Other Resources The Political Joe » JHS valedictorian's speech was silenced Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-09 3:29 PM

User image

Subject: JHS valedictorian's speech was silenced
http://www.burlesonstar.net/localnews/ci_23411906

Wow. Mic cut off when he started talking about free speech. Now that's interesting.

2013-06-09 4:38 PM
in reply to: #4771260

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
Subject: RE: JHS valedictorian's speech was silenced
I count 6 articles about different schools cutting off valedictorians and salutatorians. They all say the school had approved one speech and when the student went off speech, they cut them off.

Both of my graduations had rules of conduct during the ceremony (no beach balls, no outburst once you receive your diploma, etc). But the speakers were free to make their own speech in both cases.

I wonder what these principals are afraid of. Their cutting the kids off causes more issues and gives a bigger stage to the kids than if they let them speak.
2013-06-09 5:25 PM
in reply to: GomesBolt

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
On the bright side, do you ever remember any of the speeches your valedictorian or salutatorian gave? I don't. Cutting them off at least makes them memorable.
2013-06-09 11:32 PM
in reply to: DanielG

User image

Pro

Everyone in this country is entitled to free speech and to voice their opinion.  It's a shame that the student in this deal didn't choose to use his right and speak to the newspaper or some other avenue to say what was cut out and what he thought about it.  

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want.  The school was absolutely within it's rights to cut off a speech that veered away from what they approved for their commencement.  You don't have to like it, but that's been argued and debated forever with the same results and opinions from the courts.

2013-06-10 7:58 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Originally posted by Left Brain

Everyone in this country is entitled to free speech and to voice their opinion.  It's a shame that the student in this deal didn't choose to use his right and speak to the newspaper or some other avenue to say what was cut out and what he thought about it.  

Free speech doesn't mean you can say whatever you want, whenever you want.  The school was absolutely within it's rights to cut off a speech that veered away from what they approved for their commencement.  You don't have to like it, but that's been argued and debated forever with the same results and opinions from the courts.

If you can't say what you want to say to your peers when you have the podium at you graduation day is not the right time, then when is it?

Seems to me that four years of kicking arse and taking names in the classroom earns you the right to say whatever is on your mind to your class when you step up to the mic. And the irony in the whole thing is the administrators that pulled the cord probably needed to hear what he had to say more than anyone wearing a cap and gown.

2013-06-10 8:33 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Originally posted by Jackemy1

If you can't say what you want to say to your peers when you have the podium at you graduation day is not the right time, then when is it? Seems to me that four years of kicking arse and taking names in the classroom earns you the right to say whatever is on your mind to your class when you step up to the mic. And the irony in the whole thing is the administrators that pulled the cord probably needed to hear what he had to say more than anyone wearing a cap and gown.

OK, take it up with the school, they own the mic, and they don't agree with you.  It may be alot of things, and I may or may not agree with it, but it's not a violation of free speech.  Maybe if the kid wanted the rest of his unnapproved speech to be heard he should have thought ahead and brought his own mic or bullhorn.  He got to say his piece.....it's his fault he wasn't heard. He knew the rules going in.

Edited by Left Brain 2013-06-10 8:35 AM

2013-06-10 8:58 AM

User image

I assume this is a public school so the local community owns the mic. But I am sure he learned a good lesson a good bull horn is required equipment for any aspiring community activist.

I am just saying that I've seen enough '80s teenage angst movie to know the closing monologue class speech that shames authority is a right of passage.
2013-06-10 9:05 AM
in reply to: Jackemy1

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I assume this is a public school so the local community owns the mic. But I am sure he learned a good lesson a good bull horn is required equipment for any aspiring community activist. I am just saying that I've seen enough '80s teenage angst movie to know the closing monologue class speech that shames authority is a right of passage.

It's not a movie, it's life, so he might as well learn about it.......as he did. 

2013-06-10 9:19 AM

User image

Originally posted by Jackemy1 I assume this is a public school so the local community owns the mic. But I am sure he learned a good lesson a good bull horn is required equipment for any aspiring community activist. I am just saying that I've seen enough '80s teenage angst movie to know the closing monologue class speech that shames authority is a right of passage.

It's not a movie, it's life, so he might as well learn about it.......as he did. 

Oh, I'm sure life is going to eventually kick the snot out of him and put him back in his place just it has done to all of us.
2013-06-10 9:30 AM

User image

Expert

Oh, I'm sure life is going to eventually kick the snot out of him and put him back in his place just it has done to all of us.

My husband is from Iran. In the USA we have no clue what "kick the snot out of him and put him back in his place" even means. 

2013-06-10 9:38 AM
in reply to: KateTri1

User image

Originally posted by KateTri1

My husband is from Iran. In the USA we have no clue what "kick the snot out of him and put him back in his place" even means. 

No, but we're learning...

2013-06-10 10:10 AM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by GomesBolt

That sounds so ominous. Would you care to elaborate?

2013-06-10 10:16 AM

User image

Pro

Kate....haven't you heard?  The govt. may have your e-mail address stored in a cave in Nevada. You know, the same address you send to hundreds/thousands of people and organizations every year.  It's horrifying!

