General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed  
Moderators: jmk-brooklyn, Ron Reply
2013-05-08 10:15 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis?

I have an ongoing problem with PF. Not super serious at this time - it doesn't stop me running but I certainly have to manage it - stretches, icing, orthotics etc. I don't get pain when I run but it's pretty sore afterwards.

A running friend of mine she had heard that raising your running cadence is a good way to ease PF. The logic is that your feet hit the ground with less force and it's therefore easier on your feet. She pointed me at this article:

http://www.life123.com/sports/cycling-running/running/running-cadence.shtml

Question - does anybody have any thoughts or experience with this?

Certainly I have a pretty low cadence - around 83 - so trying to raise it is maybe a good idea anyway (to run faster!)

Appreciate your thoughts.

2013-05-09 5:54 AM
in reply to: #4734250

Subject: RE: Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis?

I have a high candence and occasionally get sore feet, so it might help it might not. I think it can help a whole host of other things though, such as cure over striding. 

You will end up hitting the ground with less force for sure, which when running long can really help.

2013-05-09 7:28 AM

User image

Regular

I was using a higher cadence with PF and it actually made mine worse.  I was told to ease into the higher cadence.  I'm out right now because after 2 years of PF I decided on the PRP injection but I plan to try to use a higher cadence when I start back.  I'll not do it every run and I may start with only half the run in the beginning.  Like every other change it takes some getting used to.

jami

2013-05-09 2:34 PM

User image

Pro
well- running, in general, doesn't "help" PF.  However, it's generally less stressful on your PF to increase your cadence.  It's less stressful on about everything except perhaps some hip flexor tendons
2013-05-10 4:14 AM

User image

I have (maybe I can say had) plantar fasciitis myself for about a year. My podiatrist prescribed me with Custom made orthotics which did not work at all. I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual. If something works for one it may not work for the other. I have found Taping very useful.

A few months ago as I was feeling much better with the pain I started two things:

1. doing a combination of stretching and strengthening exercises. I have found a good website summary explaining the subject of these exercises in:

http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html

2. Bought Nike free and started using them really really slow and easy. I was afraid doing it in an earlier stage.

I must say that doing these two things made a very big change in the way I felt with my feet until today that I can say I am completely over it.

Edited by Ezrida 2013-05-10 4:18 AM
2013-05-10 6:15 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
I had switched to chi running last year and was developing so PF, I refocused on the technique really paying attention to the little stuff and within 2 weeks running totally pain free. But I slowed down and REALLY focused on technique. My cadence is 88-90 and it is very comfortable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does Raising Run Cadence Help Plantar Fasciitis? Rss Feed