General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering for an Ironman in 2014 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-18 6:18 AM

Subject: Registering for an Ironman in 2014
Hello,

I am training for a half ironman (toughman event in NY) in early Sept. My goal is to complete an Ironman by end of 2014. When I go to the Ironman website I see very few open races remaining:
http://www.ironman.com/events/triathlon-races.aspx?d=ironman#axzz2W...

Is this because most of the races for 2014 are already sold out? Or have they not gone on sale yet? Should I be snatching up a registration now, even if it means I'll have to fly to the event (Mexico, Spain or, Australia)? I was really hoping I'd be able to sign up for an early Spring Ironman somewhere closer to NYC so I could drive there and not worry about the flight scariness.

The two caveats: (1) I'd like to somehow build off the fitness I've developed for my half ironman in Sept, (2) I'd like to run another marathon in the next year and was hoping I could squeeze in an international marathon between the half ironman and ironman.

First and foremost: let me know if I should be purchasing a ticket to an ironman event now, or if I can expect more 2014 races to open up in next few months.

Alex

2013-06-18 6:33 AM
in reply to: JethroTuller

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Registering for an Ironman in 2014
the 2014 races go on sale the day after the 2013 race. There has only been one north american race so far this year, Texas, so that is probably the only one open (I don't think it sells out right away). Some races sell out very quickly or right away (Lake Placid, Wisconsin, the old Canada race, Florida, and arizona), so if you want to do one of these races, you will need to be prepared to sign up the minute registration opens (12 pm local time the day after the race). Even then, there is no guarantee to get into these races. I think Arizona sold out minutes after opening last year.

Other races (Texas, Louisville, CdA, cozumel) you will have a little more time to sign up for. I think louisville is still open now for 2013. These races are less popular for a number of reasons, a lot due to whether or loction.
2013-06-18 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Registration does not open for 2014 events until the day after the 2013 event. Some fill very quickly.
2013-06-18 6:51 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

Do you have an idea of which US Ironman races fall earlier in the year? It looks like Wisconsin, Canada, Arizona, etc -- a lot of these occur much later in the year like late summer early Fall.

Ideally, I'd like to compete in an Ironman in the US around mid-Spring/early-Spring.
2013-06-18 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cypress, TX

Texas in mid-May and Coeur D'Alene in mid/late-June are the earliest US races.  Ironman Los Cabos down in Mexico is March 30th.

Texas takes awhile to sell out because 1) Early season and 2) It's freakin' hot (especially for early season as nobody is acclimated).

2013-06-18 7:12 AM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
If the name Ironman is of paramount importance, and you are only considering branded races owned by WTC, then you will leave yourself fewer options. Especially if you are trying to avoid flying and designate a time of year. The northeast doesn't have a ton of early races, since our water is much better after some summer warming.

So I'd suggest that you prioritize three things: time of year (your training and life schedule will dictate that), how far you'll travel (comfort and cost) and finally, WTC vs non-WTC. If you have more flexibility in any one of those choices, you'll have more options.

The Rev3 series is worth considering, there's Chesapeakeman in Columbia MD, Beach to Battleship in NC, and there is a brand new upstate NY race called Peasantman starting this summer.

2013-06-18 7:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2013-06-18 8:08 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by JethroTuller

Hello,

I am training for a half ironman (toughman event in NY) in early Sept. My goal is to complete an Ironman by end of 2014. When I go to the Ironman website I see very few open races remaining:

Is this because most of the races for 2014 are already sold out? Or have they not gone on sale yet? Should I be snatching up a registration now, even if it means I'll have to fly to the event (Mexico, Spain or, Australia)? I was really hoping I'd be able to sign up for an early Spring Ironman somewhere closer to NYC so I could drive there and not worry about the flight scariness.

The two caveats: (1) I'd like to somehow build off the fitness I've developed for my half ironman in Sept, (2) I'd like to run another marathon in the next year and was hoping I could squeeze in an international marathon between the half ironman and ironman.

First and foremost: let me know if I should be purchasing a ticket to an ironman event now, or if I can expect more 2014 races to open up in next few months.

Alex

Like others have said, registration for 2014 does not open until the day after the IM. Since you are in NY, you might want to check out volunteering at IM Lake Placid or IM Mont Tremblant. If there are volunteer slots open for those races, you can go up there during race week, volunteer and then the next morning, volunteers get to sign up on site before general registration opens online to the public. I am doing this for IM Mont Tremblant this summer so I can guarentee myself a spot for 2014. Also, it depends what race and location you really want to do.
2013-06-18 8:08 AM

Master
Crab Cake City
Originally posted by JethroTuller

Hello,

Alex

Like others have said, registration for 2014 does not open until the day after the IM. Since you are in NY, you might want to check out volunteering at IM Lake Placid or IM Mont Tremblant. If there are volunteer slots open for those races, you can go up there during race week, volunteer and then the next morning, volunteers get to sign up on site before general registration opens online to the public. I am doing this for IM Mont Tremblant this summer so I can guarentee myself a spot for 2014. Also, it depends what race and location you really want to do.
2013-06-18 3:14 PM

Alex...first of all, welcome to BT.

