General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Won my first tri...maybe not...well just read on Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-26 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Won my first tri...maybe not...well just read on
Not sure if that is the right title I am looking for in this post. Yesterdays' race report link here. Read on.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Oh and to subdue any flames about knowing the course they had no maps of the course. This race is for a good cause though and I don't want anyone to be discouraged from doing it in the future. (big brother/big sisters)

2013-05-26 3:10 PM
in reply to: Bevie

User image

Expert
South Florida
Subject: RE: Won my first tri...maybe not...well just read on
I am pretty sure that is the first time I have ever read the phrase "punch a kitten mad"
Good stuff- congrats on a fast race.
2013-05-26 4:22 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I was somewhat sympathetic until I read the terms you used to describe the cop in your race report.

Pretty classless words on your part if you ask me.

And your argument about not having a course map doesn't carry much weight since you said you did the same race last year.

At the end of the day you are the one who screwed up.  Learn from it and move on.

Mark

2013-05-26 5:59 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Originally posted by RedCorvette

I was somewhat sympathetic until I read the terms you used to describe the cop in your race report.

And your argument about not having a course map doesn't carry much weight since you said you did the same race last year.

At the end of the day you are the one who screwed up.  Learn from it and move on.

Mark

Alright lets get one thing straight! I for one have no ILL WILL against cops in general. None at all! If it wasn't a cop there and just some random guy and I called him a bung hole then I guess it would be alright?!? My uncle was a cop. My cousin is a cop, I have friends that are cops. I do a race every year that is in honor of a slain cop! In no way shape or form am I discriminating against the men and woman in blue! This said cop was blocking the road we were suppose to go on. Plain and simple he screwed up myself and another's race due to him blocking the road and talking on his cell phone at the time to boot!

Yes I did do the race last year. Do you remember every route of every race you have done?

I am moving on Mark. Obviously my comment offended you and for that I am sorry.
2013-05-26 6:25 PM

User image

What was classless about his comments? They seemed pretty mild to me. And it sounds like the cop f'd up a very basic task as much as humanly possible.
2013-05-26 6:45 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
I just googled the event website, and they have the maps of the course there. It took me about 30 seconds to find the maps of the course. Had you looked at it, I can't understand how you DIDN'T know the course. The two loops are consecutive left hand turns on rural roads. There are no streets in between that you could have even used. (ETA: I suppose I could have been confused by the cop blocking the road you're supposed to turn on). It's doubly hard to understand given that you did the race last year. I DO remember every course of every race I've done. Technically, since you went through town and didn't double back and follow the prescribed course, you should have been disqualified.

One of those unwritten rules of triathlon is "know the course." That may even be a written rule, I don't know. Even if you are the race leader and the fastest guy out there, it's YOUR job, not some unpaid volunteer or local police officer's job, to know and understand the course prior to the race. This happens all the time in races, and it shows up in race reports here on BT, and even in the race reports of professionals, that they sometimes take a wrong turn or miss a turn. It's understandable that you were upset during the race, but most people are more modest in hindsight once they reflect on what happen. Race execution isn't just about being the fastest guy out there. Congrats on great, fast times, but you didn't win.The guy who won the race WON THE RACE. He finished the prescribed course in the shortest time. By definition, he won the race. You finished second, not first as your race report notes. Maybe tone is hard to infer just from reading your report, but I'm almost surprised you didn't take the first place trophy from the women who collected it for the guy who won.

Better luck in your next race

Edited by rdailey1 2013-05-26 6:54 PM

2013-05-26 7:44 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
Originally posted by Bevie

Mark

Alright lets get one thing straight! I for one have no ILL WILL against cops in general. None at all! If it wasn't a cop there and just some random guy and I called him a bung hole then I guess it would be alright?!? My uncle was a cop. My cousin is a cop, I have friends that are cops. I do a race every year that is in honor of a slain cop! In no way shape or form am I discriminating against the men and woman in blue! This said cop was blocking the road we were suppose to go on. Plain and simple he screwed up myself and another's race due to him blocking the road and talking on his cell phone at the time to boot! Yes I did do the race last year. Do you remember every route of every race you have done? I am moving on Mark. Obviously my comment offended you and for that I am sorry.

Want some cheese with that whine?

I've never done a race where the police were expected to act as course marshalls.  They are there to control traffic and protect the riders.  Did it ever occur to you that maybe the RD didn't correctly communicate the course layout information correctly to the LEO's before you threw them under the bus?  Apparently not.

I've done races over the years that were screwed up, and if it's bad enough I just don't do the race again.  That includes some specific RD's who I know consistently cut corners (no pun intended). 

And to answer your question, yes I can probably remember most of the race courses I've done over the last ten years.  Then again, I try to prepare by studying the course map or by plotting it myself on Map-My-Ride or some other software.  When I can I try to either ride or drive the course ahead of time.   

Dude, I'm not saying that no one else didn't screw up in your situation, but at the end of the day it's back on you.  Pointing fingers at everyone else doesn't change any of that.

