General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-01 1:56 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: Hip pain?

Anyone else have problems with hip pain?

Biking/swimming are not a problem, but running causes a pain right behind/below the hip joint that sometimes radiates down my thigh to my knee.

I am getting chiro and massage treatment, but the problem has been persistant.  My leg felt like it was going to fall off after my race last sunday.

I am busy self diagnosing myself (somteimes dangerous).

So far I am convinced that it is either:

Bursitis, bone spur, priformis muscle pull, sciatic nerve, arthritis, different length leg issue, avulsion fracture, hypochondria, any/all of the above...

I am going for acupuncture tomorrow.  I am 2.5 months into this issue and am willing to try alternate approaches....

Any thoughts???

Dan

2004-07-01 2:27 PM
in reply to: #34853

User image

Elite
Reno
Subject: RE: Hip pain?
HI there,
My vote is for bursitis!
I had similar pain on just one side for many months after a night of salsa dancing. I was in "couch shape" and I thought I just would get in better shape and stretch alot and it would go away (it is why I signed up for a triathlon). It did not go away on its own. It wound up being an SI joint disfunction (the joint between your hips and spine) that had pinched a nerve, and training on it lead to trochanteric bursitis (I felt so old to have to say I had bursitis!!!).

Anyway, a visit to the doc got me a cortisone injection (ouch!) and most importantly, directive to go to Physical Therapy. At Physical therapy they do some manipulation to get me better aligned and then have me do a series of exercises to strenghthen my core while I am aligned. It was so much better after just 2 visits!

I am still having pain while running, but at least I CAN run some....

This may not be what you have, but I am a firm believer in Physical Therapy!

good luck
2004-07-01 2:34 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I would see an sports-med ortho, hip pain can be a serious problem if it continues. Good Luck
2004-07-01 5:18 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
Take a look at the book Running Injury Free. It can give you a basic diagnosis and tell what treatments might be effective. If I can get off my a$$ tonight I will go out to my truck and take a look at it for you.

Mike
2004-07-01 6:15 PM

User image

Regular
I agree with JayC go see a Doctor about it. There is no use in diagnosing your self b/c there are tons of things it could be. It could be as minor as your are not streching your IT BAND and Hip Flexors enough off the bike or runs.
I had injured my priformus (spelling) a few years back while training for a Marathon (that i never ran b/c I had to stop running for 4 months of PT work). I got some really neat streches that I do after every work out. I'll try to find them online and post.
Good luck! But really go see a doctore
2004-07-01 10:27 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

dont fall into the self diagnosis mindset that i tried to do last year...it layed me out of commision for at least a half a year.  thats a recipe for depression after all your hard earned work.  see a doc or pt.  even if there is a real problem, u will feel so much relief when they say u will be up and going in no time - or at least a fraction of the time u wasted with self diagnosis. 

incidentally, i HAVE had the hip problem twice this summer...it leaves the 'ball joint' area sore for several days...i havent pinpointed the whys but it could have something to do with my long runs.  stretching seems to make it feel better...also a few days off.

sorry, prolly not the response u wanted but if its to the point that legs are gonna be falling go...go, go, go to the doc - nix alternate approaches - its been almost 3 months.

good luck!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hip pain? Rss Feed