General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies, does your monthly visitor effect your training -that- much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-17 6:56 AM

User image

Subject: Ladies, does your monthly visitor effect your training -that- much?

Last 2 training days have been tough. I know that sleep, stress, diet etc effect your training, but given that nothing was out of the ordinary, I am wondering how much my monthly cycle effects my training. Up until now I always took a day or two off because I had the luxury to do so. Now that I'm doing an Oly in late summer, I'm determained to follow the plan no matter what (unless it is thundering/lightning out).

The other day my swim was a mess. I struggled to maintain 1:55/100. Normally my sets of 100s are 1:42-1:47. My normal bike speed that I can sustain for long periods is 12-14mph. It was a struggle to maintain 10-12 during my 1h50min ride yesterday.

Its depressing thinking that I'm going backwards in my fitness/training.

2013-05-17 7:04 AM
in reply to: #4746527

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Subject: RE: Ladies, does your monthly visitor effect your training -that- much?

This is a GREAT thread.  I applaud you and thank you for starting it. 

Mine absolutely kills my times.  So much so that I have really tried to take it into consideration when signing up for races.  That being said, I got an IUD last July and I'm still not regular.  Sucks.  The two days before, and the first three days of it, make me a different, MUCH slower athlete. 

It is simply amazing to me how much it impacts my training and performance:/

That being said, I still do my workouts, but I repeat to myself as an ongoing mantra, "Don't look at the watch.  This is because of your period. Don't look at the watch.  Focus on your breathing. Etc."

I can hardly wait for menopause;)

2013-05-17 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Ladies, does your monthly visitor effect your training -that- much?
The week before the visit I suffer from a large amount of fatigue and just feel run down. I also tend to cave more on the salt and sugar cravings which leads to bloating and stitches while running, especially. I don't stop or take breaks. I was conditioned to work through it. Once things get going I'm fine.

Edited by Blanda 2013-05-17 7:38 AM
2013-05-17 7:46 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

Not consistently. It definitely affects how well I feel when doing a workout or race, but there's little effect on my actual performance. The one exception would be a race or workout that involves cold water, or taking in nutrition. I have a weird pattern the last 1--2 days before starting and the first 1-2 days after where I'm very sensitive to cold, and get nauseated easily. So OWS anywhere outside the tropics, and taking in food on the bike, becomes difficult. It can make a total hash of a longer race (recent one at Lang Co a case in point) where nutrition is necessary or if the water/weather is cold. If I can survive without taking in much nutrition, and it's warm, I do okay. I've actually gotten my "visitor" just before a race, and even during it several times, and won the race in at least two cases, set PB's in others. I feel more nauseous when I push the pace, but I'm not actually any slower. The weirdest thing is that I often have really good workouts about three days before I start--never figured that one out. But it's nice to feel like Superwoman one day a month!

2013-05-17 9:18 AM

User image

New user

I also noticed I had a psike in my performances 3-4 days before... bizarre, but hey I'll take it!

I started having really bad pms since having 2 kids. My doctor simply told me to take advil for the pain and see a psy- if the mood swings were to become any nastier... ?!!?

I used to take a couple of days off training when my period arrived. Now I just train with it, and I realized that once I'm moving, the symptoms are not that bad, and no effect on my performance either.

2013-05-17 1:33 PM
in reply to: LPJmom

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

It didn't usually affect me. I've always been lucky I guess, and not had any cramps, bloating, etc. Occassionally though, I would get some wicked cramps that really were quite bad and always seemed to be timed with a big race.

I started taking a BC pill that changed your cycle so you only have a period every 3 months. Then my doctor said that I could keep taking the pills so that I never got a period. I've been doing this for 2 years and success. No more monthly or even quarterly cycle to deal with.

2013-05-17 1:39 PM
in reply to: jeng

User image

Seattle
I gain a considerable amount of weight, I'm generally pretty fatigued and reeeaaaaallly hungry. Those things aside, the actual training and times and whatnot are un-affected. It's just more difficult to get out the door.
2013-05-17 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
I've experienced most of what everyone else has said here: fatigue, mood swings, hunger, cravings for the week prior. However, when I made significant changes to my diet (eliminated processed food, artificial sweeteners, etc. - a la Paleo) the symptoms noticeably diminished. I still get them from time to time (although I no longer get migraines) and some weeks are worse than others, but I'm still researching because I still think there are ways to feel better most of the time without drugs.

Most recently I came across the book The Hormone Cure by Dr. Sara Gottfried. It's amazing how ALL of our hormones have to be in sync in order for us to be at our best. She has quizzes that can help you identify your problem areas and what/how to talk about it with your doctor (and some lifestyle changes to try on your own). I really like her approach. It might help give you some answers.

2013-05-17 9:24 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

OMG. in my 20's and 30's it  seemed like it was nothing- now @ 47 it = insanity basicly. 

Physically I just deal and push through to do what needs to get done.

I'm honestly not experienced enough (athletically) to notice a difference in my speeds etc,

BUT it makes me so unfocused and moody and hungry and fatigued- and there is no consistency to when these things will happen, could be before, could be during, could be after!! grrrrrr it's insanity I tell you!!! Tongue out

I am WAY cleaning up my diet hoping that helps. I hear in addition to whole foods, eating organic and non GMO make a big difference too.

Also- I use natural progestrone cream and that helps A LOT - when i remember to use it consistantly. Also- red raspberry- the herb- in a tea or capsules, really helps regulate a cycle & reduce flo. If I am on during my tri I will be taking some red raspberry several days before for sure.

