General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lory XTerra Postponed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-23 2:55 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Subject: Lory XTerra Postponed
Bummer...I can't make the new date.

------------------------------------
IMMEDIATE CHANGES TO XTERRA LORY TRIATHLON: Dear athletes we regret to inform you that next week the XTERRA Lory Triathlon scheduled for Saturday June 1st has been postponed due to extreme circumstances. As many of you know this past March (3/5/2013) the Galena Fire spread through Lory State Park, ravaging the main interior portion of the park. All 10x bridges on the East Valley and West Valley Trails were completely burnt to the ground. During the month of April we worked with park staff to assist on recovery efforts through volunteer days. Those familiar with the course know that 6 bridges on the East and West Valley Trails are directly on the bike course, while the remaining 4x bridges impact the run course. The incredible snow fall for the month of April was a huge boost to the vegetation of the park and rebuilding efforts were on track for new bridge construction. On May 15th, the park was still on track for full bridge reconstruction by Memorial Day Weekend. However, on the afternoon of Tuesday the 21st, our staff was called in for an emergency meeting. Due to unforeseen budget issues bridge construction has been delayed with construction now slated for mid-June with all State Dept issues resolved.

POTENTIAL OPTIONS FOR JUNE: We worked with park staff about the possibility of a one week delay and a re-route of the lower portion of the run course. However, the most critical bridges to the mountain bike course at the south end of the park, with no option for a re-route, are the last to be constructed per State Dept Schedules.

POSTPONED TO SATURDAY AUG 10TH: The Park Staff has been amazing and given us a wide open slate for a rescheduled event. We have decided on Aug 10th for a few reasons: this date is 2 weeks prior to XTERRA Buffalo Creek and 2 weeks following XTERRA Indian Peaks; Aug 10th will also have warmer water temperatures along with higher water levels than we've experienced in 2011 and 2012; water levels have historically dropped significantly between Aug 11th-25th.

WHAT HAPPENS NOW: Please know that our staff feels your frustrations with these last minute changes. I know many of you will be upset and disappointed at the news. Moving forward we're presenting athletes with a few options. Option A) If you're okay with Aug 10th you don't have to do anything and your registration will be automatically moved. Option B) We can roll your entry to either XTERRA Curt Gowdy or XTERRA Buffalo Creek until these events are sold out. Currently Curt Gowdy has 11 slots remaining and Buffalo Creek has 48 slots remaining. Option C) We'll issue a full refund. While this news fall within 15 days of the event our staff feels in this situation our #1 priority is the athlete given these unfortunate circumstances. Please e-mail [email protected] by Saturday June 1st if you'd like to exercise option B or C.

COMMUNICATION: Please call your friends that are racing and let them know the recent news. We thank you for your patience and understanding during this situation. Come Aug 10th you can still expect a great event, a challenging course, and some great stories to share with your race buddies.

2013-05-23 6:50 PM
in reply to: indianhillsted

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edgewater, CO
Subject: RE: Lory XTerra Postponed
Yikes this has not been a good past few weeks for Colorado races. Let's hope the trend stops with this one!

2013-05-23 7:36 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
Yeah, I'm bummed about this one also. I was really looking forward to my first race of the year. I can make the Aug date but being a week before PPM may change how hard I race.
Xterra 4 corners was still open as of this morning. A long drive from the front range though.

Without Limits is having some bad luck this year.

Happy training.
2013-05-23 8:06 PM
in reply to: newt

User image

Have you looked into the Indian Peaks Xterra? Nice and close, and my neighbor ran the 10K that accompanies it last summer. He said it was a race he'll definitely do again.
2013-05-24 9:01 AM
in reply to: dr100

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs
Yes, I have looked at Indian Peaks. I did a MSC mtn bike race there a few years ago, they have some nice trails.
The problem is, is that there is never enough time to do all the races that I want.
2013-05-24 5:12 PM
in reply to: newt

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

tbeal and I drove up to Lory on Tuesday to pre-ride/run the course.  We didn't get 100 yards onto the bike course before we ran into trail closures.  Basically 90% of the bike trails are closed because the footbridges were burned out.  We didn't even try to run as we knew it would be more of the same.

The crappy thing is that on the way out, we asked the park ranger about the race and he already knew the race was going to postponed until August 10th.  That would have been some valuable info as we drove two hours one way for a wasted day. 

2013-05-26 8:56 AM
in reply to: FF Stock

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by FF Stock

tbeal and I drove up to Lory on Tuesday to pre-ride/run the course.  We didn't get 100 yards onto the bike course before we ran into trail closures.  Basically 90% of the bike trails are closed because the footbridges were burned out.  We didn't even try to run as we knew it would be more of the same.

The crappy thing is that on the way out, we asked the park ranger about the race and he already knew the race was going to postponed until August 10th.  That would have been some valuable info as we drove two hours one way for a wasted day. 

Just FYI, there's a pretty good closure map on the Lory State Park website. I was going to head up last weekend, and checked.
http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Parks/Lory/...
2013-05-26 10:39 AM
in reply to: Moonrocket

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Moonrocket
Originally posted by FF Stock

Just FYI, there's a pretty good closure map on the Lory State Park website. I was going to head up last weekend, and checked. http://www.parks.state.co.us/SiteCollectionImages/parks/Parks/Lory/...

I hadn't even considered it.  I guess I thought ten days out from the race, the course would be good to go

2013-05-26 4:26 PM

User image

Colorado
On the brighter side, the vegetation seems to be coming back very quickly.
2013-05-26 10:04 PM
in reply to: delosh

User image

Extreme Veteran
Yes it was amazing to see lush grass growing amongst burned Yucca plants.  It's a beautiful park with the bays jutting in and out.  I'm looking forward to the race and the new date actually works better for me...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lory XTerra Postponed Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Denver Triathlon Postponed??

Started by andrewpitts
Views: 2144 Posts: 14

2013-05-13 10:32 AM Moonrocket

XTerra Lory

Started by indianhillsted
Views: 2006 Posts: 9

2012-08-30 1:25 PM RajaZoie

Xterra Lory State Park-available place

Started by dacienrio
Views: 758 Posts: 1

2011-07-11 5:10 PM dacienrio

Boulder Marathon Postponed until Oct 3rd

Started by erodda
Views: 805 Posts: 1

2010-09-18 9:20 PM erodda

Boulder Sunset Triathlons Postponed!

Started by FF Stock
Views: 2883 Posts: 18

2010-09-20 9:47 PM FF Stock
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 20, 2007
author : Lorenzomtb
comments : 1
Immediately I felt attracted by the challenge. I have done plenty of biking this summer and a new motivation, particularly toward the end of the summer, was what I needed.

date : September 3, 2006
author : morgoth7
My 1st triathlon, Xterra and the mess I made of myself. This wasn’t your regular triathlon, it was off-road.
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.
date : September 1, 2004
author : TriSports.com
comments : 0
Wetsuit guide for triathletes - manufacturers, sizing and maintenance.