General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How am I so out of shape?... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-20 1:34 PM

San Diego, California
Subject: How am I so out of shape?...
....From one week (more like 5 days) of alteration from my normal training level!?!?

I recently went on a trip to visit my family and see my brother graduate- since I flew there and was largely on the whole family's schedule, I was only able to run- no biking or swimming. I did actually finally have time to go to the local Y on the last day (how lovely that felt!) I didn't like being away from my normal training routine, but I was so busy and didn't really have a choice to comply with the vast majority....

So my question is- WHY DO I FEEL LIKE CRAP!?!? I was gone for 6 days, and ever since I came back I feel slow, heavy (too much eating and drinking :P), and really out of shape/tired. Has this happened to anyone else? I am finding it hard to jump right back in as I had expected to- should I have eased in? I didn't think 6 days of no swimming and biking would make that much difference... Am I alone in this?
Thanks!

2013-05-20 1:37 PM
in reply to: oceania1289

User image

Regular
Aalborg, Denmark
Subject: RE: How am I so out of shape?...
(too much eating and drinking :P),

I think the mystery might have been solved.
2013-05-20 2:02 PM
in reply to: oceania1289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
It shouldn't make a difference much at all, if your base was solid. How long has it been since you flew? Personally I find I can't do much of anything after flying for about 24 hours, just owing to the pressure changes and how my equilibrium reacts (i have some squirrely ears in that regard). I just came back from a vacation where I did a fair amount of walking, but no swimming or riding, and didn't eat as I normally do, but didn't suffer any setbacks training-wise. If anything, the rest felt great, and some lingering soreness and tension dissipated, leaving me feeling fresh and stronger. Fwiw, your training logs don't suggest you've dropped off much at all, if any.

You also might have a low grade sickness?
2013-05-20 2:35 PM
in reply to: Dnn

User image

Master
Livonia, MI
Originally posted by Dnn

(too much eating and drinking :P),

I think the mystery might have been solved.

x2. It's shocking how much the body will protest when giving a bunch of crap to which it is not accustomed. It's a real testament to how much what we put into our bodies affects us.

Up through college I ate fast food daily. Give me something fried and full of chemicals now and I'd probably puke. And then my training would suck for several days.

This year I let myself have desserts at Christmas. I generally don't do refined sugar at all. I went a bit overboard. I think it took me a solid week to feel like I could perform "normally" again.
2013-05-21 9:34 PM
in reply to: noelle1230

San Diego, California
Ahhh. That could be it. I wouldn't say I ate like TOTAL crap, but definitely not my norm.... I had my first run today that felt okay. I guess I didn't realize just how long it would affect me for! Thanks for the input!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How am I so out of shape?... Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Alternating work outs - is that enough rest?

Started by cobannero
Views: 1198 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 1:42 PM KathyG

Cold weather work-outs

Started by egates656
Views: 881 Posts: 3

2004-10-13 12:50 AM waterfordhunter

Bike Tire blow outs

Started by ljrooney
Views: 1020 Posts: 5

2004-09-01 7:53 PM domlazz

Am I really that out of shape?

Started by CptnJackSparrow
Views: 1114 Posts: 8

2004-08-04 3:13 PM tech_geezer

Upper body work-outs?

Started by GamblerZ
Views: 1530 Posts: 7

2004-02-16 10:08 AM JaWaLav
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 7, 2007
author : newinboston
comments : 6
Some would say there are easier ways to get in shape, and they are probably right. My first worry was being able to squeeze into a wetsuit by race day.
date : July 10, 2007
author : mars
comments : 5
The journey of an average Joe entering the triathlon world. I was 35 pounds overweight and out of shape. Enough was enough, and it was time for me to take back my health and my body.

date : January 30, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 0
I am totally out of shape. I haven't worked out in over 2 years. I want to get back into it. I am facing several challenges including time constraints and being over weight.
date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
For everyone, the way they stay in shape during the off season is different, so you may have to find what works best for you.

date : June 14, 2005
author : marmadaddy
comments : 17
Once you caught your breath, it occurred to you that finishing even a short triathlon might be harder than you thought. After a few "laps" you thought, "I can't believe I'm so out of shape."
date : November 29, 2004
author : gsmacleod
The story of how I lost 60lbs and decided to start training for a triathlon.

date : September 4, 2004
author : surfking
Triathlons - Not an Ordinary Workout