BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2013-07-02 5:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY distance = OPEN
Originally posted by handyhammer

well how is training going?

for those that have been working on your swimming are you feeling more comfortable in the water?

call this a welfare check and let me know how you are doing.

Very good. Sorry Ive been away. Ive recently picked up a coworkers road bike and have done two rides. Nothing serious, just getting a feel for the bike. In swimming Ive been becoming wayyyy more comfortable and have swam OW once here locally. Youre breathing drill was very hard but I think it helps me a ton. Great conditioning. Will be checking in more often. Races this year are the sprint tri in September, half marathon in november, half marathon in december, and a full in January.... Id like to throw some smaller foot races in there and look for another sprint?

Side note: I havent logged anything for about 3 weeks on BT. I need to stop slacking!

Cheers,

Jeff

Edited by Tbjeff 2013-07-02 5:22 PM

2013-07-03 6:56 AM
in reply to: Tbjeff

User image

Off topic:

Anyone ever wear only compression shorts for a half or full? I guess something similar to tri shorts versus a pair of compression under a pair of running shorts?
2013-07-04 9:39 AM
in reply to: Tbjeff

User image

Veteran
jenks
tbjeff, glad you are still stalking us to see what is going on. hope you get back on the training grove.

I have worn compression socks, and lower legs. I think the help on the distance stuff, over an hour and a half at high intensity. or they do help with recovery after a hard day. I have not tried the compression shorts.
2013-07-04 9:54 AM
in reply to: handyhammer

User image

Sorry for the lack of communication out of me...some work issues have my life in a complete turmoil. It's settled down enough for me to actually get out of town for the 4th to race (first Oly). Unfortunately due to being at work 12 hours a day, researching things at home and generally being too depressed and tired to work out, the last time I did any training was on Saturday. My race is this coming Saturday and I'm worried what the complete lack of taper will do in terms of my performance. Wasn't looking to podium but was looking to at least finish safely without having to go curl up in the fetal position for the rest of the day. Any tips on how I can mitigate my taperlessness?
2013-07-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

Veteran
jenks
take an easy jog today just to engage muscles. your warm up will be very important. get in a good swim to get everything ready to go.
2013-07-06 2:25 PM

User image

New user

Ft. Lauderdale
Beau - how did the race go?
Anyone else race this weekend?

Oh and Dave...I HAVE been working on my tri sports!!!

Edited by Ridarling 2013-07-06 2:27 PM

2013-07-07 8:21 PM
in reply to: #4728445

User image

Veteran
jenks
Subject: RE: T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed
Taceman. How did the race go.

I will be racing next weekend. Hopings not to get sick. My work partner went down today and we are a little to close quarters.

How is everyone doing?

2013-07-08 9:26 AM

User image

New user

Virginia USA
Sorry I have been offline for a while and haven't been following the forum.

I took a week of vacation and ended up hurting the back of my foot where the heel and Achilles come together. I haven't been to a doctor yet, but from what I have read on line it looks like rest and ice are all that they will tell me anyways. Could be Achilles tendonitis or bursitis. The good news...if there is any, was that I was running right before it happened, so I was getting my workout in. I think running in the sand on the beach was what set it off, but I did do a few open water swims, though I admit they were with the current and the side stroke was involved.

Since then I have taken a week off, and just yesterday went for an indoor ride of 8 miles. I didn't want to be 4 miles away and end up in too much pain to walk back, still have some pain and discomfort when I first wake up and the foot hasn't been moving/stretching.

June totals:

Swim: 1h 52m - 2076.38 Yd
Bike: 5h 07m 44s - 72.1 Mi
Run: 3h 07m 37s - 18.37 Mi

2013-07-08 6:25 PM
in reply to: #4797849

User image

Veteran
jenks
Mheard glad you are back in the game with us. Take care of the foot injury. And rebuild slowly
2013-07-08 6:58 PM

User image

Hey guys -- sorry for the delay in my race report. It was a 13-hour drive home from the race yesterday and I was pretty tired!!

Race was awesome. I've been feeling pretty down as the result of some extremely upsetting news at work, so I wasn't sure how I would perform or if I could even drag myself out of bed at 5am to make it to the race.

Luckily, getting some distance from work/home/everything made me feel way better. The weather in Oregon was beautiful!

This was my first Oly and due to the pervasive work issues my taper was essentially one entire week of no exercise. I had enough time after getting set up that I was able to swim 100-200m as a warm up which both helped my swim confidence and HR as well as help my muscles loosen up.

Full write-up here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Splits:
Swim - 34:44
T1 - 3:55
Bike - 1:32:40
T2 - 1:49
Run - 1:05:56
TOTAL: 3:19:05 (my goal was 3:30!!)

Good enough for 119/152 athletes but, more importantly, 4th in my age group (out of 4, haha!) I had a great time and it helped my mood tremendously.

