General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long runs zone 2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-11 2:37 PM

Subject: long runs zone 2
Just wondering if I'm doing something wrong. I've been running for just over a year now and i've started running with a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) last December. The zone 2 that I've been using is 140-154 for running and it's based on an avg of mathematical formulas that I've used. So it is NOT a lab graded test.

When starting off I have no problem keeping things in the zone 2 range, however when I get over the 3 or 4 mile mark, I really struggle to keep my heart rate in the zone 2 range, it seems to jump up to the 160s even after I slow my pace down. About the only way that I can stay in zone 2 for an entire run is to walk every so often. I don't feel that I'm out of the "conversational pace" of Perceived Exertion.

My logs are up to date and I'm a 30 year old male.

2013-06-11 2:49 PM
in reply to: TrBeau17

Subject: RE: long runs zone 2
The more run miles (training) you get in your legs, the longer you will last in zone2 before spiking. It's a fitness issue. As abeginner, it's natural that you'll fatigue faster than an experienced runner, with resulting elevated HR.
2013-06-11 2:52 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Do a field test if you want to use HR. After a warm-up, do a 30min time trial. Aim to run as steady a pace as possible (which should feel progressively more challenging over the duration of the run--like a race) while being completely 'out of gas' at the 30min mark. Use avg. HR over the last 20min of the run as your threshold and then calculate zones from there. It may take a couple tries to nail a test like this if you are not used to running hard for that duration.
2013-06-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

Originally posted by yazmaster

The more run miles (training) you get in your legs, the longer you will last in zone2 before spiking. It's a fitness issue. As abeginner, it's natural that you'll fatigue faster than an experienced runner, with resulting elevated HR.

I agree 100% with your statement but I've been doing 20-30 MPW running consistently for over 6 months, shouldn't I be over that stage?

2013-06-11 3:31 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Likely that zone is off base for your actual Z2.

Here's the BT article on the field test and some other info.  BT has a HR zone calculator too: Put your cursor over your name on the red toolbar upper right and go to Settings/Training Log Settings/HR Zone manager... Add New HR zone, Run, Lactate Threshold Method.

This is the big thread/FAQ that started it all.

Enjoy the field run test!Wink

2013-06-11 4:51 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I have read much (here and elsewhere) about Z2 training.  I get the concept about building up base endurance using this method.  However, I still don't see how this will help me increase my race pace.  For example: train for 3 months in Z2---pace of 10min/mi at beginning---pace of 8:30min/mi at end.  That's all well and good, but how does this help me run a race in Z4?  I've spent 3 months training in Z2 but I don't plan to run that "slow" in a race.  Any enightenment would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks all.

Edited by dbrook1 2013-06-11 4:51 PM

2013-06-11 6:48 PM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Extreme Veteran
You are still going to have to do some speed work when you are ready to race. Legs need to know what it feels like to run and burn. Need to do 45-60min tempo runs. Also need to do 15-20min worth Z5 intervals.

It's going to take awhile to drop from 10 to 8:30. People HR train for years. Right now, your Z2 is 10:00 and Z4 is 8:30. The goal is to have Z2 be 8:30 so your Z4 will be 6:30.

You are rebuilding your engine. There will be time to fine tune and add the turbo upgrade.
2013-06-11 7:09 PM

Originally posted by TrBeau17

Originally posted by yazmaster

I agree 100% with your statement but I've been doing 20-30 MPW running consistently for over 6 months, shouldn't I be over that stage?

Not necessarily.

But re-reading your post, I do agree with the others above that you really have to field test to get a true zone 2. Odds are you have your zone wrong since you derived it mathematically, which has been shown to be very unreliable and highly variable between individuals.
2013-06-11 7:45 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

New user
KY
I have recently started using a Heart Rate Monitor myself and have been researching the Zone 2 training theory. According to most of what I read, most people feel like they are running painfully slow while in Zone 2. I know I do. I usually run 8-8:40 on my easy days but in Zone 2 I can't seem to get under 9:45 without the heart rate alarm beeping. It does sound like many people take walk breaks. There is a local running coach here who trains his athletes according to heart rate, and there is always a short (30 second or so) walk break incorporated into every 15 minutes or so of running. I watched a friend PR in a marathon at age 46 (she ran a 3:17) by following that plan. It really does seem to show great results for a lot of people who stick with it.
2013-06-11 7:58 PM
in reply to: GAUG3

User image

Originally posted by GAUG3 Right now, your Z2 is 10:00 and Z4 is 8:30. The goal is to have Z2 be 8:30 so your Z4 will be 6:30.

I get that, but how will my heart/lungs/muscles be able to handle a race (of any length) at the higher pace when it seems the majority of the training will be at such a lower pace?  I'm not disagreeing with the principle at all, I just don't see how I can race at a faster pace longer when I haven't really "trained" for it.

2013-06-11 8:13 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
This thread is already a bit of a mess with some misleading information. Listen to Johnnykay and donto. You need to do a test to determine your zones. Then gradually build training volume with the majority of your running in your zone 2. Eventually, it will benefit you to mix in approximately 20% of your volume as pace work. Notice I said "pace" and not "speed". Too many people think they need to do balls to the wall efforts for intervals, when they would be better served doing race specific pace intervals. To answer your question about how zone 2 running will help you race in zone 3, look at it this way: increasing your pace in zone 2 slides your pace in every zone, not just zone 2. This means you're also able to run faster in zone 3, but the training in zone 2 places lower forces on your joints and connective tissues than higher intensity running.

