General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Heat question: HR or RPE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-07-15 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago and therabouts
Subject: Another Heat question: HR or RPE

Ok,  here is another running in heat question, that im sure has been asked before.  Today, in the 90+ heat and humidity, HR spiked to 180...On my LT run, only peaked at 176.  Usually run z2 at  hr 147-156.  Avg 8:15-8:30 pace. Today...HR crept from 168---to 180 running at about 9:30-10:00 min pace. My perceived exertion wasnt that bad (initially). But got scared with the 180 HR and started to walk.. Then when recovered, ran again. Kept doing a run/walk thing for a while...then started to really feel the heat and walked shamefully home.  I was hydrated well pre-run and took in almost 18 oz of sportdrink in first 30 minutes of run, so dehydration wasnt an issue (yet).

What do people go by in the heat.  IF the weather holds out, got a half IM nextweekend in this stuff.  My thought  is to go by RPE more than HR but but it still kind of weird to see it in Z4 land for 13 miles. 

Thanks,

JT

2006-07-15 3:41 PM
in reply to: #483538

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Subject: RE: Another Heat question: HR or RPE

Heart rate is usually higher when it is really hot so I go by perceived effort when I'm running in the heat.  I'll still take my HR monitor because it will still tell you if you are not going hard enough.

I don't find the heat effects my heart rate much, if at all, on the bike though.  I suppose this is because going at speed means you have the fast moving air to cool you down.

2006-07-15 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
Oops, forgot to say that even at the same perceived effort you will probably run slower when it is hot so don't try and use your normal pace as a guide to how fast you should be going.
2006-07-15 4:03 PM

User image

I think Danny hit the nail on the head regarding your question.....

Something you can do between now and next week to get your body to handle the high/humid temps better, is stay out of the air conditiong as much as possible, don't use the ac in your car or at least keep the temp turned up as much as possible.  Yah I know it doesn't sound like much fun, but if you do this as much as possible for the next week, it will make your HIM at lot more comfortable tolerable.

Good Luck and enjoy your HIM!!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Another Heat question: HR or RPE Rss Feed