2013-06-10 11:18 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Kate....haven't you heard?  The govt. may have your e-mail address stored in a cave in Nevada. You know, the same address you send to hundreds/thousands of people and organizations every year.  It's horrifying!

So as not to hijack this, LB take a look at the other thread about the NSA.
2013-06-10 11:46 AM

User image

So unlike a lot of people who have never lived outside the US who make statements like I made, I grew up in two countries during times where both had significant opposition in the areas where I lived. I was also deployed in the military to every major region on the planet except for Africa.

What I noticed first hand is that in all of those countries with opposition of a certain group, the first thing to go is always the right to free speech. Keep them from saying what they want, where they want, keep the press from reporting what you don't want them to report.

It always starts small.

ETA- I'm making a comment on the larger picture than just a high school graduation. But I do find it interesting that the teachers and administrators probably grew up in the 60s when they or their classmates were demonstrating against the man and here they are being the man.

Edited by GomesBolt 2013-06-10 11:48 AM
2013-06-10 11:48 AM

User image

Expert

Exactly. Our government has access to a lot of records, but, are they going to use that info? Possibly.

But that is not on the level of walking down the street, and having some.. whatever kind of police pull up in a van, and take you away to a jail, where there are hundreds of other citizens like you. Stored away, until you either get locked up in some sh** hole forever, disappear, get hanged, beheaded and dragged down the street, or just plain.. tortured...shot,  This is some of the stuff my husband had the privilege of witnessing in his country. All over simple violations of choosing a certain religion and distribution of some pamphlets. 

When that starts happening to ordinary citizens of this country, I'll be first in line to officially freak out. 

2013-06-10 12:12 PM

User image

Pro

So unlike a lot of people who have never lived outside the US who make statements like I made, I grew up in two countries during times where both had significant opposition in the areas where I lived. I was also deployed in the military to every major region on the planet except for Africa. What I noticed first hand is that in all of those countries with opposition of a certain group, the first thing to go is always the right to free speech. Keep them from saying what they want, where they want, keep the press from reporting what you don't want them to report. It always starts small. ETA- I'm making a comment on the larger picture than just a high school graduation. But I do find it interesting that the teachers and administrators probably grew up in the 60s when they or their classmates were demonstrating against the man and here they are being the man.

Well, since you made the comment......can you please give other instances where people are being prevented from saying what they want, where the want, or how the press is being kept down (really?  The truth is, someone ought to shut those idiots up most of the time).

The 1st Amendment is alive and well in the United States......and apparently, so is Chicken Little.  (not aimed at you directly Gomes.....just a comment on the whole NSA debate that nobody knows anything about but is ready to indict the govt. over)

2013-06-10 1:07 PM

User image

Exactly. Our government has access to a lot of records, but, are they going to use that info? Possibly.

But that is not on the level of walking down the street, and having some.. whatever kind of police pull up in a van, and take you away to a jail, where there are hundreds of other citizens like you. Stored away, until you either get locked up in some sh** hole forever, disappear, get hanged, beheaded and dragged down the street, or just plain.. tortured...shot,  This is some of the stuff my husband had the privilege of witnessing in his country. All over simple violations of choosing a certain religion and distribution of some pamphlets. 

When that starts happening to ordinary citizens of this country, I'll be first in line to officially freak out. 

You guys all understand that I meant life kicking the snot out of you in a metaphorical kind of way and not in a secret police way, right?

2013-06-10 2:42 PM

User image

Expert

You guys all understand that I meant life kicking the snot out of you in a metaphorical kind of way and not in a secret police way, right?

IDK.. some of the worst "life kicking snot out of me" WAS in high school. 

2013-06-14 8:26 AM

User image

NC

ETA- I'm making a comment on the larger picture than just a high school graduation. But I do find it interesting that the teachers and administrators probably grew up in the 60s when they or their classmates were demonstrating against the man and here they are being the man.

I fancy myself a big liberty/freedom guy. But, I see kids' behavior, very often being supported by the parents, as the root cause of this crack down. At my college graduation, we walked across the football field as we entered. Very casual (I had a bottle up champagne up my sleeve). A bunch of kids jumped out of line and would do a little skit, or have a prop of some sort, and it was hilarious. It was just a few though, relatively, and it didn't delay the ceremony. I understand a few years later, it had gotten so out of control they had to stop walking across the field.

This graduation speech thing reared it's head near where I grew up, with the kid saying the Lord's Prayer off-script. I assume that was also discussed here. I think that's just tacky, but I'm not religious. It seems it's more and more about individual attention on some pet issue of the speaker. The schools had to crack down. Of course, had the kid near me been anything but Christian, the community would have freaked out. In this area of the country, imagine if he had rolled out a rug and asked the crowd to join him in bowing to the east? Or a homosexual speaker asked their boyfriend/girlfriend up for a kiss?

The result: sanitized speeches.

Edited by Goosedog 2013-06-14 8:26 AM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » JHS valedictorian's speech was silenced Rss Feed  
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
comments : 1
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.

date : September 24, 2007
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on salt tablets, AM workout nutrition, coffee, post workout nutrition, whey powder, recovery nutrition, losing weight, Recoverite usage, the necessity of sugars and snack ideas.