General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a bike & Whats your dream build? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2013-06-27 10:56 AM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: Building a bike & Whats your dream build?
I'm tempted to build a bike over the course of an undecided period of time by scrounging classifieds forums just for the sake of custom parts and occasionally seeing killer deals. Going to toy with the idea for a few months before I commit to the money spending. I do need some things clarified, though, if someone could tell me...

Just to confirm, a frameset is just the frame, fork and seat post right? It would be a tri bike so I'm assuming a seat post would come with it since I think they're brand specific.

So after a frameset it would be tri bars, a saddle, wheels, cables, brakes and the drivetrain which includes: Bottom bracket, crank arms, pedals, front chainrings, cassette, chain, rear derailleur, front derailleur. Am I missing anything?

With money being no limiter what would your dream build be?

2013-06-27 11:01 AM
in reply to: odpaul7

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Building a bike & Whats your dream build?
I think YOUR dreambuild should be whatever frame you decide on built up with wheels, cranksets, pedals, brakes, cassettes, and other components that I have laying around and would be willing to let go for a really great price.  Laughing
2013-06-27 11:08 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Just to confirm, a frameset is just the frame, fork and seat post right? It would be a tri bike so I'm assuming a seat post would come with it since I think they're brand specific.

correct.

So after a frameset it would be tri bars, a saddle, wheels, cables, brakes and the drivetrain which includes: Bottom bracket, crank arms, pedals, front chainrings, cassette, chain, rear derailleur, front derailleur. Am I missing anything?

Bar end shifters, bar end brakes (not the same as just saying 'brakes'), tires, tubes, bar tape, bottle cage. If you're buying pedals used, you'll need to get cleats separately. Also you're forgetting getting your stack and reach measurements from a fitter in the first place so you can get the right frame, not just the right price. Unless you feel like you can do it yourself, you'll also need a fitting after you put it together, which might mean needing a spacer or two as well.

I'm pretty handy with a bike and went exactly this route for my last build, but don't expect to be able to do this by yourself, both because you can't reasonably get your measurements prior to buying and you probably don't have all the tools necessary to build the bike. Personally, I got my fit done professionally in the first place, bought a frame that matched me perfectly, had a shop put on the crank and BB, then I finished it off. I can't imagine having done it differently.

Edited by fisherman76 2013-06-27 11:08 AM
2013-06-27 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Frame - Cervelo P4 or Suplicy Quantum
Stem - Tririg Sigma
Bars - Profile Design Svet and Ski bends
Saddle - Carbon Arione Tri2
Wheels/Tires - H3 + Bonty Aerowing on the front and Zipp Sub9 (FC rim) + 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa
Crank - Dura Ace 7900 SRM
Brakes - Tririg Omega
Cables - Nokons
Components - Probably actually Microshift Arsis
2013-06-27 11:09 AM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Left Brain: Hahaha the only reason I felt inspired to think about all those custom parts and stuff was I saw DA crankset rolling out for like $100 a couple weeks ago :P so if you have any parts from 2011 or newer your laying around components could just be on the frankenbike!

Fisherman: Definitely! I already have my measurements taken and thanks for adding in to that. It seems like a fun project.

Lee: Oooo sexy build.

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-27 11:13 AM
2013-06-27 11:14 AM
in reply to: Leegoocrap

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Dream build isn't far off from what I'm riding right now:
Frame: Quintana Roo CD0.1
Bars: Integrated Vision TriMax
Saddle-PD TriStryke
Wheels : yeah, this i would upgrade to a Zipp Super9 disc and an 808 FC front. I'll stick with conti GP4000s for tires.
Crank: I ride a 105, which I plan on upgrading to a stages arm on side next year.
Components: 105 derailleurs. Really. I like being that guy that makes the point that a slice of cheese difference in weight does not freaking matter and that I want durable and dependable. Bar end shifters are DA, cuz that's what there is.
Brakes: I don't particularly like the brakes on the CD0.1, but they're adequate and not replaceable, so I'm ok with these.
Cables: jagwire

So I'd get new wheels and the stages arm, otherwise I am one happy camper.