2013-06-11 8:54 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

User image

Originally posted by TriMyBest To answer your question about how zone 2 running will help you race in zone 3, look at it this way: increasing your pace in zone 2 slides your pace in every zone, not just zone 2. This means you're also able to run faster in zone 3, but the training in zone 2 places lower forces on your joints and connective tissues than higher intensity running.

I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at this ignorant newb so I don't expect an answer to this, I just want to clarify my confusion (does that even make sense???).  I get that the paces in all zones will increase, what I don't get is how my body will be able to sustain extended time in zones higher than 2 if the majority of my training is in 2.  Again, not trying to frustrate y'all.  I've gained a ton of highly valuable info from this site in just a few short weeks.  Thank you all for your help.

2013-06-12 3:32 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Originally posted by dbrook1

Originally posted by TriMyBest To answer your question about how zone 2 running will help you race in zone 3, look at it this way: increasing your pace in zone 2 slides your pace in every zone, not just zone 2. This means you're also able to run faster in zone 3, but the training in zone 2 places lower forces on your joints and connective tissues than higher intensity running.

I'm sure many of you are rolling your eyes at this ignorant newb so I don't expect an answer to this, I just want to clarify my confusion (does that even make sense???).  I get that the paces in all zones will increase, what I don't get is how my body will be able to sustain extended time in zones higher than 2 if the majority of my training is in 2.  Again, not trying to frustrate y'all.  I've gained a ton of highly valuable info from this site in just a few short weeks.  Thank you all for your help.

Endurance events are primarily limited by aerobic capacity (the body's ability to utilize oxygen dependent energy pathways efficiently), not anaerobic capacity (utilization of the energy pathways that don't rely on oxygen). Because of this, increasing you're aerobic capacity is one of the most effective ways to improve endurance performance. Whether you are running in zone 2 or zone 4, the primary performance limiter is the same, so whether you're training for a 5k where you will run in zones 4-5 or a marathon where you will run primarily in zone 2, effective training for each will have much more in common than they have different.

Edited by TriMyBest 2013-06-12 3:34 AM
2013-06-12 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I wish I still had the link to a site I had on my old PC that described the physiological changes that occur when training at  lower intensities for longer durations than at high intensities for shorter durations, it was a good site and a lot of it was beyond me.  IIRC, part of it was the body develops the small blood capillaries needed for delivering the O2, nutrients and waste removal within the muscle cells a lot more efficiently at lower intensities.  As these are developing(ed) only then will you be able to take advantage of them in races & tempo/interval training that are part of most intermediate to advance training plans to maximize racing results.  In the meantime, as was stated, you will slowly find your training pace decrease and if you went out and did a race such as a 5k or 10k you'd find nice decreases in times in part because of the new pathways developed.

And No, I didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night and am not a doc, coach, or anything related!

2013-06-12 7:30 AM
in reply to: dbrook1

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia

I've always found this table to be quite useful when considering the adapatations due to training at different intensities. This is for cycling but for running it would be very similar - note that training intensities 1-5 are all primarily aerobic while 6 and 7 are primarily anaerobic:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/articles/cycling/power-training-level...

Shane
2013-06-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: gsmacleod

User image

Thank you TriMyBest, Donto, and gsmacleod for your patience and explanations.  They all helped to make a little more sense of this for me.

2013-06-12 12:01 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-12 12:10 PM
in reply to: tkos

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
It is kind of a leap of faith, it's strange. I have called it one of the great mysteries of life (which only highlights how droll and narrow my life is!) how lots and lots of steady, lower intensity running makes you faster. But it does. You're not running slow enough, and it hasn't been long enough. Six months is just kinda scraping the edges of when things start to change noticeably.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long runs zone 2 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Long run in zone 1 or zone 2?

Started by Kermat89
Views: 3050 Posts: 17

2011-09-15 4:04 AM gsmacleod

Running HR zones and pace zones don't jive Pages: 1 2

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 4009 Posts: 38

2010-03-10 4:57 PM Experior

LT test and zone 2 training zone for long runs

Started by Simon de Kerpel
Views: 2517 Posts: 20

2006-11-02 10:53 AM mikericci

Bike Zone vs. Run Zone

Started by oipolloi
Views: 918 Posts: 3

2006-08-10 9:24 AM amiine

How long to get in the "zone"??

Started by bmacmanus
Views: 971 Posts: 6

2005-12-15 7:22 PM Ironbubba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 6, 2011
author : mikericci
comments : 4
Triathlon Coach explains Zone 1 and Zone 2 training and the benefits of each training zone

date : September 24, 2007
comments : 1
This article will show you how to construct a run training program for your second season of running using your calculated heart-rate zones.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.

date : April 12, 2007
comments : 4
Warmup tips. Swim, bike and run pacing and heart-rate zones to be in by mileage.
date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation

date : November 7, 2006
Training our bodies to work efficiently in Zone 2 will help us keep our HR and pace even throughout an Ironman. This theory would hold true for the bike and run portion of an Ironman race.
date : March 5, 2006
author : KevinKonczak
Discussion on tapering, treadmill workout, long run issues, insituting run/walk, surrounded by hills and knowing your LT.

date : October 2, 2005
author : acbadger
I recognize that my 45 minute jog Wednesday night does not really count as a ”long” run, but for me it was! Yesterday I felt fine…but man, today the legs are SORE.