General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAck Injury Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-07-01 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Subject: BAck Injury
Looking for some sound advice here, I have 2 herniated discs in my back (L4 & L5), I just had a cortisone/steroid shot and I can feel the pain lessening.....however, the doc said I can go back to working out, and he cleared me for weights, swim, bike and pilates type workout....but no running for now. I have been out of trainign for about 3 months, and the run has always been my weak spot. Any good alternitives for running substitutes for the next 8 weeks or so till I am cleared for running. I have access to a full service gym.

2004-07-01 6:27 PM
in reply to: #34908

User image

Pro
Helena, MT
Subject: RE: BAck Injury
I'm sort of in the same boat. Well, no back injury, but I have screwy feet which lead to chronic problems in my legs. So I need to quit running until I can get them fixed. I'm just planning to swim and bike that much more. Are you cleared for the elliptical trainer? That is a fair imitation of running. When you lift, be sure to do some stiff-legged deadlifts (for hammies), calf raises and core muscle exercises to keep those muscles strong.

Good luck! It's pretty frustrating to be out with an injury. I feel ya there.

-Kim
2004-07-01 11:17 PM

User image

Expert
Torrington,CT

Hello,

You should try pool running.  You run in the water just like you normally would on land.  Stay in the deep end and go back and forth.  Just make sure you don't touch bottom.  This keeps the muscles ready for the return to land running.

Evelyn

2004-07-01 11:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston, MA
I did about 20 minutes of pool running today and it was great. If i had run on even grass for 20 minutes my legs would have been pretty sore, but the water running used the same muscles but against less resistance and i was able to keep a decent heart rate of around 140-150bpm...
2004-11-11 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Hi Will Race,

if the pool is deep enough, what about pool running- this would be no impact at all--
OR, what about the elyptical? Ask your doc first though.

Good luck and hope that helped... appologies if these are repeat suggestions, didn';t read what the others wrote.

:0)

Milly
2004-11-11 6:03 PM

User image

Master
I have back problems too, and like to use the eliptical runner when it is acting up.

Also, Have you talked to a good chiropractor that works with athletes? I hurt my back pretty bad playing rugby and went to the dr's for months. A few weeks with the chiropractor and I was good to go. I will probably never play rugby again, but I have a new sport now. he had me on a prety agressive adjustment schedule (2X per week) and doing some PT but it worked wonderfully. Now I go every month or so for a tune up but over all my back feals great. He also does some work on my hips and knees ocasionally. Anyways, just my 2 cents. 8-)

2004-11-20 12:39 AM

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
I feel your pain bro. I recently pulled a muscle in my back (about 8-9 weeks ago) and still cannot run without pain. Instead, I swim and bike on my trainer (darn winter weather). Anything is better than nothing. The ideas included in previous posts are all great exercises. You should be able to use them to help you keep your cardiovascular fitness without inflicting pain.

I also agree that you should see a chiroprater, sports massage therapist or physiotherapist. I have a massge therapist working on me and he has done wonders. I noticed an immediate improvement in my range of motion after my initial visit. The therapist should do a couple of things for you: 1. physical manipulation to stretch/align/loosen up your back and your hips, and 2. provide you with specific exercises that will help you maintain your flexibility and range of motion.

I hope this info helps.
2004-12-10 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
whoops, I see that i've responded to this already... how's the back doing?

Edited by gr8brindle 2004-12-10 1:57 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » BAck Injury Rss Feed