BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-05-25 11:20 PM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP
I was thinking the same thing Tim. I have my runs to follow already with my half marathon plan, but I thought about incorporating the bike and swim workouts. I noticed the swim workouts are all pretty full on, glad there is only two during the base phase or I'd be wiped out! haha

Originally posted by tmoran80

One thing you can try Simone is to just follow the first week of the Fink program for 2-3 weeks to help get in the swing of things and used to the program. This will also help with the swim since it starts off fairly large with 2500Y swim sessions.

2013-05-26 10:49 AM
in reply to: bmaldonado

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Hi Brandy.

Welcome and great to have you with us.

KC

Originally posted by bmaldonado

Hello...my name is Brandy. I did my first tri in 2006. I got heavy into racing ''09-''11 the end of '12 I pretty much wasn't racing or training. I've been back in training mode for the last 3-4 weeks. I just upgraded to a Bronze membership here and am trying to get as involved as I can to get back up to at least an Olympic distance race .. Thinking Sept for that. I have completed a few 70.3 but that's a bit much to shoot for at my current fitness level. I would like to join this group.
2013-05-28 6:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Had a busy day yesterday - with work and packing to move at end of June and training, things are nuts

I did manage to get two new tires put on the Shiv yesterday and order some new bling for the bike - carbon aero bars YAY - just felt like it LOL.

Also, had my anual visit with my heart doctor and the bicuspid aeorta valve is in fine working order and he says I have at least another 100,000 miles left on my before my next oil change - so that was good.

Even though I had a busy day yesterday - managed to squeeze in a short swim and a nice 7km run in the rain which I enjoyed but not nearly as much as one in the sun

Ok team - another busy day ahead. Be safe everyone.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2013-05-28 5:59 PM
2013-05-28 5:52 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
I am continuing to train for IM WI as best as I can. Not much in the way of running but have been walking and doing a lot of hills in hopes of keeping my legs strong and ready to run when I get the green light.

I have a great therapist who is a triathlete and an Ironman finisher. Two more weeks of therapy and we will see if I can start some running. I have been doing some 80-100 steps of running every 5 minutes of walking but that is it so far. He suggested the elliptical in place of running but my hamstring doesn't seem to like that movement right now. I think adding an extra bike workout is a better plan.

Has any ever heard of per anserinus tendonitis/bursitis? The PT thinks that is what is going on. The meniscus seems to be healing well but the MCL is lagging a bit.

The only way I won't do IM WI is if the PT/MD tell me I will do further damage that will affect me in the long term. Otherwise I will keep on keeping on with the training! Charting a little different course but aiming for the same destination.

Happy training everyone!
2013-05-28 6:01 PM
in reply to: retiretotri

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Lori.

I have never heard of that? You are a perfect example of RFP - keep it going and before you know it you will be ready to go. I think you are on the right path and have the right mind set.

KC

Originally posted by retiretotri

I am continuing to train for IM WI as best as I can. Not much in the way of running but have been walking and doing a lot of hills in hopes of keeping my legs strong and ready to run when I get the green light.

I have a great therapist who is a triathlete and an Ironman finisher. Two more weeks of therapy and we will see if I can start some running. I have been doing some 80-100 steps of running every 5 minutes of walking but that is it so far. He suggested the elliptical in place of running but my hamstring doesn't seem to like that movement right now. I think adding an extra bike workout is a better plan.

Has any ever heard of per anserinus tendonitis/bursitis? The PT thinks that is what is going on. The meniscus seems to be healing well but the MCL is lagging a bit.

The only way I won't do IM WI is if the PT/MD tell me I will do further damage that will affect me in the long term. Otherwise I will keep on keeping on with the training! Charting a little different course but aiming for the same destination.

Happy training everyone!
2013-05-28 6:04 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
I was going to do a little pity party here for a bit but seeing what Lori has going on I have it easy. Today - just a busy day and Mother Nature and Life got in the way of my training. Was supposed to do about 40 km on the bike but unfortunately I am going to have to miss the workout today. However, that is ok, I am in a good place right now and will just hit the wrapper early and tomorrow is a new day

Stay safe everyone.

KC

2013-05-28 9:42 PM

User image

Chicago
Hello Team,

Hope everyone had a good weekend. I was able to take advantage of my 3-day weekend by getting in a lot of training. It feels great to be able to stick to the plan and not fall short because of whatever reason.

