General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunburn or chafing in OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-06 2:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Kobenhavns Kommune
Subject: Sunburn or chafing in OWS
Hi:

So, I'm not used to OWS. Anyone get sunburn on their neck when swimming? or more likely the wetsuit chafing? or both?

Swam 1hr at 11am this morning, UV index says 7, clear blue sky. Have really difficulty seing my back, tried to take a photo but can't really see anything from that. Wetsuit did chafe, but maybe I was more sensitive due to sunburn.

• .. and another completely different question: Anyone concerned about OWS in thunderstorms?

• Thanks, Erik

2013-06-06 2:23 PM
    in reply to: erik.norgaard

User image

Regular
    LHOTP
    Subject: RE: Sunburn or chafing in OWS

Did you lube your neck? If I don't put lube on my neck my wetsuit chafes me there in a matter of minutes.

Yes, I'm totally concerned about OWS + lightning.  I haven't had to make that call yet, but if I could hear thunder or see lightning, I wouldn't get in the water.

2013-06-06 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
    I use TriSlide for my wetsuit and it works great! I apply sunscreen maybe about 30 mins before swimming and it seems to do the job.

For lightning, I would get out. As tempting as it is to keep going, no workout is worth risking your life. It rarely storms here in the morning so it's not usually a concern.
    2013-06-07 2:34 AM
    in reply to: laurentris

User image

Elite
    My swim coach is a legend if ows he makes us swim in terrible conditions one exception is thunderstorms
    2013-06-07 2:40 AM

User image

Champion
    Evergreen, Colorado

Originally posted by erik.norgaard Hi: So, I'm not used to OWS. Anyone get sunburn on their neck when swimming? or more likely the wetsuit chafing? or both? Swam 1hr at 11am this morning, UV index says 7, clear blue sky. Have really difficulty seing my back, tried to take a photo but can't really see anything from that. Wetsuit did chafe, but maybe I was more sensitive due to sunburn. ... and another completely different question: Anyone concerned about OWS in thunderstorms? Thanks, Erik

Heck, my SWIMSUIT chafes my neck if I swim too long in open water!  Nevermind the wetsuit!

Use sunblock whether the sun is out or not (i.e. overcast).  At an OWS race in Lake Tahoe a few years back I was only in the water for maybe 45' and my back got a BLISTERING sunburn.  It hurt.

And never EVER swim in Thunderstorms...that is a Darwin award waiting to happen.

2013-06-07 11:22 AM
    in reply to: jldicarlo

User image

Extreme Veteran
    , Kobenhavns Kommune
    Originally posted by jldicarlo

And never EVER swim in Thunderstorms...that is a Darwin award waiting to happen.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

I have an OWS race this sunday. Tomorrow there's a warning out for lightning and currently forecast for sunday is thunderstorms too, but no warning yet. I don't know how fast weather changes around here, but it's a 6.5K swim so we'll be out there enough that we can start with a clear blue sky and then suddenly get caught out there half way.

BR, Erik

2013-06-07 12:09 PM

User image

I bet it's the wetsuit. My first time out in mine my neck was so chafed it bled and people at work wanted to know how I'd burned my self so badly with the curling iron.
    2013-06-07 12:33 PM

User image

Regular
    LHOTP
    Originally posted by erik.norgaard
    Originally posted by jldicarlo

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have an OWS race this sunday. Tomorrow there's a warning out for lightning and currently forecast for sunday is thunderstorms too, but no warning yet. I don't know how fast weather changes around here, but it's a 6.5K swim so we'll be out there enough that we can start with a clear blue sky and then suddenly get caught out there half way. BR, Erik

Do they have a protocol?  Will there be boats and they could pull you guys if it looked dangerous? Not that you want to be ina boat either, but, hopefully you'd have enough time to get back to chore and get safe.  

Be safe out there and good luck Erik.

2013-06-08 7:36 AM
    in reply to: switch

User image

Expert
    Wendell, NC
    -Lube the neck

- Here's my T-storm theory: One is VERY unlikely to be struck by lightening. If struck while running, you may or may not die. If struck, or near strike, while swimming you will die. Personally, I love running in thunderstorms and NEVER swim in T-storms. It's a personal risk and outcome acceptance.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sunburn or chafing in OWS Rss Feed  
    RELATED POSTS

Sunburn warning!

Started by pga_mike
    Views: 1875 Posts: 22

2010-04-06 1:49 PM TriAya

[novice] - Heat management & sunburn prevention

Started by ancosta
    Views: 1343 Posts: 8

2008-08-11 9:17 PM the bear

Post sunburn product shill

Started by Bripod
    Views: 1322 Posts: 4

2008-05-06 2:10 AM PhatNLazy

sunburn.

Started by thebullmccabe
    Views: 1048 Posts: 5

2007-06-08 9:15 AM FishrCutB8

rest with blistered sunburn?

Started by Kpoulsen
    Views: 902 Posts: 2

2006-07-25 11:49 AM KenyonTri
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : June 14, 2012
    author : IndoIronYanti
    comments : 4
    MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.

date : November 3, 2008
    author : AMSSM
    comments : 0
    While not the most pleasant topic, saddles sores are a common phenomenon within the cycling community. Learn what causes saddle sores and how to prevent them from occurring.
    date : September 3, 2006
    author : TriDDS
    comments : 1
    Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 21, 2006
    author : Ron
    comments : 0
    Some are getting a little OWS practice in, others are strategizing, the rest are just plain scared.
    date : September 4, 2004
    author : Dillion
    comments : 1
    If anyone is considering expanding their horizons and getting into doing an Ironman distance or ½ Ironman distance race, there are many tips and tricks that can help in having a pleasant experience.