Other Resources The Political Joe » Man in ladies room Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2013-06-04 9:23 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Subject: Man in ladies room

O.k., so first we had the student transgender and bathroom issue.  Now we have adults with the issue.  http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/restaurant-tells-woman-who-ran-into-cross-dresser-in-ladies-room-to-try-mens-room.html

What are your thoughts?  Are we too uptight?  Is this a sensitivity issue?  Whose rights should be protected?  I'm at a loss, don't know what to think.  I have many thoughts, but with an open mind can see both sides of the coin here.

So what would COJ do in this situation? 

2013-06-04 10:10 AM
in reply to: velocomp

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
Subject: RE: Man in ladies room
this is a silly statement:

“No dad or parent should have to wonder – is my little girl going into the women’s bathroom with men in there,” he said. “To have a man in the women’s bathroom is a dangerous thing. That’s just so wrong on so many levels.”

Either this guy thinks all men want to molest his daughter or all cross-dressers are child molesters.  Both which are ridiculous assumptions.

I personally wouldn't care - I think a transgender that truly identifies as a woman is welcome in my rest room.  A dude that is cross-dressing as a halloween costume or a dare can stick to their own bathroom.  I have to welcome boys as old as 7 or 8 in the women's room and can't challenge THAT. 

Side note - in Europe it's not unusual for there to be women's stalls and men's stalls sharing the same washroom area.  It's not that scary, I promise.

2013-06-04 11:03 AM
in reply to: mehaner

User image

Extreme Veteran
It may be a silly statement, but how do you know what that crossdresser or person's intentions truly are. It may be that they feel as if they are of that sex and wish to live as such in every possible way. Then again it may be a way to get close to a particular gender or age of person with malice intent. The fact is that some take on roles or positions for evil reasons, be it a boy scout leader, or whatever, it has happened and will continue too, so I don't believe it is wrong for a person to worry. I can tell you that here in Texas if the bathroom was clearly marked Ladies or Women's, that the subject would go to jail for Criminal Trespass, unless they have undergone a full sex change. I don't have a problem with our law, some of the fears might be misplaced, but some fears are based off past events.
2013-06-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete It may be a silly statement, but how do you know what that crossdresser or person's intentions truly are. It may be that they feel as if they are of that sex and wish to live as such in every possible way. Then again it may be a way to get close to a particular gender or age of person with malice intent. The fact is that some take on roles or positions for evil reasons, be it a boy scout leader, or whatever, it has happened and will continue too, so I don't believe it is wrong for a person to worry.

do you walk around in complete fear of everyone for everything?  that is why it's silly.  most people are good.  some are bad.  do you just assume all are bad because some are and some always will be?

2013-06-04 11:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mehaner

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete It may be a silly statement, but how do you know what that crossdresser or person's intentions truly are. It may be that they feel as if they are of that sex and wish to live as such in every possible way. Then again it may be a way to get close to a particular gender or age of person with malice intent. The fact is that some take on roles or positions for evil reasons, be it a boy scout leader, or whatever, it has happened and will continue too, so I don't believe it is wrong for a person to worry.

do you walk around in complete fear of everyone for everything?  that is why it's silly.  most people are good.  some are bad.  do you just assume all are bad because some are and some always will be?

No off course not and I do agree with you that the comment is a blanket statement that is unfair and incorrect. At the same time there is evil out there in all areas and facets of daily life that I as a parent need to be aware of and watch for. Do you walk around with your head in the sand with a belief that no harm can ever come to you or a loved one, off course not. I also know that there are laws which govern how we as citizens function to help ensure safety and security for ourselves and our children. Why should a law be thrown out becuase this or that person does not feel it should apply to them? Does Jeff Gordon get to speed while driving on public roadways because he is a pro driver and speeds for a living, of course not. Like I said I don't agree with his blanket statement, but I also fell at least speaking for the law here in Texas, that it is just and should be enforced as the courts and my elected officals intented it to.
2013-06-04 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO
Originally posted by mehaner this is a silly statement:

A dude that is cross-dressing as a halloween costume or a dare can stick to their own bathroom.  

So how do you control that?  Wouldn't it just be easier to say those with Male parts use the Male restroom, those with Female parts use the Female restroom?

Why not take personal identity out of it and just say use the one that you are anatomically proper for?

2013-06-04 12:18 PM

User image

Transgender Woman Reveals She Served As A Navy SEAL For 20 Years

http://www.businessinsider.com/transgendered-woman-served-a-navy-se...

2013-06-04 12:22 PM

User image

I really have no opinion on this thread topic and honestly couldn't care less, but your assumption is weird.

Which is the safest assumption? That a person has ill intent and go into a watchful posture or that all people are benign and stay in condition white?