Since I've registered for my first Olympic Tri, I have to admit that I have been nervous. I enjoy training for events but I have not gotten over the swim anxiety part. This is all that I have been thinking about and I wonder if I will be able to get through it. I'm seven weeks away and I feel physically fit to cover the distance but I'm not confident with the swim part still.

Have some of you gone through this and if so what can I do to get out of this anxiety that I am going through with the swim?

2013-05-29 9:30 AM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lori - I do hope you heal soon, as I am sure you are too. It sounds like you are working with the right person who knows what is needed and how determine we are. Last year I worked with a PT who was also a runner and he told me if I follow his plan I would get to the the IM start line with no pain and he was right. It was hard to follow his plan but he knew what I needed to do.

Gil - I use to think that I didn't have swim anxiety but after analyzing my races I do freak out during the swim portion. No matter how much you have raced it is normal to have some anxiety. Somehow I get the job done but there are times that I wonder if I can.

I believe my coach is having fun with me as this week it is a recovery week. She is telling me to just do a few exercises, relax and catch up on my sleep as we will start ramping up the training starting next week. I have been thinking what the heck have I been doing the last 4 weeks. I guess the last 4 weeks have been building and now training will really start.

Right now I am having to decide whether or not I should continue with my coach that I have worked with for the last 2 years or should I work with the a new coach that is here more locally. I have told my current coach that we will work together to get me across the finish line again this fall. However there are times that I feel that my current coach is not really there for me as it would take days for her to respond back to me. Some of my workouts I had to figure out what the heck she was wanting, things like that. The local coach puts that track workouts together for anyone and he seems a lot more visible. He even told me that he is very accessible by phone and email and so far anytime that I reach out to him he gets back to me. I have a feeling that I will stay with my current coach till November and then re-evaluate then.
2013-05-29 11:06 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
McFarland, WI
I was coached for three seasons (two IMs, one HIM) and found that it got a little stale and she seemed to get a little disinterested in me as an athlete. The final straw? I caught her cutting and pasting the same workouts for everyone she was coaching that wasn't on her unlimited contact plan (the most expensive by the way). So, I am self-coached but using a mix of Matt Fitzgerald's plans and Joel Friel's concepts for older athletes.

Change is good and sometimes a new coach can create huge improvements. Being local is a huge plus in my mind.

Did a 3000 continuous swim in the pool yesterday! Not fast by most people's standards (actually pretty slow) but it felt good to me! Efficiency is where it is at for the swim in my IM. Plan on really working the bike hard June through August, the money shot! Time to start hitting the bigger hills around home and the IM loop starting in a couple of weeks.

My injuries are improving very slowly but any progress is great in my mind. The injuries were caused by my 18 pound ball of muscle Jack Russell Terrier/Cattle Dog mix. He came running across the tile kitchen floor to greet me and slipped and slammed into my planted and straight left leg. My knee hyperextended backward and to the outside. His exuberance is wonderful most of the time but not in this case.

KC-I don't sweat missed workouts. Be satisfied with getting those long and medium workouts in, the rest are just filler. If I minimally get the long ones done well evry week I am very happy.
2013-05-29 2:49 PM
in reply to: gdelamora

User image

Expert
Gil,

What are you anxious about? The lake water? close contact? Just general race anxiety? Try not to make a big deal of it. I would recommend starting way off to the side and just take your time. You could even just wait 10 seconds then follow in behind the wave. Just remember you swim is such a small part of your race time that even the WORST swim would only put you back 5-10 minutes which can easily be made up on the bike/run. Just relax.

You could try what i did and just get right in there. I was really anxious about the mass swim start for 364 days last year. I decided during all my races to just get right in the scrum of things at every race I did and that is when I realized it wasn't that bad. I actually wanna do another mass swim start.

One tip to help is when ever I feel uncomfortable or crowded and am afraid of getting kicked or contact from the front I do a mini version of the "catch up drill". Just keep you your leading hand extended out a little longer than normal almost like you are feeling your way through the water.

Good luck and just relax and most importantly have fun with it!

Originally posted by gdelamora

Have some of you gone through this and if so what can I do to get out of this anxiety that I am going through with the swim?

2013-05-29 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
KC - those aero bars sound nice. I second Lori and agree to not worry about missing little workouts. Not worth the stress!

Lori - Sound like you have a plan so that is good. I truly hope you can get back to 100% before IMWI. Just take it one day at a time. I have never heard of that condition before but it sounds really bad (I cringe at anything that has to do with knees).

