General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2006-07-16 9:48 AM

User image

Regular
Bay Area, Cali
Subject: Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR
Okay, I have a really dumb question...forgive me in advance, but I have to ask. Its just one of those things....

When I get out of the pool and pull my swim cap off, my hair is a matted mess. Its wet, looks ridiculous and its knotted and all over the place. I am not going to relish the idea of having to do this, but I need to run a brush through it at the very least before I put my bike helmet on in T1.

Am I going to look like a prima donna in the transition area, or to other people have to tend to such grooming as well? BTW, it is in a pony tail to reduce the crazy mass of hair, but it still requires a once through with a brush.....

2006-07-16 9:57 AM
in reply to: #483806

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
Subject: RE: Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR
LMAO! Well, I have to say first, as a girl, it's okay to WANT to brush your hair at T1.  Secondly, as a triathlete, I would say " Why the heck is that girl brushing her hair at T1??" Then, another sensible girl/triathlete side would say -  Wet your hair, put conditioner on it and leave it in, brush it back into a ponytail and -- walaa-- you will take off your cap at T1 and it will look perfectly coiffed. I don't know if this will work!
2006-07-16 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut

I wouldn't worry about whether it seems "prima donnish".  Really, anyone who criticizes what you are doing during the transition couldn't be very serious about their own race, since the serious people will be in and out of the transition area too quickly to even notice.  

But I do wonder if there isn't an alternative that could take less time and energy for you.  Perhaps if you braided your hair or put it up some other way so that matting wasn't an issue.  Also, you could try putting conditioner in before the swim and leaving it there.  Your hair wouldn't dry pretty, but it might at least keep it from tangling out of control.

2006-07-16 10:31 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

I'd figure something else out.  Maybe braid it?

I mean, once your hair is under the helmet, no one is going to see it.

Here's what I do.  Low ponytail (which gets most of my hair but not the shorter pieces around my face.  I twist the ponytail on my head, and put the swim cap on over it.

T1 - Take off swim cap, hair is all over the place, I tilt my head back, push all the hair back and put my bike helmet on top.  Voila, hair is hidden.

T2 - Take off bike helmet, repeat procedure with run cap.  Hair is still not visible.  I like to move the ponytail somewhere during the run, and put it through the hole in the back of the cap, but that's just me.  This strategy didn't work so well at my last tri when I was busy putting ice in my cap to keep my head cool.

My hair was awful by the end - but no one saw it anyway, so who cares.  Then I dealt with it later.

2006-07-16 12:03 PM

User image

molto veloce mama
when i'm racing i don't want to have to think about much of anything, least of all my hair. still, it is past my shoulders and can be a bit unruly (i'd cut it all off, but my girls love playing with it). the morning of the race, i brush out my hair after spraying it down w/ aveda damage control (that stuff is awesome) and/or put in a layer of leave in conditioner, and then put it in either a braid or a simple bun secured w/ a goody stay put hair band (these things RULE: http://www.goody.com/Html/StayPut/Flash/index.html).t1, off goes the swim cap, and on goes the helmet. no one sees my hair. t2, off goes the helmet, and on goes the hat or visor, no one sees my hair. if my hair is scary frizzy mess after the race i might comb it out then, but sometimes i too busy finding my family, eating, and being happy to be done to think twice about my hair and will just keep my hat on until i get home and shower.

Edited by autumn 2006-07-16 12:04 PM
2006-07-16 1:16 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I have to braid my hair.  But I have really really long hair and it gets in my face if I don't.

By the end of the race, I basically have one long dreadlock.  It's annoying, but I don't care.

Conditioner before the swim cap goes on is great, and that's what I do during training.  And, yes, I do take some conditioner with me to the race.  I use it for helping me get my wetsuit on and off, instead of Body Glide or Pam.  It works wonders.  And I smell like flowers all day. 

2006-07-16 1:22 PM

User image

Cheese Country
I use a do-rag. At T1 leave a do-rag to wrap my hair in.. it does a few things, keeps sweat under control while riding and running as well as hides the horrible "do"!

Have fun!
2006-07-16 1:46 PM
in reply to: #483881

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Yep, bandana for me. After the swim, I pull on my do-rag and plunk my helmet on. After the bike, I take the do-rag off and put on a hat. No one has to see my awful hair.

Pattie
2006-07-16 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA
My hair is just past my shoulders. I braid it before the swim so it sits in the swim cap and pokes out the back of the helmet just fine. for the run, I use a visor which keeps it and the sun out of my face.
2006-07-16 4:12 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
CarenM - 2006-07-16 9:48 AM Okay, I have a really dumb question...forgive me in advance, but I have to ask. Its just one of those things.... When I get out of the pool and pull my swim cap off, my hair is a matted mess. Its wet, looks ridiculous and its knotted and all over the place. I am not going to relish the idea of having to do this, but I need to run a brush through it at the very least before I put my bike helmet on in T1. Am I going to look like a prima donna in the transition area, or to other people have to tend to such grooming as well? BTW, it is in a pony tail to reduce the crazy mass of hair, but it still requires a once through with a brush.....

YEEESSSS!

Of course you are free to do it if will help you race more comfortable, but come on, everyone's hair will be all messed up, people will be all sweaty and 99% will be wearing spandex or revealing outfits and some will be racing with pee on their socks/shoes! I am sure you can live without brushing your hair for a few hrs
2006-07-16 4:13 PM
in reply to: #483878

User image

molto veloce mama
hey! that is an AWESOME idea!!!

