General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 Training Plan: No intense stuff Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-06 6:20 PM

nashville, Tennessee
Subject: 70.3 Training Plan: No intense stuff
I posted awhile back about the fact that I have always done my weekly long ride at an easy pace. And everyone on here said I should not be doing an easy pace and that they do their long rides at race pace or better. They also said that they don't do "easy pace" ever on the bike. I'm confused because I am training for a 70.3 in september and was just looking over the HIM plan on this website. Almost all the bike workouts(most of the run workouts) were RPE of 3-4 which to me sounds easy. And 100 % of the weekly long rides said easy pace. So what's the deal?

2013-06-06 6:59 PM
in reply to: mchadcota2

Regular
Subject: RE: 70.3 Training Plan: No intense stuff
RPE 3-4 is not easy. There is a huge gap between an easy bike and intense bike workouts. Easy is when you just cruise along and can carry on a conversation with someone while intense is when you are gasping for air and about to puke. Your long rides should be somewhere in the middle. You can talk but not get out a full sentence without having to pause to breath. Your HIM bike pace should not be intense unless you intend to walk 13.2 miles. A lot of people refer to HIM pace as "sweet spot" pace. Your breathing is somewhat labored, you break a good sweat and it is a pace you can carry for 3 hrs but leaves you with legs that can carry you for the run....far too many forget about that run part while on the bike. You will know it when you find it!!
2013-06-06 8:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA
First, I'd say it depends on what your goals are, as well as what your anticipated race pace actually is. Then again, maybe the latter doesn't even matter, since that's all relative...

I can say that for my first HIM, which incidentally was the one I was best trained for, I probably averaged somewhere in the 16-17 mph range for my long rides. My race pace, which was on a very hilly course, was about 19 mph. Point being, I did not train at my race pace. In fact, I can't imagine doing all of those training rides at 19 mph, that seems insane!

Honestly, I did all of these training rides at a pace that felt good for me for that particular day. Now, if you're really trying to dial into a specific goal, this may not be the best advice, but if you're not in it to win it, I'd say push it some, but don't kill yourself. Good luck!
2013-06-06 9:03 PM

User image

Regular
Pueblo, Colorado
IMO, the base you have built also has a huge impact. If you are training at an easy pace that is close to your aerobic threshold (at or just below), your body will learn to burn fat more efficiently, which is huge for events that last 3+ hours. I would stick with an easier pace on longer rides. That said, it's also worth throwing some intensity in on other rides, if for no other reason than remember what "hard" riding feels like.
2013-06-06 9:11 PM

User image

Originally posted by mchadcota2

I posted awhile back about the fact that I have always done my weekly long ride at an easy pace. And everyone on here said I should not be doing an easy pace and that they do their long rides at race pace or better. They also said that they don't do "easy pace" ever on the bike. I'm confused because I am training for a 70.3 in september and was just looking over the HIM plan on this website. Almost all the bike workouts(most of the run workouts) were RPE of 3-4 which to me sounds easy. And 100 % of the weekly long rides said easy pace. So what's the deal?

Just because you found a plan on the interwebs...it doesn't mean it's any good OR it doesn't mean it's the right plan for you specifically.

2013-06-07 7:39 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mchadcota2 I posted awhile back about the fact that I have always done my weekly long ride at an easy pace. And everyone on here said I should not be doing an easy pace and that they do their long rides at race pace or better. They also said that they don't do "easy pace" ever on the bike. I'm confused because I am training for a 70.3 in september and was just looking over the HIM plan on this website. Almost all the bike workouts(most of the run workouts) were RPE of 3-4 which to me sounds easy. And 100 % of the weekly long rides said easy pace. So what's the deal?

I'm not overly familiar with all the plans on the website. It is necessary, however, to know the scale being used. Some might be 5, others might be 10 for example. There are definitions (somewhere) of what an RPE of 3-4 should be like.

Also, what was said before was under the impression you were riding for an hour or so at most. In which case most all of your rides should contain more intensity than easy. Now that you say you're doing a half iron and will be riding much longer, that will change. I don't do my bigger rides entirely race pace, I'd burn up from the the overall training load being too high. Especially since these will get up into 4-5 hrs. However, *some* parts of the rides will be up at that effort. How much depends on my training at the time and what I want to accomplish in that workout.

2013-06-07 7:48 AM
in reply to: KiterChick

User image

Elite
Ontario
Originally posted by KiterChick

First, I'd say it depends on what your goals are, as well as what your anticipated race pace actually is. Then again, maybe the latter doesn't even matter, since that's all relative...

I can say that for my first HIM, which incidentally was the one I was best trained for, I probably averaged somewhere in the 16-17 mph range for my long rides. My race pace, which was on a very hilly course, was about 19 mph. Point being, I did not train at my race pace. In fact, I can't imagine doing all of those training rides at 19 mph, that seems insane!

Honestly, I did all of these training rides at a pace that felt good for me for that particular day. Now, if you're really trying to dial into a specific goal, this may not be the best advice, but if you're not in it to win it, I'd say push it some, but don't kill yourself. Good luck!