There are several things I wanted to advise you on before you narrow down your selections.

1.  You mentioned wanting to target an earlier race in the year.  Are you sure you will be able to train during the winter?  You mentioned your HIM is in New York, so I'm assuming you live in the Northeast?  The biggest reason why there are not early season IMs in the Northern hemisphere is because of the weather and most people don't like to do IM training in the winter.  That's why you see a lot of IMs from December to May in places like Brazil, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Mexico.

2.  You mentioned wanting to do another full marathon between your HIM and your 2014 IM...while also maintaining your HIM fitness.  How do you plan on accomplishing this especially if you're looking at an early season IM?  Most people would not recommend marathon training as a lead up to IM training.  It seems like a reasonable idea at first, but in reality it just doesn't work well.  For most average runners, a marathon takes a lot of training (read: less swimming and biking) and also takes a lot of time to recover from.  That will likely impact your IM training much more negatively than positively.  I'm not saying it can't be done...it's just usually not the best decision for most people...especially those attempting their first IM where they likely need to make fitness gains across all three disciplines.

My advice to you would be to think about how much recovery you want after your HIM.  1 week?  Maybe 3-4 weeks to give yourself a nice mental break as well?  Then try to find an IM plan that works well for where you think you will be after your HIM, and where you want to be for IM training.  Make sure it's realistic.  The plan could be 16 weeks...or something like 26 weeks if you feel like you need 8-10 weeks of base building.  Now try to find a race you may want to do and backfill your training plan.  Does it fit?  Do you have work, family, or other commitments during the time your training plan falls that would prevent you from training properly?  Holidays, graduations, family vacations, reunions, projects, weather, weddings, etc?  If it doesn't look like it will work out, pick a different race, backfill the training and evaluate again.  Rinse...repeat.

The common problem people have when picking a big event like an IM is they only think about race day and forget about all the other logistical road blocks that lead up to race day. 

2013-06-19 1:22 AM

Veteran
Great White North
Just remember Whistler moves to July in 2014. Challenge Penticton (old IM Canada course) will stay in August and will not sell out right away.

2013-06-20 6:22 AM
in reply to: Daffodil

Thanks for letting me know!

Is it the kind of thing I should be sitting with the website open, constantly refreshing, or when you say sell our quickly do you mean sometime over the few days after it has been opened?

(Also: while I have a bunch of triathletes I want to rapid fire ask some questions. Do you wear contacts under your goggles when you swim? Do people really pee while still riding the bike? I'm doing the Philly Trirock Sprint on Sat and might not make it to the Expo by 8pm closing tomorrow, when they say no race day registration how strict is that rule?)
2013-06-20 6:40 AM

Expert
for IMFL, IMAZ, IMWI and IMLP, yes, like being sigend in 15 minutes before it opens and obsessively hitting the refresh button constantly. all of these races have sold out in minutes online before.

Do you wear contacts under your goggles when you swim?
yes, I have daily disposables and have extras in transition and special needs bags as well.

Do people really pee while still riding the bike?
yes, people do. I don't.

I'm doing the Philly Trirock Sprint on Sat and might not make it to the Expo by 8pm closing tomorrow, when they say no race day registration how strict is that rule?)
That will depend on the race. I would try to contact the race organizer.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Registering for an Ironman in 2014 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman 70.3 Las Vegas 2014

Started by buckeyeguy77
Views: 2826 Posts: 5

2013-06-15 4:52 PM ChrisM

IM MELBOURNE 2014

Started by jobaxas
Views: 1719 Posts: 10

2013-04-04 3:23 PM steamin home

Considering IM New Zealand 2014

Started by Climbinggonzo
Views: 2266 Posts: 11

2013-01-04 9:05 PM bzgl40

USAT Oly & Sprint Nationals 2013 & 2014... Pages: 1 2

Started by TriMyBest
Views: 4682 Posts: 26

2013-06-24 1:23 PM mcmanusclan5

Help on BQ-ing in 2014 with triathlon

Started by Acee
Views: 2245 Posts: 7

2013-05-20 2:21 AM AdventureBear
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : January 20, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
Should I buy organic or standard foods? Fresh or frozen vegetables? Low-fat or fat-free milk? Get tips inside.
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : January 29, 2006
author : Nancy Clark
To help implement your resolutions (or those of your friends and family members), I recommend the following books, most of which are written by nutrition experts: registered dietitians (RD).