KTC - I vote for the local coach. especially if the old coach is taking way to long to get back to you. Was he always like that or has it been since you moved?

I recently discovered something in my training - Do not eat 7 pieces of pizza at a company lunch party then immediately go on a hard 3 mile run in 83 degree hot and humid weather. It was not pretty. Kept an 8:44 pace but almost pukes 2 times. Ended up being more of a mental workout then aerobic haha.

2013-05-29 6:32 PM

Got my run in today...missed my swim yesterday. Run felt good... Ran 4 and 1's
2013-05-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: bmaldonado

User image

Expert
Nice job getting your run in today. I am racking my brain but no luck haha -What are 4 and 1's?

Originally posted by bmaldonado

Got my run in today...missed my swim yesterday. Run felt good... Ran 4 and 1's
2013-05-29 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Lori, that's crazy. I hope you heal quickly.

Tim, I thought I was the only person that could tuck down 7 slices of pizza. That's pretty impressive you ran after. Normally I just sit and burp haha
2013-05-30 5:34 AM
in reply to: cheekymonkeys1

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL, been trying to get back into the swing of things and finally think I am on track again with my training and nutrition.

Been a hard few weeks since getting back from Port Macquarie. Winter really kills me emotionally. It has always been a danger time for depression and I was hoping the meds I'm on would counter act that, but they need to be tweaked again as I have been a bit down and anxious. I'm also about to say goodbye to my therapist after 4.5 years of him being my rock and only real support with regards to my illness. He is retiring at the end of June and I have my last session with him on the 13th June, so that's been playing mind games in my head. I now have to get some closure with him and try and learn to trust a stranger all over again. Part of me feels like I'm losing my best friend and another part of me feels like I'm graduating as we have been through a lot together and I have come a very long way with his guidance and help. At least the guy we have decided upon as his replacement is not only a clinical therapist but also has an interest in sports psychology which is partly why I chose him. I thought with training for IMOZ his insights would be helpful to keep my mind focussed through the many ups and downs I am definitely going to be facing. Apparently he is intrigued by my story too.

Even so, with all this happening, this week I've really kicked myself in the butt and started back with regular training and healthy eating again which has helped a lot. Even sucked it up today and went for a ride in the rain which was actually not as miserable as I expected it to be. I actually had some fun splashing through the mud and puddles in the wet weather gear. The next big step will be getting back in the pool tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a great finish to the week!

2013-05-30 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Gil - I am anxious on the swim too. I haven't done an open water swim start in about 20 years, so I'm a bit stressed about that for Shep 70.3 and IMOZ. I'm going to try and get out with some guys from the local tri club and do some open water practice. Even so I know I will be a wreck till I get in the water and start swimming, Once the fear turns to adrenalin I am usually fine, and you might find it that way too, that once you start you'll be thinking more about your technique and the race and so your mind wont be stuck on the fear factor.

Lori - I'm so sorry to hear about your mishap, what rotten luck. I hope it heals quickly. It sounds like your PT has you on a great recovery plan and you have an awesome attitude so I'm sure once you can start running properly again you'll pick back up any fitness you lost pretty quickly. I'll be sending positive vibes your way!

KTC - I'm training uncoached, but as others have said if you have better access to the local coach then it sounds like a no brainer.

KC - Wish I could send you some of my free time bud so you could fit more training in. But you will be fine. You know what it takes to be an Ironman already and one or two lost workouts wont stop you repeating that effort!

Tim LOL re the pizza and run! That reminds me of when I was working beat patrols in Adelaide many years ago. You only ever have a big meal once on duty, cause you can almost guarantee the one and only time you do, you'll be in a foot chase of a house breaker or shoplifter straight after meal time and end up pewking it up in a laneway straight after, if not during!! haha

Brandy - Nice job on your run!

2013-05-30 10:27 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Veteran
Boulder
KTC - I'd go with the local coach. Seems like you'd probably get more personalized attention and not have to wait days for a response. Good luck no matter what you decide.

Tim/Deb - I thought I was the only one to try to eat 7 slices of pizza and then go for a run later. Ha ha. That sounds like pukeville for sure.

I had a ton of fun hiking/mt biking/kayaking in the Dakotas over Memorial Day weekend now back to the real training. I don't feel like I missed a beat thought cuz we did some tough stuff.
2013-05-30 9:11 PM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

Missed my bike...planning to get it in tomorrow...been lacking on bike...did hit Bikram yoga today
2013-05-31 4:08 AM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Jen- Welcome back, glad you had a great time on your hiking trip.

