General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 Hour Training Advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-08 2:35 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: 12 Hour Training Advice

My first ultra is in about three months and I'm seeking training advice to best prepare for this.  It's a 12 hour event that is on a 2.5 mile trail loop which is relatively flat.  It is a small, very low key event and my goal is not to win but enjoy the experience.

I've done 9 marathons, 2 IM's, and 4 HIM's so I quite familiar with "normal" endurance stuff but this is a whole new world to me.  I will still swim three days a week and ride 3-4 but am unsure how to structure my running workouts.  Currently about 4 days a week and about 25 miles.  Is it as simple as just building a weekly long run?  Starting with a long run of 15, how rapidly should it increase and to what max?  Should I be thinking about more run/walk, pacing, etc.?  Do you practice the strategy now or do you just train hard and back off the pace for the race?  Thanks for your advice. 

2013-05-12 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4733617

User image

Maryland
Subject: RE: 12 Hour Training Advice
The race you've picked is a tricky one, because the course is a relatively short 2.5 miles. That has both benefits and challenges. The most important thing in a timed event is to keep on moving, always, and often. It is really easy to pause, stop, take a break, then maybe do one more. That sort of approach is very casual and you'll have lots of fun. In fact, you'll certainly cover the more than 26.2 miles which technically qualifies as an ultra marathon. At a minimum mileage wise, the marathon follow-on is 50K, at least. This is followed by a 50 mile event.

Since the loop for the course is so short you have to decide are you going to run toward a specific distance, or are you going to run for a particular amount of time. If the course were a 7 or longer loop, you would be faced with quite the same question. Because distance goals would be a bigger part of the equation.

Given the amount of multi-sport work that you are doing and the timeline that you are dealing with, I suspect your aerobic capacity will be greater than the capacity for your feet to absorb 12 solid hours of pounding. It sounds like you should make this event one that fits into your other endurance regimen.

Last year I was coming off of an injury and I had a 12 hour race on my calendar. I knew that I didn't have the miles to be able to run for a 12 solid hours. I knew that I wanted to be on my feet at least 8 hours. With that as a goal, I ended up covering a little more than 50K for the course. Could I have run for another hour? Sure. Two? Probably, but I would have had some blisters by then point on my under trained feet and I was still in recovery mode with a longer race still in the season. I didn't want to blow-up on a non-A race. I turned my chip in to the timer after 8 hours, and although he encouraged me to go run another 5.5 mile loop, the fact was, I and covered my minimum goal distance and I had completed a legitimate ultra distance.

Given that you have only 3 months to train and you want to do other things besides, I suspect you won't be on your feet running for the full 12 hours. But, that is the beauty of timed races. There is no pressure so you can be a bit more relaxed. That said, you can also find yourself taking excessive breaks. Only you can set your own distance or time limit. The course is open for 12 hours, but that doesn't mean you'll be on your feet, or even on the clock the entire time.

You haven't provided enough detail to estimate what you might be able to cover in 12 hours. Practice some power walking, but the role of power walking in your race plan really depends on your goal. That said, you will have an excellent time. The timed distances are a real blast. But you do have to keep yourself honest beyond a 50K distance. Perhaps with some additional goal details a more specific recommendation can be made.
2013-05-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4733617

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Subject: RE: 12 Hour Training Advice

You are exactly right that my aerobic capacity far surpasses my ability to absorb 12 hours of pounding.  I believe that the key to my day is to manage that through a strategy of rest, walking, and pacing.

My overall goal was to cover 20 laps or 50 miles but that might be overly optimistic.  My normal marathon pace is about a 10 minute mile and this would be a 12 minute mile average.  One thing I learned between my first and second IM was to stay comfortable early in the race and stay comfortable as far into the event as possible.  With that in mind I planned to stay close to a 30 minute lap from the early stages of the event.

I was reading that there is a certain speed where it is more efficient to run and a speed where it is more efficient to walk.  In my second IM I tried this and focused on a run/walk strategy where I started with it from the first mile and adjusted that mix later if I needed so I walked until I felt I could run reasonably well instead of settling into a slow shuffle.  It worked very well and I carved an hour off my run.  I'm thinking along these same lines with also throwing in some amount of complete rest time.

I'm not sure about the complete rest time though as I seem to do better if I keep in motion and do not stop.  Though I imagine at some point, complete rest will not be optional.  This is one of the big unknows for me and is probably one of those things I just have to learn myself through trial and error.  Maybe some longer training sessions would provide some feedback.  I do have to be careful that I do not compromise my overall training schedule with a workout that will require extended recovery though.

Thank you for the feedback you've given me.  I appreciate it.  Anything I can learn the easier way the better.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 12 Hour Training Advice Rss Feed