When you walk in a parking lot, according to your post up there, you must assume all people are friendly and not pay attention to any of them because they are just doing their own thing, right? Otherwise, you're setting up a double standard. Now make that parking lot at night.

Doesn't make a lick of sense to assume all are non-aggressive just because you wish them to be.

2013-06-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

On face value I don't like it.

Then I try to remember a crime that happened in a public restroom and I have a hard time coming up with any....except for last week on a nearby college campus where some dude went into the owman's restroom and tried to rape a student there....who was eventually saved by her screaming.

So, I don't know....or maybe I just don't care what anyone else would do.  I've gotten pretty used to watching out for my kids and my family whenever I felt the need to which, admittedly, isn't very often since I tend to agree that most people are good and most places are safe. I guess everyone else can proceed as they wish.

I usually walked to the restroom with my daughters, when they were young, and waited outside.  I can see where I would have probably stood in front of the restroom door if some burly guy in a dress tried to walk in while my daughter was in there....but that's just me. Again, you can let the dude roll in with your daughters....that's your choice.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-06-04 1:04 PM
2013-06-04 2:20 PM

New user

this is a silly statement:

“No dad or parent should have to wonder – is my little girl going into the women’s bathroom with men in there,” he said. “To have a man in the women’s bathroom is a dangerous thing. That’s just so wrong on so many levels.”

Either this guy thinks all men want to molest his daughter or all cross-dressers are child molesters.  Both which are ridiculous assumptions.

I personally wouldn't care - I think a transgender that truly identifies as a woman is welcome in my rest room.  A dude that is cross-dressing as a halloween costume or a dare can stick to their own bathroom.  I have to welcome boys as old as 7 or 8 in the women's room and can't challenge THAT. 

Side note - in Europe it's not unusual for there to be women's stalls and men's stalls sharing the same washroom area.  It's not that scary, I promise.

If you ever had to file a police report on behalf of your juvenile daughter you wouldn't have called that statement "silly". Trust me, its something no parent (or child) should ever have to experience.
2013-06-04 2:51 PM
in reply to: NXS

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

There are many things that could happen a bathroom, including a bad person sneaking in and waiting in a stall to harrass someone (man or woman, child or adult).   Also, I have seen someone try to steal my purse from the hook.  I am a girl, she was a girl, nothing stopped her from coming in.  Or, a man could be solicited by another man who isn't interested.  Men are jumped and beat up by groups of men, in bathrooms, all the time on TV. I suppose it happens in real life.  Until there's a security guard checking IDs (and body parts?), many bad things can happen in a public restroom.  They can be isolated places, making people vulnerable.

My objection to the outrage is if someone complained about a transgender person simply becasue it made them uncomfortable and it was based on the fear and prejudice that transgender people have to face every moment in life.    I think it's possible that I have shared a bathroom with a man, living and dressed as a woman, and never even knew it.

Also, as mehaner points out, men and women share bathrooms in some cultures.  Not a big deal. I ran across it France a few weeks ago, multiple times.  In fact I like that because you usually get whole little room to yourself, not a stall where someone can reach over or under.  I'd like that in all cases.  It would stop delinquent teens from trying to steal my purse at the Mall of America!

2013-06-04 2:55 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro
Originally posted by BikerGrrrl

There are many things that could happen a bathroom, including a bad person sneaking in and waiting in a stall to harrass someone (man or woman, child or adult).   Also, I have seen someone try to steal my purse from the hook.  I am a girl, she was a girl, nothing stopped her from coming in.  Or, a man could be solicited by another man who isn't interested.  Men are jumped and beat up by groups of men, in bathrooms, all the time on TV. I suppose it happens in real life.  Until there's a security guard checking IDs (and body parts?), many bad things can happen in a public restroom.  They can be isolated places, making people vulnerable.

My objection to the outrage is if someone complained about a transgender person simply becasue it made them uncomfortable and it was based on the fear and prejudice that transgender people have to face every moment in life.    I think it's possible that I have shared a bathroom with a man, living and dressed as a woman, and never even knew it.

Also, as mehaner points out, men and women share bathrooms in some cultures.  Not a big deal. I ran across it France a few weeks ago, multiple times.  In fact I like that because you usually get whole little room to yourself, not a stall where someone can reach over or under.  I'd like that in all cases.  It would stop delinquent teens from trying to steal my purse at the Mall of America!

Wait....what?  TV must have changed since I quit watching it.  Laughing

2013-06-04 2:58 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Originally posted by Left Brain

There was one episode of ER at least a decade ago where one of the doctors was really creamed in the bathroom.  It was horrible!  I am sure there are other examples, but that stands out.