KC- Nice purchase re the carbon aero bars, I was hoping my finances would stretch for a new tri bike before IMOZ (I want the Cervelo P2 105) but it doesn't look like it is going to happen as I need to get a wetsuit too. Everything is so expensive over here. Maybe for my second one!

Had a good day training today, did an indoor session at the gym on the treadmill and trainer and then some weights. Starting to find my mojo again.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, looks like I'll be in for another wet ride on Saturday and probably a wet run Sunday too. Fun times ahead!
2013-05-31 8:11 AM

User image

Good morning everyone! I'm glad to see the group together again! The summer is coming in full force this week in sunny South Carolina. My training has been going pretty well. I'm getting faster and my endurance is building. I have a few aches and pains that I have to ice regularly but so far it hasn't become a limiter.

I've been thinking about my goals for Tri - year 1 and think I might hold off on the HIM until year 2. I think I'll do a couple more sprints this year, maybe an international if I can find one late season and look for a HM early spring. Then next year I have my eye on 2 HIM, one spring in Florida and one Fall in either Augusta or B2B in NC.

I hope everyone has a great weekend!
2013-05-31 8:30 AM
in reply to: phishinphan

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Good morning Team!

KTC, I would also plump for a local coach. My coach is local, but I do 99% of my plan through Training peaks. That said, I can call her whenever I like, she always responds asap to text and email. If I have something I am unsure about she is very clear and I know if I needed to meet up with her I could do so. The added bonus with mine was her price. I see the prices some people are paying and I feel like I have a steal going.

I am again looking for revenge on the last 2 long rides this weekend. I NEED a good long ride to keep my head in the game or I'll be a total basket case for LP. I am headed to Vermont for the weekend and hope to ride from the Isle to LP. This weekend there is no snow forecast, just 90's and thunderstorms (??!! wth)

LP seemed like such a good idea at the time. It's starting to look like it may already be a death march for me.

Anyway, Have a great day folks!

2013-05-31 9:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Do you have room for one more?

I am pretty new to triathlons. I did my first sprint almost 1 year ago and on May 5 of this year I did my first HIM. I am registered to do my first full on September 8, 2013. (I know I am crazy)

Michelle
2013-05-31 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hi Everyone!

Tim - I was laughing on the pizza as one day I ate Mexican food and 2 hours later I was running in the heat. I can feel your pain about feeling like you were going to puke. I learned either run in the heat and then eat or wait a few more hours before running. As for the 7 slices, I guess we all have a hearty appetite as I can put that amount away also.

Simone - Sorry to hear about your therapist but it might be good to have a change and it sounds like the one you will be going to might be a good fit for you. During my training my coach always tells me to make my workout fun, and not stress over them. At times that is hard but when I let go of trying to beat a time and I just let go and relax I seem to do better in the long run. Take these next few weeks and find the fun in your workouts and that might help you get back in the swing of things.

Lori - My dogs always run right into my legs and after hearing your story I am really worried that they might hurt me as they are more like 70 and 50 lbs. Yes, they are big dogs.

As for my coach delima I sent an email to her yesterday asking her some questions and asking for a phone call. I will see how long it will take before she responds and I am going to be honest with her and tell her I am feeling frustrated with her lack of response and see what she says.

Pierce - go with what you are comfortable with. You have plenty of time to do HIM's, no need to rush your seasons.

Deb - Good luck this weekend with the weather. Who would have image the weather you have been having this spring?!

Have a great weekend of training!
KTC
2013-06-01 3:20 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

Had a great day today, took the MTB out for a wet and muddy 40+km ride through the bush. We had a fair bit of rain overnight and there were plenty of puddles to play in!

Hope everyone else is having a good Saturday.
2013-06-01 9:02 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Another busy week has past. I hope everyone is doing well.

Gil -- I am the king of swim anxiety - just ask the group lol - you can do it. Hell I spent 3/4 of my first sprint tri doing back stroke lol and it all turned out ok.

Simone - hang tight and stay posititve - your new doctor will be awesome.

KTC - my Mom always told me "kevin, a change is as good as a rest" maybe a new coach will do you wonders?

Deb - you can do this my friend and I can't wait to be there and to see it!

Michelle - AWESOME - what full are you doing?

OK Team - first race for me tomorrow - Belle River Sprint - where my illustrious BOP carreer all started and I am looking forward to it. The water is going to be chilly - damn it

Stay safe everyone.

KC
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28