Yes I believe all horomones work together - I will be checking out The Hormone Cure by Dr. Sara Gottfried.

My chiropractor really believes that a clogged liver can cause a lot of problems with excess estrogen, so it is important to keep your liver detoxed (eat beets!!)

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-05-17 9:26 PM
2013-05-17 10:04 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

Master
Wow, do you know I have never thought about it? I know I have days that I am sucking and don't know why--had a day like that in the pool last week, and yup, had my period. I just figured it was the occasional bad day we all have...
2013-05-17 10:53 PM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
There must be something wrong with me. honestly, it has never been a detriment. I don't even give it much thought.

2013-05-18 1:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Melon Presser
Originally posted by Asalzwed

I gain a considerable amount of weight, I'm generally pretty fatigued and reeeaaaaallly hungry. Those things aside, the actual training and times and whatnot are un-affected. It's just more difficult to get out the door.

Funny, I was going to ask you specifically that because now you've got a crapton of training on you in every kind of personal and environmental condition.

More or less the same here. I don't get quite as fatigued as you, though, I think. Tougher to get out the door, but quality and recovery are fine.
But I can literally fluctuate 6kg in the course of a day or from day to day.

I have arthritis and my joints SEEM to hurt/ache more during these times, but that could be perception and part of being more tired.

ETA: not to mention from having that much more weight on them on a small frame! Duh! never thought of it.

Edited by TriAya 2013-05-18 1:34 AM
2013-05-18 3:14 AM

User image

Regular
NSW
I have to take a day or two off, exercise due to fatigue. Even at work I look pale and tired. Have tried to train through it but end up with fatigue for longer. Thought I needed to harden up, so I am grateful for this thread! So how many of you use OCP to control your cycle around events.
2013-05-18 8:59 AM

New user
Key West
Now, not at all since I have been basically neutered But back when I still had all my plumbing I had terrible PMS issues and had, as it turned out endometriosis, large fibroids, and polyps. Anyway, I would say that the week before was probably the worst for me too with bloating, pain, etc. Then at the end before it all came out, it was the flow (sorry guys) that was just so heavy, that I couldn't go very far from a bathroom and also, of course, resulted in anemia since it went on for 6 months straight. So, I feel your pain, but not mine anymore.
2013-05-18 9:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts
Since I have gone off birth control, I have noticed that usually a week before my cycle arrives, I experience a very high level of fatigue. It can happen when I'm well-rested or not, but it completely derails my training. My motivation levels are off- I just cannot seem to get myself moving.

That being said, if I eat well and make sure that my iron levels are replete along with calcium and magnesium, then I can usually muster up a couple of workouts. What I usually do is move my workouts and do ones that are lower intensity/recovery so I don't miss too much.

And sometimes I just don't workout. For me, it's not worth the mental beating I'll give myself over having a couple of really poor workouts. I found this article to be helpful when thinking about how to combat some symptoms through diet.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-8034/9-diet-changes-to-help-conquer-...
2013-05-18 5:13 PM
in reply to: isabella969

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by isabella969

I also noticed I had a psike in my performances 3-4 days before... bizarre, but hey I'll take it!

I started having really bad pms since having 2 kids. My doctor simply told me to take advil for the pain and see a psy- if the mood swings were to become any nastier... ?!!?

I used to take a couple of days off training when my period arrived. Now I just train with it, and I realized that once I'm moving, the symptoms are not that bad, and no effect on my performance either.

I trained/raced prekids and had almost no symptoms and no real performance issues. Now, post 3 kids, it is a completely different deal. I don't know if it's kids or just being older. On the plus side, I'm faster all other times of the month than I was pre kids :).

2013-05-18 8:10 PM
in reply to: switch

User image

Bronze member
I have lots of issues with PMS but I train through it. I let up on any expectations, leave the watch/Garmin at home and just keep moving because I know I will feel better. As I get older (41) the exhaustion and bloating seem to be getting worse. Putting on tri clothes when I already feel gross and bloated does not do a lot to help my attitude!
2013-05-18 10:51 PM

User image

Usually I feel tired and sleepy for a whole week, like 4 days before and 3 days during.
So I can't do too fast in anything, and would be just glad I finish the workout!!

One exception is that I ran my first marathon during my period.
I was so inexperienced that I didnot realized it when signing up.
Actually I didn't feel too bad. Guess the marathon spirit really helped me there.
2013-05-19 4:09 PM

Veteran
Running has always been my cure for menstrual cramps. It takes a lot to get going, but once I do, the cramps go away. However, they have been known to return a few hours later. I'm not sure that my menstrual cycle has effected my race times.

A while back I read an article about running and the menstrual cycle. I think I read that women are better at endurance activities right before their cycle, and during their cycle. Those same women were better at speed at other times of the month.

I am approaching menopause and now have my cycle every 21 days (that stinks!). I can't let it interfere with my training.
2013-05-19 5:45 PM
in reply to: punkster

User image

Payson, AZ
It use to bother me but never affect my training. running, as long as it was easy paced, helped. Then I went on the pill. I'm all about artificially helping that puppy along. No cramps and barely (rarely actually) any period at all. I went on the pill so I wouldn't have my period in Africa but now I am kicking myself for not doing it sooner
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ladies, does your monthly visitor effect your training -that- much? Rss Feed