BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-05-15 6:29 PM
in reply to: #4744231

User image

Subject: RE: T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY distance = OPEN

Chris -- I'm hoping the speed gain wasn't some kind of placebo effect of having a new bike, but my HR was the same as usual! Glad you are feeling better and looking forward to reading your race report from this weekend. I enjoyed reading your blog about your April race despite its logistical frustrations -- this weekend will be my first race in years so it will be interesting to see what silly mistakes I make in setting up my transition!

Dave/all -- ??I tried your running technique described earlier while I was out today. Before I do, some history: lately I've been struggling with foot numbness issue running -- later in the week, when I'm relatively fatigued from a long week of training, my feet have been going numb while running. It usually kicks in around mile 3 or so and won't go away unless I completely stop moving altogether (i.e slowing to a walk won't help). I originally thought it might have something to do with extremely high HR as I have never been able to run (even at a light jog) without my HR approaching 90% or more of max*. Another factor I suspected is that although I haven't put a lot of miles on my shoes, they're starting to get older. I've been told while getting fit for running shoes that I over-pronate quite a bit, so perhaps I don't have enough arch support.

ANYWAY...today I was working on incorporating two changes into my form. First -- focusing on faster cadence/shorter stride and HR management. Some articles I've been reading suggested I could take some stress off of my body (particularly my feet) but progressing towards a mid/fore-foot strike. I also read an article saying the majority of power derived from running comes from when the foot is even with and behind the hip. Additionally I focused on an upright posture, particularly with "open" hips. My core is pretty strong from crossfit and I also am very familiar with what "open" hips feel like, so this was an easy change. I am happy to report that I was FINALLY (seriously, for the first time EVER) able to control my HR and keep it in Zone 2. This is a major breakthrough for me because prior to this, my extremely high HR would make long-distance running extremely exhausting, stressful, and not fun at all. I still developed foot numbness, right at mile 3, but after resting for 2-3 minutes and stretching my calves, I was able to stave it off for the rest of the run. This is also an excellent change from my norm as before this, after I got some feeling back in them and tried to continue running they would go numb again almost immediately. So, two major positives of today's training run!

*Calculated using 220-Age. I realize this is a poor man's method of deducing Max HR but it seems close enough for my purposes right now when I compare it to perceived effort and with HR data from training.

2013-05-16 5:35 AM
in reply to: #4728445

User image

New user

Ft. Lauderdale
Thank you both...will check out some sprints that I can register for...maybe 1 in July & another in August.
2013-05-16 6:45 AM

User image

Hi all,
My first time talking about my training on here!
In eight weeks I am doing my Longest cycle ever from London to Brighton which is 60 miles on a night Ride
So it's not very balanced triathlon training that I'm doing right now I'm concentrating on the bike a lot more.
There is something I need a bit more advice about though.
I am four weeks back Into exercising Up from about once a week on average for a couple of years.
I started with a couch to 5K program Then committed to that 60 mile cycle And then sprang into triathlon training every day for half an hour at the least Swim, Up to 2 1/2 hours cycle And running infrequently
I spoke to someone at the pool who said to consider this as starting triathlon training but focusing on the bike at the moment.
So I will look around for a Sprint tri after the race in the middle of July
My weakest is running at the moment Today I will try to run a mile without stopping but very very slowly As a kind of test because I have done a bunch of half marathons a couple of years ago And lots of biking in the last two weeks And a long time ago More seriously
I'm on serious medication which renders me powerless for one week every third week
It makes me weak and lazy and wipes the floor with any good intentions
I just had it but I will still attempt a mile today
I would like to keep up my streak of a half hour a day since May 6th, all of 10 days ago!!
I need to take this seriously without beating myself up if I can't
2013-05-16 9:12 AM
in reply to: #4744816

User image

Veteran
jenks

tacetman,   great job on the run.   I would check your running shoes that might be the issue,  and an easy thing to fix.    

clouddog, that sould like some very positive steps forward in training.   Most people do focus on the bike portion of training it is most peoples weakness and takes the longest in a race, so you can gain time from focusing here.     Keep up the good work.  

2013-05-16 5:19 PM

User image

Hi
Tried running a mile after someone asked me how far I could run straight off if I ran slowly
Ran a pretty easy slow mile
I think this is definitely me further forward than 3 short half hours 3 x a week for 9 weeks to run 30mins of 5k
I did a lot of slow running a while ago but really want to play with increased speed this time around

I tried chest up and hips 'open' which went so well
Really making that a bit of a mantra

Thanks for your feedback
K.
2013-05-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
I completed my first Olympic distance race Saturday and now have a full race report (with pictures) posted to my blog link below.
Please check it out, but here is the short summary.

4th out of 18 in Men's 40-44 Division.

Swim was 3/18
Bike was 6/18
Run was 4/18.

Not quite on the podium but I am happy with the progress and improvements I'm making.
Had a blast. Have another ocean swim event (sprint) in 3 weeks.