Most of my HIM long rides are done at or above my targetted power for the race. HIM, I'll target around 80-82%%, and most long rides will be somewhere between 75-85% for the bulk of the ride, with some time spent closer to 90%. It's not always fun, and there are days where I can't hit the targets, but it does work. If you can spend a 4hr training ride at a higher output than you plan for on race day, that makes your targets and goals much more achievable on race day itself - it also helps to account for the fatigue you've just built up during the swim. A lot of people tend to forget to factor in the effort of ~40min in the water, and the impact that has on you.
2013-06-07 8:11 AM

RPE3-4 is not easy.

If it's easy, you need to crank up your RPEs.

It's not so hard that you can't go on after 5 minutes, but it's hard enough at 3-4 that you should be pretty uncomfortable the entire time you're in that effort zone.

Try Trainerroad "sweet spot" rides for a pretty good idea of this.
2013-06-07 8:24 AM

User image

Master
San Antone, Texas
I tried the beginner HIM from BT a few years ago for my first HIM. While it was adequate to get me to the finish line, looking back at it now it seems very light on cycling in both duration and intensity. But keep in mind it is a "beginner" training plan, designed for one size fits all.

I don't even use a specific plan anymore, I just train based on the techniques I've researched and tried that seem to work for me (and from what I gather most people on these sites). I work on raising my FTP using specific interval workouts (i.e. 2x20) on the trainer a few times a week and a longer zone 2 ride on the weekends. Zone 2 is not supposed to be "easy" on the bike.
2013-06-07 8:32 AM
in reply to: GoFaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
There have been a couple different phases in my training in the last couple of months, and I found it interesting what each produced. When I started doing my long rides a couple months ago, it was after the first half of my training plan which was pure base building. With one week exception, there was no high-intensity strength work on the bike, just a slower, more even build. The plan also involved a heavy run focus, with the same base building. Those first few long rides I felt good - certainly better than last season, but there was still some moments on the climbs where it was a struggle to keep where I was supposed to be power wise. Then, about a month and a half ago, I entered 4 weeks of really big interval work, in all 3 disciplines. Shorter, as in 45 minutes to 1:15, workouts that left me trashed at the end. 4 weeks of those 5 days a week., the 6th day of the week was alternating a long run at recovery pace and a long ride, pace agnostic, just time based. I can tell you that even though I was supposed to be just riding, ignorant of pace or time, I was killing those rides.
Point is, the intervals gave me for the power, and the long rides gave me the mental toughness, the position comfort, etc. I think intervals are SUPER important.
2013-06-07 8:49 AM
in reply to: djastroman

User image

Regular
Wisconsin
Originally posted by djastroman

I tried the beginner HIM from BT a few years ago for my first HIM. While it was adequate to get me to the finish line, looking back at it now it seems very light on cycling in both duration and intensity. But keep in mind it is a "beginner" training plan, designed for one size fits all.

I don't even use a specific plan anymore, I just train based on the techniques I've researched and tried that seem to work for me (and from what I gather most people on these sites). I work on raising my FTP using specific interval workouts (i.e. 2x20) on the trainer a few times a week and a longer zone 2 ride on the weekends. Zone 2 is not supposed to be "easy" on the bike.

x2 on the beginner HIM from BT. The cycling portions seemed light. I modified the plan as I went along.

2013-06-07 9:22 AM
in reply to: yazmaster

Originally posted by yazmaster

RPE3-4 is not easy.

If it's easy, you need to crank up your RPEs.

It's not so hard that you can't go on after 5 minutes, but it's hard enough at 3-4 that you should be pretty uncomfortable the entire time you're in that effort zone.

Try Trainerroad "sweet spot" rides for a pretty good idea of this.

Oops - didn't realize you were using a 1-10 scale and not a 1-5 scale for RPE. I'd say RPE should feel pretty easy, but I'm not sure it's a great idea to do most of your training exclusively at RPE3. I'm a lot closer to RPE6-8 and that's going actually by powermeter computed zones.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 70.3 Training Plan: No intense stuff Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

70.3 Training Plans

Started by kstateskier
Views: 1584 Posts: 4

2013-05-28 4:26 PM TriBoilermaker

70.3 Training Plan Hours?? Pages: 1 2

Started by mramazon0822
Views: 5446 Posts: 36

2012-03-01 10:28 AM jbahjj

Taper for 70.3 in my 140.6 training plan

Started by enduropro
Views: 722 Posts: 1

2011-05-16 8:30 PM enduropro

Injuries, training and the intense heat

Started by furiousferret
Views: 763 Posts: 6

2010-07-24 7:40 PM nc452010

base training + high intense

Started by deadman
Views: 835 Posts: 5

2010-05-19 6:38 AM Scout7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 28, 2012
author : dilletaunt
comments : 5
Another year, another excuse in missing the Ironman 70.3 Lake Stevens triathlon.

date : February 3, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 4
Scheduling workouts in the Custom Training Plan Creator for an ideal, balanced, injury-free season
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
How to fit in a running workout in 30 minutes or less for a busy lifestyle