2013-06-04 2:59 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Left Brain

There was one episode of ER at least a decade ago where one of the doctors was really creamed in the bathroom.  It was horrible!  I am sure there are other examples, but that stands out.

OK

2013-06-04 4:28 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I'm trying to think how this actually goes down.

So, scenario 1, a transgender person is already IN the bathroom and just waiting for some hapless girl to walk in alone for a chance to do something...  That seems rare/unlikely.  And it could be ANYONE that does that.

Or, scenario 2, a transgener person walks in AFTER my pretend daughter goes in while I wait outside checking who goes in after her and notices ME noticing THEM go in and they still decide to do something to them with me outside?  Probably even more unlikely.

In my actual experience, they went into the men's room when they saw that I was looking that way.  The went into the ladies room when they thought no one was watching.  They don't want to create any conflict either.

Criminals will do what they do.  Most don't want to be caught, so if you don't make yourself a vitim, they pick differenct targets.  I kid with their dad just outside the door?  Not an easy/safe target.

I guess it's about choices.  I prefer to not live in fear.  Everybody around me COULD do me harm at any time.  99.9999% wont.  Lliving on constant alert or preparedness for the 0.0001% is too much work and stress.  There are obviously times that being deligent is prudent (empty parking lots, dark allys...

I guess I like to go day to day with the epxectations that people are good and there is no need to be on constant guard.  If I'm wrong?  So be it.  Better than living constantly with the fear that someone is out to get me or my family.

2013-06-04 11:29 PM

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Kido

I'm trying to think how this actually goes down.

So, scenario 1, a transgender person is already IN the bathroom and just waiting for some hapless girl to walk in alone for a chance to do something...  That seems rare/unlikely.  And it could be ANYONE that does that.

Or, scenario 2, a transgener person walks in AFTER my pretend daughter goes in while I wait outside checking who goes in after her and notices ME noticing THEM go in and they still decide to do something to them with me outside?  Probably even more unlikely.

In my actual experience, they went into the men's room when they saw that I was looking that way.  The went into the ladies room when they thought no one was watching.  They don't want to create any conflict either.

Criminals will do what they do.  Most don't want to be caught, so if you don't make yourself a vitim, they pick differenct targets.  I kid with their dad just outside the door?  Not an easy/safe target.

I guess it's about choices.  I prefer to not live in fear.  Everybody around me COULD do me harm at any time.  99.9999% wont.  Lliving on constant alert or preparedness for the 0.0001% is too much work and stress.  There are obviously times that being deligent is prudent (empty parking lots, dark allys...

I guess I like to go day to day with the epxectations that people are good and there is no need to be on constant guard.  If I'm wrong?  So be it.  Better than living constantly with the fear that someone is out to get me or my family.

I agree.  And....if you are obviously a man in a dress and you try to go in when my daughter is in the restroom you will just have to wait.  Like I said, it really makes me no difference what anyone else would do, people are free to handle things however they wish.  In fact, I couldn't care less if a man wants to put a dress on and go use the women's restroom, I just figure when my daughter is in there the same courtesy will be extended to me.  If not, there will be a problem.  I'm perfectly OK with confrontation when it concerns my children....the guy in the dress is just going to have to wait.

And again, I completely agree that good people are in such a huge majority that I don't worry much....but since the issue was brought up in this thread, I have no problem saying I won't have it when it comes to my kids.

As for the restrooms in Europe, that's a non-starter.....they are set up completely different than our restrooms here...apples and oranges.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-06-04 11:50 PM

2013-06-05 7:58 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Agree with the Brain on this one.  If a guy in a dress tried to go in the bathroom while my daughter was in there, there would be a problem.  Now if a man in a dress tried to go in the men's bathroom while my (pretend) son was in there, I would not have a problem with it.  

A man in a man's bathroom = ok

A man in a girls bathroom = not ok

This is my standard regardless of how they identify themselves.

2013-06-05 8:53 AM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I'm with you on this one.  Go with the room that matches your body parts.  If you have both sets, then I guess you can choose.
2013-06-07 6:55 AM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

I'm all for women in the mens room.  I think it would spice the place up a little bit. 

Obviously it's a tough call and it exposes some of the realities of a society embracing this type of behavior.  I'm not trying to make a judgement on cross dressing or changing sexes, I'm just saying it adds a lot of complexities that didn't have to be considered before.