If you go to the blog link you may have to hit "home" to get to the actual blog.Not sure if this has something to do with the changes to this site. All my other links to this blog are working fine so it must have something to do with the changes here. Anyway it still takes you to the blogger, then hit the home banner and you should be there.Thanks.

Edited by Dominion 2013-05-19 11:00 AM

2013-05-20 8:03 AM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
jenks
that is great. cant wait to see your next race now.
2013-05-20 1:20 PM

User image

Congrats Dominion!!!!

couldn't get that link to work but amazing !! it's a big aim of mine next year

I have entered for my first Sprint yesterday!

it's not until October 13th and it's in the pool

I have a 60 mile bike ride in July though

What did a heavy or light or both weeks for you look like in your training??
2013-05-20 6:23 PM
in reply to: handyhammer

User image

Chris -- awesome job!! Looks like you overcame your gremlins from the first race and I think that is a damn fine result!

Cloud -- Congrats on signing up for your race! Excited to hear how it goes for you.

I will post a link to my full race report when I get home (work computer can't handle the javascript of parts of the new BT site and race report is one of them). The short and sweet version:

Morgan Hill "Sprint" Triathlon -- actually somewhere between an Oly and a Sprint. 3/4mi swim, 16mi bike, 5mi run.

I was a little apprehensive about it as I am NOT an excellent runner. My goal, based on some ROUGH math on how fast I expected to perform, was to beat 2:30:00.

Results: 2:18:36! (14th out of 18 in my age group).
Swim (3/4mi): 27:53 (15th of AG)
T1: 3:06 (14th of AG although better than an "Elite" athlete)
Bike (16mi): 58:42 (13th)
T2: 1:41
Run: 47:14 (14th)

Happy with my results and my performance. Only issues were adrenaline/jitters/high HR from cold OWS, GSC10 Speed/Cadence sensor issues and nutrition (spit up about half of a gel on the run...coffee flavor...awful).

2013-05-21 5:50 AM

User image

New user

Ft. Lauderdale
Another question...I started with the beginner's triathlon 20 week training program from this site...but as I have my first half marathon 1 month after the Tri...can I simply modify the runs to longer distances?
2013-05-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: GCfit

New user

Hi Dave, I would like to join!

NAME: HK

STORY: I have a friend who pushed me to do a sprint triathlon last summer. I had my mountain bike and my best bermuda shorts... a bit intimidating but tons of fun. Now I'm ready for more. I haven't done any tri-specific training, just finished P90X, I run a bit. But whole family is wanting to get into the sport which is a big motivator for me to have this healthy environment for us.

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 4 kids. Our 14 year old just finished her first 5K... we've been running together - tons of fun.

PREVIOUS RACES: Super sprint triathlon in summer '13.

UPCOMING RACES: Sprint triathlon in Ste-Agathe, QC in August. Looking to complete feeling like I know what's going on.

CURRENT TRAINING: I run 3 times a week and also weigh train 3 times a week. Also found TriNewbies 'begginer 11 Week to sprint level' , haven't started yet. I changed my work/family schedule around so that I can start the program on June 1st.

WEIGHT LOSS: no weight loss goal.

WHY I'M A GOOD MENTEE: I like to learn.

2013-05-21 1:04 PM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

My race report is up and available here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

I had an awesome time!!
2013-05-21 3:47 PM

User image

New user

Virginia USA
Congrats Dominion on the race.

2013-05-21 7:06 PM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Thanks to everyone for the support and well wishes on my recent race.

Tacetman, Congrats to you on crushing your goal of 2:30.

Was the coffee flavored gel something you had tried before? Remember, nothing new on race day!
For my race I took 1 gel shortly after starting the bike and then another right before I got off. This way that 2nd was kicking in as I started my 10k and I didn't have to try to get it down while actually running.

Keep up the good work all !!!
2013-05-21 10:27 PM
in reply to: HK08

User image

Veteran
jenks
HK you are in,
Guys I will get back to questions tomorrow. I have been working crazy hours with the storms in OKC, so I have to sleep a bit. Great job on your races, and be safe.
2013-05-23 9:56 AM
in reply to: Ridarling

User image

Veteran
jenks
Ridarling: you can modify runs but you have to start watching for injury. if things hurt back off. Also you will get a lot out of you cardio from the biking and running so you do not need all the miles that a straight marathon program will tell you to run.
my last word of advice is pick an A and B race. focus hard on one and get the other one done. it will reduce your stress and you will do great in both.

2013-05-23 10:00 AM
in reply to: HK08

User image

Veteran
jenks
HK,
sounds like you are a new addict too. First off how are you in the pool? do you have any swimming background? That is the hardest thing to get over once you are comfortable there the rest is easy.
I love family training. I take my daughter on my tempo runs 4 to 5 miles and have her pace me on her bike. she is 6 and loves yelling at me to run faster and keep up. use your kids where you can.
2013-05-23 11:08 AM

New user

Thanks again for allowing me in the group. I already feel more athletic just being in this forum.

