General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aching burning ankles... help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-23 10:16 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Aching burning ankles... help!

Hi everyone,

I started ramping up my mileage... but minding the 10% rule and a few days ago I started getting some decent aching and burning right at my ankles on the inside of the ankle (above the arch).  I have been able to tolerate some short runs but then the rest of the day it aches and burns and feels horrible.  When I walk, my ankles just feel tight and my feet a bit tender.  Anyone know what this is and what I can do about it?  I would hate to do some decent damage but I want to keep on training!

Thanks!

2013-05-24 12:41 AM
in reply to: crea0029

Subject: RE: Aching burning ankles... help!
Overuse injury, rest until it doesn't hurt. Decrease load. Build up EVEN MORE SLOWLY. Ice. Stretch (after it is done healing). Especially stretch calves...like many ankle/foot injuries chronically tight calves can be a cause.

I'm just coming back from similar injury. Now, I wear shoes with more support. I also stretch my calves and feet a lot. Swimming can aggrevate foot there also.
2013-05-24 1:19 AM

User image

Regular
Madrid
Sounds like could be the beginning of PF. Speaking from experience I'd say ignore this at your own risk. Stretch a lot- before after and during the course of the day. Ice- a lot. Check your shoes. Make sure they are max cushiony. And I'm pretty sure you don't want to hear this but consider running less distance with more frequency. Good luck.
2013-05-24 1:39 AM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
what running shoes are you wearing?

to me, it sounds like you have weak arches, and you will have to strengthen them.

I know this may go against the grain of some advice, but you might consider trying SuperFeet Orange insoles.

(the SuperFeet Green are a bit more stiff than the Orange).

As you develop your mileage and are running without ankle pain, then you might try substituting the original insoles and run a small percentage of your miles w/o the SuperFeet. Gradually building to running 100% on the original insoles.

Also how are you striking ? if you are heel striking, try to move to a mid-foot strike.
it will reduce the ankle stress.
2013-05-24 6:16 AM
in reply to: #4755144

Veteran
Niagara Region
I had same issue and completely solved the problem with a refocus on technique. I land with a midfoot strick and started to get sloppy, with a small heal strike and my ankle didn't like it. So I slowed down and refocused on landing midfoot. . I use chi running and re read the book and worked on his drills. Now when I run I focus on the key points of chi running and it's awesome again.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aching burning ankles... help! Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Help me with my HED-ache!

Started by hardidu
Views: 880 Posts: 3

2012-04-22 9:34 AM ratherbeswimming

Ankle Help pls..training for 1/2 marathon

Started by nicecat13
Views: 923 Posts: 5

2011-02-28 9:23 PM nicecat13

Aching foot/ankle question

Started by davidschmaus
Views: 627 Posts: 4

2010-08-16 1:47 PM davidschmaus

Crash and burn Mav, crash and burn!

Started by cwsiii
Views: 2804 Posts: 19

2008-03-24 10:10 AM jamesehatcher

Clipless Pedals = Quad Burn? Need some help

Started by OldAg92
Views: 1226 Posts: 7

2005-03-22 12:23 PM trimary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 25, 2010
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
I did more therapy, more stretches, more exercises and stopped running for over six months. I am just coming back to triathlon after a year off due to this ankle injury.

date : December 20, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on Weight Watchers, eating out, peanut butter, agave nectar, not wanting to count calories and replacing calories burned by working out.
date : May 25, 2009
In the fall I was running on some trails and rolled my ankle pretty bad. I took a few weeks off from running and let it heal. Every so often, my ankle feels swollen, or off.

date : April 14, 2008
Since my last marathon (October, 2007), the area below my right kneecap towards the outside of my leg (but not the ITB) aches every time I run, especially afterwards.
date : September 3, 2006
Near the end of one of my long runs, I noticed my left hip aching. There was a slight pop with each step. The hip was sore for 2 days after the run.

date : July 3, 2006
They are comfortable, but on longer runs the ball of my foot starts to heat up. I actually had to STOP, take off the shoe, massage my foot. This would help for a while, but the pain usually returned.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Have no fear, there are things you can do. Even the worst of kickers can develop an adequate kick for freestyle, which is all you need for a triathlon swim.

date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Most of us in the triathlon world are concerned with more than just fat burning. There are certain situations when it’s appropriate to use fins during a workout.