JUNE MILEAGES:
Swim - 4h34m04s / 9200m
Bike - 10h45m48s / 182.75mi
Run - 5h58m59s / 34.25mi

Edited by tacetman 2013-07-08 7:50 PM
2013-07-09 2:48 PM
in reply to: tacetman

User image

I know I'm not in the group but I read this post about over pronating and wanted to offer my support. I overpronate and have orthotics for flat feet. Got checked out by podiatrist before started training and he recommended the Brooks Beast shoe. Best I've ever worn and no foot pain after runs. Built for max control and is very hellpful. Hope that helps.

Also, I warm up a lot and use sports cream and a heating pad and massage to loosen my calves before running. Lots of extra stretching too, and I've been pretty pain free. Hope those suggestions help.

Gary

2013-07-11 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Tulsa, OK
I've been offline, but still training for August 18 Sprint.
July numbers are:
Swim: 4h 21m 03s - 8750 Yd
Bike: 7h 39m 37s - 102.24 Mi
Run: 4h 06m 51s - 22.45 Mi
Swam 2000 last night - 4x100; 4x150; 4x200, 4x50 - Felt good. My form is getting better. Swam 1750 on Monday.
2013-07-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: gr8hope

User image

Veteran
jenks
hey guys just a general note. watch the heat, this stems from the number of people I have picked up this week due to heat related issues. drink water and lots of it.

good luck if anyone else is racing.
2013-07-15 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
So work has really gotten in the way of this week's training. The worst part is this is my last full week before next week's taper for a race on the 27th.

An all-nighter structure fire on Saturday night meant nothing but sleep and recovery for Sunday. Sunday was originally scheduled as a day off anyway but then I moved a few things around to free up Monday to take the kids to the water park. So no workouts Sunday, AM Monday ride got nixed as still tired and low energy..rest of Monday at the park. Then back to work for 24 on Tuesday and now Thursday they have scheduled a training class on FMLA (yeah...how exciting.)
So to summarize, Sunday training shot, Monday shot, and most of Thursday now tied up.
2013-07-16 12:23 AM

User image

Another appology post!!

I've not been on here - just would like to get back - look over what i have missed

I've just done a 60 mile night bike ride with my sister

it was the best thing we've ever done together

I loved it - it took us about 6.5 hrs inc breaks

i now have my first tri coming up at the end of september

I loved the ride so much!! we'd hired hybrid bikes after training on full on mountain bikes

The Difference!!!!!!!!!!

Hope everyone is well

I'll read back over bit

Thanks everyone

PS
Do i now maintain a 45 mile bike training with hills long bike?

I really think a bike focused train was essential for the ride but the running and swimming certainly suffered during the last few weeks

I need to know if it's the norm, after a bike focused training few weeks to maintain the cycling i have and build on the other 2 disciplines from there?

It would also make sense to drop the bike to say 30 mile long ride and do a swimming focused train (my massively weakest sport) for a few months?

I will be doing the sprint tri training schedule - but if i just maintain my biking - the maintenance would make my training bike focused for a very very long time

It helped to hear 'bike focused tri training' and i think once you have done something it does come back easier

I could (?) drop the cycle right back for a while - maybe stick a long ride in for a 2 weekly longish ride say 40?

I don't know i need advice

Half ironman is my lifetime aim

Edited by Clouddog 2013-07-16 12:35 AM
2013-07-17 9:15 AM
in reply to: Clouddog

User image

Veteran
jenks
clouddog,

your training can evolve. as you get stronger you can focus on different areas. If you are comfortable with the bike, then reduce it a little and put that time in the pool. I would maintain your 30 mile ride and every 2nd or 3 week throw in a 40 miler to see how you handle it. if it starts getting really hard add in a few.

stay focused on your race you are going to not the life goal. when you decide you are ready for a half then focus training to that race.

2013-07-18 5:59 PM

User image

I can see the sense in maintaining 30 once a week and a 40 every other or something along those lines
30 is a barrier in a way (while training for last w/end's 60) between easy and kind of requiring a bit extra
All this will be so easy when i get a hybrid
We hired them for the race and Wow people were not wrong about feeling like a rocket
I felt i could go on for another 40+

It is SO hard not to think about a life goal - i waste a lot of positive energy on this one and have come to hate the marathon distance not having achieved it in 5 years of religious running and several not good enough half marathons.

I am learning to train smarter

can you tell me ? do i need a 12 hour training week for a HIM?