Mark 

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-05-26 8:10 PM
2013-05-26 8:01 PM

User image

LOL, but were you mad?

Hey, my .02, which is worth exactly .02, is that you should know the course.  Every turn. *Especially* if you are fast enough to be in front of everyone, which you obviously are.  It's happened to pros before, who actually make a living and don't end up with a $4 medal for a first place

And this is just me, but I post the official results in my race reports, not the results I get from Garmin, or where I think I should be.  Long way of saying if it were my race report, I certainly would not list myself as 1/XX unless I was on the top podium

Just re read the conclusion.  These words are important "sometimes sportsmanship is dead anymore."  Take them to heart, but not n the way you wrote them

Edited by ChrisM 2013-05-26 8:03 PM
2013-05-26 8:18 PM

User image

Mark

He didn't win, he took second.
2013-05-26 11:31 PM

Sorry champ but you got beat. Official time is what matters.
2013-05-27 6:36 AM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Be grateful you weren't DQ'd, because technically you should have been for not reentering the course at the same place you left it. Consider it an educational experience and move on.

2013-05-27 7:59 AM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Thank you for the humility. It's what was needed.

I know I can learn from this and move forward.
2013-05-27 8:02 AM
in reply to: ChrisM

User image

Master
Sin City
Originally posted by ChrisM

And this is just me, but I post the official results in my race reports, not the results I get from Garmin, or where I think I should be.  Long way of saying if it were my race report, I certainly would not list myself as 1/XX unless I was on the top podium

Just re read the conclusion.  These words are important "sometimes sportsmanship is dead anymore."  Take them to heart, but not n the way you wrote them

I usually shut my mouth about these things. But I just had to say a little something. I can't believe you have the b*lls to say in your Race Report that you "won" first place in everything. You didn't. This was OBVIOUSLY a very small race, and I bet way before you even raced that you *knew* that you were going to be first place, and raced a small race just so you can reach that "coveted" prize, "I won a Triathlon!" So what there was a little mistake, suck it up and move on. It's not like there's a monetary prize or anything. You're not a Pro.

Nice to know that your arrogant ego is more important than a Non-profit organization that part of your entrance fee is going towards for. Did you read the Info page? read again carefully....

Embodying the line of the Jaycee Creed which states “Earth’s great treasure lies in human personality.
2013-05-27 8:11 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Bevie Thank you for the humility. It's what was needed. I know I can learn from this and move forward.

It's all cool.  No doubt that you're a talented triathlete and will get a "clean" win eventually.

Good luck with your IMWI training. 

Mark

Edited by RedCorvette 2013-05-27 8:29 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Won my first tri...maybe not...well just read on Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Do or Not Do or maybe just Tri...

Started by pbreed
Views: 586 Posts: 2

2012-07-07 3:04 PM jaelinfunk

When is a win not a win?

Started by BrianRunsPhilly
Views: 1699 Posts: 16

2012-04-15 9:11 AM BrianRunsPhilly

Best First (read not too expensive) Bike Computer to pair with Garmin 310

Started by NewClydesdale
Views: 1498 Posts: 9

2011-05-06 3:42 PM rsmoylan

Winning my first Tri (sort of)

Started by Then&Now
Views: 974 Posts: 9

2007-09-04 10:10 AM CitySky

First season of tri's maybe to many

Started by PDA
Views: 468 Posts: 3

2007-02-12 8:22 AM ChineseDemocracy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 18, 2012
author : Khorwohock
comments : 14
I have always wanted to do a triathlon to keep myself fit, and now I had my chance.

date : April 13, 2010
author : kcowart
comments : 11
I have always been an athlete, growing up playing team sports like basketball and soccer. I also ran in a couple of 10K races every year, so I had no reason to worry about running a 5K...right?
date : February 23, 2009
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
I usually have at least one workout per day, sometimes two or three, but I spend about all in-between time eating. I am not gaining weight, but I am not losing weight either. Should I be concerned?

date : January 15, 2008
author : MLT1
comments : 4
The triathletes really inspired me. I watched them in awe as childlike thoughts went through my head like, "I want to do that!" But then reality set in. “Who are you kidding?
date : October 9, 2007
author : She-Ra
comments : 12
I never imagined that 350 yards broken down into 7 REALLY long lanes would be so big! I gasped out loud and told Grady that maybe I had underestimated the swim.

date : February 7, 2007
author : Angie M
comments : 4
In the past 18 months, I have delivered two babies, had meningitis, broken my pelvis, had two surgeries, worked full time, AND completed my first triathlon!
date : November 27, 2005
author : spetremears
9 weeks after my first bike ride, 5 months after my first swim and 13 months after my surgery I entered the Nelson week Tri a Tri !

date : September 3, 2005
author : aloufan
I couldn't believe that my splits kept getting lower! I started to run harder after I passed the "5 km" sign and picked a few people that I wanted to pass.