2013-06-27 11:21 AM

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I guess I'm the contrarian (again) and will say that my dream build isn't about the parts hung on the frame, but the configuration of the frame itself -- something NOT offered out there on the market, and is all-day comfortable in an eye-opening way. I'll be making that frame myself some time in the next couple years...
2013-06-27 11:26 AM
in reply to: briderdt

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by briderdt

I guess I'm the contrarian (again) and will say that my dream build isn't about the parts hung on the frame, but the configuration of the frame itself -- something NOT offered out there on the market, and is all-day comfortable in an eye-opening way. I'll be making that frame myself some time in the next couple years...

get to work on making aero shapes out of steel and I'll change my frame choice
2013-06-27 11:36 AM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Dream build will likely never happen but its always fun to drool. Couldn't ever justify the expenditure :P

Frame: Quintana Roo Illicito or Orbea GDR
Bars: Haven't done enough looking... vision trimax or zipp vuka
Saddle- Still would like to try others but my Cobb max is doing well
Wheels : FC 808 front & super 9 CC's. If not for marginal differences over other wheels, then just because its Zipp :P
Crank: SRAM Red w/ Quarq
Components: DA Di2
Brakes: Dunno?
Cables: jagwire

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-27 11:38 AM
2013-06-27 11:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
The GDR is a good bit shorter on reach than the QR, which favors long torso freaks like myself -you sure that sucker would fit? (Not that it matters in dream world, just sayin...that is a SEXY bike though.)
2013-06-27 4:00 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Originally posted by fisherman76

The GDR is a good bit shorter on reach than the QR, which favors long torso freaks like myself -you sure that sucker would fit? (Not that it matters in dream world, just sayin...that is a SEXY bike though.)

I haven't looked at the fit measurements for the GDR, I just always thought the digital look on orbeas looked wicked so I picked the most expensive one from their lineup :P there wasn't much into it other than aesthetic appeal. The QR Cd.01 are also amazing looking bikes. I've got a Kilo C and a friend just got a Cd.01. The camo look is real nice

Edited by odpaul7 2013-06-27 4:01 PM

2013-06-28 9:16 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
I'm riding the bike that was my dream bike.. Look 596Tri with fully Campy Record. Still love that bike, but I saw the new Parlee TTi the other day. Man oh man is that nice! I already have a Parlee Z5, and I didn't have a chance to ride the TTi (built up in the wrong size), but I must say the lust has gotten a grip of me.. Would probably build it with Campy EPS (since all my wheels are Campy hubs...)
2013-06-28 11:39 AM

User image

Elite
Cleveland

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Frame - Cervelo P4 or Suplicy Quantum Stem - Tririg Sigma Bars - Profile Design Svet and Ski bends Saddle - Carbon Arione Tri2 Wheels/Tires - H3 + Bonty Aerowing on the front and Zipp Sub9 (FC rim) + 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa Crank - Dura Ace 7900 SRM Brakes - Tririg Omega Cables - Nokons Components - Probably actually Microshift Arsis

1. Are the Nokons as good as advertised? (guessing yes if you're adding them to your dream build)

2. Will they fit into the internal cabling cutouts on the Cervelo's?  (i.e. a P2K)

2013-06-28 12:40 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Originally posted by cgregg

Originally posted by Leegoocrap Frame - Cervelo P4 or Suplicy Quantum Stem - Tririg Sigma Bars - Profile Design Svet and Ski bends Saddle - Carbon Arione Tri2 Wheels/Tires - H3 + Bonty Aerowing on the front and Zipp Sub9 (FC rim) + 23mm Vittoria Open Corsa Crank - Dura Ace 7900 SRM Brakes - Tririg Omega Cables - Nokons Components - Probably actually Microshift Arsis

1. Are the Nokons as good as advertised? (guessing yes if you're adding them to your dream build)

2. Will they fit into the internal cabling cutouts on the Cervelo's?  (i.e. a P2K)

1.) Yeah, I like them. Also interested in the Alligator I-links, some people I know have switched from Nokons to them because they are a bit lighter and can make even tighter bends. I love mine (enough to have them on two bikes and looking for a deal on the third)

2.) For internal routing you have 2 options. *Some frame (not sure about the Cervelo) you can run the liner all the way through the frame, on my Felt S32 (rear brake is internal) that's what I did. Otherwise (like if it has it's own internal housing) you can just end the liner/links at the start of the internal, then start it again at the exit.

Hope that made sense.
2013-06-28 1:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
I've got an S1 and the internal routing is not designed for housing to go in there. Why would you want it? Just makes the bike heavier. All the internal runs are straight, any time they bend it comes out of the frame.
2013-06-28 1:44 PM
in reply to: cgregg

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Yes, Nokon's are as good as advertised. Really works well. Aligator iLinks might be slightly better yet. Aican Bungarus are the best. Neither would be recommended to run inside of a frame though.... first, the might rattle like crazy (plastic housing is fairly quite inside of a frame... a metal housing, not so much), but more importantly, they are all "pearls" that you either put together over a sleeve (Nokon) or put together straight over the cable (Bungarus/iLink's have integrated sleeves in each "pearl").

