Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OWS in the Kitchener Waterloo area... what do folks do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-27 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Subject: OWS in the Kitchener Waterloo area... what do folks do?
Hey... I know there are a number of KW-area folks, and I know I asked this last year, but given my pathetic excuse for a "swim" (more like a panic attack in neoprene aided to shore by the wake of all the swimmers going by) this past weekend, was just wondering how folks are doing their OWS practices? Do you belong to a group or club? Do you go with organized groups? Where do you go? Do you do the pool noodle tied to your waist with a bystander on shore? I've got 6 weeks and pretty much no budget to figure out a new strategy before I try not to drown myself in Peterborough, and I'm on my own here... I don't train with anyone or any groups. I've now bombed my OWS twice, and I'm not looking to make it a hattrick if at all possible. I'm doing tons of reading on how others have worked through the head games. but really, I need to get out in the lakes and figure this out. Throw your ideas this way!!

2013-05-28 6:24 AM
in reply to: pilot_e

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: OWS in the Kitchener Waterloo area... what do folks do?
I've swam at quelph lake before - they have a bouy line and I have just swam back and forth on the other side of the buoy line before.

Now that I live in Woodstock, there is a group that sometimes practices at pittock, not sure where in KW you are, but it might not be that far of a drive. If they meet again to swim in the lake this summer I will let you know (with the cool water, it should be safe to swim there a little longer.
2013-05-28 9:00 AM

Master
Kitchener
Guelph Lake is a good suggestion. That is where we did our OWS when we first started triathlon. Gives you some good practice with swimming in big waves as well, on a windy day.

We swim at Gulliver's now, a small, clean, spring fed lake that many triathletes frequent. It is about 400 meters long and not very wide. You can swim around the lake staying close to the shore line.

Also swim with the C3 Open water swim series on Wed night, but there is a cost and a long drive. However, really simulates race day with mass wave start and lots of people.

Unfortunately, everything requires a bit of a drive to get there.

Good luck on your next event.
2013-05-28 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4758254

User image

Kelso ( Milton triathlon lake at Glen Eden ski hill has an open water swim group that meet Saturday morning and Thursday night - all levels of swimmers - probably a bit of a trek for you though.
2013-05-28 4:06 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Hello "Slow but Happy'
Can you shed more light on the Thursday swim (at Kelso) - our group goes on Wednesday nights in Burlington / Lake Ontario (Beach Park Pavilion) but it never seems to work for me

Thursday evenings would be better for the family schedule - here is that time factor coming out again ;-)
Cost, times, etc.

Hope the water / air is warmer this Sunday for the Milton event

Thank you in advance --

Jean

Edited by JTTRIHRD 2013-05-28 4:07 PM
2013-05-29 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4758254

User image

Hi Jean I just googled them and their website doesn't seem to be operational at the moment. they do have a Facebook page though - Kelso Open Water Swimming - which indicates swims are on Thursday night from 6-8 pm starting tomorrow . I would check it out and message the group to find out what the joining fees are etc - normally you have to be an OAT member too. I swam at Kelso this morning and it was a little chilly! Glad I purchased a neoprene hood earlier this year! Jo

2013-05-30 11:01 AM

User image

Cambridge, Ontario
I'm in Cambridge, and Scottish so bloody cheap!

I will occasionally pay the GRCA fee to swim at Shade's Mill, Guelph Lake, Rockwood, or even Laurel Creek, but if I just want to dodge in for a few minutes I'll head to Puslinch Tract (off County Road 32 just South of the 401) or hit Puslinch Lake - if you park at the Marina Restaurant there's a small dock and noone has ever tried to stop me from suiting up and splashing about there. I suppose I provide entertainment for the diners on the patio!
2013-05-30 12:14 PM
in reply to: mistressk

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
Good to know... my husband loves that restaurant. Maybe i'll set him up with lunch and I'll take a dip. Thinking Laurel Creek (shudder) is where its at... can bike there in 5 mins from work, swim over lunch, shower at work and back in my seat in under an hour. But its Laurel Creek... ew...
2013-06-18 6:50 PM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

I live in Woodstock and am looking to do some open water work... Does anyone know anything about the group that swims out of Pittock? Its a nice big reservoir that I always thought was too polluted to swim in, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » OWS in the Kitchener Waterloo area... what do folks do? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bikefest in Kitchener, Sunday May 26th

Started by TheCrownsOwn
Views: 733 Posts: 1

2013-05-24 5:46 AM TheCrownsOwn

LG Rocket Air TT Helmet for sale - Kitchener area

Started by camjlittle
Views: 1706 Posts: 3

2013-05-22 7:56 AM camjlittle

Kitchener Mud Puppy Race - Anyone do it today?

Started by tristar1
Views: 811 Posts: 1

2010-05-02 6:05 PM tristar1

Lance Armstrong will be riding in Kitchener

Started by sty
Views: 788 Posts: 1

2008-04-28 11:47 AM sty

Anyone doing Guelph Lake I this coming weekend?

Started by TimmyMay
Views: 1097 Posts: 11

2006-06-26 4:36 PM neweyma
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.
date : December 24, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussions on indoor cycling drills such as one legged drills and power intervals. Also we discuss how many half Ironman races should be done before your first full Ironman.

date : October 7, 2008
author : Coach AJ
I'm going to let you in on how to get faster by doing nothing. Well, not exactly nothing, but you won't have to raise your heart rate, put out 300 watts, or really even break a sweat.
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
author : Ron
Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.