I suspect this type of stuff will bring about some weird legal issues as well.  If I walk into the women's locker room at the gym to sneak a peak at the ladies in the showers I'll get arrested because they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  However, if I throw a dress on, am I legally protected to do the same thing?  Do I have to get a name change to Tonya and then it's legal?  Or, do I have to have a surgery?
I think the answer legally speaking is that none of our laws have caught up to this so anyone who is legally a dude could be prosecuted for going into the ladies room (or vis versa)

2013-06-10 1:23 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Expert
Boise, ID
Originally posted by tuwood

I'm all for women in the mens room.  I think it would spice the place up a little bit. 

Obviously it's a tough call and it exposes some of the realities of a society embracing this type of behavior.  I'm not trying to make a judgement on cross dressing or changing sexes, I'm just saying it adds a lot of complexities that didn't have to be considered before.

I suspect this type of stuff will bring about some weird legal issues as well.  If I walk into the women's locker room at the gym to sneak a peak at the ladies in the showers I'll get arrested because they have a reasonable expectation of privacy.  However, if I throw a dress on, am I legally protected to do the same thing?  Do I have to get a name change to Tonya and then it's legal?  Or, do I have to have a surgery?
I think the answer legally speaking is that none of our laws have caught up to this so anyone who is legally a dude could be prosecuted for going into the ladies room (or vis versa)

Yeah good luck conducting "business" with a bunch of women in the restroom.
2013-06-10 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by SevenZulu I'm with you on this one.  Go with the room that matches your body parts.  If you have both sets, then I guess you can choose.

In a women's rest room there are no urinals - so you really would no idea what 'parts' anyone has-

unless you are peeking under the door and that would make you the weirdo :-)

I don't know- I live in the country (rural) & don't run into this type of situation much, so it might shock me a little- but honestly I doubt I would go tell on the person to the manager- its not like the guy exposed himself or even made a rude remark to her.

As far as protecting kids in public bathrooms, unfortunately in this day you need to find a way to teach your kids what is OK and not OK and how to react to it pretty young, because you don't know if someone will try to harm them whether they are the same sex, the opposite sex or whatever.  

edited to add- by 'teaching your kids what is OK or not OK' I mean as far as someone trying to harm them

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-06-10 1:49 PM

2013-06-14 9:55 AM
in reply to: Aarondb4

Extreme Veteran
A'ali, Bahrain

This is only tangentially to this thread but your discussion made me think about it.

My sister's husband had a genetic disease that as it progressed made him more disabled.  At first, she would wheel him up to the door of the men's room, and usually some stranger would take him in.  As his illness progressed, she went into the men's room with him.  She felt the disease was enough of a humiliation without taking him into the Ladies'.  To the credit of the men who used the restroom at the time, not one of them complained when they realized the situation although my sister did say a few looked confused when they saw her.

Before he died, the two of them managed to wire get most of the schools in Alaska for internet.  They did this with the grant for Netdays and used the wheelchair to cart wires through the buildings.

His death was preceded by several years of intense and constant pain. I always remember the non-complaining men in the public restrooms and am grateful for their tolerance.

2013-06-18 6:37 AM

User image

Will California Let Boys Use Girls Locker Rooms?
http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/will-california-le...

That’s the issue facing California lawmakers as they consider Assembly Bill 1266 – legislation that would require all public schools to allow students to access to facilities consistent with their gender identity.
2013-06-24 9:18 AM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Colorado school discriminated against transgender girl: report
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns-rt-us-usa-education-transgen...

A Colorado school district discriminated against a 6-year-old transgender girl when it barred her from using the girls' lavatory, according to a report by the state's civil rights division released by the family's attorney on Sunday.

6 year old?

2013-06-24 12:24 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

So let's say we have a boy that is transgender and identifies as a girl.  And they are allowed to go in the Girls bathroom.  Do they also have the right to go in the men's?  Say at a Football game, there is a line for the women's bathroom.

At what point do we remove the signs from bathrooms.  If that's the rule (law), then I don't have a problem with it.

New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » Man in ladies room Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 12, 2012
comments : 2
Mark will reveal blow by blow what took him from six devastating setbacks in the Ironman World Championships in Kona to the first of his six World Championship victories on the Big Island.

date : May 3, 2012
author : leglube
comments : 0
Life and training are a lot easier without hair
date : October 9, 2007
author : dr_forbush
comments : 9
The boat was being tossed around. Someone noted that there were whitecaps on the waves. Another guy said, “This is going to be challenging.” I began to wonder what he meant by 'challenging'.

date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"
date : July 9, 2007
author : Diane1961
comments : 5
There are so many reasons I love this sport and extremely buff, handsome men disrobing next to me is one of them.

date : May 30, 2005
author : infosteward
comments : 5
All you have to do is say you’re a triathlete and you intimidate the whole world. No matter how much you bench press or what you lift or how many squats you can do.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : August 31, 2004
author : malvey
Get inspired to race a triathlon even if your older.