General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cervelo P1 Shifting Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-19 9:05 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas
Subject: Cervelo P1 Shifting Question
I bought my bike used this last fall, and I swear when I was riding on the trainer that the shifter on my right hand that operates my cassette in the rear shifted like this:
Shifter towards my body (or more pointed upwards) - I could've swore that the chain was on the small gear of the cassette and when I shifted the shifter away from me or more down (towards the ground) it would move the chain from my right to left on the chain rings.

I got fitted a couple weeks ago and we kind of went through some maintenance things on the bike. One of them was he replaced the chain. When I was out on my ride yesterday I was watching my shifting and it goes the opposite of stated above.

So my question is - How does your Cervelo P1 shift? I want to make sure I have it on correctly, and if it is backwards - will it cause any damage?

Thanks!

2013-05-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: jayhawk_sean

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Cervelo P1 Shifting Question
Assuming you're talking about bar-end shifters, your bike is correct now, and nothing changed unless for some bizarre reason your shifters were upside down and you never noticed. The most down position corresponds with the slackest cable tension, and should rest on your smallest (least teeth, that is, not easiest to turn) gear. When the tension is the greatest in the the furthest up position, the derailleur is being pulled to its farthest position, on your biggest (most teeth) gear in back. I suppose it's possible it was upside down before, but that would be a pretty egregious setup error made by whoever assembled the bike. Not out of the range of possibility, but I'm glad for your sake it's correct now!
2013-05-19 6:26 PM
in reply to: fisherman76

User image

Regular
Kansas
Subject: RE: Cervelo P1 Shifting Question
Thank you - I could be completely mistaken, but I could've swore that it was the other way before. I am glad that it is the way it is supposed to be now. Thank you for your help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cervelo P1 Shifting Question Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cervelo P1 or Felt S22?

Started by michael_runs
Views: 3677 Posts: 8

2011-10-18 1:59 PM michael_runs

Getting tri bike...carbon or no carbon (Cervelo P1 vs others)

Started by trinado
Views: 6125 Posts: 16

2010-09-16 11:12 AM JoshKaptur

Cervelo P1 - 54?

Started by misha123
Views: 1565 Posts: 10

2010-09-09 7:30 AM audiojan

Cervelo Q - '05 P3 vs. '09 P1

Started by wrmeyer08
Views: 646 Posts: 4

2009-12-07 10:58 AM JoshKaptur

I survived, the Cervelo P1 did not. Pages: 1 2

Started by Beej
Views: 3751 Posts: 46

2009-08-26 1:39 PM louiskie
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 12, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
How should I be shifting gears on the front chainring and the rear cogs to cope with hills?

date : November 5, 2008
How often should you have a bike tune up and what should be included? Is it unreasonable to expect a refitting as part of the tune up?
date : August 5, 2008
The wheels are my first area of concern and I have started to shop around. I find it nauseating to think of spending the same amount for wheels as my bike. Any help?

date : March 18, 2008
author : Coach AJ
A video covering some very basic concepts of several components of a triathlon bike. Learn about gearing, shifting, pedals and a little about selecting a cassette for you.
date : September 13, 2007
author : AMSSM
I recently bought a new road bike and have been putting in 3 and 4 hour rides. After long rides (or even short rides which require a lot of shifting) I develop an area of pain in my right wrist.

date : January 7, 2007
author : KevinKonczak
Discussions on swimming, observing, asking questions, flip-turns, flexible ankles, rotation, Stretch Cordz, skiing substitution and resting.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : May 30, 2005
author : bostic
Swimming has one of the cheapest gear requirements out there. If there’s one necessity any beginner triathlete can’t do without in the pool it’s a good, reliable set of goggles.