General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Roadie for First HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-25 7:16 PM

User image

Los Gatos
Subject: Tri Bike or Roadie for First HIM?
I've done half a dozen olys (and a bunch of sprints) and next month will take on my first HIM.

Question - I'm in a real dilemma which bike to use: my tri bike or my road bike?

I always use my tri bike for the shorter distances (and i'm a decent cyclist - usually finish top 25% of my AG for the bike) but I have never ridden more than 25 miles on my tri bike. Anything longer than that (I've done multiple century rides), I've always used my road bike.

The part I'm really concerned about is the run - 13.1 is going to really stretch me (this will be my first half mara in 25 years...) so I want to have as much left in the tank as possible after the bike leg.

So which bike is going to leave me in the best shape possible going into the run - the aerodynamic benefits of my tri bike vs my tried and trusted long distance roadie?

I should add that I'm not looking to set any record,times here - my only goal is to finish with a smile on my face!

This is just a "bucket list" thing - after this I'm going back to olys :-)

Thanks!

2013-06-25 7:20 PM
in reply to: smallard

User image

Subject: RE: Tri Bike or Roadie for First HIM?
The one that fits you better
2013-06-25 8:02 PM

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Originally posted by smallard I've done half a dozen olys (and a bunch of sprints) and next month will take on my first HIM. Question - I'm in a real dilemma which bike to use: my tri bike or my road bike? I always use my tri bike for the shorter distances (and i'm a decent cyclist - usually finish top 25% of my AG for the bike) but I have never ridden more than 25 miles on my tri bike. Anything longer than that (I've done multiple century rides), I've always used my road bike. The part I'm really concerned about is the run - 13.1 is going to really stretch me (this will be my first half mara in 25 years...) so I want to have as much left in the tank as possible after the bike leg. So which bike is going to leave me in the best shape possible going into the run - the aerodynamic benefits of my tri bike vs my tried and trusted long distance roadie? I should add that I'm not looking to set any record,times here - my only goal is to finish with a smile on my face! This is just a "bucket list" thing - after this I'm going back to olys :-) Thanks!

I'm assuming both bikes fit you or else you wouldn't have bought either one :-)  One of the purposes of a "tri bike geometry" beyond the aero benefits is that the geometry is supposed to be more conducive to running off the bike compared to a road bike.  The person's weight is more easily supported by the aerobars of a tri bike because the skeletal system supports the weight (assuming correct fit) versus your torso muscles supporting your body on the road bike. This, plus the differences in how your leg muscles are used on a tri bike make the transition to running easier versus a road bike.

As for having "as much left in the tank as possible after the bike leg" you really need to address that in your training and race pacing...not just a choice of bike geometry.  Good luck!

2013-06-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: 0

Sorry i am really not sure because im not expert, I am preparing for my first 70.3 as well, but if it were me i'd use the road bike since its the one youll be more comfortable in. Unless you can get some long rides on the Tri Bike.

The aero benefits will be non factor if you start the run with discomfort from the bike position. If you are comfortable enough on the roadie you should finish feeling better.

Just my 2 cents, i am a noob but thats what i'd do.

Edited by svalenzuela 2013-06-25 8:09 PM
2013-06-25 8:14 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
If you can put in enough 2+ hour rides on your tri bike to get comfortable for that kind of distance, then go for the tri bike. What will give you the best run is whatever will allow you to not get carried away on the bike leg.

Having said that, the last HIM I did I opted to use my road bike. It was very hilly, and I had no designs on a fast bike split. I had a smile on my face most of the way around, and then put in a pretty good run.
2013-06-25 8:18 PM

User image

Master
I am really confused by this question. Does your tri-bike not fit well enough to compleate your olympic races? I do 95% of my training on a road bike but I would not even consider using it in a non-draft legal race. 56 miles on a road bike without drafting should burn a lot more watts than riding aero on a tri-bike therefore leaving you in worse shape for a run.

My answer is easy- tri-bike for triathlon
raod bike for road race

2013-06-25 8:51 PM
in reply to: pschriver

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
2013-06-25 8:59 PM

User image

Originally posted by pschriver I am really confused by this question. Does your tri-bike not fit well enough to compleate your olympic races? I do 95% of my training on a road bike but I would not even consider using it in a non-draft legal race. 56 miles on a road bike without drafting should burn a lot more watts than riding aero on a tri-bike therefore leaving you in worse shape for a run. My answer is easy- tri-bike for triathlon raod bike for road race

THIS

Assuming you're fit okay on both bikes, the tri bike should get you to T2 about 10-20 minutes faster over the course of 56 miles given the same effort. 

If you're not comfortable staying on your aero bars for 56 miles, you could always alternate between aero and up on the horns.  Assuming you spend about 50% of the time in each position, you'll still be about 5-10 minutes faster over 56 miles given the same effort.

Riding your bike for a shorter period of time saves energy...which can now be used on the run.

2013-06-25 11:21 PM

User image

Los Gatos

Thanks everybody - I think you've answered my question for me: it has to be the tri bike.

I may not be able to sustain the aero position for the whole 56 miles but even if I do 50/50 on the horns, I'm still expending less energy overall than on my roadie.

Tri bike it is...
2013-06-26 6:40 AM

User image

Master
One thing that might help you stay aero on your tri-bike is a less aggresive position. By adding a couple of spacers under the stem or using a less agressive stem you can raise the cockpit. You will notice that a lot of the guys who focus on long course (HIM and IM) tend not to be as low in front. You still should have a couple long rides left before your taper. I would try to do the entire rides in the bars. Anytime you ride upright in the cow horns, you are doing yourselt a disservice. Look on the brightside, there are other guys riding 112 miles in the aerobars, you only have 56.
2013-06-26 7:04 AM

User image

Originally posted by pschriver

One thing that might help you stay aero on your tri-bike is a less aggresive position. By adding a couple of spacers under the stem or using a less agressive stem you can raise the cockpit. You will notice that a lot of the guys who focus on long course (HIM and IM) tend not to be as low in front.

x2. I flipped the stem on my tri bike a couple of months before my last HIM to stay more comfortable with longer distance. Still posted a 2+ mph improvement over my last HIM on a roadie.

2013-06-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Los Gatos

> By adding a couple of spacers under the stem or using a less agressive stem you can raise the cockpit.

That is a really good idea, thanks for this tip - will definitely try this.

Edited by smallard 2013-06-26 9:45 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Bike or Roadie for First HIM? Rss Feed