Good tip for the family training! I'll try this Friday with my 8 year old daughter.

Swimming was the only part where I asked myself why I was doing this last summer... I have no swimming background and hadn't trained at all but do enjoy water. We live by a lake and have a pool so it will be very convenient to train as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

This weekend we are going to participate in the Spartan race, should be fun for everyone in the family.
2013-05-23 10:29 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
jenks
Ok quick check in. where do you guys stand in each sport.

Swimming, comfortable, or uncomfortable, can swim a 400 nonstop or not. Scared to death

biking. using clippless pedals, can ride or an hour easily, can ride but I am a nervous wreck,

running, this is fun, I love it, or this completely sucks.

rate yourself above just gives a few options. Lets see what we need to work on.

Have a great week.

Edited by handyhammer 2013-05-23 10:30 PM
2013-05-24 7:01 AM

User image

Congratulations Dominion, Awesome job! Had my first official OWS last night, went over 2 min faster than I ever have in the pool! No I didn't draft any either. I was nervous, I tried my wetsuit out last Saturday & I just didn't do well, I wasn't going straight, I felt like I was burning a lot more energy etc. Ok now I'm excited, can't wait for Kansas!!! Just over 2 weeks left, Dave you were right, up until this week I was questioning whether I could do it, my training was lighter this week than I wanted but my body is starting to feel better. THANK YOU!!! Tim
2013-05-24 7:16 AM
in reply to: BigAirT

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Hey Tim
Thanks and good to see you back in the group.
Good job on the OWS. I am finding Open Water to be easier and more enjoyable than pool swimming too!

2013-05-24 1:36 PM

User image

My measurements ? Swim 400 meters with a few stops Bike 27.5 miles in 4h with stops for black coffee snack breaks etc Run 1.2 miles at best all in one go or i hope a 5 k run walk run in 40 mins or so (good idea to try that timed the day after tomorrow) Running Is my most solid background with 5 yrs and half marathons in quick succession Swimming - only done 2.5k breaststroke over 10 yrs ago built up to and maintained and tapered off -got bored - took a very long time (3 month total) Bike also over 10 years ago climax of 40 very hilly miles 2 days in a row Those are my most accomplished endurances but have done bits and pieces also
2013-05-24 3:50 PM

User image

Montgomery, Alabama
Swimming -
Swimming is certainly my biggest concern. I can swim/float to survive, but am not a swimmer. I just started looking at the Total Immersion swimming and got a video. I have a pool at home and just started practicing. The pool is basically 10m long so it is hard to swim laps, but is better than nothing. My biggest obstacle is proper breathing which causes me to quickly get out of breath.

Bike -
For a sprint or oly I am not too concerned with being able to do the miles, but my pace is not going to get me on the podium. At this point - for my first tri - I am focusing on finishing, learning, and simply getting more comfortable. I have a bike that I have had for a couple of years that I ordered online from Bikes Direct. It is nothing special and I am still using the cages on the pedals, but it will work for now. I am about to purchase shoes and pedals and start getting comfortable. My longest ride at one time is about 30 miles.

Running -
My run is back up to 5-6 miles at a slow pace. I have had a knee problem in the past that caused me to back off on the running. I have been working on changing my form to mid-foot with slow progression which is helping, but my pace is very slow. My goal is to run a 1/2 marathon in October and a marathon in November. I figure if I train for the marathon and miss this November goal, I should easily be ready for the 1/2 in October.

2013-05-25 8:41 AM
in reply to: #4755941

User image

Is it stupid to flag up that I'd like to do an Ironman in about 5 years?? ..... With running all I could think about was a marathon and I iquickly burned out on too many halfs in a row, close together ...,with not enough rest ..; Fully a problem I don't want to repeat.... Although I'm already heading for it.... Any. Words appreciated !
2013-05-25 10:58 PM
in reply to: Clouddog

User image

Veteran
jenks
cloud,

it is good to set the ironman goal at 5 years. you need to really look at triathlon as a slow progression and enjoy the time you do it not make it a checklist goal. Set your short term goals, and also limit your races. you will approach each differently and I like my training as much as racing. On of my goals was to be able to help others in the sport. That is why I am here and this motivates me to continue with my goals.

Also remember learn to embrace the SUCK this was an article in triathlete mag recently and I got a huge dose of it last night. injuries will happen things will go wrong. we have to learn to adapt and move forward. or embrace the suck and find a way to move on again. this challenge is a great element in life and triathlon.

last night I was on my comute home and flatted twice. still 10 miles from home started a hike a bike at 1030 at night. walked alittle over 2 miles and had a friend get out of bed and come get me. but I was mad at first then realized this sucks and I have to figure this out.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  

of 11