out of it!!

I hope you enjoy this journey, it's a lot of fun... and at our age, it's all UPSIDE!
2013-05-21 10:30 PM
in reply to: alburyscott

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Ah the trainer... it's a great tool.

Pays off!!!
2013-05-21 10:32 PM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
How's it going so far?
2013-05-23 10:01 PM

HEY Suz and Steph!! I was in the 70.3 group, but since I really can't find the time to train for it, I am humbly asking permission to join you all over here.
Name: Gary D.
Occupation: Anything that involves hard labor and low hourly wages
Story: Wife, 2 kids. Was trying for HIM, but the kids' activities have overtaken my life. At least 5 days a week we are at the baseball field until 7PM. So when can I train? At night. Trust me, this doesn't make my wife smile. I've shifted my focus to a few Sprints (1 off road) and maybe an Oly or two. Right now I'm in the middle of buying a house so I can't put any purchases on credit, such as a good bike, which I REALLY need. The bike is my weakest sport because of this. I train on a lousy walmart mtn bike right now.
So what say ye? Can I join y'all?

2013-05-24 5:19 PM

User image

New user

Burlington
Thanks for the welcome ^_^

I am sure everyone has had these. I thought I would ask about it. Last Thursday I got a cold so I took a few days off. Got completely better - well I thought I was... I spent a few days doing stretches - felt great and yesterday I had scheduled (in my special notebook) a running workout (intervals). It consisted of doing 1 minute running/ 3 minutes walking (repeat 8 times). During my initial warmup and following the first interval I felt completely drained and tired which just so happened to ruin my motivation for continuing my scheduled workout. So I walked back home ...incredibly slowly - took the evening off, stretched out muscles,relaxed and went to bed early. Was this the right thing to do, or should I have stuck it out and completed my scheduled workout?

AJ
2013-05-24 9:19 PM
in reply to: baileykiko

User image

New user

Hello all! Hope everyone has a great Memorial weekend. My first sprint tri is mid July, so I'm in the middle of training.

Two things that frustrate me. One, my weight gain (and I have been monitoring what I've been eating) and two, road cycling is challenging! I've been a runner for past 2 years, so the shift is difficult and getting use to my new road bike. I think also with cycling I am building more muscle in my quads, where I didn't build during running. This tri in July is VERY hilly so me and DH (who is a cyclist) have been training on hills. But my speed is slow.

Any suggestions to help me gain speed on the bike? We are starting to practice that too-whoa. Not easy as a Sunday 'bike ride'!!! Also, this 5 pound weight gain is frustrating and hoping its just water retention.
2013-05-25 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
It's frustrating to gain weight when exercising so much, I know! You need to learn how to fuel your workouts, and then eat to recover.... and then not over eat otherwise. So time of day is a big thing and what you are actually eating is important. The duration of your workouts is key too. Give me some examples of when you do your workouts and how long they last.

July is coming right up! Cycling speed like many other things, can be built through intervals, but they are usually a little longer and a little tougher. so if you can do some high revolution (small gear) 90rpms and keep it up for 3-5 minutes, then pedal easy for a couple minutes and repeat... 6 to 10 times...it will help you build speed. If you any hills, practicing going up those while shifting down and down and down will also help. Then coast down and go back up... keep it in the small ring and work those gears! The stepper is good and the elliptical is also good. And strength training. One thing that will get you a lot of bang for your buck is relaxing. NEVER lock your elbows, loosen your jaw and keep a flat back. Knees tight. Did you get a bike fit? When you are on your seat, your heel should just graze the pedal at the bottom (unclipped of course)... if it doesn't your seat is too high, if it hits the pedal and your knee is bent, it's too low.

CHEERS! and I hope I can help a little!
2013-05-25 3:37 PM
in reply to: Seraphina

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
You did the right thing. Your workout should energize you, not fatigue you, especially so soon into it. Some days it just DOESN'T HAPPEN. Rest, try again the next day.
2013-05-25 3:40 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph's Sprint, YES!
Of COURSE! welcome as per usual!

Sprints are fun. Maybe you could rent a bike for your next race and get a PR. The mountain bike training has to have made your legs like STEEL!

2013-05-25 3:44 PM
in reply to: lindahe

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Hey Linda, are you doing strength training? It's a great off-season tool.

What's the next big goal?
2013-05-25 3:50 PM
in reply to: Lee Geraghty

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lee I think I missed your race!

How did it go?

I have a number of male friends who are larger. Giving up the weghts is a good idea. Use your own body weight and concentrate on flexibility. What is your diet like?

When is your next race?

Bike handling skills are key, you may have to slow down around corners anyway, so work on your speed rather than worrying about slowing down for corners. If you do dangerous things on corners you'll probably get flagged for it anyway...not the place to 'make hay'. Functional strength, intervals, good form (excellent full circle spinning) tight knees, flat back, relaxed head and arms... that will enhance your bike leg more than zipping around corners.

2013-05-25 3:52 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Welcome!

We'll try to grant you some wishes!
2013-05-25 3:53 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I assume you ride a trek?

)
2013-05-25 4:29 PM

Thanks Steph.
13+ mile ride on a rail trail this morning. Pouring rain. Low 40's. Brrrrr. Hands could barely rip open GU and then barely work the keys to my truck at the end. Supposed to snow tonight. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow morning.

2013-05-25 9:03 PM

User image

New user

Thank you for all you valuable info!

My workouts usually consist of strength/core work outs 2 days per week in the morning (maybe 20 min). I run 2-3 times per week and those are usually morning too; weekdays are around 3 miles ish and weekend are longer around 5 miles. I swim 1 time a week early evening for about 30 min. And then I get in about 2 bike rides; one short about 45 min and longer on weekends about 90 min.

I try to fuel prior and after with high protein. My issue that I'm seeing is my hunger is starting to increase at night after dinner. And yep-craving the carbs after dinner!!! I think I also need to drink more water too....

And I will work in those bike intervals!!!
2013-05-27 3:12 PM

User image

New user
Portland, OR
Hi Suz & Steph & everyone,

I would like to follow your group again, even though last time around I got too bogged down to make a go of it. My challenge is finding time to train and sticking to my plan - I'm in school and often find myself getting a few hours of sleep a night and then being too exhausted to train. I think my schedule will be clearing up soon. And it had better, because I bit the bullet & signed myself up for an oly in September. I also have a sprint in July so I am a little more motivated than i was back in January.

Thanks for leading this group again!

Julia
2013-05-29 10:00 PM
in reply to: CaptainStripey

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Yay! great to have you!
2013-05-29 10:17 PM
in reply to: skibummer

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
bbbrrrrrrr
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph's Sprint, Oly and First Tri group! OPEN Rss Feed  

of 9