2006-07-16 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
New Orleans
I say if you don't mind losing the minute or two to do this, why not? If you're not racing to beat other competitors and your personal goals allow, do what you want to make your race more enjoyable. You paid the entry fee, it's your time to do what you see fit. It's all about having fun on race day.
2006-07-16 4:39 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
My hair is just past my shoulders and I weirdly have the same problem at the pool but not nearly as much with open water swims. I recently tried the conditioner trick and it does work a little better but it's not a magical solution. I put my hair in a pony tail for the swim and pull the swim cap over it. When I'm getting out of the water I pull the cap off as I run to TI. I'm sure there's some mess, but I don't really care. And I've never heard anyone say, "My God, look at that woman's hair!"

Once I'm in transition, I have pretty much the same drill as everyone else. Slide the pony tail down low enough I can get the helmet on. T2-take off the helmet and put on the hat. I usually don't take off the hat or bother with my hair until I get home. You could run a brush through it right after the race though if you wanted/needed to.

All that said, we all have our weird quirks (check out the triathlon training quirks thread) and you should do whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and confident about your race. If that's taking 15 seconds to run a brush through your hair, then do it. Whatever you decide, good luck to you (and everyone else) with your season.
2006-07-16 4:48 PM
in reply to: #483978

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area, CA

kmarzano - Slide the pony tail down low enough I can get the helmet on.

My helmet has a handy opening high in the back that I can pull my braid through so I don't fuss with my hair at all from the moment I tie the braid off before the swim to the time I jump in the shower.

http://www.giro.com/usa/cyc_pneumo.html

2006-07-16 6:15 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Before my first tri I felt the same way. During my forst tri- I could have cared less. Really the last thing I needed to worry about- I definitly threw on my babseball cap when I was donebut tdidnt worry about y mop during
2006-07-16 7:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'm all about the braids. Usually 2 french braids on either side of my head works wonders. Shove the ends up under the swim cap, then in T1 just pull it off and it should be flat enough to stick under your helmet. If you're like me and don't love braids wacking you when you run, you can also hair-elastic the ends together into a braid ponytail thing in T2 to make it more comfortable for the run. Good luck with it though - I totally sympathize with all other long-haired triathletes

Megz

2006-07-16 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Minnesota
I agree with the braids - if my hair was a bit longer that is the route I would take!
2006-07-16 8:32 PM
in reply to: #484148

User image

Veteran
Worcester, MA
a long haired friend of mine does the double-french-braids thing.

my hair is too short for that, but I live by those goody stay-put headbands to keep the wispies out of my face. I just whomp my hair into one or more short, stubby ponytails that fit under my helmet and still allow a visor for running. not pretty... but hey, most people pass me pretty quickly.
2006-07-16 9:08 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Its okay to brush your hair in T! but make sure you carry the lipstick in the bento box and apply once your riding your bike. ))))

Edited by Manatee Express 2006-07-16 9:09 PM
2006-07-17 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
san francisco, ca

i second (3rd, 4th?) the braids/pigtails method.  like madkat, i end up with a wierd braided dreadlock (well, two actually) by the end, but it fits under my helmet okay and doesn't bother me during the run.  and i have a LOT of hair (mid-back, thick).

why not try a few new styles and see what works best?  if you can't find anything to work, then brush as you planned.

2006-07-17 7:36 PM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
All the women need to have the long pony tail that swishes around so I can follow them on the run.

2006-07-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #485511

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Bluejack - 2006-07-17 4:36 PM All the women need to have the long pony tail that swishes around so I can follow them on the run.

Apparently he doesn't get that it's no so swishy and cute when it's a wet mess... we save that for the run-only races. 

I vote for the braid.  I mid-back length hair, and I went with the double french braid.  It's not my cutest look, but it was funtional and not completely unsightly.

We're Guuurrrrls.  We're totally allowed to worry about our hair. 

2006-07-18 12:51 PM
in reply to: #484184

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Manatee Express - 2006-07-16 10:08 PM

Its okay to brush your hair in T! but make sure you carry the lipstick in the bento box and apply once your riding your bike. ))))

LOL! Don't forget waterproof mascara!
I can't braid my hair its long but too many layers...but I do the multiple ponytail holders to keep the mess under control. another thing I do is the dunk head in water after taking swim cap off. It gets my hairs all going the same direction. Also pull your cap from the forehead to the back of your head.

I think i will invest in the 99 cent bandana "doo-rag" for my next couple of rides.
The visor works well for bang issues and to keep the sweat out of my eyes during the run, but the bike is where I get sweat in my eyes pretty badly.
Glad someone brought up this important topic...now can we talk about bikini waxing vs. shaving? I have a boil and it really hurts!
2006-07-18 1:08 PM

User image

Runner
Two words:

BUZZ CUT!!!!!

Seriously. Think about it. Works awesome.
2006-07-18 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
This thread is awesome! I have THICK, CURLY, shoulder length hair and I have been contemplating what to do with it for some time now. Ive never been one for braids, but it does seem like the best method. I understand wanting to brush it. It would be so uncomfortable to have a matted, knotted, mess under the helmet! I say do whatever you need to do to be comfortable. If you are not comfortable you will not be able to focus!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Ok, I know its girly...but lets talk HAIR Rss Feed  

of 2