I don't know how to take care of my recent weigh in - to over the borderline to Obesity now either

But i have signed up for a sprint and have a perfect 13 weeks to prepare.

i don't want to pay for a schedule to be drawn for me, but its been 2-3 weeks since I ran or swam
i had 5k down with acceptable walk breaks and 600-700m freestyle with breathers

i was new to crawl which is now my preferred stroke as i found out in pool in spa on holiday

as those 2 were tenuous i think half or even 40% of that are ok for first week back

Thanks

Kate
2013-07-19 6:57 AM
in reply to: Clouddog

User image

New user

Virginia USA
My visit to the doctor for my heel/foot pain finally happened, and his initial diagnosis is bursitis. "Rest it and come see me in two weeks". He did indicate that I can continue to bike and swim if it isn't causing me pain. He took x-rays just to make sure nothing was broken, but decided there was no rush to develop them, so I don't know for sure, but I am fairly confident nothing is broken.

The bad news is that I will have 2 more weeks of no running, and that means my scheduled race will have to be missed.

The good news is that it is forcing me to focus on my swimming, and while it isn't great, it has gotten significantly better over the last 3 weeks.
2013-07-20 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4728445

User image

Veteran
jenks
Kate.

Work on keeping some consistency. That will benefit you more for your race. 13 weeks is more than enough time for a sprint.
Even if you have to do a short ride it will help
2013-07-20 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4809565

User image

Veteran
jenks
Mheard.

I have a teammate that dealt with bursitis last year. A big key is listening to your body. If it hurts back off and let it heal.
2013-07-22 9:34 AM

User image

New user

Ft. Lauderdale
Hi...i've been MIA...on vacation. Did great with running but didn't have a good bike...basically the equivalent of a beach cruiser to use in the Texas Hill Country...it was brutal so only did 1 ride. Swimming was pretty funny too...small vacation rental pool...i did more turns than actual swimming. LOL

Anyway...am rested up and getting back on the training plan. Overslept this am so missed my swim, but will get in a ride tonight.

Question...how can i work on speed on the bike when all i have is a hybrid??? I'm working on a few options to borrow a bike for the race (and a few trial runs prior to the race) but my bike times on this hybrid are not good...barely averaging 16 mph.

~Rhonda

2013-07-23 12:37 PM
in reply to: Ridarling

User image

Regular
Tulsa, OK
Good job Rhonda. I have a great road bike and this old man still averages less than 17 mph. Splurge on sleeker wheels and you'll be a streak. One way to improve speed is to do cadence intervals. I try to maintain 90 rpm, but do intervals of 100, 110 & 120.
2013-07-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: Ridarling

User image

Veteran
jenks
bike speed:

to build power translated "speed" you have to work above your lactic threshold.

lactic threshold is the power or speed you can maintain for approximatly 25 miles.

two types of workouts help build on this to increase speed.

workout 1:

do a 7 to 10 minute warmup ride. then you will have to push above your comfort level for 30 to 45 minutes. This is a very uncomfortable ride and feel miserable while doing it but will begin to increase the effort level of your power output. do a good cool down and recovery. Make this the only workout for the day.

workout 2: this one also hurts.

to increase your lactic threshold you have to produce lactic acid in the muscles. this is the feeling that hurts for two days after a workout.
you body has to adapt to dealing with lactic acid in your legs and processing it out. to achieve this you have to produce large amounts during a workout then force your body to continue working to process this out.

on a 25 mile ride or longer. you need to do sprints. I mean the sprints that make you feel like puking. on your ride get a good 10 minute warmup, then slow your speed down to a minimum to about falling over, right before you fall over take off on a 300 to 500 yrd sprint. you should be well over any speed you can maintain. sprint should last about 20 to 40 seconds. ride an easy pace for about 3 minutes and sprint out again. by the third or fourth sprint you legs will hurt. you need to do at least 10 t0 12 sprints to build the acids up. make sure the last 10 minutes of your ride is an easy pace. also do not do another workout when building this way. I like to make a rest day right after this because you will hurt the next day.

Rhonda I hope that helps. let me know if you give it a try. you will see an increase if this is done consecutive weeks for three to 4 weeks.
2013-07-25 7:45 AM

User image

New user

Virginia USA
Great question Rhonda, and great input and training suggestions. I am going to try this workout tonight (or tomorrow) since work has kept me from working out the last 2 days.
2013-07-27 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Raced today at the Georgia Triathlon Series event in Lagrange, GA.
Sprint - 300m Swim, 10M Bike, 5k Run.

12th overall, but still couldn't crack the AG Podium. The 40+ crowd is tough!!!
Another 4th place for me.
Did have #1 ranked swim and #3 run out of 8 in the AG.

Got to keep working and take the positives from it. Getting tired of just missing the awards, but I know I am getting better and better.

One guy I have raced before on a similar course and distance and beat me by 11 minutes only beat me by 3 today. Maybe he had a bad day...who knows, but I'll take it as progress and that what I am doing is paying off. Just have to get over that hump and get on the podium.

I'll have a full race report up on the blog by Monday afternoon for those who may need some reading material.

Edited by Dominion 2013-07-27 7:09 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » T3 beginners welcome sprint and OLY = Closed Rss Feed  

of 11