General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help finding a coach Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-13 6:56 PM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Need help finding a coach
I am part of the BT contingent that will be razing IMAZ on 4/15/07. I have self-coached to some degree of success (i.e. I haven't died yet...) in a handful of races. However, IM is a beast of a whole other color, and I feel like I would benefit significantly from being coached by someone who knows what they're talking about.

I live in Nashville, TN, and in my research, tri coaches do not abound, not even at our uber fancy gym. So I'm thinking of taking the online coaching route. I don't really know what to look for there, nor do I know in particular what to avoid. So I guess I'm looking for advice on a good coach/coaching site that won't bust my wallet, but also that won't just give me a pre-fab training plan that is doled out to everybody and their brother's brother.

Any thoughts...?

2006-07-13 7:03 PM
in reply to: #482145

User image

Pro
Woodstock,GA
Subject: RE: Need help finding a coach
Check out our website www.thesportfactory.com
2006-07-13 7:56 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
CHeck http://www.tri-hard.com  I use Will.  I think he is great.  Very respnosive.  I looked at a lot of coaches.  he is actually my second coach.   First one didn't work out for me. 
2006-07-13 8:35 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
You can do a search at the USAT website for coaches on you area or you can also visit my coach's website: http://www.pbmcoaching.com/home.htm

I’ve been working with him for a little over a year now and my racing performance had improved dramatically. He has a lot of experience, knowledge and he’ll set you up through training peaks a log in which you'll get all your workouts and constant communication. He is great at keeping the communication open and anytime you update you logs he gets a notification and you’ll get his comments on it. Finally he is very good at accommodating particular situations as we all know life gets on our way from time to time.  Send me a PM with specific questions or shoot him an email at [email protected]

2006-07-13 9:13 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
You can go to USAT website and find a coach through them.
2006-07-13 9:46 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Lots of good online coaching options out there.  My advice would be to visit some web sites and see what the various coaches have to offer and what their philosophy on coaching is.  In my personal opinion you want someone who will take the time to understand your specific needs and goals so they design a custom training program that fits both your abilities and your life.  Communication is key in a coach/athlete relationship...there has to be honest communication in both directions for things to work.  Mike Ricci has a good article on his page about choosing a coach: The Benefits of Hiring a Coach.  I also happen to think Mike is a great coach based on my personal experience.  You might also ask arounf BT to get some feedback on coaches that folks around here use.

2006-07-13 11:44 PM

User image

Champion
MA

You clearly have some ideas of what is important to you which will help you in selecting a coach. My big point was I wanted someone to work with me and help me set and reach goals for me but would be flexible in helping my schedule and change things as needed around my life as a mom of 5 kids and a wife and working full time. I didn't want limited contact but needed it to be afordable.

Below is a recent thread  in which I posted more about what I looked for when I selected my coach and lots of good thoughts from other BTers.

I use Will ([email protected]) from www.Tri-Hard.com same as Sue. I've worked with him since April 2005 and he has helped me with all aspects of tri training and racing. I have grown as an athelte, mental I'm stronger, I love training, improved my daily nutrition and race nutrition, enjoy racing more and Will has helped me in all these areas plus I've improved a lot...pretty fun for a 44 year old women. I have a rough 4 year plan to build up to do an Ironman race in 2008, and I know working with Will I'll get there if my goal doesn't change. This year I've done things a year ago I didn't think were possible and I can't wait for the adventure to continue.

You might want to read this thread:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=48497&posts=18&start=1

Good luck..finding a coach that is a good match for you, it will make a huge difference in your training.

2006-07-14 8:58 AM

A group of us used Mike Plumb from [email protected]

He gave us all individual plans for IMCDA 06, which all of us finished!! We searched thru a lot of online coaches and it ended up Mike was the one for us. After we all received our plans, we blogged her on BT. We became friends supporting each other along the way, and knew we always had Coach Mike to answer questions for us and keep us motivated. If you have a group as you said, this could work for you also.

Of all the coaches we researched, Mike was the one who was able to meet our requirements, came thru with exactly what he said he could do for us and the topper was he was actually at our race for additional support. That to me was awesome. His words were the last ones I heard for inspiration before the cannon went boom!!!

Good luck if you have any ??'s feel free to ask me.
vgirl
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need help finding a coach Rss Feed