2013-06-28 2:24 PM

User image

Pro

I do really like the feel and fit of the Felts, so I'd probably go with a DA frame.  Plus, it's of 'superbike' aero category without looking ridiculous like the P5 or Shiv.  Second choice would be a CD0.1 or Illicito frame.  Third choice might be the Orbea- but I've never ridden it.  Probably not as aero, but it sure looks cool.

Add to that 11 speed Di2.  the benefits of dual position electronic shifting on a TT bike cannot be underestimated.

The best cranks are dura-ace, but I don't like the way they look, plus you can't get a Quarq power meter on them, so I'd go with a Quarq SRAM Red crank setup.  Whatever you do... don't skip the powermeter!

then, I'd probably throw on some FLO 60's (do they make them with 11 speed spacing yet?)

I'm happy with my Profile Design tri-stryke saddle- the one with the cutout!  I'd keep that, plus it's inexpensive.

I'd stick with my Look Keo Max2 pedals as well.  they're fine.

Brakes, well, the Felt ones that come with the frame.  Not sure if you could put something else on there.

2013-07-18 9:04 PM
in reply to: morey000

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by morey000

I do really like the feel and fit of the Felts, so I'd probably go with a DA frame.  Plus, it's of 'superbike' aero category without looking ridiculous like the P5 or Shiv.  Second choice would be a CD0.1 or Illicito frame.  Third choice might be the Orbea- but I've never ridden it.  Probably not as aero, but it sure looks cool.

Add to that 11 speed Di2.  the benefits of dual position electronic shifting on a TT bike cannot be underestimated.

The best cranks are dura-ace, but I don't like the way they look, plus you can't get a Quarq power meter on them, so I'd go with a Quarq SRAM Red crank setup.  Whatever you do... don't skip the powermeter!

then, I'd probably throw on some FLO 60's (do they make them with 11 speed spacing yet?)

I'm happy with my Profile Design tri-stryke saddle- the one with the cutout!  I'd keep that, plus it's inexpensive.

I'd stick with my Look Keo Max2 pedals as well.  they're fine.

Brakes, well, the Felt ones that come with the frame.  Not sure if you could put something else on there.

To start, I'm honored we made your dream bike list To answer your question, yes we offer 11 speed. Currently it's available on the FLO 30, 60, and 90. We are still testing the FLO DISC for compatibility.

All the best,
2013-07-19 9:18 PM

i'm close to my dream bike now (Felt B16 frame with all Ultegra drivetrain, dura ace shifter, TRP carbon brake levers, dura ace rear brake, sram red black front brake, profile design cockpit, SRAM 60/80 wheels, and DA cabling); but I was to build a new bike with money as no option it would look like this

frame: DA1
cockpit: 3T
drivetrain: DA 9000
shifters: DA 9000
bottom braket: hawks racing
derailleur pulleys: hawks racing
brake levers: TRP carbon
front brake: dura ace 9000
wheels: HED Jet 6/9
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Building a bike & Whats your dream build? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Build your dream bike!

Started by metcalf34
Views: 3478 Posts: 11

2012-10-07 6:27 PM bart123

Build phase and lucid dreams

Started by UrsusAdiposimus
Views: 630 Posts: 1

2009-10-19 5:16 PM UrsusAdiposimus

Building your own bike and bike fit???

Started by Rudedog55
Views: 1073 Posts: 3

2008-08-19 5:20 PM cooutdoors

Pace building or endurance building?

Started by CBarnes
Views: 1002 Posts: 9

2007-06-08 9:16 AM chirunner134

BUILD VS BASE? Whats the difference

Started by charles81
Views: 3136 Posts: 12

2005-01-03 7:06 AM Rich Strauss
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 20, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
I'm considering a road frame buildup, what considerations should I take into account when swapping all of my components from my current setup to a new frame?

date : December 22, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
This month, the focus will be on building your aerobic base while improving or maintaining stroke technique.
date : October 22, 2008
author : Curt Chesney
What training do you do during your off season? Any advice on what to aim for? Should I focus on building a better base?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
This part of the program is the conditioning phase using several bodyweight exercises including pushups, pullups, dips, squats and situps.
date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.

date : June 11, 2007
author : Total Immersion
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.

date : April 2, 2006
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussions on endurance building, bilateral breathing, kick drills with zoomers, tri versus competitive swimming, ramping up for a HIM and swim golf.