General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-05-30 4:48 PM

User image

Subject: Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan
Hello everyone,

I'm new to BeginnerTriathlete.com, and I've just started training for my very first Adventure Race and plan on knocking some Tri's out along the way. I'm currently 145 pounds, 24 years of age, run often. I would like some opinions/improvements on my training scheduled I've crafted in preparation for the upcoming races.

-May 28th
Long Run (8-13mi)

-May 29th
Road Ride (16-25mi)
Gym (Upper & Core)

-May 30th
Run (4-5mi)
Swim Laps (10-15 minutes)

-May 31st
Run (3mi warmup / 8x200 Hills)
Ride (16-30mi)

-June 1st
Run (5-6mi)
Gym (Full Body)

-June 2nd
Run (4-5mi)
Swim (10-15 minutes)

-June 3rd
Run (4-5mi)
Gym (Core & Lower)

-June 4th
Long Run (8-10mi)

-June 5th
Road Ride (17-26mi)
Gym (Upper & Core)

These are a few days out of my schedule, If you need any other information please feel free to ask.

Edited by ShaneSchwarzman 2013-05-30 4:50 PM

2013-06-01 7:52 AM
in reply to: ShaneSchwarzman

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan
You might have more luck with getting a reply if you posted this on the tri-talk forum. The Athena Clydesdale forum is for us bigger athletes (it used to be females over 150 and males over 200, but USAT changed the weight limits last year and I can't remember what they are (I'm Canadian and we don't have the weight classes here anymore).

The information posted below is good - but we need to know what distance you are training for. Also, are you planning on doing the adventure racing solo or as part of a team?

Looks like your plan is run heavy with no paddling (for adventure racing) and not much cycling. you have road cycling and cycling listed differently - is the "cycling" mtn biking? you will definitely need to practice that before doing any adventure racing. Most of them have atleast some off-road single track in them. 10-15 minutes o flaps twice a week isn't going to get you where you need to be with triathlons unless you are just doing a mini-tri or come from a very strong swim background (i.e., former competitive racer). I would think you need AT A MINIMUM 30 minutes twice a week for a short course tri and as the distance gets longer, significantly more.

Welcome to BT.
2013-06-03 11:49 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

User image

Subject: RE: Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan
Thanks for the reply.

As far as cycling goes it's a mixture of both mountain and road as I'm currently trying to establish a base. As far as swimming goes, I'm going to take your advice into account and add in more training time for that. The paddling is difficult to accomplish at the moment as I currently don't own a kayak or canoe, I'm using a lot of my gym time working on rows, shoulders, and core to help build a base their as well. As for the distance the first Tri I plan on completing will be a mini, and the adventure race I will be completing solo.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Question about my Tri/Adventure Race Training Plan

Started by ShaneSchwarzman
Views: 4 Posts: 1

2013-05-30 4:39 PM ShaneSchwarzman

Question about training plans

Started by asgate99
Views: 1565 Posts: 12

2010-06-15 3:31 PM browncd

Sprints Races as training tools for longer races?

Started by b2673ad
Views: 1285 Posts: 4

2009-10-19 9:37 AM rcav8r

NEED A TRAINING PLAN FOR A TRY A TRI

Started by amc2sitel
Views: 1434 Posts: 3

2009-04-16 2:24 PM ratherbesnowboarding

Training plans for the masses

Started by hjmiii
Views: 1356 Posts: 9

2007-07-24 7:14 AM SunnyS
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season

date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.
date : February 7, 2008
author : nxm165
comments : 1
Initial adventures of another 40-something entering the world of tri.

date : June 11, 2007
author : MegL
comments : 2
So someone convinced you to get off the couch and truck-it to the finish line. Now what? Here's a look at the process from admiring others to inspiring others.
date : June 4, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 1
Information compiled on various plans from the most common user questions.

date : May 1, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
I'm in decent shape and have no weight to lose but have absolutely no tri experience, what’s the best plan of attack that won't put me back in the waiting room?
date : July 17, 2005
author : Brandon Heflin
So how do you plan for a season? Below, I’ve created a simple five step process to use as a primer for season planning.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.