General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No Idea What I am doing. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-07 11:53 AM

Subject: No Idea What I am doing.

Hey,

So I'm just starting to get into triathlon training. I was a competative swimmmer for 7 years and was always pretty good at are 1/4/2 Mile triathlons, and so I wanted to transition over. Even when I was swimming I really never new what to eat and how much. Anyone have any advice or tips on proper nutrition?

Thanks

2013-05-08 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4731318

User image

Expert
Brookings South Dakota
Subject: RE: No Idea What I am doing.
This is going to be very general, but here goes.

I would argue there are 5 different aspects of nutrition when it comes to training.

1) Daily Food
The best advice here is to simply focus on "eating real food, not too much, mostly plants". I generally avoid items with added sugar and ones that are overly processed. There are plenty of different eating philosophies out there, but they all have in common a focus on eating whole food items.

2) Pre training
Prior to most training that will last under an hour, no pre workout fuel is needed. Even after an overnight fast, I'm fine w/o eating before an AM workout. The most important thing here is something light, and do not eat too much. Great examples are light items, such as fruit or grain.

3) During training.
Again, not needed for most people during most training runs. You also need to experiment and find what works best for your body. I use straight maltodextrin in water for runs over an hour. I've ran 52 miles off of nothing but dried cherries, gummy worms, and green tea. As with the pre workout nutrition, it's best to get away with as few calories as possible, to begin with.

4) Post workout
The goal here is a) replenish glycogen and b) recover. Glycogen is not a big deal unless you are training twice a day and/or with a huge amount of volume. Otherwise, as long as you eat adaquate calories, your glycogen will be replenished. Recovery is different, however. You can get incredibly technical, but it basically comes down to eating something small immediately after a workout (banana, apple, choc milk, energy bar, etc) and a larger meal within 1-2 hours.

5) Amount of calories.
This comes down to your goals. It's difficult to lose weight and increase volume/intensity at the same time. You must eat more to run more and to run harder. It's as simple as that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » No Idea What I am doing. Rss Feed